Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fáíl Senator: Hitler and Mussolini were "Good Christians"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ah jaysus, you're kinda clutching at straws now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

He's right though. The Vatican thought they were a great bunch if lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

Judging by their own standards maybe they were

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

here's the quote for anyone interested.

"The Pope was influential at that time but not as influential with Hitler and Mussolini…both good Christians, allegedly. Allegedly. Well, they were. [To a colleague off screen] You can check that too. I said they were trying to be. One was a clerical steward…Not in their activity. They were monsters and they destroyed the whole continent of Europe. Let’s be quite clear about that."

to be honest, I don't see all the outrage :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Why anyone votes for ANY of these clowns is what's beyond me.

Labour TD Michael McNamara, when voting on one of the most important bills in recent years - "I pressed the wrong button".
    There were only TWO fcuking buttons - yes, and no. You were TOLD to press yes. It couldn't be simpler, and yet, somehow he still manages to fcuk it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The OP took the quote out of context like a pro. You don't work for the daily mail do you? IF not you should apply there, you'd fit right in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

"The Pope was influential at that time but not as influential with Hitler and Mussolini…both good Christians, allegedly. Allegedly. Well, they were. [To a colleague off screen] You can check that too. I said they were trying to be. One was a clerical steward…Not in their activity. They were monsters and they destroyed the whole continent of Europe. Let’s be quite clear about that."

Me either. Clearly being a good christian != being a good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mussolini didn't have a hand in the WW2 atrocities. Italy had no desire to enter global conflict at that stage, Fascio Italiani Di Combattimento had Jewish members and many Jews fled south when the horrors began. He was an atheist from his early adulthood, A student of Nietzsche, that's where fascism developed from, 'The supreme egotist who defied both God and the masses.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

"The Pope was influential at that time but not as influential with Hitler and Mussolini…both good Christians, allegedly. Allegedly. Well, they were. [To a colleague off screen]......"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    Terry Leyden of Fianna Fáil described these two fascists who were responsible for a war that killed tens of millions and the genocide of 6 million Jews as "Good Christians". :mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/senator-describes-hitler-and-mussolini-as-good-christians-987948-Jul2013/#comment-1368481

Intelligent bunch of lads FF are.

5.8 million jews.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Zebra3 wrote: »
    5.8 million jews.

Ah here, why argue semantics. Either way, how daft do you have to be to come out with such a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

eh....yeah.....i think its pretty clear that these men were not good Christians and that anyone who would make such a pronouncement has a poor understanding of what a "good Christian" is. As stated above, Benito was an athiest and Adolf was...well...insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Nothing to see here, move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

5.8 million jews.

What's a couple of hundred thousand Jews between Good Christians…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

"The Pope was influential at that time but not as influential with Hitler and Mussolini…both good Christians, allegedly. Allegedly. Well, they were. [To a colleague off screen]......"

You forgot to highlight this bit -

"The Pope was influential at that time but not as influential with Hitler and Mussolini…both good Christians, allegedly. Allegedly. Well, they were. [To a colleague off screen] You can check that too. I said they were trying to be. One was a clerical steward…Not in their activity. They were monsters and they destroyed the whole continent of Europe. Let’s be quite clear about that. "

I have about as much time for selective editors and propaganda pushers as I do for politicians.

It was a dumb thing to say, but it was nothing out of the ordinary for a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

As a poster above said, being a good christian does not mean being a good person. at risk of dragging the thread a little OT, the nuns who ran the magdalin laundries and those teacher-priests who would strike pupils no doubt thought themselves as good christians, as did most of the country

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You forgot to highlight this bit -

"The Pope was influential at that time but not as influential with Hitler and Mussolini…both good Christians, allegedly. Allegedly. Well, they were. [To a colleague off screen] You can check that too. I said they were trying to be. One was a clerical steward…Not in their activity. They were monsters and they destroyed the whole continent of Europe. Let’s be quite clear about that. "

I have about as much time for selective editors and propaganda pushers as I do for politicians.

It was a dumb thing to say, but it was nothing out of the ordinary for a politician.

How is it selective editing or "propaganda pushing"? The fact is that he said it and it is extremely wrong, even by our country's standards of politicians that was scraping the bottom of the barrel. The fact is he still said it and no amount of verbal gymnastics or excuses, no matter how hard you try (not you personally) can obfuscate that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How is it selective editing or "propaganda pushing"? The fact is that he said it and it is extremely wrong, even by our country's standards of politicians that was scraping the bottom of the barrel. The fact is he still said it and no amount of verbal gymnastics or excuses, no matter how hard you try (not you personally) can obfuscate that.

Those who engaged in the crusades were good Christians. Those popes and religious personnel who instigated the inquisitions that led to the torture and killing of thousands of people were "good Christians".

Hitler and Mussolini could well have been good Christians, just like the 9/11 bombers may have been good Muslims. None of the above were good people though. Religions can have a fairly warped view of morality at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Itzy wrote: »
    Ah here, why argue semantics. Either way, how daft do you have to be to come out with such a statement?
    Zebra3 is anti-semantic

• Registered Users Posts: 36,176 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that person blatantly has no idea of the difference between "Christian" and "Catholic".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Indo making topics on boards now, is it?

Those who engaged in the crusades were good Christians. Those popes and religious personnel who instigated the inquisitions that led to the torture and killing of thousands of people were "good Christians".

Hitler and Mussolini could well have been good Christians, just like the 9/11 bombers may have been good Muslims. None of the above were good people though. Religions can have a fairly warped view of morality at times.

What is your definition of a "good Christian"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cienciano wrote: »
    Zebra3 is anti-semantic

He hates word clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Read the whole ****ing thing, and then try and tell us with a straight face that he was praising them or anything else close to that.

If you take it in context, it seems he's saying two supposed "Christians" didn't pay any heed to the most powerful Christian leader in the world.

If anybody should be catching feelings here, it's the big papas!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Look things up man, Mussolini despised the Catholic Church. He denounced it for it's 'authoritarianism and refusal to allow freedom of thought'

Ironic in many ways I know, he was living out the concept of the 'Superman' from the teachings of Nietzsche.

Remember Fascism originated with him, Hitler further developed his ideas's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

5.8 million jews.

I'm sure the "good Christians" who presided over the Spanish inquisiton and other church sanctioned/approved/condoned program's of persecution against the Jews would have admired his productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Trash reporting, absolutely disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Snappy dressers too.

It was taken out of context, what he actually said was Hitler , Mussolini, and Enda Kenny were good Christians yet it didnt stop them from jacking their own people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

floggg wrote: »
    I'm sure the "good Christians" who presided over the Spanish inquisiton and other church sanctioned/approved/condoned program's of persecution against the Jews would have admired his productivity.

As would have the good christians who carried out genocide in the Americas and Australia.

Advertisement