Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your productivity at work?

Options
  • 09-01-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

Just as the title suggests.
    I spend 8 hours a day at work ( private sector) and probably spend 6 being productive and 1 chatting and fluting around and 1hour on breaks; which isnt bad since alot has to be said about being happy in the work place & the managers stop a chat to people every now a again.
    So whats yours?
    Be it a doctor or road sweep a pilot or zoo keeper how productive are you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

At very best im productive for 4 hrs out of an 8 1/2 hr day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm productive for 8 and a half hours out of a nine hour shift. The missing half hour is my break. I try to be as productive as possible because I work alone and get bored or lonely otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Specialun wrote: »
    At very best im productive for 4 hrs out of an 8 1/2 hr day

Shocking statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just as the title suggests.
    I spend 8 hours a day at work ( private sector) and probably spend 7 being productive and 1 chatting and fluting around and 1hour on breaks; which isnt bad since alot has to be said about being happy in the work place & the managers stop a chat to people every now a again.
    So whats yours?
    Be it a doctor or road sweep a pilot or zoo keeper how productive are you?

8 does not equals 7+1+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Made some of my finest most productive..........

posts to boards at work :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

On call 24 hours a day a lot. Productive about 3 hours a day mostly. Get paid fcuk all for what I'm doing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Quazzie wrote: »
    8 does not equals 7+1+1.

Fixed.
    Thanks.

Shocking statistic.

My boss doesnt mind as a hammer targets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Working at home at the moment so it's 16 hours of being 50% active but when in the office, outside of coffee breaks, I'm active and if I'm doing something interesting I'm happy enough to continue at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

I'm productive for 9 hrs a day from 9 in work, including breaks, I do my best thinking on the toilet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Cody montana

About 5out of 8 hours.
    The rest is arseing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is this the HSE chatforum? 4 hours productivity in a day? That's a sackable offense where I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

I'm self-employed.

Accordingly I work fcucking hard, when at work which is probably a 60 hour week. It would sprawl into an 80 hour week or more if I let time go idly by.

One thing that massively increased my 'productivity' was having a child. Huge motivation to get into work early, get what needs to be done, done, and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

It varies as my work increases with different campaigns etc. but I'm at about 85% normally with low periods of about 50% to highs of 130% (ie extra hours unpaid :( Damn you salary!) You just take the good with the bad bt it's a nice place to work with a great atmosphere and good benefits so worth it overall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

My workplace is so laid back that sometimes I feel guilty for taking a weeks wage. Routine is in at 8, cup of tea first then start at 8:30, tea break at 10 to 10:45, dinner at 1-2, then it's time for another cup of tea at 4:30 before we all leave at 5. This is not taking into account all the chats and messing that goes on, which is a lot. So all in all I'd say we average 5 hours per day productivity.

Sometimes I'd be late and mightn't get in until 9 but nobody notices or cares. The managers don't care and don't want the hassle of falling out with people.

I hate the job and I'm leaving in September to go to college but the laid back nature of this job will be hard to find again.

Aidric wrote: »
    Is this the HSE chatforum? 4 hours productivity in a day? That's a sackable offense where I'm concerned.

Some jobs have alot of admin tasks....completely depends on whether or not you consider admin tasks as productive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm productive for 8 and a half hours out of a nine hour shift. The missing half hour is my break. I try to be as productive as possible because I work alone and get bored or lonely otherwise :)

Prostitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Work 8.5 hours a day and of that 55 minutes are breaks. Productive for 7 hours 35 minutes. Counts are taken on the hour, we really aren't given a chance to take 5 minutes to ourselves outside of our breaks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm supposed to do a 40 hour week, but regularly do more than that.

As most of my work is face to face, there is little opportunity for dossing.

I'm a consultant but have loads of admin so the more consulting I do, the more extra time I have to spend of my free time on admin :(

I once had a job where we got bonuses for logging work time above 120%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I teach about 5 hours a day on average and plan classes for an hour and a half a day. I'd be productive for all of that as you can't hide for a snooze in the toilet with your head on your coat on the sanitary bin like I could in previous jobs while you're in a classroom staring at students, unfortunately. If I'm feeling lazy or couldn't be arsed with the "Enthusiastic Teacher" buzz, we do listening and I can sit there and stare blankly in to space while they probably do the same. Win win for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I do 12 hour shifts. Sometimes productive for 12 hours, sometimes 0 hours. On average about 5/6 hours from 12. Just the nature of the job but I do try to do as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Aidric wrote: »

He's being honest.

In every job I've had there have been people who are performing their work to a poor standard, people dossing, and people day dreaming every day. These guys would all deny it like you might and lots in here are doing, but it is what it is. Even the best workers space out for a few minutes here and there. It's human nature.

There are few people who have the discipline to concentrate for 8 hours straight. You either have to genuinely enjoy what you are doing or be a rare robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Limecube

Have my own IT dev company with 9 employees, hopefully growing to 11 this month. A while back, we decided to go for a four day week, taking every Monday off. We dealt with it, by adding an extra 52 days holidays to each employee's contract, mandating that they are taken on a Monday. So we try and do our best to not flute around and get a weeks realistic work done between Tue-Fri. Its worked really well for us, and staff retention has been excellent.

So to answer the question, when we're in work, we're working. When we're in the pub, we're drinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

BNMC wrote: »
    My workplace is so laid back that sometimes I feel guilty for taking a weeks wage. Routine is in at 8, cup of tea first then start at 8:30, tea break at 10 to 10:45, dinner at 1-2, then it's time for another cup of tea at 4:30 before we all leave at 5. This is not taking into account all the chats and messing that goes on, which is a lot. So all in all I'd say we average 5 hours per day productivity.

Sometimes I'd be late and mightn't get in until 9 but nobody notices or cares. The managers don't care and don't want the hassle of falling out with people.

I hate the job and I'm leaving in September to go to college but the laid back nature of this job will be hard to find again.

HARD!!!!!
    try impossible,it sounds cool though:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

11 hour day (usually) of which 10 are productive (or 11 if I'm too busy to take a break)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Work an 8 hour day and there is an hours break taken out of that so would be working non stop for the other 7 hours.

Its a physical job and there is always a supervisor on the floor and 12 cameras which show what is going on to the managers in the office so no room for slacking.

It's better to be busy anyway as the day goes quicker and I hate lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Very low productivity but I find that putting in a lot of effort doesn't achieve anything so I don't bother. And nobody notices or cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I work 30 hours a week and probably productive for 18 of those hours.

60% productivity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I did absolutely no work today and feel guilty about it - on Tuesday I spent the entire day reading research papers and neither produced anything nor understood anything new at the end of the day. And no one has checked on anything I've done in about 2 months.
    I wish I had a better work ethic :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

im productive 100 % of the time.. Hate doing nothing and like being busy :P The fact that were usually understaffed and tend not too get breaks a lot helps the fact

Advertisement