Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom email on tablet

Options
  • 28-02-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering how to set up an @eircom.net email on an android tablet is there a certain app to get like gmail have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

clairek6 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering how to set up an @eircom.net email on an android tablet is there a certain app to get like gmail have?

Anyone please??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You set it up in the default Email app if your tablet has one. If not you can download an email app from the Play Store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭jgbyr

clairek6 wrote: »

I could never set this up. I've never seen an eircom app for this, so what I did was set it up in Gmail through its own folder.
    Now when an Eircom email arrives it's through the Gmail app but it's marked as originating from Eircom.
    Either that or log into webmail through a browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I have Eircom email setup using IMAP on android. IMAP keeps the emails on the server unlike POP which downloads them and removes them from the server.

Incoming Settings
    myusername@eircom.com
    Your Eircom password
    IMAP server - webmail.eircom.net
    port - 143
    security - STARTTLS

Outgoing Settings
    Here you need to use gmail as the means to send from the phone (so it works on both wifi and the mobile data network). You could just put in your 3G providers details if you only use their data network on a phone. I see you have a tablet so, if you want it to work anywhere on any network then.

1st step - in gmail allow other accounts to send via gmail. It's in Settings | Account | Send Email As. Create it as NOT an Alias. It'll email your eircom account to confirm.

2nd Step - On the phone/tablet add the outgoing email server
    SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com
    Port - 25
    Security - STARTTLS
    Tick require sign in
    Username - myusername@gmail.com
    Gmail Password

Gmail handles your outgoing email but puts the reply address as your eircom one.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I have Eircom email setup using IMAP on android. IMAP keeps the emails on the server unlike POP which downloads them and removes them from the server.

Incoming Settings
    myusername@eircom.com
    Your Eircom password
    IMAP server - webmail.eircom.net
    port - 143
    security - STARTTLS

Outgoing Settings
    Here you need to use gmail as the means to send from the phone (so it works on both wifi and the mobile data network). You could just put in your 3G providers details if you only use their data network on a phone. I see you have a tablet so, if you want it to work anywhere on any network then.

1st step - in gmail allow other accounts to send via gmail. It's in Settings | Account | Send Email As. Create it as NOT an Alias. It'll email your eircom account to confirm.

2nd Step - On the phone/tablet add the outgoing email server
    SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com
    Port - 25
    Security - STARTTLS
    Tick require sign in
    Username - myusername@gmail.com
    Gmail Password

Gmail handles your outgoing email but puts the reply address as your eircom one.

Hope that helps.

You can opt to keep mail on your pop server.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There's a setting for leaving them on the server but the real point of iMAP over pop is that once you read the email on one device it gets marked as read on the server and wont be download again on another device as unread.

Eg you have a pc and a tablet,you view emails on the tablet and then go to your email on the pc later and download them. The ones you read earlier dont come in to the inbox as unread again..

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

thanks for all replies tried them all and ended up just using the webmail and saving it as a bookmark, wouldnt connect to server at all from default emails. but its fine now thanks!

Advertisement