Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst beer you've had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

dan1895 wrote: »
    Honourable mention to Anchor beer from Hamburg, awful swill.

There is Anchor beer from California and they do a very nice porter and steam beer. There is also an Anchor lager from Malaysia I think which would give Budweiser a run for their money and Angkor beer from Cambodia, they have a poor lager but a nice stout.

There is no anchor beer from Hamburg. Maybe you are thinking of one of the beers above. If not, then there are Holsten and Astra from Hamburg which are both in the Heineken/Budweiser league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Most beer from a can, tastes like scutter.

FYP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

By far the worst beer I've ever had (and I defy anybody to think of a worst beer) is Mongozo (Coconut). I generally like anything with coconut in it but this tasted similar to when you're washing your hair in the shower and some of your OH's fancy tropical shampoo accidentally gets into your mouth. Dire stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Tried Marks and Spencer's Wiltshire rum beer at the weekend, brown dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

FYP:D

You really haven't a clue, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

The worst beer i ever tasted has to be " James Crean " My local were doing a promotion on it last year with the first pint free and €3 after that. Got half way don the first one and left it there. Absolutely vile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

BaZmO* wrote: »
    By far the worst beer I've ever had (and I defy anybody to think of a worst beer) is Mongozo (Coconut). I generally like anything with coconut in it but this tasted similar to when you're washing your hair in the shower and some of your OH's fancy tropical shampoo accidentally gets into your mouth. Dire stuff!

Bad memories flooding back right there, gagged a little bit when I read this. Also banana beer, there is some variety of banana beer on sale in the porterhouse if I am not mistaken.....also bad news. Sickly sweet and unpleasant aftertaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

You really haven't a clue, do you?

Whatever, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whatever, pal.
    He's not your pal, buddy*

Worst beer i've ever had - may come as a shocker to some - was mikkeller invasion farmhouse, it just tasted too barnyard for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bourganel Nougat Beer. Carling is probably second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oh god I take it back. Canterbury Jack, Spitfire, Bishops Finger. Even fresh out of the box in Lidl, they are skunked and undrinkable.

Brewdog's 5AM Saint. Like drinking a bottle of flower scented bathroom cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Spitfire is awful awful stuff..
    That & a blonde beer with octoberfest in the name.. never had as bad.. felt for the sink.when i poured it down..

Of the standards, nothings worse than carling..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Carling is the worst of the cheap beers also fullers honey dew was major disappointment.

I don't like the taste of honey, so that's up there for me too. Tried to to see if it tasted like real honey, and it did. Bleccch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Brewdog's 5AM Saint. Like drinking a bottle of flower scented bathroom cleaner.

Them's fighting words :p

Fantastic beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Saruman wrote: »
    Them's fighting words :p

Fantastic beer.

I had my first pint of 5am Saint the weekend,and it was superb but €6 was a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Harp............

Late 80's early 90's...

The worst hangover and the worst taste....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne in Gent a couple of years ago, was completely shtink.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a bottle of Duchesse de Bourgogne in Gent a couple of years ago, was completely shtink.

I have a great fondness for that beer.
    I've been saving a couple of bottles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Heineken, Budweiser, Carlsberg.. simply all piss. Never knew how I managed to choke them down.

Aside from that, Newcastle Brown Ale is pretty mank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I had this beer called Keller I think it was, it was in a silver can, it was sold in Quinn's off-licence in Drumcondra at one point. That was by far one of the worst beers I had. Honourable mention goes to Leffe Blonde

LOTD wrote: »
    Honourable mention goes to Leffe Blonde

!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Grayditch wrote: »
    !!!!

I find Leffe Blond too clove-y.

I don't find withing a country mile of the worst beers I've ever tasted, but hey, that's just me!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LOTD wrote: »
    I had this beer called Keller I think it was, it was in a silver can, it was sold in Quinn's off-licence in Drumcondra at one point. That was by far one of the worst beers I had. Honourable mention goes to Leffe Blonde

Jesus I'd forgotten about Keller, likely blocked it out of my mind because it was so bad. They used to do cheap cans of it in the bar in DCU. Tasted like fermented sea-water.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Had a mouthful of Carlsberg's Elephant beer. Absolutely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Two of the lads had 4 cans each of that stuff years ago, turned them into lunatics they were demented. Liquid lsd

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

One time I paid 5 euro for 6 cans of this royal dutch in a silver can, not the green can it usually comes in. It was really bad, it had such a foul taste off it and I'm not that hard to please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

A couple of months ago I had a golden ale on cask in the Porterhouse that tasted very similar to the concentrate of Rose's Lime Cordial, a drink my father used to always have when I was a kid. Obviously the whole citrus thing is an established flavour in beers but this was beyond all reckoning. I finished it but didn't enjoy it, which is really quite rare for me. The name was written in very faded chalk on the blackboard so I never got its name. Anyway, damn you, mysterious lime ale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Had a pint of Brooklyn Lager when I was in New York. Could barely finish it, but did out of principle. Got a real taste of soap off of it. Nearly like someone had put a squirt of Fairy into it!

I got that from a few bars here near Boston, apparently incorrect line cleaning is the culprit because I tasted that beer in a different place and it was actually quite nice.

Advertisement