Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR students in Trinity.

Options
  • 30-01-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I'm looking for information about HEAR students who got into Trinity. Just a couple of questions.
    1). What points did you get?
    2). What course did you get?
    3.) What points is your course? (Bad English? :pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

MSISS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

BESS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

BESS

I think that one of the flaws of the system is that, despite having qualified for DARE, yet clearly, to a great extent, having overcome your "disadvantage" (demonstrated by top 4-6% of cohort points-score), you will have taken one of the DARE places on that course.

Speaking in general terms, that would suggest that the aim of the system is not to encourage "disadvantaged" applicants who are likely to underperform in the LC because of social situation, but, instead, to increase the percentage of "socially disadvantaged", by whatever means (e.g. by having DARE applicants announce their "social disadvantage", they can be included in statistics).

Have you any thoughts?

Edit: demonstrated as being invalid, by subsequent poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

I think that one of the flaws of the system is that, despite having qualified for DARE, yet clearly, to a great extent, having overcome your "disadvantage" (demonstrated by top 4-6% of cohort points-score), you will have taken one of the DARE places on that course.

Speaking in general terms, that would suggest that the aim of the system is not to encourage "disadvantaged" applicants who are likely to underperform in the LC because of social situation, but, instead, to increase the percentage of "socially disadvantaged", by whatever means (e.g. by having DARE applicants announce their "social disadvantage", they can be included in statistics).

Have you any thoughts?

Just to clarify, HEAR students (DARE is for students with disabilities) who get above the minimum points for their course don't take one of the quota of places set aside for HEAR students, however they can still avail of the other benefits HEAR offers. So if in a course of 50 students 3 places are set aside for HEAR students who don't get enough points, a HEAR student who gets above the minimum points will take a place from the 47 "regular" places.

Just to clarify, HEAR students (DARE is for students with disabilities) who get above the minimum points for their course don't take one of the quota of places set aside for HEAR students, however they can still avail of the other benefits HEAR offers. So if in a course of 50 students 3 places are set aside for HEAR students who don't get enough points, a HEAR student who gets above the minimum points will take a place from the 47 "regular" places.

I'm sorry, I can't access the website to look for information. Are you sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Yes I tried to go onto the site too to check the quotas. I'm 100% sure. If you would like I can put you in touch with someone from the TAP office who could back me up.

Yes I tried to go onto the site too to check the quotas. I'm 100% sure. If you would like I can put you in touch with someone from the TAP office who could back me up.

No, thanks! I'll fully concede the argument when the site is accessible again! :)

I've just noticed, now, my having mistakenly called it DARE. And, it must have been a Freudian slip, because what I based my claim on are these statistics for DARE. On reinspection, I now see I misunderstood. Thanks for your correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Exeter_Gently

Law

there sre quite a lot of HEAR students on my course

Advertisement