Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Since when? Friend of mine (mid-twenties) had his lopped off in hospital shortly after he was born.

It's the reason for the popularity of circumcision in America as well.

Not sure when it changed but it can't be done now unless there is a real medical case for it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Not sure when it changed but it can't be done now unless there is a real medical case for it.
    Odd, thought it would've gone the other way if anything.

Though I'm sure it's one of those things that it's not too hard to find "medical" justification for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Was having a discussion in a bar one night with a few gentlemen and we were discussing rights. One of the guys said he was a feminist and I commented that I hate the word feminism and associate more with equalism. I put forward the argument based on a number of points (the main ones being that if any right movement has a single "sex" in it, it can't be advocating equal rights, and that feminism has taken up the place of chivalry in the western world)

So, along pops a female who has heard me and tells me, and I quote "To check my privilege, I was lucky being born a man as I don't have to deal with being a second class citizen, being objectified by all members of the opposite gender (because apparently gay men also find women hot), having less pay for equal work, being the victim of 90 percent of rape and domestic violence and not bleeding out of an orifice every 28 days" (She had a point on the last one)

So I try to explain that actually domestic violence is around 50:50, the definition of rape automatically skews it so that it's really only men that can be perpetrators, women actually get paid more out of college and the reason the figures are different is mostly due to men taking jobs that put them in a higher risk of injury (hence better pay) and that in social interactions with an intent at being sexual women hold all the power. She then proceeds to throw her drink in my face, hit my multiple times and scream at me. I am then asked to leave by a bouncer as "It would diffuse the situation". I am shocked but comply with the request so as not to cause a scene.

Then tonight I meet a friend of said female. She had texted him saying that she was getting the ride of some fella later that evening. That fella was my friend and when I informed him of said text he had no idea that was her plan. Hypocrisy, thy name is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    She then proceeds to throw her drink in my face, hit my multiple times and scream at me.

Because it is socially acceptable for a woman to behave this way towards a man. We live in a society today where criticism of feminism or even criticism of a woman is not acceptable.

I have numerous experiences where criticism of feminism or a particular woman is met with great offense by other women. The whole how dare you criticize 'one of us' mentality. Even if the criticism is completely warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭All Hail President Murphy

Why wasn't the girl put out of the pub??

If a guy spilled a drink on a girl you can be damn sure he'd be barred !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

No
    Why wasn't the girl put out of the pub??

If a guy spilled a drink on a girl you can be damn sure he'd be barred !

I agree. I know our first instinct is to probably withdraw but realistically he should have demanded that she was thrown out of the pub and potentially the police called as she assaulted you. Unbelievable that people can get away with this type of behavior with no consequence.

Playboy wrote: »
    I agree. I know our first instinct is to probably withdraw but realistically he should have demanded that she was thrown out of the pub and potentially the police called as she assaulted you. Unbelievable that people women can get away with this type of behavior with no consequence where as a man would be punished heavily.

FYP

Flora Mini Marathon.

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Flora Mini Marathon.

Enough said.

I ran that last year and there were male runners :confused:

Yes but they are not allowed to compete or earn medals or register officially

Whereas women can register and officially participate in the mens arc mini marathon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

maybe
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Was having a discussion in a bar one night with a few gentlemen and we were discussing rights…when I informed him of said text he had no idea that was her plan. Hypocrisy, thy name is you.

So you happened to have a conversation about feminism with a friend when a girl happened to walk by and assault you because of it who happened to be a friend with one of your friends who happened to show you a text from her that was written in relation to another friend of yours about riding him? That is an incredible story!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No

https://apps.florawomensminimarathon.ie/online-entry/login.asp

You must have missed where it says "Please note that this event is for women only, and that all entrants you include here are Women. Men may not compete in this event."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

No
    So you happened to have a conversation about feminism with a friend when a girl happened to walk by and assault you because of it who happened to be a friend with one of your friends who happened to show you a text from her that was written in relation to another friend of yours about riding him? That is an incredible story!!!

Small world?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Flora Mini Marathon.

Enough said.

Don't guys enter this every year in drag?

Also, by extension, aren't all sports events that are divided by gender equally sexist?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Don't guys enter this every year in drag?

Also, by extension, aren't all sports events that are divided by gender equally sexist?

Yes but what I'm trying to say is that the Full marathon is open to everyone, men and women and the women have a women's prizes list and the men have one for them.

The men's arc mini marathon is open for all (incl women) despite the fact that it is called mens mini marathon.

The women's mini marathon is women only.

if the men's mini marathon explicitly banned women it'd be shut down on grounds of sexism.

Imagine telling women that they have to dress like a man to participate in the arc marathon ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

My brother has entered the Flora 10k under his own name and won't be doing it in drag.
    Nobody has raised any issues with him over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sauve wrote: »
    My brother has entered the Flora 10k under his own name and won't be doing it in drag.
    Nobody has raised any issues with him over it.
    AFAIK he won't get an official time or a medal.

And it's the point that it publicly excludes men. I'm going tot start a men only marathon. Let's see how it goes.

And excluding 49% of the country form raising money from charity is sick and childish and really shows where some people's priorities lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

And it's the point that it publicly excludes men. I'm going tot start a men only marathon. Let's see how it goes.

And excluding 49% of the country form raising money from charity is sick and childish and really shows where some people's priorities lie.
    I've always felt uncomfortable with the Women's mini marathon. I could have understood it if when it started, the Dublin marathon only allowed male entrants but the Dublin marathon has always been mixed, and it started 3 years before the mini marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Someone on the panel of Midday on TV3 today got called a sexist. I didn't here what she said so I don't know it the viewer was correct or not. What I did hear was interesting, though. Not one of the panel knew what the "female version" of misogyny is called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Someone on the panel of Midday on TV3 today got called a sexist. I didn't here what she said so I don't know it the viewer was correct or not. What I did hear was interesting, though. Not one of the panel knew what the "female version" of misogyny is called.

They probably genuinely beleive that nobody in the world hates men, hence no need for the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭iptba

newport2 wrote: »
    ALiasEX wrote:
    They probably genuinely beleive that nobody in the world hates men, hence no need for the word.
    But it's also a sign of how relatively infrequently the word is used generally (cf. misogyny/misogynist)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

I think the word misandry is fairly well established these days, so I'm surprised that people dealing with the media claim to not know it.
    But then it smacks a bit like newspeak to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I have to disagree with anyone who says male circumcision is not comparable to FMG. I wholeheartedly agree that FMG is worse as a medical procedure because it is more invasive however the fact that male circumcision is so culturally accepted is in some ways worse.

Every "western" culure views FGM with disdain so it is primarily located to Sub-Sharan countries and parts of the middle east while circumcision is viewed in a far more positive light by most cultures and its effects are far more global. In western countries FMG is not acceptable and is barbaric but in these same countries circumcision is accepted so much it is the cultural norm and it's practise is the most common medical procedure in the world.

I am taking all my figures from wikipedia and they say 125m women have been subjected to FGM while the WHO believes the global rate for circumcision is 30% of the male population.

In the US the death rate of circumcision peformed on infants is 1 in 500k which with their rate of birth and circumcision means every year 2 or 3 infant boys die. The benefits of circumcision are debatable and even if they are 100% it should still be left to the child to decide if they want they process when they grow up. 2 to 3 boys are killed without reason or their consent in the US and no one cares as it is considered normal. If we assume the US has the best medical capability then I wonder what the death rate is in many of the other countries that routinely perform it to children at birth.

In summary when you compare FGM to circumcision in an individual case I fully believe FGM is worse. So in all the countries that practice them FGM is worse, however in the so called englightened western cultures we do not have FGM, we believe it to be barbaric and view the countries that engage in it as backwards yet these very same countries routinely perform the barbaric and backwards procedure of performing circumcision and everyone considers it completely fine and normal so in these countries circumcision is worse because it is accepted and FGM is not.

I was circumcised as a child as a treatment to an actual condition so as a treatment I think it is fine however I do not believe it is an accetable procedure as a pre-emptive to potential conditions when those conditions are mostly avoidable since condoms have become so widespread and available.

No

the female version of misogyny is misogyny...
    Misanthropy: hatred/dislike/distrust of humans/people.
    Misogyny: ... of women.
    Misandry: ... of men.

that's how words work.
    The statements that "all men are bastards" and "all women are b1tches" are misandry and misogyny.
    This is regardless of the gender of the speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

kiffer wrote: »
    the female version of misogyny is misogyny...
    Misanthropy: hatred/dislike/distrust of humans/people.
    Misogyny: ... of women.
    Misandry: ... of men.

that's how words work.
    The statements that "all men are bastards" and "all women are b1tches" are misandry and misogyny.
    This is regardless of the gender of the speaker.

We weren't talking about the gender of the speaker, but the gender of who it was directed at.

The original comment was highlighting the fact that these women were not aware that the word misandry existed. Probably should have been phrased as "male version of misogyny" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Neither does Google Chrome's spell check...

No
    newport2 wrote: »
    We weren't talking about the gender of the speaker, but the gender of who it was directed at.

The original comment was highlighting the fact that these women were not aware that the word misandry existed. Probably should have been phrased as "male version of misogyny" though.

That's sorta kinda my point... in my understanding they were presenting misogyny as a thing men do. Hence the "female" version would be something women do.

... anyway the whole thing is a mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

P_1 wrote: »
    Ok so,

1 - Sweltering day so I decide to wear a vest (wifebeater) to work, apparently that looked 'unprofessional' yet female staff were swanning around wearing half nothing.

2 - Apparently just because I'm male I couldn't cash up quickly :confused:

3 - Apparently I didn't have a clue about fashion

What does "cash up" mean?

• Advertisement

No
    S.R. wrote: »
    What does "cash up" mean?

Count the money in the till and balance it against the float/sales.

Advertisement