Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile Unlimited Calls Texts 5GB Data €20 per Month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cembellines

Hi guys, sounds great. Do you know if you get to keep ur credit with Meteor pay as u go plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Hi guys, sounds great. Do you know if you get to keep ur credit with Meteor pay as u go plans?

meteor take your credit with any of there deals . As far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

castle2012 wrote: »
    meteor take your credit with any of there deals . As far as i know

I heard that as well, used to be the case where you kept your kept your credit. Might be a plan to push people onto bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cembellines

If that's the case Tescos is the way to go

The rest have pushed a price increase through the back door. You could keep your credit with most operator s up until recently when buying into a deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Thinking of leaving Tesco, mobile, i was in Wexford for the weekend and once outside any town zero coverage, was in blackwater and screen and nothing, no internet for 3 day ��.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,457 ✭✭✭✭ted1

48 are cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Thinking of leaving Tesco, mobile, i was in Wexford for the weekend and once outside any town zero coverage, was in blackwater and screen and nothing, no internet for 3 day ��.

They have fairly detailed maps of their coverage available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    48 are cheaper.

48's €10 plan is obviously cheaper while offering far less. However TM's €15 and €20 plans are much better value for money then the equivalent 48 plans.

€10 48 months
    300 mobiles minutes, 60 local minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data

€15 48 months
    500 mobiles minutes, 20 local minutes!, unlimited texts, 1GB data

€20 48 months
    unlimited mobile calls, 60 local minutes, unlimited texts, 5GB data

€15 TM
    unlimited mobile minutes, unlimited local calls, unlimited texts, 1GB data

€20 TM
    unlimited mobile minutes, unlimited local calls, unlimited texts, 5GB data

As you can see above, the TM €15 and €20 plans offer way better value for money.

However even beyond this, having been originally with 48 months and then switched to Tesco Mobile, TM has loads of other advantages:

- TM give you 250 web texts, including 50 international, nothing from 48
    - TM have a good iphone/adnroid app that allows you to send web texts, handy when abroad.
    - Cheap international calls as low as 1c per minute, international calls are 50c to 75c per minute with 48!!!
    - You can't do international data roaming on 48, you can with TM
    - You get tesco clubcard points when you top up.
    - €5 worth of tesco clubcard points converts to a €15 top up, I basically get a free month about every third month, making the average monthly cost more €10
    - TM has much better customer support, 48 can only be contacted by email, TM can be called by phone, have stores around the country and even an excellent responsive forum here on boards.
    - TM send you a text when you miss a call due to being out of coverage or on another call, 48 don't have this feature (I found this very frustrating).
    - 48 cut you off after 60 minutes on a call, so you have to call back again. TM don't cut you off, at least not that I've found.
    - You can decide to change what you get every month. For instance you might decide not to get the free texts and just use whatapp and the free webtexts instead. Or you might get 5GB of data one month and just 1GB the second month. Greater flexibility.
    - You can also stack data from one month to the next, for instance if you get 5GB the first month but only use 2GB, leaving you 3GB left over, you can then add 1GB of data just before it runs out and you will have 4GB for the next 30 days. Great way of saving money, I only buy a 5GB once every 6 months or so.

While on the surface, they might look similar, in my experience of having used both, Tesco Mobile is far superior and cheaper service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

bk wrote: »
    However even beyond this, having been originally with 48 months and then switched to Tesco Mobile, TM has loads of other advantages:

While on the surface, they might look similar, in my experience of having used both, Tesco Mobile is far superior and cheaper service.

I only switched to TM recently and I find them great. Your post covers everything and shows how good TM is.

I recently ditched my Eircom landline and my emobile pay monthy for TM €15/month. I don't make a huge amount of calls but being able to ring UK for 1c/minute is brilliant. The clubcard points are a bonus too. I got my first smart phone ever when I switched to TM because of the data they offer. I also find on average it effectively works out at €10/month.

Overall a great service at a fantastic price.

• Advertisement

48's €10 plan is obviously cheaper while offering far less. However TM's €15 and €20 plans are much better value for money then the equivalent 48 plans.

€10 48 months
    300 mobiles minutes, 60 local minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data

€15 48 months
    500 mobiles minutes, 20 local minutes!, unlimited texts, 1GB data

€20 48 months
    unlimited mobile calls, 60 local minutes, unlimited texts, 5GB data

€15 TM
    unlimited mobile minutes, unlimited local calls, unlimited texts, 1GB data

€20 TM
    unlimited mobile minutes, unlimited local calls, unlimited texts, 5GB data

As you can see above, the TM €15 and €20 plans offer way better value for money.

- TM give you 250 web texts, including 50 international, nothing from 48
    - TM have a good iphone/adnroid app that allows you to send web texts, handy when abroad.
    - Cheap international calls as low as 1c per minute, international calls are 50c to 75c per minute with 48!!!
    - You can't do international data roaming on 48, you can with TM
    - You get tesco clubcard points when you top up.
    - €5 worth of tesco clubcard points converts to a €15 top up, I basically get a free month about every third month, making the average monthly cost more €10
    - TM has much better customer support, 48 can only be contacted by email, TM can be called by phone, have stores around the country and even an excellent responsive forum here on boards.
    - TM send you a text when you miss a call due to being out of coverage or on another call, 48 don't have this feature (I found this very frustrating).
    - 48 cut you off after 60 minutes on a call, so you have to call back again. TM don't cut you off, at least not that I've found.
    - You can decide to change what you get every month. For instance you might decide not to get the free texts and just use whatapp and the free webtexts instead. Or you might get 5GB of data one month and just 1GB the second month. Greater flexibility.
    - You can also stack data from one month to the next, for instance if you get 5GB the first month but only use 2GB, leaving you 3GB left over, you can then add 1GB of data just before it runs out and you will have 4GB for the next 30 days. Great way of saving money, I only buy a 5GB once every 6 months or so.

very well put together. So Tesco mobile is a bargain compared to all other networks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

loyatemu wrote: »
    for whatever reason I've found Tesco's data speeds better than O2's - perhaps O2 have a certain amount reserved for Tesco and Tesco have fewer users so its quicker? No 4G though.

Personally I find Tesco Mobile not that great.
    Phone calls constantly get dropped or there is an echo.
    Texts the odd time can be delayed (rarely happened me with 02), even yesterday there was a delay of a few hours.
    Data is very cheap but speed is not that great. My partner who is with 02 has better speeds, I put my sim into theirs in case it was my phone at fault but still the speed was slower.

Fine for casual use but definitely not for important calls or emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

BookBook wrote: »
    Texts the odd time can be delayed (rarely happened me with 02), even yesterday there was a delay of a few hours.
    Data is very cheap but speed is not that great. My partner who is with 02 has better speeds, I put my sim into theirs in case it was my phone at fault but still the speed was slower.

Have you changed the data settings, I noticed a speed improvement with the new settings http://www.tescomobile.ie/support/question.aspx?id=81 .

I'm with TM years, I think they have improved over time regarding options.
    Whats this stacking of data? must be with the new plans, I'm on a bundle where I get a multiple of my top up as bonus credit.
    I'm only making use of the webtexts which are much easier to access on my new smartphone than my old one.

I usually top up by €10 and between that and the bonus credit lasts me the month, usually I cant use all the bonus credit.
    If I wasn't on this patg plan Id definitely go on one of their newer plans,
    the €15 one.
    The data used to be dearer, now its €5 for 1gb, I could barely use 100mb when I started, now I supplement my home usage by connecting to data rather than wireless to keep my usage there under the cap and I think I could get the 5GB €10 to use it more (5X times as much for double the price and still have €20 for calls), and because it can be easily tracked on my phone, although I find myself just watching youtube videos just to use up my allocation now, I could use it more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Would that be the triple credit plan? Lovin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

Have you changed the data settings, I noticed a speed improvement with the new settings http://www.tescomobile.ie/support/question.aspx?id=81 .

Thanks for that Dublin Texas. I did indeed update the settings and when i tried out the sim on the OH's fancier phone i made sure these settings were being used too. It was only a once off test though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Seems like quite a good deal and very difficult to beat. I'm sick of Three and have had enough of their shoddy service and customer care. When does the unlimited calls and text offer end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Mr. G wrote: »
    Seems like quite a good deal and very difficult to beat. I'm sick of Three and have had enough of their shoddy service and customer care. When does the unlimited calls and text offer end?

Once your number is on the unlimited calls for a €15 top-up plan its for life unless you yourself migrate from the network or opt into a different plan at some future point. Only the €15 top-up for unlimited calls is the only 'plan' per se. The unlimited texts for €10 of your €15 top-up is an add-on that you have to opt into and can be changed at anytime (although any change is likely to make it cheaper due to competition from free texts services).

snubbleste wrote: »
    Would that be the triple credit plan? Lovin it.

Yes, the triple decker
    no fries though,
    Im tempted by their new offers, but this keeps my actual required top up amount lower, and Im sure I can get a practically similar usage out of my plan and opt into add ons as and when I need, at this point €5 is diverted by me to data. Ive €5 left for international calls in the event I need that, could use skype/viber on wifi if I upped that and it's there as a backup too.
    Got the webtexts which have 50 international which I should try use, so a bit of extra coverage there, no real need to get into any web messaging like whatsapp.

At the moment Im just trying to get into the habit of going to the webtext and using that for texts.
    Plus I've all my bonus credit left for other text messages or calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Happened few times to me as well, sent texts at night which weren't received until next day (their phone was on). Rang Tesco who said I was the first person reporting this issue..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

castle2012 wrote: »
    very well put together. So Tesco mobile is a bargain compared to all other networks

Yes, by far the best deal on the market.

I haven't found any of these issues, maybe it is your phone (I'm on an iPhone 5s). I work for a large multinational US IT company and I use my phone and TM for calls/texts all the time and no issues.
    cerastes wrote: »
    Whats this stacking of data? must be with the new plans, I'm on a bundle where I get a multiple of my top up as bonus credit.

Yeah I'm on the new pay as you go plan, €15 top up gives you unlimited calls.

I then use €10 of the €15 credit for unlimited texts add-on and €5 for 1GB data add on. About once every six months I top up by €20 instead and get a 5GB data add on instead.

The stacking data thing is a bit of a trick, there are two times of data addons:

- Recurring ones, these automatically give you either 1GB or 5GB every month, however you then lose any unused data from the previous month.
    - Manually added data add on. On the first month if you buy a 5GB add on, you have it for 30 days. If you then buy a 1GB add on just before the 30 days run out (say the 28th day), then you get 1GB for the next 32 days, plus what ever you had left over from the previous 5GB add on.

So for me it looks like:

- Month 1, buy 5GB, use 1.5GB = 3.5GB left
    - Month 2, buy 1GB, now have 4.5GB, use 1.5GB = 3GB
    - Month 3, buy 1GB, now have 4GB, use 1.5GB = 2.5GB
    ....... etc.

The only thing with this you most remember to buy the 1GB before the previous 30 days data runs out or you will lose everything you already built up. I simply have a reminder set in my calendar to buy the new data addon every month, only takes 30 seconds by a text message.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

I haven't found any of these issues, maybe it is your phone (I'm on an iPhone 5s). I work for a large multinational US IT company and I use my phone and TM for calls/texts all the time and no issues.

I then use €10 of the €15 credit for unlimited texts add-on and €5 for 1GB data add on. About once every six months I top up by €20 instead and get a 5GB data add on instead.

The stacking data thing is a bit of a trick, there are two times of data addons:

- Recurring ones, these automatically give you either 1GB or 5GB every month, however you then lose any unused data from the previous month.
    - Manually added data add on. On the first month if you buy a 5GB add on, you have it for 30 days. If you then buy a 1GB add on just before the 30 days run out (say the 28th day), then you get 1GB for the next 32 days, plus what ever you had left over from the previous 5GB add on.

So for me it looks like:

....... etc.

The only thing with this you most remember to buy the 1GB before the previous 30 days data runs out or you will lose everything you already built up. I simply have a reminder set in my calendar to buy the new data addon every month, only takes 30 seconds by a text message.

Excellent :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I really dislike this new teen of having to use your credit to buy things. In the good old days you got all this stuff and no messing around with buying bundles.

Topup with €20, get free calls, texts, data. 30 days later use €20 credit for more calls, texts and data. When that's gone Topup with €20. Too up with €20 and have €40 credit. Use your credit only for international calls.

That's how every plan I've ever wen I worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

So for me it looks like:

....... etc.

So you never buy the recurring data, you just buy it each month(twice in the 1st month start and end)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm going to switch from 3 Bill Pay to €25 per month Bill Pay Tesco SIM only deal. I have an iPhone 4S but just wondering if it's locked to 3. How do I know if it is or not?

glic83 wrote: »
    So you never buy the recurring data, you just buy it each month(twice in the 1st month start and end)?

Yes, exactly. A little extra effort, but well worth it IMO.
    Topup with €20, get free calls, texts, data. 30 days later use €20 credit for more calls, texts and data. When that's gone Topup with €20. Too up with €20 and have €40 credit. Use your credit only for international calls.

That's how every plan I've ever wen I worked.

The difference is in the past you didn't get unlimited calls and texts, just a certain (usually low) amounts of minutes.

With these new Tesco Mobile plan you get unlimited calls and minutes. Going from paying Vodafone at least €60 per month for just 300 minutes and texts to €15 (more like €10 with Tesco clubcard points) per month for unlimited was a revelation.

With your €20 you might get two months out of it, or about €10 per month. With Tesco Mobile with clubcard points it also works out at about €10 per month, but gives you more.

If you really prefer the old system, 3 still have it.

However big warning about 3, I was with them for one month and couldn't leave quick enough! Terrible network coverage, I'd lose all reception even in Dublin City Center and terrible customer care. Also their €20 plan doesn't include weekday calls and I would thus find I was actually running through the €20 in less then a month!!!

From my perspective, TM is better in every way.
    Moanin wrote: »
    I'm going to switch from 3 Bill Pay to €25 per month Bill Pay Tesco SIM only deal. I have an iPhone 4S but just wondering if it's locked to 3. How do I know if it is or not?

You can order a free SIM from Tesco Mobile on their website, just stick it in the phone and try it when it arrives. If it works you can then port your old number to the Tesco sim.

If it is locked and if you are finished your contract with 3 then you are entitled to get your phone unlocked by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I want to put a tesco mobile sim into an unlocked smart phone. What's the story with the charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

top up by 15 euro. no charges.
    unlimited calls text and 1gb of data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

daytob wrote: »
    top up by 15 euro. no charges.
    unlimited calls text and 1gb of data

I'm with Three and am tempted. However, when you go on holiday, if Three have a network in that country, your tariff transfers - including unlimited data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yoozername

Does anyone know what this means?

Top up €15 or more in one go:
    UNLIMITED Calls to All Mobiles & Landlines
    FREE Tesco Mobile to Tesco Mobile calls & texts, 250 Free webtexts
    Keep your €15 credit – Spend on added value add ons.

From here:
    www tescomobile ie / priceplans / pay-as-you-go-plans.aspx

What's the difference between UNLIMITED and FREE, in this context? Quite confusing, because I just topped up by €15 but I was charged 13c for a 10 sec call to a landline, hmm....

Advertisement