Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

109-111KM in a 100KM zone?

Options
  • 18-09-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Think I may have been caught by a speed cam doing this speed. A friend of mine says they don't fine you unless your 10% over the limit? Any truth in that? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Think I may have been caught by a speed cam doing this speed. A friend of mine says they don't fine you unless your 10% over the limit? Any truth in that? :o

There is a margin of error allowed to account for speedo errors. That situation you're in is full of..... Controversy

*puts on sunglasses and dances into the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Depends, your speedometer is usually off by a little (often showing a few extra mph).
    Was there a flash or anything to indicate the cam snapped you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I was caught doing 109 in 100 zone - caught but a stationary can camera I think.

Got the €80 fine and 2 points on the licence.
    Sorry for the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

It really depends.
    As said, speedos usually show you going marginally faster than you actually are.

I've driven by a speedfan with the speedo showing 110 and get nothing.
    I've also driven by one with the speedo showing 110 and got 2 points and an €80 fine.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Controversy

biko wrote: »
    Depends, your speedometer is usually off by a little (often showing a few extra mph).
    Was there a flash or anything to indicate the cam snapped you?

Couldn't see a flash anyway? The garda was looking through the lens anyway, road was a bit busy too though... Don't think I would have noticed the flash on a day like today though would I? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

57 in a 50 is what I got done for. Margins are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,173 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Couldn't see a flash anyway? The garda was looking through the lens anyway, road was a bit busy too though... Don't think I would have noticed the flash on a day like today though would I? :(

Was it a fixed speed camera or a Garda with a tripod camera?

I thought a Garda with a tripod camera would flag you down if they were issuing you a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was it a fixed speed camera or a Garda with a tripod camera?

I thought a Garda with a tripod camera would flag you down if they were issuing you a ticket?

No, tripod cameras can take pictures as far as I'm aware.. no need to stop you. Same with the vans (their own and "GoSafe" :rolleyes:) and the fixed cameras.

If they only have the "hairdryer" and don't stop you though then you're more than likely OK.

At least that's how I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

expect to get a letter in the post, and hope to be wrong

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, a "did I get caught speeding?" thread. I forgot this was a day ending in a y.
    I think they are our equivalent of the AH threads "I chatted to a girl, does she like me?"
    No offence OP :)

As bazz26 asked: was it a fixed speed camera (a box on a pole) or was it a Garda with a tripod?

• Advertisement

I think they are our equivalent of the AH threads "I chatted to a girl, does she like me?"
    No offence OP :)

As bazz26 asked: was it a fixed speed camera (a box on a pole) or was it a Garda with a tripod?

Garda with a tripod cam.. Doubt it makes a difference does it?

I'm 90% sure that if they have a tripod or "hairdryer" they must pull you over as those devices doesn't take a picture with reg.
    I think they're actually lasers to measure speed and not cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm 90% sure that if they have a tripod or "hairdryer" they must pull you over as those devices doesn't take a picture with reg.
    I think they're actually lasers to measure speed and not cameras.

If they have a tri-pod they take a picture and send it out in the post, no need to stop cars. They only stop cars if using the hair dryer devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tripods can have a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If they have a tri-pod they take a picture and send it out in the post, no need to stop cars. They only stop cars if using the hair dryer devices.

fixed that for you.

The tripod is there to steady the laser gun for long range targeting.
    The gardai no longer have camera equipment attached to laser guns, and when they did, there were very few of them.

Only the vans take photos

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

mikeecho wrote: »
    fixed that for you.

The tripod is there to steady the laser gun for long range targeting.
    The gardai no longer have camera equipment attached to laser guns, and when they did, there were very few of them.

Only the vans take photos

When did they stop using them on the tri-pods and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

believe they used to just relay the information to another squadie up the road a bit, who subsequently pulled you in and did the paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

When did they stop using them on the tri-pods and why?

same reason they stopped using the Gatso radar vans and moved to robot multanova radar in the garda vans.

The technology was outdated, the cameras that attach to the laser gun are antiquated.
    just like the equipment in the gatso vans.

Some of the laser guns being used by gardai are no longer being manufactured ie lti 20:20

Technology moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

same reason they stopped using the Gatso radar vans and moved to robot multanova radar in the garda vans.

The technology was outdated, the cameras that attach to the laser gun are antiquated.

Some of the laser guns being used by gardai are no longer being manufactured ie lti 20:20

Technology moves on.

Just to back up mikeecho, this is all correct.

Technology moves on.

So I shouldn't be getting a letter in the post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

So I shouldn't be getting a letter in the post?

Not for this particular incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

BX 19 wrote: »
    57 in a 50 is what I got done for. Margins are slim.

Was 57 what the fine said or what your speedo said? If it was what the fine said, then your speedo was probably reading about 60 - 62ish which would be a fair bit over for a 50, most likely a built up/urban area. Not giving out or anything.
    I have a fairly accurate idea of what my speedo V actual speed so when conditions permit, I do the following:

in a 30kmh zone, at most I will do 32 - 35 on the speedo :mad:
    in a 50kmh zone, at most I will do 53 - 55 on the speedo
    in a 60kmh zone, at most I will do 64 - 66 on the speedo
    in a 80kmh zone, at most I will do 85 - 87 on the speedo
    in a 100kmh zone, at most I will do 106 - 108 on the speedo
    in a 120kmh zone, at most I will do 127 - 129/130 on the speedo

Works a treat and I have never got a ticket in over 13 years of driving.

Advertisement