Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How many times have IE put the SDO system for the ICRs out to tender? It was an oversight when they ordered them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

good to hear ICRS being used on the limerick waterford route which is technically an intercity route but one wouldn't know or realize it the way it has been neglected over the years, 50 people off at waterford, good? bad? don't know, but i think this line could be saved if a real go of it was made, it should have got whatever investment it needed during the good times but whatever.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

good to hear ICRS being used on the limerick waterford route which is technically an intercity route but one wouldn't know or realize it the way it has been neglected over the years, 50 people off at waterford, good? bad? don't know, but i think this line could be saved if a real go of it was made, it should have got whatever investment it needed during the good times but whatever.

IMO 50 is an very good number for a Saturday in Jan, there would be many other services on main routes which wouldn't achieve that. The best business would of being the 07.20 up service mainly from Clonmel to the junction.
    How many times have IE put the SDO system for the ICRs out to tender? It was an oversight when they ordered them in the first place.

I think its being out at least twice if not more but again yes it may of being an oversight but when they were ordered majority of the network could easily cope with 7 piece. It's only Kilkenny that doesn't have at least one platform to take one and the regional lines so its not a major issue

7 piece sets are only scheduled on Westport, Galway (selected weekend services) and a more regularly on Sligo so not causing major problems and those rosters were before the FC were put back into 5 so they will likely be removed from Galway services as has happened a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

cough:mad:

PHOTO Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

BowWow wrote: »

PHOTO Thread

That is a beautiful photo you posted there :rolleyes:

PHOTO Thread.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

PHOTO Thread.....
    He's right though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Morning all,

I've uploaded a few updates to my Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:
    - Shannonvale Mill on the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway (taken by my brother)
    - Kilcummer Viaduct near Fermoy on the Mallow to Waterford Line (taken by my brother)
    - San Francisco Municipal Railway (SF Muni) modes of transport taken in April 2013
    - Stuttgart Main Station in January 2014
    - Cork Area photos in January 2014

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Enjoy,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

roundymac wrote: »
    He's right though.;)

indeed, one quoted photo, one photo and one video in the last 50 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 78,274 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BowWow wrote: »

PHOTO Thread
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »

PHOTO Thread.....
    roundymac wrote: »
    He's right though.;)
    indeed, one quoted photo, one photo and one video in the last 50 posts
    You know what to do then, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Good evening all,

A rather excellent late morning at Monastervin and Kildare to photograph the regular & some additional freight & perway train movements.
    - Inspection Car 722 1030 Kildare - Ballybrophy - Heuston - Kildare.
    - 071 0750 Limerick - Kildare Wagon Trial.
    - 078 0930 North Wall - Ballina IWT.
    - 072 1020 North Wall - Ballina Empty Wagon Transfer.
    - 081 1010 Waterford - Portlaoise Ety. Materials Train.

Plus the usual diet of MKIV's and ICR's.

The pictures begin at http://smu.gs/1b5bx4v

Enjoy,
    The Wanderer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

This morning was the dullest morning of winter, dark and wet, a term used years ago, ''you wouldn't take a camera out of a bag'' but digital photography has changed all that. It maybe dark and wet, there is no light for the eye to see, so the digital camera creates an illusion, giving light and brightness that's not there, on film, what you see is what you get, but digital photos, what's real and what isn't, who cares if there's a result so they say, Iv my own opinion.
    079 shunting HOBS into the stonebank taken at 3200 ISO 1/250sec F5.6
    078 shunting IWT LXs taken at 6400 ISO 1/250sec F5.6
    Them ISO readings are absolutely daft, they do certainly create an illusion with light that doesn't exist, photos attached.
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Nice shots h.gricer.
    Looking a bit more like a freight yard.

Nice shots h.gricer.
    Looking a bit more like a freight yard.
    Never mind the flattery Metrovick;), your opinion on all this digital stuff, if only the camera had legs, then I could stay in bed, I may as well do that, because these digital cameras do all the work, what would the late Joe St Leger make of it all.
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

LOL. You have no excuse not to go gricing in all weather conditions now h.gricer.

h.gricer wrote: »
    Never mind the flattery Metrovick;), your opinion on all this digital stuff, if only the camera had legs, then I could stay in bed, I may as well do that, because these digital cameras do all the work, what would the late Joe St Leger make of it all.
    Regards
    hg

H Gricer....the sun can stay behind the clouds 365 days of the year now and you still get a decent shot...thanks to the wonders of the digital age.

Even this morning...dull and dark at 0840 hrs. I wanted to get a photo of one of the final unloved 4 car Premier Class sets, 22033 passing Portlaoise with the 0800 Heuston - Cork and I was happy with the result.

Plus other pictures from:

- Limerick Jct.
    - Limerick.
    - Mallow.

The pictures begin at http://smu.gs/1fiDPLk

The Wanderer.

Just out of interest Wanderer, what was the ISO and other info on your Portlaoise photo, it certainly show the weather on the day, cold, dark, damp, wet and windy, Id say it was the darkest week of winter so far.
    Kind Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

h.gricer wrote: »
    Just out of interest Wanderer, what was the ISO and other info on your Portlaoise photo, it certainly show the weather on the day, cold, dark, damp, wet and windy, Id say it was the darkest week of winter so far.
    Kind Regards
    hg

hg,

If you click the little (i) icon to the bottom right of the pics, you can see the EXIF data. In the case of the Portlaoise shot, it's:

Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D90
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length 35mm (52mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/2
    Exposure Time 0.0025s (1/400)
    Name DSC_2388.JPG
    Size 1600 x 1063
    Date Taken 2014-01-31 08:46:32
    Date Modified 2014-01-31 17:57:42

File Size 1.25 MB
    JPEG Quality fine
    Flash flash did not fire
    Metering pattern
    Exposure Program manual
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Exposure Mode manual
    Light Source unknown
    White Balance auto
    Digital Zoom 1.0x
    Contrast 0
    Saturation 0
    Sharpness 0
    Subject Distance Range unknown
    Sensing Method one-chip color sensor
    Color Space sRGB

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Hi Wanderer firstly thanks for sharing your photos with us they really are great! Just a quick question if I may re this photo http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2014Photos/January2014/i-4vz5nzT . Am I reading the description correctly? A car was taken from a 4 car ICR to make another 3 car ICR a 4 car? Has the second trainset got something the first hasn't? e.g. Cleared for work north of the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

csd wrote: »
    hg,

If you click the little (i) icon to the bottom right of the pics, you can see the EXIF data. In the case of the Portlaoise shot, it's:

Camera NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D90
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length 35mm (52mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/2
    Exposure Time 0.0025s (1/400)
    Name DSC_2388.JPG
    Size 1600 x 1063
    Date Taken 2014-01-31 08:46:32
    Date Modified 2014-01-31 17:57:42

File Size 1.25 MB
    JPEG Quality fine
    Flash flash did not fire
    Metering pattern
    Exposure Program manual
    Exposure Bias 0 EV
    Exposure Mode manual
    Light Source unknown
    White Balance auto
    Digital Zoom 1.0x
    Contrast 0
    Saturation 0
    Sharpness 0
    Subject Distance Range unknown
    Sensing Method one-chip color sensor
    Color Space sRGB

/csd

Thanks for the info csd i cannot ever understand modern day camera's my old Fuji Finepix only cranked up to 800 ISO that was way back in 2002, very old in digital terms, the modern camera to has a range of 100 ISO up to a high 3200, I find it's a personnel preference I usually keep at a low 400 IS0 when there is good light sunny days. In the photo H Gricer submitted you are talking about 1500 ISO or more depends on camera make.

In my case it's a Nikon D5200 a mighty little camera, and a small pocket camera model called a Sony RX100M2 which is able to shoot Raw, the digital negative in relation to film terms I'm not a expert but its hit and miss some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Hi Wanderer firstly thanks for sharing your photos with us they really are great! Just a quick question if I may re this photo http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2014Photos/January2014/i-4vz5nzT . Am I reading the description correctly? A car was taken from a 4 car ICR to make another 3 car ICR a 4 car? Has the second trainset got something the first hasn't? e.g. Cleared for work north of the border?

It's to do with how IE are grouping the ICRs into 3,4,and 5 car sets. Leaving the set that became a 4ICR in the old system would mess up the new system so it went back to a 3IRC.

Makes no odds if it cleared north of the boarder or not as that equipment is only in the cabs of sets 1-6 and not in the intermediate cars.

Under the new 5ICR reformation sets 1-10 will now be 3ICR as apposed to the 4ICR reformations where they were to be 4ICR sets.

This is how the new system will go, the old system was not fully completed at the time the new one was brought in so that's why some odd changes are taking place.
    3ICR: 22001 - 22010 / 22046 - 22063.
    4ICR: 22011 - 22030 / 22041 - 22045.
    5ICR: 22031 - 22040

• Advertisement

Looks like all the questions for me have already been answered. :) Cheers folks.

Iarnrod Eireann is 27 years old today. One of their first new rolling stock purchases (excluding the MK3 order which started in the C.I.E. era) was the 2600 Class DMU's from Tokyu Car Corportation in Japan, along with the 201 Class Locomotives from GM in London, Canada. 20 years on from delivery, 2603 still looks smart as it stands in Mallow with the 1435 Cork - Tralee.
    http://smu.gs/1i8xpR1

The Wanderer.

Wanderer 2603+2604 arrived at Ocean Pier 14th February 1994, locomotive 167 hauled them from Alexandra rd to NW.
    jhnn wrote: »
    Thanks for the info csd i cannot ever understand modern day camera's my old Fuji Finepix only cranked up to 800 ISO that was way back in 2002, very old in digital terms, the modern camera to has a range of 100 ISO up to a high 3200, .
    Technology certainly moves, my father used a Drepy 120 film camera which shutter speed only cranked up to 1/250sec max, he used a seperate Yashica light meter, I really thought I was the ''bee's knees'' when I bought a bran new SLR Yashica FX-D in 1987, it cranked up to 1/1000sec, but more modern SLR cameras went up to 1/4000sec.
    The digital nonsense camera I got last year goes up to 6400ISO, but goes higher under an ''Hi'' setting, but I still think the colours are much deeper on film.
    I still have my Father's contraption, it only has sentimental value, photo below.
    Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Anyone have photos of Rolling stock or Loco's being delivered from ships or aircraft in Ireland?

Its not something you see online very often

There's a photo on Wikipedia of 124 being craned off the ship in Dublin.

There's also the famous photos of 201 being taken out of an Antonov AN124 at Dublin airport and also one of it going along the quays (I think). They're in the IRRS journals from the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,274 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've added a new rule for posting on this thread (see first post).

"If posting a link to you own site or photo set, you must display at least one photo, e.g via hot-linking."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anyone have photos of Rolling stock or Loco's being delivered from ships or aircraft in Ireland?

I have a few professional quality shots of some of the DD's arriving in. I'm a feeling that I have one of a 2600 being unloaded as well. If I get a chance this week then I'll scan and upload them for perusals :)

231 being unloaded North Wall Quay Extension, I took the photo Friday 24th March 1995, 228, 229 230 where unloaded the same day.
    The Enterprise locomotives 206, 207, 208 and 209 where unloaded the next day.
    Regards
    h.gricer

• Advertisement

Evening folks,

An interesting (and frustrating) day today with three locos needed for a timber train and several Dublin bound Cork services delayed from train faults and bad weather.
    Pictures start at http://smu.gs/1evGLX1

DSC_2475-M.jpg

The Wanderer.

Advertisement