Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

milking parlour build

Options
  • 15-07-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Seen as how 2015 is just around the corner and a lot of lads are considering extending their parlour/getting into milk i thought id give a rundown of a parlour and the costs of a 14 unit we put in this year into an existing shed with us adding on a span 60x30

Secondhand 14 unit plant new stainless steel pans and new stalls 20 unit fitted 18,000 euro
    New Augers/ secondhand orby feeders/meal bin 5,500 euro
    Electrial parts/wiring 3,500
    Concrete/blocks 13,000
    Labour 7,000
    Cladding/steel 4,000
    Machinery hire/diseal 4,000
    Bulk tank 6,000 litre 6000 euro
    Wash down pump/water heater 2,000 euro
    New esb connection 2,000 euro
    Misc 5,000 euro

Total cost came in at 70,000 euro with ourselves doing all of the groundwork/building work on the shed extension so to sum it up anyone out there that thinks its possible to put in a parlour on the cheap it aint really possible unless your talking about something under 10 units that will fit into an existing shed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭stanflt

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Seen as how 2015 is just around the corner and a lot of lads are considering extending their parlour/getting into milk i thought id give a rundown of a parlour and the costs of a 14 unit we put in this year into an existing shed with us adding on a span 60x30

Secondhand 14 unit plant new stainless steel pans and new stalls 20 unit fitted 18,000 euro
    Concrete/blocks 13,000
    Labour 7,000
    Cladding/steel 4,000
    Misc 5,000 euro

Total cost came in at 70,000 euro with ourselves doing all of the groundwork/building work on the shed extension so to sum it up anyone out there that thinks its possible to put in a parlour on the cheap it aint really possible unless your talking about something under 10 units that will fit into an existing shed.

Fair play for posting figures

How many are you milking and how many do you intend on going to comfortably

Is the 6000 litre tank big enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Thanks, really useful guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

stanflt wrote: »
    Fair play for posting figures

How many are you milking and how many do you intend on going to comfortably

Is the 6000 litre tank big enough

Milking 55 at the will be at 100 in 2015 have 50 heifer calves coming on with the potential to go to 250 plus if we can secure a 150 acre block beside us that should be coming up for lease shortly enough.
    On the bulk tank issue will put in a outdoor silo one if we go over the 100 and leave in the existing tank for the shoulders of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

nice job! i put in a 14 unit 6yrs ago when lads were getting out, the machine+clusters were only 2-3yrs old. 6000 euros including iron work water heater hoses and a water pump. Meself and the friend welded up the frame in three nights, installed the machine meself(pulsators were a pain as they were cut and had to be rewired(took me a day alone), wired the shed meself to the fusebox, brother wired it to the fusebox and checked everything over. Bought a 3000 litre tank for 900 and got it installed for another 800. Put it in using timber logs:D. Anyway it was in an existing milking shed so that saved alot, and i got a technician to check pulsation, vacuum etc the following yr. 8-9k but i was fortunate cos lads were leaving dairying at the time. Also got the the parlour rewired last year!

kevthegaff wrote: »
    nice job! i put in a 14 unit 6yrs ago when lads were getting out, the machine+clusters were only 2-3yrs old. 6000 euros including iron work water heater hoses and a water pump. Meself and the friend welded up the frame in three nights, installed the machine meself(pulsators were a pain as they were cut and had to be rewired(took me a day alone), wired the shed meself to the fusebox, brother wired it to the fusebox and checked everything over. Bought a 3000 litre tank for 900 and got it installed for another 800. Put it in using timber logs:D. Anyway it was in an existing milking shed so that saved alot, and i got a technician to check pulsation, vacuum etc the following yr. 8-9k but i was fortunate cos lads were leaving dairying at the time. Also got the the parlour rewired last year!

The amount of earthing that the electrian put in was unreal cost 700 euro alone for that every single metal part in the parlours earthed, well worth it though have milked in places that had stray voltage pure nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Concrete/blocks 13,000
    Labour 7,000
    Cladding/steel 4,000
    Misc 5,000 euro

Nice job looks well thought out!

Here is another example of an upgrade done this year in existing parlour. 10 unit can extend to 14

New machine with ten units will drive 14 if needed. Incl 2*2 pulsation,swing arms,back bars, kerbing €23000 incl vat

Installed all machine myself

Equipment hire 1200
    Concrete 1500
    Blocks. 400
    Steel for frame. 700
    Labour. 2500
    Wash down pump hoses n tank 800
    Electrical parts 350

Total €30500 incl vat
    Less grant on parlour €8000
    Vat back. €3000

Cash cost €19000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Very useful thread!! I'm not positive at all what I'm doing moving forward, currently got a 6unit milking 70cows, which is ok, but to hit the quota and produce more of a seasonal supply curve I can see myself milking 85/90 next year at the peak (90/6, 15rows, no thanks!). Most lightly option at the second is to fire on two more units, which would mean 11rows, I could add on the extra 2 units next Jan when only the winter ladies are in the parlour, probably cost me say 5grand all in, once I get hold of an old 2nd hand parlour to use the jars etc. Other option is just sit tight for next year, and do something like viewtodie in 2014/15, 19grand with the grant is very reasonable, I've seen some nice newish 2nd hand parlours also, likes of this looks decent, might sound abit pricey in comparison to 19k new, but the cashman feeders alone are worth a good few quid.

Biggest problem for me spending money on a new parlour now is I'm still unsure about the land base moving forward, also a 10unit would not fit into the existing parlour building, cowflow is poor as is, 8units will be about as many as I'd get away with, so its back to a job like jays in a new shed for 50k+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Timmaay wrote: »
    Very useful thread!! I'm not positive at all what I'm doing moving forward, currently got a 6unit milking 70cows, which is ok, but to hit the quota and produce more of a seasonal supply curve I can see myself milking 85/90 next year at the peak (90/6, 15rows, no thanks!). Most lightly option at the second is to fire on two more units, which would mean 11rows, I could add on the extra 2 units next Jan when only the winter ladies are in the parlour, probably cost me say 5grand all in, once I get hold of an old 2nd hand parlour to use the jars etc. Other option is just sit tight for next year, and do something like viewtodie in 2014/15, 19grand with the grant is very reasonable, I've seen some nice newish 2nd hand parlours also, likes of this looks decent, might sound abit pricey in comparison to 19k new, but the cashman feeders alone are worth a good few quid.

Biggest problem for me spending money on a new parlour now is I'm still unsure about the land base moving forward, also a 10unit would not fit into the existing parlour building, cowflow is poor as is, 8units will be about as many as I'd get away with, so its back to a job like jays in a new shed for 50k+

Saw that one advertised and thought it looked a decent parlour kid u got it for 10k it might be worth it. That type cashman feeder making about 250 each s/h newer type around 450each. So I'd be looking at 7500 for machine which isn't too bad. Plus your labour etc for installing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Going forward...

Great thread.

Milking 74 through a six unit. Two hours from start to finish so not too bad. Space isn't limited and could squeeze in two more with new troughs as the shed is atm. Finding a window to do the work is my problem, cows are always milking.

Dump line, feeders, drafting and more importantly, getting rid of the slow milkers make a massive difference to output in smaller parlours. Also, I think there's a notion amongst farmers that one hour is the absolute maximum, which is nonsense imo.

Dump line, feeders, drafting and more importantly, getting rid of the slow milkers make a massive difference to output in smaller parlours. Also, I think there's a notion amongst farmers that one hour is the absolute maximum, which is nonsense imo.

Agreed with all that, I have come to the conclusion also that hiring a milker say 10times a month would only set me back 5grand a year, small change in comparison to in my case of spending 50k+ upgrading the current 6unit parlour to a new 10/14unit, which would only really knock off max an hour at most from the current 3hrs (per day total) it takes me now from clusters on to clusters off. Those 10 free milkings a month would mean a hell of alot more to me than shorter milking times! (I picked 10 a month as an average, covers say taking a long weekend off here and there, along with maybe every sat or sun morning to allow for hangover sleep ha!). My main reason for wanting to go to 8units at least is I'll be pushing on the cow numbers next year abit, then if alot more come 2015 I'd be balancing out the cost of a new 14unit etc against the extra income that I get, rather than being able to milk in 40mins etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Agreed with all that, I have come to the conclusion also that hiring a milker say 10times a month would only set me back 5grand a year, small change in comparison to in my case of spending 50k+ upgrading the current 6unit parlour to a new 10/14unit, which would only really knock off max an hour at most from the current 3hrs (per day total) it takes me now from clusters on to clusters off. Those 10 free milkings a month would mean a hell of alot more to me than shorter milking times! (I picked 10 a month as an average, covers say taking a long weekend off here and there, along with maybe every sat or sun morning to allow for hangover sleep ha!). My main reason for wanting to go to 8units at least is I'll be pushing on the cow numbers next year abit, then if alot more come 2015 I'd be balancing out the cost of a new 14unit etc against the extra income that I get, rather than being able to milk in 40mins etc!
    Have to agree with you Tim ive a seven unit parlour milking 60, parlour 40 years old would love to upgrade but ive a lad milking 20 times a month cos have ofj and would still have to pay him when its built.

Great thread.

Milking 74 through a six unit. Two hours from start to finish so not too bad. Space isn't limited and could squeeze in two more with new troughs as the shed is atm. Finding a window to do the work is my problem, cows are always milking.

If your a one man show i think its a given, i was told by about five farmers in the area i was crazy putting in the parlour i did and what was wrong with a good six unit your only wasteing your money, what i class as crazy is the lads that have no problem spending 60,000-70,000 grand on a tractor but when it comes to upgrading the parlour thats so far down the list it dosent even register.

i was told by about five farmers in the area i was crazy putting in the parlour i did and what was wrong with a good six unit your only wasteing your money

Ha, plenty of lads I know who have spent wayy more money than you did for less units (ie they went to town on gadgets, acrs/flowmeters etc etc), I'd personally have no problem spending 60/70grand on a setup like yours down the line, but need to prioritize spending for now on things that will give a better return, both financially, and reducing my workload.

i have a 12 unit basic, takes about an hour in the evening, an hour and a half in the evening milking 90 cows. I done the milking a couple of weeks ago in a 20 unit, the worst thing i ever did, all i was thinking afterwards was putting in a bigger parlour, the thought tho only lasted a half an hour!. I will eventually add on more units or replace the machine with cluster removers and upto 18-20 units but only when i can afford it. The only machine i care about on the farm is the milking parlour. But if it would save me an hour in the day and i could afford it i definitely upgrade. Time is money:D

We are putting 21 rows through one and 17 through another at peak excellent drafting on both.
    Do not see the need to spend 150k when we pay milkers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Concrete/blocks 13,000
    Labour 7,000
    Cladding/steel 4,000
    Misc 5,000 euro

Why didn't you go for a straight exit and have the dairy offset?

delaval wrote: »
    We are putting 21 rows through one and 17 through another at peak excellent drafting on both.

Three issues i see with that amount of rows 1. I wouldnt personally spend upwards of 5 and a half hours plus a day milking cows why should you expect someone else to do it.
    2. Your last couple of rows of cows are spending 4 hours plus a day standing on concrete which is the main reason in large herds with long milking times the last two rows look like s...t for 90% of the year.
    3. Staff retention/getting staff if your looking for staff and you interview a top class lad who ticks all the boxes but he also has another job offer same wages/conditions but it involves say ten rows of cows with hour and half machine on machine off milkings 99% of the time what job is he going to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If I was u de laval I'd splash the cash and stick in a 60 bay rotary parlour with acrs .freind milks about 280 in one in an hour and 15 minutes and swears it was the best money he ever spent.sure it'll keep the tax man away from u as well!!!!!!.

lads i get bored milking for over an hour, but thats cos im milking 7 days a week, the minute i get a good few quid, there is gona be changes around here:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

Concrete/blocks 13,000
    Labour 7,000
    Cladding/steel 4,000
    Misc 5,000 euro

jaymla627 thanks so much for posting such details and photos. Iam going to upgrade an old parlour too and was fascinated by your expansion of the build and parlour. Could you post more pictures of the parlour building (roof and especially the railway supports and what looks like a crush at one side of the building). Can you tell us any more about the building expansion, such as mass concrete, things you outsourced or didn't. Particularly interested in the roof, walls, supports etc. I have the same old feeders, where did you source extras, what would you recommend/lessons learnt/ costs? Very impressed here. Well done!

• Advertisement

Three issues i see with that amount of rows 1. I wouldnt personally spend upwards of 5 and a half hours plus a day milking cows why should you expect someone else to do it.
    2. Your last couple of rows of cows are spending 4 hours plus a day standing on concrete which is the main reason in large herds with long milking times the last two rows look like s...t for 90% of the year.
    3. Staff retention/getting staff if your looking for staff and you interview a top class lad who ticks all the boxes but he also has another job offer same wages/conditions but it involves say ten rows of cows with hour and half machine on machine off milkings 99% of the time what job is he going to take.

1 I have no prob doing it and we pay the two guys well one guy here 10 and other 8 years

2 yes this is a very real issue cows on concrete but I must say they are not looking ****e. The slow walkers and penicillin are kept beside parlour.

3 Staff retention refer to point 1.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    If I was u de laval I'd splash the cash and stick in a 60 bay rotary parlour with acrs .freind milks about 280 in one in an hour and 15 minutes and swears it was the best money he ever spent.sure it'll keep the tax man away from u as well!!!!!!.

There is no doubt that we need to address the milking time situation. Cow numbers and quota grew rapidly here through opportunities that I couldn't pass up. Land also was bought so concrete was low on the list and still is.
    We are fortunate that we have 3 parlours though one need attention (7k) to go properly. We have too many cows for two parlours and not enough till 2015 to operate 3 as of now it would require 3 milkers and we will stick it out for another while.

On your point re rotary. Lovely parlours to milk in, huge initial cost and running costs are high. 60 point for 250 cows is over kill but you must build big for expansion as they can't be extended. I have a friend in the UK with an 80 bale with one man putting 80 out every 10 minutes that's 100 mins for his 750 cows.

My plans are for groups of no more than 250 through 24 unit parlour. It's the max number that 1.5 men can handle with one guy milking from end of Ai till dry off.

1 I have no prob doing it and we pay the two guys well one guy here 10 and other 8 years

2 yes this is a very real issue cows on concrete but I must say they are not looking ****e. The slow walkers and penicillin are kept beside parlour.

3 Staff retention refer to point 1.

Just to throw a curve ball at yeah so did yeah ever do the figures on how much money you would save a year in wages if you knocked one hour a day of each milking doing simple maths 28 hours week x 44 weeks = 1232hours x 15 euro hour= 18,480 euro a year not to mention happier cows

There is no doubt that we need to address the milking time situation. Cow numbers and quota grew rapidly here through opportunities that I couldn't pass up. Land also was bought so concrete was low on the list and still is.
    We are fortunate that we have 3 parlours though one need attention (7k) to go properly. We have too many cows for two parlours and not enough till 2015 to operate 3 as of now it would require 3 milkers and we will stick it out for another while.

On your point re rotary. Lovely parlours to milk in, huge initial cost and running costs are high. 60 point for 250 cows is over kill but you must build big for expansion as they can't be extended. I have a friend in the UK with an 80 bale with one man putting 80 out every 10 minutes that's 100 mins for his 750 cows.

My plans are for groups of no more than 250 through 24 unit parlour. It's the max number that 1.5 men can handle with one guy milking from end of Ai till dry off.
    how many cows are ye milking delaval, is it 3 separate parlours and is it all the one block, just wondering

how many cows are ye milking delaval, is it 3 separate parlours and is it all the one block, just wondering

3dairy farms only two milking at the moment till post quota. If it was all together that would have built by now

Did you not post recently in Moorepark thread about 'poster boys' and the lack if sheds and OWP's.
    In sheds cows spend months on concrete and they don't look shyte!!!!!

if i had a lad fulltime, there would be no upgrade in milking facilities. But as it stands ill prob change the parlour in the nxt 5 yrs either extend the existing to a 16-18 unit or put in a new machine.

Did you not post recently in Moorepark thread about 'poster boys' and the lack if sheds and OWP's.
    In sheds cows spend months on concrete and they don't look shyte!!!!!

Therez a thing called cubicles and rubber mats does help alot, a new greenfield site in england milking 700 cows have no concrete exposed in their sheds even the feed areas are rubber matted along with the holding yard there was a trend on british farming forum about it before it crashed was really impressive.

if i had a lad fulltime, there would be no upgrade in milking facilities. But as it stands ill prob change the parlour in the nxt 5 yrs either extend the existing to a 16-18 unit or put in a new machine.

How many are you hoping to milk post quota, and what number would you be happy to milk on yourown, or say with no full time labour Kev? I don't think I'd be happy myself with much over the 100 with no help, especially not if I stick out the wintermilk. I think the route of going 150, hire someone fulltime, and put in a low cost no frills parlour would be more suited to me, that of course is dependent on the land becoming available beside me, and then the risk of having to employ someone, what if they leave and I can't replace them etc etc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

How many are you hoping to milk post quota, and what number would you be happy to milk on yourown, or say with no full time labour Kev? I don't think I'd be happy myself with much over the 100 with no help, especially not if I stick out the wintermilk. I think the route of going 150, hire someone fulltime, and put in a low cost no frills parlour would be more suited to me, that of course is dependent on the land becoming available beside me, and then the risk of having to employ someone, what if they leave and I can't replace them etc etc!
    am on my own at the minute- well my da will help if i need and my husband is doing a tiny bit- but no paid labour and its great.... got a lad to milk for me friday evening and saturday morning as i was away and there was water in the milk, no text from dairies bit protein was down .18% and fat was down too.....its an awful lot of hassle getting the right person and you dont want to kill yourself either

Advertisement