Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m.boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

i would suggest some users are frustrated that feedback about touch has not been addressed.
    prior to the shutting down of m.b, and even in this thread, there has not been an open call for user feedback

perhaps a feeling that m.b was always up for the chop and owners have been waiting for an excuse
    /conspiracy

regardless of the level usage of m.b vs touch there are serious usability concerns raised about touch that are going unanswered.

the suggestion that it works perfectly fine for the developer is one that gets raised a lot in business, but, at the end of the day it is not the developer that the site is designed for. the owners want users and if touch is driving away users that are voicing concerns it stands to reason it is driving away a lot more who never get around to voicing them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Penn wrote: »
    But surely that's what this thread is?

The shutting down of m.boards isn't up for discussion, but feedback on how to find the middle ground between touch and m can be discussed here as it has been.

That's just my reading of it anyway.

Whats being asked is to include a link in the announcement that m.b is being shut down to this thread. That way the majority of users of m.b can have an opportunity to articulate their reasons for using such an "*awful*" interface instead of the current touch one?

From a development perspective it makes sense to see what the blockers are to people like me using the touch site. The cynic in me senses that this is a method to ensure that more ads will be served to our mobile devices. If I am on the move I prefer to have a light option to get to the discussions that I am interested in. I have no interest in large ads or pretty graphics on a small mobile device I want to see the information I am on this site for. I do understand that advertising partially funds the site and that it is a careful balancing act but it appears that even though a death sentence has hung over m.b for a long time its demise has not been planned and is now being rushed for "obscure" reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello again.

OK, so it's been busy in the office as we've been investigating this. First of all, as I mentioned before, the reason we had such inaccurate data about how many of you were using m. was incorrect Google Analytics data. That was the first thing we addressed internally after it became clear to us that m. had far more traffic than we realised. The numbers were much higher than we expected (Declan has used the word flumoxed on more than one occasion). So, with all that said, we're diverting all tech time to the review of touch. based on the feedback given here. Let us get a mock up done of what we're proposing and then we'll push out a site wide request for feedback on it early next week. We have some pretty clear guidelines based on what's been said already and so that will be our starting point.

In the meanwhile, we will keep m. patched and running until this is done.

I'll be back on Monday (I hope, it might be Tuesday though) with some mockups - we'll probably kick off a new thread for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dav wrote: »
    Hello again.

OK, so it's been busy in the office as we've been investigating this. First of all, as I mentioned before, the reason we had such inaccurate data about how many of you were using m. was incorrect Google Analytics data. That was the first thing we addressed internally after it became clear to us that m. had far more traffic than we realised. The numbers were much higher than we expected (Declan has used the word flumoxed on more than one occasion). So, with all that said, we're diverting all tech time to the review of touch. based on the feedback given here. Let us get a mock up done of what we're proposing and then we'll push out a site wide request for feedback on it early next week. We have some pretty clear guidelines based on what's been said already and so that will be our starting point.

In the meanwhile, we will keep m. patched and running until this is done.

I'll be back on Monday (I hope, it might be Tuesday though) with some mockups - we'll probably kick off a new thread for it.

Could that in turn mean the stats on usage of old skins is also incorrect? Or do the Google Analytics not cover that?

As far as I know, it was just some peculiarity of m. but we'll be checking the rest of it to be certain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Delighted to hear it Dav :)

Thanks Dav for the update. Delighted to hear we flumoxed someone (haven't heard that word being used in ages!).

Great response

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Great response indeed, fair play to Dav and co!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Great stuff. Really wasn't looking forward to using Touch at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Fair play to you lot in the office on listening to the users on this dav!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thank you very much dav it is really appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Cheers! Dial M for Murder!

Hmmm its all gone very quiet? Any update Dav?

Not yet I'm afraid, but I'm hoping to have something for you this week. I wish I could be more definite than that, sorry folks.

I wanted to bump this to let you know that work is progressing on a "reader" formatting option for touch that will implement a lot of what m. does. I've only seen some work in progress stuff whilst looking over Andres' shoulder (I'm working on getting a couple of screenshots). Essentially it's got the alternating bgcolours on thread view and it's tightened up a lot of the padding.

I didn't want to let the week go by without letting you know that this is actively being worked on though, not trying to brush it under the carpet or anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Same here, touch is just far too slow on my phone. Way too much whitespace, and I much prefer the way images are displayed (or not displayed) on m.boards.ie.

This - touch is much slower than m.boards.ie - and the simple userface on m.boards.ie just works so much better

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Great stuff.
    can you also look at the way the page loads...
    opening boards as sone sort of frame wrapper then loading tge post data like a secondary site within that frame really kills performance for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Thought I'd bump this rather than start another thread had posted on the new site thread but it's probably get lost.

So has the new site killed off m.boards as its often the only site accessible in the less connected parts of the country.

Even touch takes forever to load.

So what's the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Same here, no m.boards for me, making me a sad, sad man. Loved the simplicity, my daily way to browse boards!

• Advertisement

Yep use it on my phone and tablet every day as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Posted this on the other thread but is there a work around, mainly use Opera Mini when out and about on the phone and the site is completely unusable.

It's back

Still a 404 page for me, possibly because I'm outside Ireland maybe?

Still a 404 page for me, possibly because I'm outside Ireland maybe?

Go to the touch site. Find the legacy site option on the landing page, it should be on the bottom left. Then try m.boards.ie it should work again.

Thanks Gandalf, that has worked a treat! Very much appreciated.

No problems us m users need to stick together!

Be prepared folks, m. will not be around for long, I suspect it'll be gone before the end of the year.

So it's more than the couple of months as per yesterday's announcement then?

• Advertisement

Dav wrote: »
    Be prepared folks, m. will not be around for long, I suspect it'll be gone before the end of the year.

Going to go very mature on this post

Booooooooooourns :(

Dav it's a shame m. is the fastest site I user easy to surf and no images to wait on. In a country that is not served by a decent phone network it was a godsend. I fear my boards use will grind to a halt as the new site is useless from a handheld screen. Also a long time member I feel this could be a massive step back for the site

Advertisement