Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***MatchThread*** 29th Apr 20:30 STCOLM Brown Bag Utd

Options
  • 25-04-2014 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

We know these guys, and they aren't a bad side. They've won both their games too, so an early chance to put daylight between us and one of the challangers.

Meeting at 8

Cathal
    Ciaran
    Cillian
    Conor
    Damo
    Darren
    Derek
    Derek McL
    Ed
    Jules
    Keith
    Kings
    Marcin
    SteC
    SteK
    SteMcd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cathal - in
    Ciaran - in
    Cill - in
    Conor - in
    Damo - in
    Darren - in
    Derek - in
    Derek McL - in
    Ed
    Jules - in
    Keith - in
    Kings
    SteC - in
    SteK
    SteMcd - in

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭SteMcD1

in.

aren't these the team that did **** all season until the last few games when they started winning? might have a couple new players or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Yeah they beat us at the end of last season. Admittedly we played like clowns in that game but they definitely look a decent team and as Des says, they have a 100% record this year. Will definitely be a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

knee still not great, but im going to give it a try tonight and play in goals for my monday team.

des, feel free to ask Liam if you wish, but if he is not available ill play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Derek any word from Kingsley or Ste (not sure if thats your mate Ste) ?

• Advertisement

lads,

these boys were playing in the top division up until last season and i guess the drop down in the winter effected their numbers...would give the impression that they have alot of grass soccer players who were unavailable in winter time.

seeing as they ended the season really strong (beating us) and have started the season well, i think this will be a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Derek any word from Kingsley or Ste (not sure if thats your mate Ste) ?

I assume ya mean the new ste just refer to him as Cronin that's what everyone in Palmerstown calls him we've too many stes, i asked him the weekend he said ye heel go thought heda txted by now dno about kings I'll msg him now

Right so Cronin is injured hurt his knee last night Kingsley was in London the weekend so Cudn reply he said he's in for tonight tho

another game another win. id like to say we were at the top of our game but from my perspective i dont think we ever got out of second gear the whole game especially in the first half. was a bit disappointed with all the mouthing goin off at each other despite being well ahead.
    i didnt think brown bag were all that we should have hammered them by even more, Jules keaner kingsley darren all unlucky not to score, anyway a wins a win and thats what matters most :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

We were bad for 90% of the game, should have still scored 2 or 3 more. Took the goals well.
    I did some mouthing so apologies about that.

I'll just say one thing, a forward pass is not the only option on the pitch, I'd rather go back or left and right when the person screaming for the ball has his back to goal with 3 men on him. Going left right out to the wing or back drags people out of position and you can start again.
    I play plenty of through and forward balls when it's the right option, as seen last week and this week. Keeping the ball is more productive than not keeping it. Out of the 15 goals we've scored I have 6 assists and scored 2. Watch any game at the top level, they are not afraid to retain the ball if that means they need to go back to the left or right back they do it, and they do it because it's the right option.

Another thing, can we just start to take some imitative and get in throws and quick free kicks... We don't always have to wait for Keith and damo to come up to the halfway line to take a throw same goes for free kicks. The time wasted may enable us to get a shape back but it also allows the 2 free people screaming for a throw to get marked..another thing slowing the game down at 4-1 with a.minute to go is just funking idiotic.

Well played King's and Derek, played very well and made and took the goals well.

• Advertisement

We were bad for 90% of the game, should have still scored 2 or 3 more. Took the goals well.
    I did some mouthing so apologies about that.

I'll just say one thing, a forward pass is not the only option on the pitch, I'd rather go back or left and right when the person screaming for the ball has his back to goal with 3 men on him. Going left right out to the wing or back drags people out of position and you can start again.
    I play plenty of through and forward balls when it's the right option, as seen last week and this week. Keeping the ball is more productive than not keeping it. Out of the 15 goals we've scored I have 6 assists and scored 2. Watch any game at the top level, they are not afraid to retain the ball if that means they need to go back to the left or right back they do it, and they do it because it's the right option.

Another thing, can we just start to take some imitative and get in throws and quick free kicks... We don't always have to wait for Keith and damo to come up to the halfway line to take a throw same goes for free kicks. The time wasted may enable us to get a shape back but it also allows the 2 free people screaming for a throw to get marked..another thing slowing the game down at 4-1 with a.minute to go is just funking idiotic.

Well played King's and Derek, played very well and made and took the goals well.

i agree with the speed of set throw ins and set pieces i think quickening this up will catch a lot of teams out. Also leave it out keaner was well within his right to play it slow at the time we werent chasing the game even though id have liked him to play it as i was up there waiting for the quick attack myself but i wouldnt have gone off on him over it. at 4 - 1 up and with out current GD scoring that extra goal isnt overly important.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think there's a balance here lads, in a lot of cases we rush so much we end up losing possession quickly, if we are doing it quick everyone needs to be on their toes but like everything we need to mix it up.

Yeah @ 4-1 up with a minute left we dont need to play it safe but also we dont need to rush things like mad men either and concede a stupid goal because half the team isn't switched on.

Like everything there's a balance to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Some valid points there lads. Darren, apologies for my part in the mouthing off and i agree with your point that it's not always the forward ball we need to play, also have been quick to highlight the higher level of through balls than before has played a big role in our upping a level. Point was just we need to mix it up more as at times we tend to go lateral by default without actively looking to see if that ball to feet is on. That's all, and I can see its nitpicking really so on reflection we need to get back to the bigger picture and 4-1 when we should've scored more and didn't look like conceding and we weren't near our best is pretty damn goes in fairness!

I think there's a balance here lads, in a lot of cases we rush so much we end up losing possession quickly, if we are doing it quick everyone needs to be on their toes but like everything we need to mix it up.

Yeah @ 4-1 up with a minute left we dont need to play it safe but also we dont need to rush things like mad men either and concede a stupid goal because half the team isn't switched on.

Like everything there's a balance to be found.

i actually think this is what sets us apart from anything weve come up against since the start of the winter season, our pace and mobility. Take for example kingsley he was smoking the right back all night and got his assist in the end and could have had a goal. Apart from us being a good unit a lot of teams are too lethargic and lack the pace to split us open in defense. I hate myself for using this comparison but its like liverpool this season teams struggle against the speed of play. we looka lot better in midfield when we have lads who put a challenge in, kieran darren SteMcD etc bring on the next game cant wait

mrDerek wrote: »
    i actually think this is what sets us apart from anything weve come up against since the start of the winter season, our pace and mobility. Take for example kingsley he was smoking the right back all night and got his assist in the end and could have had a goal. Apart from us being a good unit a lot of teams are too lethargic and lack the pace to split us open in defense. I hate myself for using this comparison but its like liverpool this season teams struggle against the speed of play. bring on the next game cant wait

We dont need quick set pieces to use our pace:D

Sometimes it makes absolute perfect sense to take something quick, jules took a few throws on the left when we broke quickly, no point waiting for me to get up there.

But the thrower can see a lot more and while you may think you'll get the ball without issue the thrower may see the guy running full speed at you and by the time you get the ball he's on you.

Like i said its a balance that we'll find

mrDerek wrote: »
    i agree with the speed of set throw ins and set pieces i think quickening this up will catch a lot of teams out. Also leave it out keaner was well within his right to play it slow at the time we werent chasing the game even though id have liked him to play it as i was up there waiting for the quick attack myself but i wouldnt have gone off on him over it. at 4 - 1 up and with out current GD scoring that extra goal isnt overly important.

It is when a poxy hour Is all the ball I get...:)

One other thing, having a moan after winning 4-1 is not a bad thing, it shows that we are all striving to do better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The advantage to being 4-1 up with a minute left is that you can try to control the game without any danger. I think that was the only thing at the end of the game, everything was all over the place and they exploited the space to get their goal out of nothing.

The game was almost end-to-end for the last 10 minutes and yet the result was never in doubt. Being able to kill the game or getting used to kill the game could prove very useful in tighter games on worse surfaces.

played well enough, controlled most of the game and could, perhaps should have scored 2 or 3 more, but cant complain with a 3 goal win.

a few hairy moment from bad clearances and what not, but overall we were fairly comfortable.

9 points with 15 scored and only 2 conceded after 3 games....an even better start than last season

thats odd astro updated the league table to include our win but didnt put the goalscorers in

• Advertisement

Des puts in the goal scorers.

First XI, Subs & Scorers please?

Ed,
    Damo, Cathal, Conor, Keith,
    Cill, Darren, Ciaran, Kings
    Jules
    DerekMcL

Sub: Derek, SteK

Goals: DerekMcL x2, Cill, Jules

Cheers - site updated

hopefully i got that right so...

Mousewar wrote: »
    hopefully i got that right so...

should have taken one of Dereks goals and watched the meltdown :pac:

Advertisement