Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia will have Cheapest Gas and Electricity [updated 29 march]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

rh5555 wrote: »
    I was with Airtricity for a few years. After their initial 1year discount ran out I asked them if there is anything else I can do and they said they would still apply 'some' discount (generously) but I forgot how much it was.
    Finally beginning 2014 I decided it's stupid not to save some electricity money and asked Aitricity again if they could get me back to the initial full discount but they said sadly they were unable to do this.

I said I was moving to another company (Energia) and I think they said something that they knew a lot of ppl just cancel after 1 year and go somewhere else.

Signed up with Energia online, took 25min and the switchover happened about 5 weeks later. So simple.

I just can't be lazy again and after 1 year I just switch to the next provider getting the 1st year discount again.

As far as I know the meters/lines are owned by ESB and only the electricity is provided by the other companies so there shouldn't be any issues.

That's reassuring. I will apply to Energia online today. I suppose you will not make any savings if you don't make the effort and shop around. I found EI dreadfully slow in trying to get an email response, sometimes never.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Davy wrote: »

It's 15%,for electricity only.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

It's 15%,for electricity only.

It is 16% electricity, 15% gas unless you use the voucher code 'dual' which puts the discounts to 17% electricity and 16% gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,128 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Last month they offered 18% off electricity and 17% off gas (if you used the discount code properly :D)

Glad I switched back then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

unkel wrote: »
    Last month they offered 18% off electricity and 17% off gas (if you used the discount code properly :D)

Glad I switched back then :)

Dont hold your breath, until you get the bill you never know.

I got my first bill and my staff discount was not applied to it. I called Customer Services to find out why I didn't receive my 20% discount and they said they didn't know. I asked them to apply the discount and then issue an amended bill before the direct debit came out my bank. They don't have the functionality in the software to retrospectively apply the discount so I only have a 15% discount even though I have worked for them for 2 years and was the very first agent in the country doing the Pilot way back in October last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

i'm kind of tempted at this deal currently have gas with bord gas and Electricity with electric Ireland no deals whatever the standard tariffs are, should I jump at this deal or will we see better value products over the coming weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I got my first bill and my staff discount was not applied to it. I called Customer Services to find out why I didn't receive my 20% discount and they said they didn't know. I asked them to apply the discount and then issue an amended bill before the direct debit came out my bank. They don't have the functionality in the software to retrospectively apply the discount so I only have a 15% discount even though I have worked for them for 2 years and was the very first agent in the country doing the Pilot way back in October last year!

I wonder if many people will check bills in detail when they get them? They qre telling people to use the DUAL promo code to get an extra 1% off gas+elec - but most people will just assume it has worked and will not notice if it is 16% or 17% off . (Unless the bills show the calculations and discounts applied clearly)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,128 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately it's not possible to overcharge me though :D

I know exactly what rates I should be paying with my discount and I'll be going over my first bills with a fine comb :)

• Advertisement

i'm kind of tempted at this deal currently have gas with bord gas and Electricity with electric Ireland no deals whatever the standard tariffs are, should I jump at this deal or will we see better value products over the coming weeks?

The Energia DUAL promo offer is the cheapest currently available for gas and electricity from a single supplier. It is also cheaper than any combination of going direct to 2 different suppliers for gas and electricty .

There is currently a slightly cheaper option of going via OneBigSwitch to Bord Gais for Elec and direct to Flogas for Gas. (Approx 39 euro cheaper for the average usage)
    The onebigswitch option requires you to sign up to a third party marketing company and you will probably get lots of emails/texts promoting other stuff. It also requires you to wait for 12 months to make sure they stick to the promise of €80 cashback .

All companies can put up prices at any time in the future.

The longer you stay on those bog standard high rates - the more you are paying out.

I doubt if any new offers will be very much better than the ones out now. Even another 1% cut in rates means only approx €16 ayear saving on average usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Ogham wrote: »
    I wonder if many people will check bills in detail when they get them? They qre telling people to use the DUAL promo code to get an extra 1% off gas+elec - but most people will just assume it has worked and will not notice if it is 16% or 17% off . (Unless the bills show the calculations and discounts applied clearly)

That is very sneaky. I missed that when I signed up. The web site is misleading. I assume there is a cooling off period so I'll cancel and sign up again.

All companies can put up prices at any time in the future.

Does that mean that if I sign up to Energia dual deal for 12 months that two to three months into the contract they could increase their unit price, thus reducing any savings I thought I was going to make at the beginning of the contract?

All suppliers have the same offers, no residential rates are actually fixed. They ALL offer X% off their own standard rates, which are not the same. All suppliers usually put their prices up around the same time and typically by almost identical amounts. You would still receive your X% discount, it would just be off a higher standard rate. The best way to think of them is as a tracker.

In the commercial market I have the option to register companies on fixed rates, this means for the duration of the contract, 12 or sometimes 24 months, they will not have any changes in the price up or down.

so say I do go with Energia, I sign up online, I take a reading off the meters outside, do energia then advise Bord Gais and Electric Ireland of the switch and the reading I gave them and do both of my current suppliers send me a final bill based on this reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

All suppliers have the same offers, no residential rates are actually fixed. They ALL offer X% off their own standard rates, which are not the same. All suppliers usually put their prices up around the same time and typically by almost identical amounts. You would still receive your X% discount, it would just be off a higher standard rate. The best way to think of them is as a tracker.

In the commercial market I have the option to register companies on fixed rates, this means for the duration of the contract, 12 or sometimes 24 months, they will not have any changes in the price up or down.

Well commercial markets still do have a variable section of their rate in the pass through charge so regardless what market you're in, you're never guaranteed a fixed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

so say I do go with Energia, I sign up online, I take a reading off the meters outside, do energia then advise Bord Gais and Electric Ireland of the switch and the reading I gave them and do both of my current suppliers send me a final bill based on this reading?

yep that's how it done

Well commercial markets still do have a variable section of their rate in the pass through charge so regardless what market you're in, you're never guaranteed a fixed price.

Pass through charges, VAT etc are not set by the suppliers, so they would change potentially. However these charges are identical with every supplier, so it doesn't matter about these charges, they are not something you can control and therefore are not worth thinking about.

All other costs can either be fixed or be variable. Most business users want fixed rates so they can control their spending.

Well I signed up online, my first time ever moving away from Bord Gais and Electric Ireland, it will be interesting to see how I get on with this I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing but if you are to believe the savings calculators I should be around €300 better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Do I just ring my current provider to see if my contract is up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I have just switched to Energia but still have not got confirmation email.Did u guy wait long for 1st contact from them?

I have just switched to Energia but still have not got confirmation email.Did u guy wait long for 1st contact from them?

So I signed up with them on Sunday evening around around 9.15 I had the confirmation email that they where processing my order at 10.15. If you don't have it maybe check your junk mail folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Anyone know if I've just moved into a house and the last people still havent cancelled their account with say Bord Gais in same house, can I still move to Energia?

zefer wrote: »
    Anyone know if I've just moved into a house and the last people still havent cancelled their account with say Bord Gais in same house, can I still move to Energia?

You should be able to - but you will have to sort out who owes what to Bord Gais. Did you agree a meter reading with the previous occupants or the landlord when they left?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

You should be able to - but you will have to sort out who owes what to Bord Gais. Did you agree a meter reading with the previous occupants or the landlord when they left?

Only just moved in over weekend and we are going to do meter reading today. I was told that because landlord is with bord gais, he needs to give 30 days notice to cancel his account?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Hi does anyone know if i can ring energia sales/customer service on a dublin number.. I have free local number calls but cant dial 1850 thanks

brendan86 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if i can ring energia sales/customer service on a dublin number.. I have free local number calls but cant dial 1850 thanks

You can ask them to call you http://www.energia.ie/Customer-Services/energia-ie-contactus/request-a-call-from-a-sales-agent

Or try 01 869 2000 - it's their head office and they might transfer you to the right place.

Just wondering will the bill for gas electricity come out of my account at the same? Do they bill monthly or bimonthly? Conor Pope was a bit dismissive of the deal on ray darcy this morning

• Advertisement

Just wondering will the bill for gas electricity come out of my account at the same? Do they bill monthly or bimonthly? Conor Pope was a bit dismissive of the deal on ray darcy this morning

http://www.energia.ie/TermsOfUse

Advertisement