Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build 900-1200 euro

Options
  • 11-08-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

Obviously my last thread was lacking in background info. I'm looking for a pc for web development, other media creation, gaming and streaming media to various devices around the house.

I'd like to be able run games at a reasonable quality at 1440p, as I have the asus PB298Q, which my Xbox can't really take advantage of. I will be playing games like Bf3/bf4, skyrim, bioshock & some future titles along will less intensive games like Minecraft & FM.

Doing a quick google, the r9 290 seems to be the card for me as I dont really want to try crossfire. It might be overkill but I'd like to get a reasonably good PC.

This is my first gaming PC and I'd like to build it myself. Ideally this would have low power consumption when not doing anything intensive, but thats not a deal breaker.

Questionnaire

1. What is your budget? Anywhere between 900-1200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Media Server (possible to have Low energy when I just want to run transcoding in the bg?)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] Nope!

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] 2560x1440, nope

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Bluetooth, optical out would be nice, gigabit ethernet

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Not currrently but willing to try it later

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] Couple of days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I want to try build it myself

Sample build

This is something I tried doing a couple weeks ago. Still unsure about compatibility & totally unsure about the motherboard & the PSU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (€309.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€70.39 @ Hardwareversand)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€81.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€172.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€50.39 @ Pixmania DE)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card (€401.22 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€80.35 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€130.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1297.19

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

From the case and motherboard, you are going for a microATX build? I am not 100% sure on this, but can you use that graphics card in that configuration, or will you run into airflow problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

As I said I'm relatively new to all of this so any help would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't buy from multiple places. Better off just buying everything in the same place. Hardwareversand.de is probably your best bet.

R9 290 isn't overkill at 1440, you will be able to play pretty much anything at ultra settings comfortably enough.

Can save a big chunk of money by going for the i5-4690, gaming performance will be the same really. Also get a CPU cooler for it, perhaps.

You can get a good quality 512GB SSD for the same price as that one you've picked.

PSU is a bit overkill, this would be more than enough.

This is the case I have, love it! Very tidy and compact. Miss the bling sometimes though. It's a little boring in some ways.

This is a great video card, same speed as the 290X really.

Few tweaks to this build. Considering buying some components from Amazon UK, but only because the price differences are minimal & free delivery.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/q7X26h

The one thing I dont really understand is the variants of r9 290 cards, if they all share the same chipset whats the USP of one over the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Different coolers and fan setups. Some of them also have factory overclock over the base(what is called 'reference') card. Some manufacturers include different accessories in the box, or bundle them with games, etc. It allows you to get different variations on the card suited to different markets and use cases. Some people might even want certain colour schemes or designs! Of course, price is also the other factor- it adds competition rather than just buying all your cards directly from Nvidia and AMD as OEMs. The reference R9 290 was kind of horrible/infamous, really hot(AMD set it to always run at 90C) and loud. The aftermarket versions improve on that and make it much more usable.

For example, I recently got this R9 290, where Sapphire have overclocked the processor and memory clock, and added their Tri-X cooler. I chose that particular one because it was a good price, I have had nothing but good experience with Sapphire, and their cooler helps the card run nice and cool in my cramped case. [I can fully recommend this card by the way, it is big so you would want to check it will fit in your case, but it has great performance and I haven't seen it go over 70c yet.]

The card posted by TerrorFirmer above is, from what I can see in reviews, more suitable for people who want to overclock the card, since it has an excellent cooler. It also comes with a better out-of-the-box overclock than mine.

• Advertisement

That does indeed make sense properly thinking about it. So it would be worth the 20GBP over the Asus version then?

Is the motherboard alright? There are literally 1000's of variants / options / models that i'm finding it difficult to find the best one for me. Will/Should I cheap out on it? Or it literally just the socket that I should worry about?

About to pull the plug

Any final suggestions before I make the purchase :)

AWROTeJ.png

Just purchased them, about 100 euro less on Hardwareversand!

yIJkMbr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Did you use geizhals?
    would have saved yourself another 50-60 euro at least.

Nope, hadn't heard of it until just now :/ how does it get lower prices for the same website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭al.

Geizhals is a German price comparison website so finds the best price for each component and hardwareversand match it. Something along those lines anyway, there is a thread about it somewhere on here.

I put your build through geizhals and it came to 976. Final prices look like this:

Total:
    976,65 €

Article No. HV1034SBDE
    Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort,full retail
    Delivery date unknown

352,75 €
    Article No. HV12SEV2DE
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s
    ready for dispatch
    105,45 €

Article No. HV20469KDE
    Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150
    ready for dispatch
    201,63 €

Article No. HV1143IDDE
    Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3, Sockel 1150, ATX
    Delivery date unknown
    73,69 €

Article No. HVR650CEDE
    Corsair Enthusiast Series RM650, Modular, 80 Plus Gold 650 Watt
    ready for dispatch from 2014-08-19
    94,90 €

Article No. HV203O09DE
    Corsair Carbide Series 300R, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    ready for dispatch
    64,34 €

Article No. HV30CS48DE
    Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Blue Quiet Edition
    Delivery date unknown
    10,11 €

Article No. HV20G407DE
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2400, CL11-13-13-31
    Delivery date unknown
    73,78 €

Would have been about a 70 euro saving but no point in worrying about it now. I copied your build as i really like the look of it. Can you let me know how it goes once you have assembled it. I might order the same build if you are happy with yours.

Thanks.

Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

miralize wrote: »
    Few tweaks to this build. Considering buying some components from Amazon UK, but only because the price differences are minimal & free delivery.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/q7X26h

The one thing I dont really understand is the variants of r9 290 cards, if they all share the same chipset whats the USP of one over the other?

You didn't get that Noctua CPU cooler, did you? The stock Intel one will do the job if you're going to be running at stock clocks. That's probably the most overkill thing about the whole system, Noctua make fantastic coolers, but only really necessary if you're going to be overclocking it (which your setup doesn't suggest).

You didn't get that Noctua CPU cooler, did you? The stock Intel one will do the job if you're going to be running at stock clocks. That's probably the most overkill thing about the whole system, Noctua make fantastic coolers, but only really necessary if you're going to be overclocking it (which your setup doesn't suggest).

No looking into it, I didn't need the extra cooler just yet. I'll probably switch out. the motherboard for a msi gaming 7 mobo when I'm ready to oc, along with a better cup cooler

Advertisement