Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are we so afraid of?

Options
  • 03-07-2013 1:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

I was listening to Niall Boylan and he had 'Tony' on air, he is on hunger strike to get the attention of the government outside the four courts. He made the point that If they would listen if we all went out and protested.

In countries like France and Germany for example if the government does something that the population arent in favour of then they will go out and protest and not just a few hundred but thousands upon thousand and they manage to get their way in the end.

So what are afraid of? We are weak minded.

Why cant we get off our ****ing arses and do something? Calling into a radiostation and complaining is all we are capable of.

If there was a day set-up to go out on the streets of your respective counties and protest/riot would you go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm not sure starving ourselves will work.

Most of us could do with losing a few pounds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If we did something, things might get fixed, we'd have nothing to whinge about, and Joe Duffy might be out of a job.

That's why. Actions have consequences. Its for the good of Joe Duffy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Any protest made by the people would be hijacked by the ULA or eirigi.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Relatively speaking things still aren't that bad here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What have you done as a matter of interest as opposed to start a thread on the internet about it?

Personally nothing, because I would be more than happy to see this country fall off the map.

Question Is posed at those who have a bit of interest in the well-being of the hellhole.

But if there was a riot/protest organised I would attend, I need a new tv anyway and there was on in the window of dixons that I have my eye on :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

It might rain...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

jay92 wrote: »
    But if there was a riot/protest organised I would attend, I need a new tv anyway and there was on in the window of dixons that I have my eye on :P

Now there's a blast from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I was listening to Niall Boylan and he had 'Tony' on air, he is on hunger strike to get the attention of the government outside the four courts. He made the point that If they would listen if we all went out and protested.
    What did Tony do?

=-=

Cut the Dole to €50 a week, and people will protest. Otherwise they're happy to stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

SSssshhh.... I edited my post. Stop answering me pre-edit!

But I do think Irish people seem to think that rioting somehow solves something. Do you really think we should be smashing sh*t up and getting ourselves killed?

Personally I think peaceful protest is a much better way of doing things and much less likely to be high-jacked by people who don't care about anything and just want to break things.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

In countries like France and Germany for example if the government does something that the population arent in favour of then they will go out and protest and not just a few hundred but thousands upon thousand and they manage to get their way in the end.

Why cant we get off our ****ing arses and do something? Calling into a radiostation and complaining is all we are capable of.

If there was a day set-up to go out on the streets of your respective counties and protest/riot would you go?

I think its a lot to do with history and that has fed into our mind set. Ireland and the UK are very much rooted firmly in democracy having had democratically elected governments since the 1800's and we tend to take our anger out in the polling booth as was seen with the destruction of FF last time round. Most of Europe has been raped by dictators down through the years and have politically are a lot less stable than here. Greece, Spain not to mention Egypt.

We're just too democratic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Any protest made by the people would be hijacked by the ULA or eirigi.

So, how would the handful of members of Éirigí or ULA hyjack a protest made by hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens?

I never fail to be astounded by the excuses Irish people invent in order not to make a stand. I just do not understand the mentality. Mass demonstrations work. It is delusional to claim otherwise. In fact, even the threat of a moderately large protest by OAPs in this state worked. A peaceful mass demonstration by hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens on a consistent basis for accountability, prosecutions and radical reform of the Irish political system would have revolutionary consequences, and inspire the rest of Europe. Irish people could then hold their heads up high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    SSssshhh.... I edited my post. Stop answering me pre-edit!

But I do think Irish people seem to think that rioting somehow solves something. Do you really think we should be smashing sh*t up and getting ourselves killed?

Personally I think peaceful protest is a much better way of doing things and much less likely to be high-jacked by people who don't care about anything and just want to break things.

I,ll stop lol

Yeah I agree with your post, we have too many ***** in this country that would thrive in the environment of a violent protest, problem is even with a peaceful protest would people be bothered to show up? I somehow think not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Relatively speaking things still aren't that bad here.

The bastards - the involved negligent senior politicians and civil servants who are now on ridiculous pensions; fraudulent auditors; fraudulent senior bank officials involved in this crisis; newspaper owners who spoke up the economy because their income depended upon it while they pompously proclaimed themselves the "paper of record"; foreign politicians insisting upon terms from the Irish people which protected the interests of their countries corporations; and so many more - are getting away with this massive, multi-billion euro transfer of private debt to Irish citizens. This is before we get to the reality that Paddy Kelly, Seán Mulryan and the rest of these property developers are still being paid more per year than most/all people posting here, while we carry their debts.

How can all of that robbery of Irish public wealth/social services be so easily accepted? You don't have to be a crusader for justice to want these people to be made accountable. You just need to have a remedial sense of justice and fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Have you any recent examples of street protests in France and Germany changing government policy? The most recent ones in France that I can recall were the anti same-sex marriage protests but the government didn't back down on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Good post- you are right about france they are very different from the irish when they arent happy about something they will do more then ring in a joe duffy show to complain-take the retirement age being raised in ireland from 65 to 68 and the retirement age being raised in france from 60 to 62- while the retirement age was raised here there wasnt any big protest in opposition to it- compared to huge protests taking place in france over the retirement being rasied by just 2 years- BTW the retirement age was lower back to 60 at after the last french election- while the retirement age is still 68 in ireland because people didnt protest.
    Workers who entered employment aged 18 will be able to retire at 60 rather than 62, under the decree agreed at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.

The decision follows pre-election promises from the new president Francois Hollande to reverse the rise in the retirement age introduced by his predecessor Nicolas Sarkozy in 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/9314666/French-president-Francois-Hollande-cuts-retirement-age.html

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Personally nothing, because I would be more than happy to see this country fall off the map.

Question Is posed at those who have a bit of interest in the well-being of the hellhole.

That's why we don't protest. Because everyone is waiting for some else to organise it.

You're not weak minded. You're just lazy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I have three problems with these calls for 'protest'.

First, they normally vaguely refer to attacking gardaí, private business etc... all in the name of 'protesting'. This isn't Egypt.

Second, we're all supposed to be out protesting about something. What exactly? You wan't reforms but are vague. They vast majority of people have no idea how financial systems, banks and economies work. You'd get more support from a center right population with an actual plan with evidence to back it up.

Thirdly, I'm in work that day. There's around 13% unemployed in this country. Most people have work/school/college to go to. So yeah, all you'll get is Eirigí and the ULA.

Compare the transparency in Ireland to Greece, Cyprus or North Africa where there is actually something to protest about. We have it VERY good in this country.

In France there is a culture of opposing right wing policies off hand. Surely you can see the benefit for everyone n raising the retirement age? We're living A LOT longer than we used to? Whose going to pay for the millions of pensioners living well into their 80s/90s? We operate as a society and elect a government to manage that society. Governments make decisions which are not going to be popular to but are done because they make sense. Turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

What would your plan be for pensions in Ireland then? Just don't plan ahead? Ignore all the CSO data and forecasts? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Why cant we get off our ****ing arses and do something? Calling into a radiostation starting another fcuking thread in AH and complaining is all we are capable of.

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Nobody should be allowed to protest about increased taxes or cuts to services until they have outlined a properly costed alternative proposal.

Asking the money fairy to come down and conjure up a lare pile of cash doesn't count.
    Muttering about 'burning bondholders' doesn't count.
    Shouting 'tax the rich' through a megaphone doesn't count.

If all the placard waving crusties did this, I might take their protests a little bit more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Afraid of getting the house robbed by pikeys selling carpets if they ring the doorbell and there's no one home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don't think it's that we're afraid of anything.

It's just that in truth the country really is not in as bad a position as we would like to think, it is not about to collapse.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I have three problems with these calls for 'protest'.

First, they normally vaguely refer to attacking gardaí, private business etc... all in the name of 'protesting'. This isn't Egypt.

Second, we're all supposed to be out protesting about something. What exactly? You wan't reforms but are vague. They vast majority of people have no idea how financial systems, banks and economies work. You'd get more support from a center right population with an actual plan with evidence to back it up.

Thirdly, I'm in work that day. There's around 13% unemployed in this country. Most people have work/school/college to go to. So yeah, all you'll get is Eirigí and the ULA.

Compare the transparency in Ireland to Greece, Cyprus or North Africa where there is actually something to protest about. We have it VERY good in this country.

In France there is a culture of opposing right wing policies off hand. Surely you can see the benefit for everyone n raising the retirement age? We're living A LOT longer than we used to? Whose going to pay for the millions of pensioners living well into their 80s/90s? We operate as a society and elect a government to manage that society. Governments make decisions which are not going to be popular to but are done because they make sense. Turkeys won't vote for Christmas.

What would your plan be for pensions in Ireland then? Just don't plan ahead? Ignore all the CSO data and forecasts? What?

Well said.

There's no fluoride in their water.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    So, how would the handful of members of Éirigí or ULA hyjack a protest made by hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens?

I never fail to be astounded by the excuses Irish people invent in order not to make a stand. I just do not understand the mentality. Mass demonstrations work. It is delusional to claim otherwise. In fact, even the threat of a moderately large protest by OAPs in this state worked. A peaceful mass demonstration by hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens on a consistent basis for accountability, prosecutions and radical reform of the Irish political system would have revolutionary consequences, and inspire the rest of Europe. Irish people could then hold their heads up high.

OAP's are serial voters,students,unemployed and others that normally make up protests not so much or are left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The standard of living in Ireland is very cosy compared to most other countries. Even with changes the government brought in, most people have it easy and have little to truly complain about. Unemployment might be high but the benefits that one gets are high and taxes are still low. There is little reason for most people to go out on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Nobody should be allowed to protest

I think you're confused about what constitutes democracy and human rights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

There was a 'protest' organised last Thursday at 1pm and apparently approximately 50 people showed up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Show me a protest for a more libertarian approach to running our country and I'll join in.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of our nation are morons that don't understand economics and have no interest in listening to reason or logic: they'd rather be down the local drinking a bulmers whilst shouting at a television to support a foreign football team or arranging the piss-up and bouncy castle for their daughter's communion (despite disagreeing with most of the teachings and practices of the Catholic Church).

And those who can't find work, expect the rest of us to provide them with this lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

No I wouldn't, and I consider such a suggestion to be dangerously stupid in the extreme!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Advertisement