Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link homeplug kit from eircom €29

Options
  • 24-06-2014 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eircom.net/accessories/homeplugs/homeplugs/plug2/

This kit has 2 plugs and comes with a clone function.

Its more expensive on Amazon and gets good reviews.

Eircom chat told me it could be used on their evision boxes if you want to move the box to a different location. The reps in the Eircom forum told me to get multiroom:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,880 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its even more expensive on Amazon than you think - this is the kit eircom are selling, its both a wifi extender and a powerline ethernet kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Thanks, definitely buying.

Edit - do you need to be an Eircom customer? Can you pay by card or does it have to be added to your bill does anyone know? I called 1901 but there was no clear option to buy accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

danthefan wrote: »
    Thanks, definitely buying.

Edit - do you need to be an Eircom customer? Can you pay by card or does it have to be added to your bill does anyone know? I called 1901 but there was no clear option to buy accessories.
    I pressed option 2 and then 4.

Not sure how its billed. I wasnt asked for a credit card so I assume its on my account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I pressed option 2 and then 4.

Not sure how its billed. I wasnt asked for a credit card so I assume its on my account

Thanks, guess I won't be able to get them if it goes on the bill.

danthefan wrote: »
    Thanks, guess I won't be able to get them if it goes on the bill.
    Give it a shot.
    Just be careful..there is also a single plug at the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I rang them and because I wasn't a customer they said they wouldn't sell.

I rang them and because I wasn't a customer they said they wouldn't sell.[/QUOTE
    I was onto chat. They suggested trying an eircom store if your not a customer.

It would be worth making a call to check .

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Have you tried getting them on chat. normally a bit more helpful.

Ah thanks, I just rang my mother and got her to order it for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Nice one OP. I was just telling a friend of mine about these adaptors and he was planning to buy some from amazon. I've sent him on this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's a brilliant price - friends of mine bought this on Amazon last year, and it cost way more than this - something like 80 bucks I seem to remember. It's a great piece of kit, thoroughly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Great price for these. Just note, they do not work in all situations, it depends on the quality of your electrical circuitry so older houses could have problems. They will both need to be on the same fuseboard and speeds will degrade badly if you use them in an extension lead. Also make sure you set this wifi to a channel well away from your original wifi router or they will interfere with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

My friends got one of these because their new extension was so full of insulation, that they couldn't get their wifi there - UPC couldn't come up with a solution, so I suggested they buy this. I would expect UPC to sell these things and to put their logo on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Great price for these. Just note, they do not work in all situations, it depends on the quality of your electrical circuitry so older houses could have problems. They will both need to be on the same fuseboard and speeds will degrade badly if you use them in an extension lead. Also make sure you set this wifi to a channel well away from your original wifi router or they will interfere with each other

They are set up by just pressing a button to clone the signal and information associated with it. Mine are occupying the same channel by default. Should I change the ch so?

I bought these and unfortunately noticed very little improvement at all from them. There was no wifi improvement in speed although there was a little increase in wifi range. My wired speed with them was 40% of the speed I'd receive connected directly to the router. Maybe, hopefully,I'm doing something wrong.
    I

They are set up by just pressing a button to clone the signal and information associated with it. Mine are occupying the same channel by default. Should I change the ch so?

I bought these and unfortunately noticed very little improvement at all from them. There was no wifi improvement in speed although there was a little increase in wifi range. My wired speed with them was 40% of the speed I'd receive connected directly to the router. Maybe, hopefully,I'm doing something wrong.
    I

Needs to be another channel otherwise it's interfering on the same channel. Wired speeds from homeplugs will vary, in some situations they will not work at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Needs to be another channel otherwise it's interfering on the same channel. Wired speeds from homeplugs will vary, in some situations they will not work at all

Thank you very much,I'll try them on another channel so.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Thanks OP,

Just ordered, I ended up in broadband support to order...Sales hadn't a clue.

It's to be added to next bill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just be aware that these things can mess with your Wifi.

Ran various tests and my Wifi is much slower with these plugged in, tried every channel.

on 5ghz it seems better but my Nexus 7 doesn't support this :(

Just be aware that these things can mess with your Wifi.

Ran various tests and my Wifi is much slower with these plugged in, tried every channel.

on 5ghz it seems better but my Nexus 7 doesn't support this :(

Introduce any new wireless device into your house can have the same effect. In a built up area your neighbours could also be interfering too. Get inssider on your laptop or a wifi analyser app on your smartphone and see what channels are in use nearby and pick your channels wisely. There are only 3 non overlapping channels in 2.4 ghz, 1,6 and 11.

• Advertisement

Introduce any new wireless device into your house can have the same effect. In a built up area your neighbours could also be interfering too. Get inssider on your laptop or a wifi analyser app on your smartphone and see what channels are in use nearby and pick your channels wisely. There are only 3 non overlapping channels in 2.4 ghz, 1,6 and 11.

It's not wireless, its powerline, but powerline operates over unshielded electrical cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

It's not wireless, its powerline, but powerline operates over unshielded electrical cabling.
    whe whole point of this kit is that one of the homeplugs includes a wifi extender to clone your wifi signal out to a part of your house with a wifi dead spot to extend the range of your wifi. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I paid €60 in PowerCity 2 weeks ago for this piece of kit. No complaints & they have really boosted my UPC Wifi signal running 5ghz.

Would recommend without hesitation if you get patchy signal in parts of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

interestingly enough, I have 200Mbps adapters in the house here that are in use, and i just got the 500Mbps AV version of these for my brother in law yesterday and tested them in place of my 200Mbps ones and the speed increase was only from about 45Mbps to 75Mbps, so I won't be bothering with an upgrade for myself.

I did like that the wifi plug actually had two ethernet sockets on it though, that could be handy for next to the TV where you might have more than one media device needing an ethernet connection.

I've actually just run a length of cat5e through the walls and attic, but I can't find my crimper since we moved house, so it'll have to wait for now. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Does anyone know if they sell them in the Eircom/E-mobile stores?

nava wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they sell them in the Eircom/E-mobile stores?

that was what someone on chat said to me,give it a go.

I ordered over the phone. I'm using it to allow me move my evision box to another room and tv.
    Sky came back to me with an offer I couldnt refuse (free for 6 months )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

that was what someone on chat said to me,give it a go.

I ordered over the phone. I'm using it to allow me move my evision box to another room and tv.
    Sky came back to me with an offer I couldnt refuse (free for 6 months )

Yes they do sell them on the Eircom shops for €29, you do not need to be an Eircom customer, they do ask you for a name and number for the receipt.

vibe666 wrote: »
    whe whole point of this kit is that one of the homeplugs includes a wifi extender to clone your wifi signal out to a part of your house with a wifi dead spot to extend the range of your wifi. ;)

I have the TP-Link Wired versions .... that's what I'm saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭karlyk1

Ok, this sounds great – but can anyone clear something up? I am going to get it to extend the wifi range out to my back garden (where I often work when the ‘summer’ pops its head up…!:rolleyes:) but I take it that this also ‘boosts’ your signal all over the house? Or am I reading this wrong?

• Advertisement

karlyk1 wrote: »
    Ok, this sounds great – but can anyone clear something up? I am going to get it to extend the wifi range out to my back garden (where I often work when the ‘summer’ pops its head up…!:rolleyes:) but I take it that this also ‘boosts’ your signal all over the house? Or am I reading this wrong?

No, it extends your wifi by adding a second wifi access point

Advertisement