Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers spend 10% of their time not watching the road

Options
  • 02-01-2014 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

A new study, getting a fair amount of publicity at the moment, has found that drivers spend as much as 10% of their time not watching the road.

The study followed a group of 150 novice and experienced drivers aged 18-72 for a year, monitoring their driving behaviour with video cameras inside the car, along with sensors which recorded acceleration, braking, swerving, drifting out of a lane and other information. Crashes and near misses were recorded.

On average the drivers spent about one minute in every ten doing something else other than keeping an eye on their driving. The behaviours examined included eating, drinking, texting, changing the temperature or radio controls, adjusting their mirror or just looking out the window at something other than the road.

Not surprisingly, the use of mobile phones was the biggest distraction. Talking did not increase risk: reaching for the phone, answering and dialling was more dangerous for novices as well as experienced drivers.

Distraction was a much bigger hazard for young and inexperienced drivers, also not a surprise. The odds of a novice driver getting into a crash or near-crash when distracted (compared to when paying attention) were over 8 times higher when they were dialling a mobile phone, 8 times higher when reaching for something other than their mobile, 7 times higher when trying to grab the phone, 4 times higher when looking at something on the side of the road (eg while rubbernecking), and 3 times higher when eating. Among the experienced drivers, the only activity that significantly increased the likelihood of a crash or near miss, by a factor of 2.5, was dialling a mobile phone.

Link: http://www.thejournal.ie/mobile-phones-driving-1246128-Jan2014/

Original study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1204142

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hands free is the way to go for calls, there's no excuse for holding your phone these days

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm surprised that they found no link between talking on the phone and accidents. To take an extreme example, having a heated disagreement with a partner on the phone has to be be dangerous. I'd imagine any call where you're emotionally involved carries risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that they found no link between talking on the phone and accidents. To take an extreme example, having a heated disagreement with a partner on the phone has to be be dangerous. I'd imagine any call where you're emotionally involved carries risk.

Hard to measure, I'd say. What percentage of all phone conversations might be risky? You'd have to study a large enough sample of phone conversations and be able to identify which were 'normal' and which ones were 'heated'.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hands free is the way to go for calls, there's no excuse for holding your phone these days

I don't use a hands-free kit. The mics were in the car when I bought it, but I have never bothered with it. When I'm driving I am simply unavailable. That's just me, but why would people who depend on their mobile phones, or use them heavily all the time, not install a hand-free kit? I'm out of touch with these things, but should hands-free mobile technology be standard in all vehicles by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Any more dangerous than having a heated disagreement with someone in the passenger seat?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I don't use a hands-free kit. The mics were in the car when I bought it, but I have never bothered with it. When I'm driving I am simply unavailable. That's just me, but why would people who depend on their mobile phones, or use them heavily all the time, not install a hand-free kit? I'm out of touch with these things, but should hands-free mobile technology be standard in all vehicles by now?

For me before I picked up a new Stereo in Aldi that did bluetooth i was also unavailable if I was driving,

If somebody really really needed me in an emergency then they could keep calling me and I could pull over and take the call, other then that everything normal could wait until I get to where I'm going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mobile phone use by drivers has reached epidemic proportions. People can't leave their phones down long enough these days, for fear that they are missing something.

I was driving the other morning and saw 4 cars in a row, with 3 talking and the 4th texting or reading their phone. If the Gardai were really serious about stamping out this problem, they could because it would be like shooting fish in a barrel so many people use their phones.

djimi wrote: »
    Any more dangerous than having a heated disagreement with someone in the passenger seat?
    That depends on the partner, I suppose. You'd like to think that a partner actually in the car would have more appreciation that you're still driving, but it doesn't always work out that way.

In certain circumstances having other people in the car can reduce crash risk. Some studies have shown that having passengers can lead to reduced crash risk because of factors such as more conservative driving, having someone else available to scan the road, and being more alert because of having someone to talk to.

Working out what constitutes "distracted driving", and quantifying the relative risks, is a complex business. However, some of the risks are so great that they're already obvious, eg texting/dialling on a mobile phone.

A thought occurs: having kids in the car makes me drive much more conservatively, but if they're fighting, crying or pestering me that's a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

That depends on the partner, I suppose. You'd like to think that a partner actually in the car would have more appreciation that you're still driving, but it doesn't always work out that way.

It could be argued that at least you cant see the person who you are talking to on the phone and therefore are more likely to keep your eyes on the road while talking to them, unlike a passenger who you might be inclined to look at while talking to.

Im not saying that talking on a phone while driving is safe btw; I simply dont necessarily agree that the actual act of talking while driving (as opposed to holding a phone while driving) is any less safe than talking to a passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's quite scary at times when you're passing people on the motorway and you see them with their eyes downcast, obviously checking their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bleh. The call can still take your concentration off your driving.

IMO, having young children in your car can be more of a distraction than the mobile phone, as they'll sporadically cause disruption for the entire journey.

=-=

I wonder what percentage of a persons driving time is spent looking for speed cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

With some of the driving i have seen lately, i would flip those figures around. Zombies and retards driving. Its no wonder my car is so often damaged by other muppets behind the wheel. Maybe if i sprayed it dandelion yellow?

It could be argued that at least you cant see the person who you are talking to on the phone and therefore are more likely to keep your eyes on the road while talking to them, unlike a passenger who you might be inclined to look at while talking to.

Im not saying that talking on a phone while driving is safe btw; I simply dont necessarily agree that the actual act of talking while driving (as opposed to holding a phone while driving) is any less safe than talking to a passenger.
    I don't know whether or not it is - like you, i'm just speculating. My real point is that I don't believe that there's no link between talking to someone while driving and having an accident. I can accept that an experienced driver can chat away safely enough, but if the conversation turns serious then I think there has to be an increased risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Speaking for myself I use the phone a fair bit in the car (via the integrated Bluetooth) but I'll occasionally drift off mid sentence if something on the road warrants more attention - it's an automatic thing, I don't even notice I've done it.

Texts/emails are a curse though but I just ignore those till I get a chance to safely read/reply to them. If it's that urgent they can always call me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of a persons driving time is spent looking for speed cameras?

I also wonder what percentage of a person's driving time is spent checking the speedometer. With the absurd focus on speed limits when it comes to enforcement/advocacy, I'd contend that a lot of people spend a lot of time glancing down to their speedometer to check that they're not over the limit, particularly away from motorways, HQDC and larger single carriageway N roads.

With the levels of refinement present in modern cars, it's difficult to gauge speed from noise levels or watching the scenery. Considering the time required to glance down, focus on the speedometer and then glance up and refocus on the road - lots of time for something to go wrong.

When's the last time the RSA ran an ad campaign focusing on general observation skills while driving?

To their credit, they've run campaigns specifically around awareness for vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists) but given the average Irish person's penchant for applying rules by rote (a trick the school system continues to force on everyone) rather than thinking through everything, I'm not sure the general message on the importance of observation gets through to enough people.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who can spend thousands on cars yet will not buy a decent Bluetooth hands free kit for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think the idea is that a passenger will see if there is a hazard up ahead and will automatically shut up to let you concentrate, but someone on a phone won't know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I'd say its alot more than 10% Tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

10% seems very low to me.

When out walking I see a huge number or people not watching the road and by the way they are looking downwards I'm guessing they are using their phones. Actually using a phone to call someone while driving is probably not as distracting as sending texts or even emailing people or looking at Facebook\Twitter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chimaera wrote: »
    I also wonder what percentage of a person's driving time is spent checking the speedometer. With the absurd focus on speed limits when it comes to enforcement/advocacy, I'd contend that a lot of people spend a lot of time glancing down to their speedometer to check that they're not over the limit, particularly away from motorways, HQDC and larger single carriageway N roads.
    And very much so on the quays, to ensure you're only going 30km/h. And as you're going so slowly, MORE people tend to walk out in front of you! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'll take a proper read through the study when I get home from work this evening, but does the 10% include times when the car is stopped at traffic lights, etc?

If it does, then 10% sounds on the low side to me.

Chimaera wrote: »

With the levels of refinement present in modern cars, it's difficult to gauge speed from noise levels or watching the scenery. Considering the time required to glance down, focus on the speedometer and then glance up and refocus on the road - lots of time for something to go wrong.

I had a feeling someone would bring that one up.

Unlike texting, applying lipstick or drinking a cup of coffee, checking the speedometer occasionally is an appropriate behaviour while driving. Strictly speaking it's a distraction from looking at the forward view, but then so is checking mirrors, for example.

Also important are the reasons for checking the speedometer, the frequency, the duration of each check, and the moment chosen to do the check. Competent and experienced drivers are able to check their speedometer occasionally, maintain an appropriate speed and generally keep their eyes on the road without being overly distracted.

In fact, there is some evidence that checking the speedometer correlates with a lower level of risk. Here's one study of commercial drivers where checking the speedometer was associated with one-third the risk of a "safety-critical event" compared to not checking the speedometer. By way of contrast, texting was associated with a level of risk 23 times higher (than not texting).

That said, innovations such as HUDs are possibly safer as well as more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I've bluetooth built into my car, but I never connect my phone to it, I hardly ever get calls when i'm driving tbh. And if i do, I just pull in. If I miss it, so what, if it's important they'll ring back! I find the most distracting thing is changing the heater controls, having to set the temp and where you want the air to blow to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I am so used to my car now I can press the station buttons without looking or adjust the heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Has anyone noticed the spread of the 'phone to chin hands free technique',basically it's drivers who believe that having the phone on loudspeaker while holding it to their chin makes them immune from the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Youzername

Wow amazing stats there. I've a complete hands free set up in the car now. But being honest I have looked at the phone a couple of times when I know I shouldn't.

Had a little scare there awhile ago (during the summer) which really opened my eyes. Was on a empty straight, with a few guys in the car, and it was literally roasting out. I asked the chap in the passenger seat to stick the air con on but he literally hadn't a clue what he was looking at. So I just said here I'll do it myself. 5 seconds if even, I took my eyes off the road and nearly veered into the side barrier as the road took a slight bend :eek:

Just opens your eyes, if anything its made me way more cautious.

zerks wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed the spread of the 'phone to chin hands free technique',basically it's drivers who believe that having the phone on loudspeaker while holding it to their chin makes them immune from the law.

I see that all the time. Drives me nuts.

Odd thing is, there is never a Garda around when it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I see that all the time. Drives me nuts.

Odd thing is, there is never a Garda around when it happens...

It's sickening the amount of times every day I see people driving whilst holding a phone, in one way or another.

That said, I was on the way to work this morning and the woman in front of me spent more time turned around dealing with her brat in the back seat than she did facing forwards (and that included both when stopped at lights and when driving :eek:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think the idea is that a passenger will see if there is a hazard up ahead and will automatically shut up to let you concentrate, but someone on a phone won't know

It depends on the passenger, some will not stop blabbing at you.
    As for bluetooth systems, it doesn't even have to be expensive, I spend E20 on a headset, yes I look like a tit, but it's handy.
    One would assume that people should be able to prioritise tasks in their head, i.e. a rapidly approaching obstacle should be given more than yapping about your day on the phone.
    But there is a lot that people will look at other than the road, gearlever, heater controls, radio, looking for that fag they're dropped, looking at the map, the phone or (a classic) attractive people of the opposite (or indeed same) sex.
    It will always happen, you can only regulate for it so much and at some stage you will have to clamp people's head in a vice whilst taping their eyelids open.
    That may be slightly impractical.
    All you can do is raise awareness and train people, which are the two things that never happen in Ireland, positive re-enforcement is not something we do here, it's tax-hammer and ban-hammer, other than that we're out of ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement