Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

beegeedee wrote: »
    So, like what The Irish justice system does then? I can definitely think of at least a dozen cases that shocked and disgusted me.

I'm not saying it's right. It's horrible.

No charges

A British UN project manager shot by an Israeli sniper was unlawfully killed, a UK inquest has concluded.

Iain Hook, 54, of Felixstowe, Suffolk, was in a UN compound in Jenin when he was shot in November 2002.
    On Friday, jurors unanimously agreed Mr Hook, who was born in Essex, had been the victim of a "deliberate" killing. Coroner Dr Peter Dean said he was so concerned by the case and the fact 13 UN workers have died in Jenin, he will write to Prime Minister Tony Blair.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/suffolk/4534620.stm

No charges

Two Palestinian boys have been shot dead by Israeli troops in the northern Gaza Strip, Palestinian sources say.
    The children were estimated to be between eight and 13 years old. They have not yet been identified.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6712485.stm

No charges

Israel's attorney general says no policemen will be prosecuted over the killing of 13 Arab Israeli protesters in 2000.
    Menachem Mazuz said there was insufficient evidence to pursue a prosecution against officers who opened fire during anti-government riots.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7212394.stm

No charges

http://www.counterpunch.org/2002/11/23/i-was-shot-while-trying-to-protect-jenin-s-children/

No charges

Palestinian Girl Shot While At Un School Dies Of Injuries From Gunfire
    Just two months shy of her tenth birthday, Ghadeer Jaber Mokheimer died today of injuries sustained when, sitting in a United Nations school, she was hit by gunfire from an Israeli military position on the outskirts of Khan Younis camp, the UN relief agency helping Palestinians (UNRWA) reported.
    http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0410/S00162.htm

No charges

In March 2003, 12-year old Hoda Darwish was sitting at her desk when she was hit in the head by a bullet fired from an Israeli observation post on the outskirts of Khan Younis. The bullet struck her head and left her blind.
    http://reliefweb.int/report/israel/opt-israeli-gunfire-hits-11-year-old-girl-sitting-her-desk-unrwa-school

No charges

"Islam Dwidar's classmates were still taking in her shocking death - the teacher weeping outside before facing the girls, her closest friend recounting how they walked to school together each day - when the news arrived about Tahreer Abu El Jidyan.
    The two 15-year-old pupils at Jabaliya's school were both shot in the head by Israeli soldiers inside their homes just a few blocks and several hours apart. Islam died almost immediately after the bullet smashed through her forehead as she baked bread with her mother in their yard on Sunday. Tahreer is still on life support at a Gaza hospital after an operation to remove shards of shattered skull from her brain."
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/06/Israel

No charges

About 11.30am last Tuesday, within moments of each other, Asma al-Mughair, 16, and her brother Ahmed, 13, died on the roof of their home in the Tel Sultan district of Rafah.
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/23/1085250870992.html?oneclick=true

Do you get the idea now or do you want me to go on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 beegeedee

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    It's an understandable dilemma you pose but there is a problem with it. Israel could avoid the situation by dismantling the settlements in the west bank and removing their army of occupation and they could remove the naval and border freeze of Gaza. They could release all the illegally held prisoners they have kidnapped over the years and they pay for the cost of reconstructing the Palestinian infrastructure.

It was a bit like that in early 2000's. I remember 200 Israelis being killed by suicide bombers in one week. Why do you think they put up the walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

In the end, both sides are wrong. Hamas is wrong for completely disregarding any opportunity for peace and also for disregarding the lives of the Palestinians as a consequence (note the differentiation here - they are not the same)

Israel on the other hand are wrong because of the heavy handed tactics they are using which puts it mildly. They are targeting rocket sights and perhaps could use a lot more care.

The problem is this: Were they really supposed to do nothing? If they did, does that indicate to Hamas that it was okay fire rockets at Israel?

Nothing is right about this. Both sides are wrong.

Just because Israel has iron dome doesn't mean it's okay for rockets to be fired at them. Just because rockets are stored by Hamas in schools, mosques and housing districts means it's okay for them to be targeted. It's certainly wrong for this to be done in the first place.

Doesn't matter what the Israeli government does, they cannot ever win. Doing nothing would destroy the government. Doing something means harming innocents.

The whole situation is totally screwed up.

I disagree. The Israeli government can stop the genocide, lift the starvation blockade. Make it criminal to murder a little girl regardless of her race/origin, and give palestinians equal rights. The more I read on this thread the more it disgusts and repulses me. How anybody can condone this nazi behaviour is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It was a bit like that in early 2000's. I remember 200 Israelis being killed by suicide bombers in one week. Why do you think they put up the walls?

So that they can now herd them* out of there homes and systematically slaughter them in UN shelters with no chance of escape

* palestinians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Kev2Dee wrote: »
    New ceasefire agreed....? 72hours as of 7am Israeli time....spearheaded by ban ki moon, and john Kerry jus reported on CNN

Agreed by Israel and Hamas, apparently.

http://www.bbc.com/news/28596609

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Hamas and Israel agree a 72 Hour Truce
    The UN and US say all sides have agreed to an unconditional 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire in the Gaza Strip.

In a joint statement US Secretary of State John Kerry and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said Hamas and Israel will observe the truce from 8am local time.

Israeli ground forces will, however, remain in place.

"This ceasefire is critical to giving innocent civilians a much-needed reprieve from violence," the statement said.

"During this period, civilians in Gaza will receive urgently needed humanitarian relief, and the opportunity to carry out vital functions, including burying the dead, taking care of the injured, and restocking food supplies.

"We urge all parties to act with restraint until this humanitarian ceasefire begins, and to fully abide by their commitments during the ceasefire."

Israeli and Palestinian delegations are to travel to Cairo immediately to negotiate a more durable ceasefire during the halt in fighting.

http://news.sky.com/story/1311150/israel-and-hamas-agree-72-hour-gaza-truce

bumper234 wrote: »
    Are you really attempting to justify the murder of this 10 year old child?

Really?? Can you not read?

No, I am not. There is no justification. My point was while it is totally tragic, the Israeli justice system should be left o deal with it, however screwed up it may or may not be.

Source?

No, I am not. There is no justification. My point was while it is totally tragic, the Israeli justice system should be left o deal with it, however screwed up it may or may not be.

And if its a sectarian/racist two tier system that persecutes on population while allowing another free reign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of Children:

"At least 30 people, most of them children, have been wounded after Israeli tanks shelled an area close to an UN-run school in Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza on Thursday."

"It comes just a day after at least 15 Palestinians were killed in a different UN school, in an Israeli attack condemned by world leaders."

"Issam Al Attar, who was sheltering in the school, said he despaired of anyone coming to the help of Gaza: “All of them were children sleeping. What are they guilty of? No one cares about them – no feeling. Where is Egypt? Where are the Arab countries?”

Now many who were told by the Israeli army they would be safer to leave their homes are considering returning.

Samir Al Tumi said there was nowhere safe to go: “We are dying of fear, I want to go and die in my own home rather than die in a UN school because there is no safety here, none whatsoever.”

http://www.euronews.com/2014/07/31/fresh-israeli-shelling-hits-un-school-injuring-scores-of-children/

another day another school. more kids blown up and injured . stay classy IDF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

It was a bit like that in early 2000's. I remember 200 Israelis being killed by suicide bombers in one week.
    That never happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_suicide_attacks#2001_.2840_bombings.29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

mrsweebri wrote: »
    You are asking me to answer my own question, and you are being aggressive. I asked who Was meant by 'they' , as I do not see the logic behind suggestion Israel won't stop with Palestinian land. The user answered, I accepted his answer and explained my reasons behind my thoughts. You are insisting that I am accusing you of something, I have stated I did not. I have nothing more to say on that matter.

Ah, hardly, he's not dropping a hardened structure ordnance onto your apartment block, one that penetrates till it can't any more, then it stops, usually deep underground, there's a pause, a deathly silence..then a blast that lifts and folds the entire building, killing everyone and everything for a 100m radius. Now, that's being aggressive.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    So that they can now herd them* out of there homes and systematically slaughter them in UN shelters with no chance of escape

* palestinians

Nope. To stop adults and children being blown up in buses, cafés on the way to school/work with nail bombs and crushed by rogue bulldozers. Back then Palestinians worked in Israel in relative peace and dozens of attempted bombings happened every day...as well as the ones that happened daily.

What were they supposed to do??? Keep letting it happen?

Like I said they cannot win regardless of what they do. There is no right way.

Nope. To stop adults and children being blown up in buses, cafés on the way to school/work with nail bombs and crushed by rogue bulldozers. Back then Palestinians worked in Israel in relative peace and dozens of attempted bombings happened every day...as well as the ones that happened daily.

If you'd care to respond to my previous posts please....

Nodin wrote: »
    Source?

refer to "anglo bail-out figures". Same source used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Watch this documentary, if you are poor and on foot you queue at checkpoints between Gaza and Israel for hours

Get a new car you can drive straight through, so where are all these suicide bombers the Israelis fear,?

http://rt.com/shows/documentary/176624-news-team-episode-17/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Ah, hardly, he's not dropping a hardened structure ordnance onto your apartment block, one that penetrates till it can't any more, then it stops, usually deep underground, there's a pause, a deathly silence..then a blast that lifts and folds the entire building, killing everyone and everything for a 100m radius. Now, that's being aggressive.

I wouldn't bother with mrsweebri he accuses people of things but not directly.
    Denies he did so and then refuses to answer any questions he is asked.

Smells fishy.

You on the 9 to 11 shift? Doing a bit of overtime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Can't see this lasting AT ALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

What happens during the three days of the ceasefire then?

It has to be handed to Ban Ki Moon in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

What happens during the three days of the ceasefire then?

No firing preferably.

Nodin wrote: »
    Source?

I remember it clearly. A Scottish kid was killed in Jerusalem while on holiday by a Palestinian suicide bomber along with 17 others on a bus. He was 18. He was kept alive on life support while his parents flew there. Donated a kidney to a dying Palestinian. Someone I know knew him.

Good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

but they didn't!!!!!!

A ****ing ten year old child was brutally murdered in cold blood and the **** that didmit was charged with conduct unbecoming of an officer! I know soldiers who got charged with that for being ****ing drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

pedro1234 wrote: »
    Can't see this lasting AT ALL.

When they set a time for the truce, i am holding my breath just before.

There will be an increase in the slaughter just before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

3 days for the Israelis to help us forget with propaganda what bastards they are

I remember it clearly. A Scottish kid was killed in Jerusalem while on holiday by a Palestinian suicide bomber along with 17 others on a bus. He was 18. He was kept alive on life support while his parents flew there. Donated a kidney to a dying Palestinian. Someone I know knew him.

Good enough?

You said 200 dead in a week, so no, that's not good enough.

Would you care to comment on this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91525813&postcount=1142

And could you get back to me on this also please
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91525941&postcount=1150

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

bumper234 wrote: »

Thanks for that, bumper234. The more I see and read, the more I am convinced that this is Israeli genocidal policy in action.

Health experts advised them that 170 truck loads of food a day was needed, but only 67 were allowed through.
    And on top of this, Israel further adjusted the formula so that the number of trucks carrying nutrient-poor sugar were doubled while the trucks carrying milk, fruit and vegetables were greatly reduced, sometimes by as much as a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Israel's plan seems pretty simple at this stage, turn Gaza into a wasteland by blowing the sh1te out of everything. The people who live there can't possibly rebuild when you consider all the restrictions on what they are allowed to import and then Israel will swallow it up while being patted on the head by America.

"A bar code starting with “729” indicates that this product is produced in Israel 729 Israeli Bar Code Association – EAN Israel.This is a modest, simple and effective way to support Palestinianstruggleagainst Israeli occupation and ethnic crimes against humanbeings.Sometimes brands are misleading, a bar code never lies if it carriesthat729"

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

I don't belittle the suffering of anybody and my sympathy is with all families who have suffered bereavement.However,what you remember and what is the recorded facts do not tally and you should check your assertions before posting them as it belittles your argument.

In terms of peace agreements there was not anything of the nature I described on the table and nothing even remotely close.

Also we are talking about the here and now and if you are interested in peace then Israel has to stop pretending to be an agent of peace and become a true agent of peace.

The crux of the matter is that I don't believe the narrative you are presenting because I'm quite familiar with it and I have found nothing to support it.

Either you want peace or you don't and If you do then stop providing excuses for why it can't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

hju6 wrote: »
    3 days for the Israelis to help us forget with propaganda what bastards they are

More like three days for them to get the ammunitions they need from the yank compounds to get ready for the next round of murder.

Advertisement