Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do if you have Lost or Found an animal

Options
  • 29-07-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, we have had a few threads recently looking for advice on what to do if you have Lost or Found an animal. So, I am compiling a list of info that will be included in our charter and in our Lost and Found thread so we can quickly link to this relevant and important info as quick as possible to help people out. So, to start the ball rolling this is what I can think of:

If you have LOST or FOUND an animal:

Lost:
    • As a last resort, contact the local County Council for your area as they remove dead animals from the roads in case the animal was involved in a car accident.
    Found:
    • Check for a tag or info on the collar (check the underside also)
    • Check for a microchip with your local vet (easy and free of charge)
    • Advertise on the websites mentioned in the Lost section above.
    • Advertise in your local Pound/Garda station/Veterinary practice (see above for links)
    • Advertise in local shops/parks/boarding kennels/catteries
    • Check for ear markings if a "Greyhound/Lurcher"
    • Be aware that giving a lost animal to a pound will mean by Law this dog has only 5 days to be reclaimed by owner before being euthanased in most cases.Giving to a veterinary practice does not automatically mean they won't be handed to a Pound either.
    • By Law you are not free to rehome/keep an animal for 366 days if you avoid the Pound route.

Feel free to add anything (or correct me on anything) you can think of that would be of benefit. Be aware we can't link to Rescues but that is covered in our Umbrella list of rescues/shelters in our Charter

;)

Advertisement