Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half of UK disregard green man when crossing the road - what laws do you break daily?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

If its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Rules of the Road..... but only the ones I don't agree with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    What small laws do you break daily?

Just thermodynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Think before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I live with the shame of no TV licence :)

Eamonn Gilmore has outsmarted me though with his new broadcasting tax
    * shakes fist *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

The law of gravity, I float around all day in my shopping trolley like a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

I haven't broken any laws Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I don't think Jay-walking is illegal here.

I don't think Jay-walking is illegal here.

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

mutley18 wrote: »
    The law of gravity, I float around all day in my shopping trolley like a boss.
    I tried breaking that law......I was out of hospital in just three weeks.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I'm not falling for this again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MadsL wrote: »
    It is.

It can't be if pedestrians always have priority. Unless, you're thinking of your "here."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Nearly half of British adults often ignore the green man when crossing the road

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/06/green-man-gets-red-light/

Aren't they the bastards. What will they be at next? Selling drugs? Riding whores? Where will it end? 'Tis terrible Joe... :D

It can't be if pedestrians always have priority. Unless, you're thinking of your "here."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a46

I'll be honest and say I've never read over that before. But I think the comment I made, would be more relevant to section 8.3 of it. As in a possible misrepresentation of what 8.3 refers to when it says:

"A driver of a vehicle approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations."

"At the junction" appears to be something amiss, with regards to common conversation on the matter.

I'll be honest and say I've never read over that before. But I think the comment I made, would be more relevant to section 8.3 of it. As in a possible misrepresentation of what 8.3 refers to when it says:

"A driver of a vehicle approaching a road junction shall yield the right of way to another vehicle which has commenced to turn or cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations and to a pedestrian who has commenced to cross at the junction in accordance with these Regulations."

"At the junction" appears to be something amiss, with regards to common conversation on the matter.

I thonk it makes it clear enough that pedestrians do not have absolute right of way. Crossing the road within (I think) 50 feet of a pedestrian crossing (but not on it) is also an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,124 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nothing. Everything like crossing the street and drinking beer in public is legal over here :D.

(Well, okay, maybe not the first one, but seriously? Not even the Germans give a ****...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Nearly half of British adults often ignore the green man when crossing the road

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/09/06/green-man-gets-red-light/

Just goes to prove what an ignorant racist society they live in. Still I suppose at least we have not heard of any green men been stabbed to death yet.

Nothing. Everything like crossing the street and drinking beer in public is legal over here :D.

(Well, okay, maybe not the first one, but seriously? Not even the Germans give a ****...)

Errm. Hate to burst your bubble....not in Dublin

Intoxicating Liquor Bye-laws under the Local Government Act 2001 came into effect on 1st October 2008. The Bye-laws prohibit the consumption of intoxicating liquor on roads and in public places within the city of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have always flaunted the Maximum Penis Size laws.

Errm. Hate to burst your bubble....not in Dublin

Intoxicating Liquor Bye-laws under the Local Government Act 2001 came into effect on 1st October 2008. The Bye-laws prohibit the consumption of intoxicating liquor on roads and in public places within the city of Dublin.

Dublin?! Dublin?! Hah! Ahahahahha................h............................

Dublin, he sez....... :D

In the words of Robocop...I don't make the laws...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I have always flaunted the Maximum Penis Size laws.

No comment.

In the words of Robocop...I don't make the laws...

Ah, seriously... "Dublin"... ah, the **** you come out with.... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm so used to jaywalking in Dublin and the UK, that I found myself doing it in New York, where the cops are infamously harsh on the practice. Luckily no cop was around, and I found that the traffic lights in Manhattan operate on a much shorter time cycle, so it wasn't actually necessary to jaywalk.

I have to do it in Dublin centre, otherwise too much time is wasted waiting for the lights to change. London's not quite as bad, but I try to avoid it in the city centre, purely in the interests of safety.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Ah, seriously... "Dublin"... ah, the **** you come out with.... :D:D

Well the simple truth is you are not allowed to drink in public or jaywalk in Dublin, if you don't believe me just go look at the streets for yourself....

...never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Well the simple truth is you are not allowed to drink in public or jaywalk in Dublin, if you don't believe me just go look at the streets for yourself....

...never mind.

Yep, I got told off by staff outside the badass cafe in temple bar when I went out for a smoke with a bottle of bud in my hand, this was a few years ago now. More recently I was nearly ran over by a Dublin bus as I was crossing O' Connell street, I misjudged the time it'd take me to get across and the bus came out of nowhere...

The words my mother said to me as a child came back to haunt me-

"Always wear clean underwear, you never know you might get hit by a bus".

Pointless advice really, given that I'd practically soiled myself at the sight of the bus coming towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I'll cross the road when no traffic is around without waiting for the red man to turn. What gets under my skin is when people are beside a zebra crossing or lights and don't use them. I'm looking you lady who walked out in front of my car after I had just past a zebra crossing.

To the group of student that refused to use the lights during rush hour, when I walked passed ye up to the lights and waited for them to turn and crossed the road while ye where still waited until the traffic had come to a full stop slightly down the road to cross it because fcuk the man. Who than went to cross the road as the lights turn forcing a driver and cyclist to make a emergency stop. Two days after someone else was knocked down for doing the same thing.
    Feck ye.

As for other small laws I have broken. Drunk in public but tbf most people have broken that law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Yep, I got told off by staff outside the badass cafe in temple bar when I went out for a smoke with a bottle of bud in my hand, this was a few years ago now.

That not very badass of them

Advertisement