Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A discussion on the rules.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....just strikes me as a bit odd that in this day and age we have to have the 'gays are ordinary people too' argument again.

And I also don't see why adoption has to get dragged into it, seeing as that's going to happen one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nodin wrote: »
    ....just strikes me as a bit odd that in this day and age we have to have the 'gays are ordinary people too' argument again.

Why there are clearly people out there who don't think this. Sure they're wrong but just politely rip their argument to pieces and it'll do more to influence "on the fence" readers than a mod banning the poster. A lot more, the mod banning makes it look like a viewpoint is being suppressed which fits perfectly for any conspiracy minded people.

nesf wrote: »
    Why there are clearly people out there who don't think this. Sure they're wrong but just politely rip their argument to pieces and it'll do more to influence "on the fence" readers than a mod banning the poster. A lot more, the mod banning makes it look like a viewpoint is being suppressed which fits perfectly for any conspiracy minded people.

...I suppose. My patience with it is limited, as is no doubt obvious. In particular the 'homosexuality = paedophillia' line - even in my less enlightened youth I'd no time for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

...I suppose. My patience with it is limited, as is no doubt obvious. In particular the 'homosexuality = paedophillia' line - even in my less enlightened youth I'd no time for that one.

There's a danger in threads like gay marriage that if we banned arguments like the above, we'd have maybe 7/8 posters pro gay marriage backing each other up and thanking each others posts, basically talking to themselves! That doesn't look good either.

Sometimes it is best to let the community of posters tear an opinion apart.

Soap boxing we can do something about, posting opinions with little or no back up, seagull type posters, that's stuff we can act on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The problem is when the person is challenged to provide any evidence of that and they evade and dodge this whilst repeating the claim. This is where you want the mod to get involved. But if that person shuts up after being shown what they thought was evidence actually was just made up bull****, then this is a good thing no? Or (on a different topic) they show you that, actually there is a limited problem with something that you initially rejected out of hand because you assumed it was the standard "anti-liberal hating group X" stuff.

Debate and opposing viewpoints are good. What we don't want is just two sides screaming abuse at each other and refusing to even consider the existence of any middle ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

nesf wrote: »
    Debate and opposing viewpoints are good. What we don't want is just two sides screaming abuse at each other and refusing to even consider the existence of any middle ground.
    That presumes that such a middle ground exists - argumentum ad temperantiam; In some social issues it is fairly binary, where no leeway exists in the opposing positions.

Manach wrote: »
    That presumes that such a middle ground exists - argumentum ad temperantiam; In some social issues it is fairly binary, where no leeway exists in the opposing positions.

Some people look at political and social topics in a very black and white way. A moral absolutist will never see any leeway or middle ground.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

K-9 wrote: »
    Some people look at political and social topics in a very black and white way. A moral absolutist will never see any leeway or middle ground.
    "Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because God says it's wrong" is a black and white argument that I would disagree with, but accept someone's right to express.

"Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because it's a sneaky plot by pederasts" is pretty much just defamatory (perhaps not strictly in the legal sense, but certainly in the broader sense of the word).

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because God says it's wrong" is a black and white argument that I would disagree with, but accept someone's right to express.

"Gays shouldn't be allowed to marry because it's a sneaky plot by pederasts" is pretty much just defamatory (perhaps not strictly in the legal sense, but certainly in the broader sense of the word).

The first belief is because they read it in the bible, or the local curate or whatever said it.

I'd class the second as similar to xenophobic. It's a fear of homosexuals, akin to a fear of foreigners.

Manach wrote: »

It doesn't presume this. To consider the existence of something is not to assume it, presume it or propose it only to take a look to see if it does or not. Whilst we do have topics where argumentum ad temperantiam does apply we have many many cases of false dilemmas and excluded middles in social issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

so gay bashing, is best left to the community as it is easily solved with simple logic.
    if someone lolz.. it gets the mods attention.
    very interesting indeed :P

It is a fact that one cannot arrive here and claim the same benefits as an Irish citizen, regardless of whether the individual is from the EU or otherwise. Yet countless posts are wasted arguing this again and again, often multible times in the same thread. I would suggest that this be put in the charter much like the Dublin regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It is a fact that one cannot arrive here and claim the same benefits as an Irish citizen, regardless of whether the individual is from the EU or otherwise. Yet countless posts are wasted arguing this again and again, often multible times in the same thread. I would suggest that this be put in the charter much like the Dublin regulation.

shouldn't that be Irish citizen that satisfies the habitual residency requirements?

shouldn't that be Irish citizen that satisfies the habitual residency requirements?

?

Because
    EU rules prevent discrimination on nationality grounds in relation to social security, so it is not possible to exempt a particular category of Irish citizens (such as returning Irish emigrants) from the habitual residence condition (either in general or for Carer’s Allowance) without extending the same treatment to all EU nationals

If you are Irish citizen you have to demonstrate you satisfy the habitual residency requirements. Therefore its factually incorrect to say that
    It is a fact that one cannot arrive here and claim the same benefits as an Irish citizen, regardless of whether the individual is from the EU or otherwise.

What is correct is that one cannot arrive to the ROI and claim the same benefits as an Irish citizen that is satisfies the habitual residency requirements which is a rather different thing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

Because

If you are Irish citizen you have to demonstrate you satisfy the habitual residency requirements. Therefore its factually incorrect to say that

What is correct is that one cannot arrive to the ROI and claim the same benefits as an Irish citizen that is satisfies the habitual residency requirements which is a rather different thing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

I've no idea what you're on about. The fact is that somebody from Poland or wherever cannot arrive here and sign on.

I've no idea what you're on about. The fact is that somebody from Poland or wherever cannot arrive here and sign on.

Yes but you request was for
    It is a fact that one cannot arrive here and claim the same benefits as an Irish citizen, regardless of whether the individual is from the EU or otherwise.

The EU laws mean that its not citizenship thats the requirement its residency/association with the country.
    And if an edited rule is added, something like this

"Accessing benefits requires evidence of PRSI contributions and/or habitual residency, one can not simply arrive and claim benefits"

Are the exceptions to this rule going to be noted which are AFAIK supplementary welfare allowance,some family benefits and possibly some HSE based payments

Yes but you request was for

The EU laws mean that its not citizenship thats the requirement its residency/association with the country.
    And if an edited rule is added, something like this

"Accessing benefits requires evidence of PRSI contributions and/or habitual residency, one can not simply arrive and claim benefits"

Are the exceptions to this rule going to be noted which are AFAIK supplementary welfare allowance,some family benefits and possibly some HSE based payments

Supplementary welfare allowance has a habitual residence test.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/supplementary_welfare_allow.html

There is no basis for the notion that people can arrive and claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Not really the place for this discussion...

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Its not a discussion I'm remotely interested in having.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90019733&postcount=1243

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Ok i get that, my point is that if a rule is going to be put in place similar to the Dublin convention one it should be worded correctly and the initial request by Nodin is incorrect as it focuses on the issue of citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Why was my post about the longstanding allegations about Jim Mansfield (tons of drugs were found on his jet) deleted - he is deceased - yet countless allegations about Gerry Adams for example remain while they are equally "unsubstantiated"?

Your post wasn't substantiated, neither were a couple of others IIRC. I don't think it is fair to post something like that without back up. I suppose we could cut out debates about Gerry, would make for a boring politics board though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

K-9 wrote: »
    Your post wasn't substantiated, neither were a couple of others IIRC. I don't think it is fair to post something like that without back up. I suppose we could cut out debates about Gerry, would make for a boring politics board though!

I'm not for a second saying that we shouldnt be able to discuss things to do with Adams I'm just highlighting the double standard.

I understand concerns about boards being sued, Adams isnt litigious whatsoever(luckily for some), Mansfield was when he was alive but you cannot defame the dead.

The allegations about Mansfield have been around for donkeys years and he discussed them with the media before he died:

‘No drugs in my business’ – billionaire
    Self-made billionaire Jim Mansfield hits out at the gossip about his son's friendship with Katy French and denies he made his fortune through the illegal drugs trade

If there is ever a proper tribunal investigation around the whole Boylan case I believe much more will come out about Mansfield and his connection to drugs trade besides drugs being found on his plane.

Mansfield obviously enjoyed a cosy relationship with politicians akin to that which Larry Goodman enjoyed. He was certainly fortuitous with his property speculation and land he owned getting rezoned.

Anyway, I'll ask why is there a clear double standard at play here?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I'm not for a second saying that we shouldnt be able to discuss things to do with Adams I'm just highlighting the double standard.

The claims made against Adams are based on first-person witness statements, and other photographic and legal evidence, as well as a healthy dose of common sense about the realities of how SF operated throughout the troubles. The claims posted about Jim Mansfield have no basis other than supposition, secondary connections, and casual assumptions that political nepotism somehow implicate him further. Maybe he was up to his neck in it, but no-one has fingered him directly for ianything - unlike Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

alastair wrote: »
    The claims made against Adams are based on first-person witness statements, and other photographic and legal evidence.

Photographic and legal evidence? Now where can I see this?

This forum has always had double standards when it comes to Sinn Fein and other parties, I thought that was going to change but obviously not?

Villain wrote: »
    Photographic and legal evidence? Now where can I see this?

Sean O'Callaghan gave evidence in the high court about Adams attending an IRA council meeting in '83. Legal evidence was presented at Adam's IRA membership trial in '78

and the photographic evidence is well known:
    3016559_f520.jpg

But honestly - you and I know that everyone understands Adams' denials are a nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

alastair wrote: »
    Sean O'Callaghan gave evidence in the high court about Adams attending an IRA council meeting in '83. Legal evidence was presented at Adam's IRA membership trial in '78

and the photographic evidence is well known:

But honestly - you and I know that everyone understands Adams' denials are a nonsense.

So if someone says something is true in a court room then it's true and can never be libelous ? You or anyone else that I know has proven he was a member of the IRA.

It's a fact that a politician has denied something and people here are free to post that he is lying yet when the same happened and happens for other politicians posts are deleted and people banned.

It is blatant double standards and I thought no longer existed here?

So if someone says something is true in a court room then it's true and can never be libelous ? You or anyone else that I know has proven he was a member of the IRA.
    Did I say otherwise? What I said was:
    The claims made against Adams are based on first-person witness statements, and other photographic and legal evidence, as well as a healthy dose of common sense about the realities of how SF operated throughout the troubles.

Has Adams been found to have been libelled regarding his membership of the IRA? No - so nothing claimed about the man so far has actually been shown to be libellous.
    It's a fact that a politician has denied something and people here are free to post that he is lying yet when the same happened and happens for other politicians posts are deleted and people banned.

It is blatant double standards and I thought no longer existed here?
    It's not a double standard, based on the information available.

• Advertisement

Also while the IRA membership claims can at least be slightly substantiated this forum does tolerate allegations about involvement in the McConville case which AFAIK only rests on one persons testimony. This forum has always had double standards relating to SF upto the point back a few years ago that a certain mod (who no longer mods this forum) had to be reigned in on the main site feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement