Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

James74 wrote: »
    Quick question folks, is there any issues with replacing the HDD with a 5400rpm disk rather than the 7200rpm. I'm thinking potential heat issues maybe? Any recommendations for 1TB disks?

The hdd in a ps3 is a 5400 anyway, so you would be replacing like for like. Thats what I understood anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Do the downloads that you start from the website not start until you reboot your console? That kind of defeats the purpose.

I don't mean they should download with it off, but if I leave it running surely they should start without me having to turn the PS3 off and on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

The hdd in a ps3 is a 5400 anyway, so you would be replacing like for like. Thats what I understood anyway.

Yes, it's cheaper too and the benefits of a 7200 are negligible; you're talking 2 or 3 seconds loading time saved here and there.

I don't know if the added heat is a problem or not to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭RedXIV

EGriff wrote: »
    Do the downloads that you start from the website not start until you reboot your console? That kind of defeats the purpose.

I don't mean they should download with it off, but if I leave it running surely they should start without me having to turn the PS3 off and on again.

If you have PS+ you can set a time for the console to come on and do some downloading. Mine is between 4-6am :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone having website issues with the online store?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Any word on the file size of Saints row 3/payday yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Scylla wrote: »
    Any word on the file size of Saints row 3/payday yet?

I bought SR3 off a sale at christmas and its around 8gb iirc

Just a heads up to those PS+ folk downloading BF3. I have been playing it since Day 1 and have seen many patches and the current install of game data on my HDD using the disc is 12gb. Which about 9gb of that is numerous patches.

You also cannot download them in the background.

So for those of you without good internet, be prepared!

Might take awhile, best to leave your PS3 on for a few hours overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Klair88 wrote: »
    I bought SR3 off a sale at christmas and its around 8gb iirc

Just a heads up to those PS+ folk downloading BF3. I have been playing it since Day 1 and have seen many patches and the current install of game data on my HDD using the disc is 12gb. Which about 9gb of that is numerous patches.

You also cannot download them in the background.

So for those of you without good internet, be prepared!

Might take awhile, best to leave your PS3 on for a few hours overnight.
    Never thought of that. With every map pack came a sizeable update, whether you were getting the maps or not. Added to the game itself it will be a fair old lump to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah shyte, my eircom broadband is crap. Gonna download payday first, then sr3.

Anyone up for some payday heists, add me sheehy83

More PS+ and PSN cards, not as good a deal as the ones last week, but €10 cheaper then face value:

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-network-card-50-euro/3355304

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/playstation-plus-365-day-subscription/3320830

• Advertisement

Is PSN even slower than usual today or is it just me? I started Payday downloading at around 1 o clock and its at 92% now. It's less than 2 and a half gigs FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Is PSN even slower than usual today or is it just me? I started Payday downloading at around 1 o clock and its at 92% now. It's less than 2 and a half gigs FFS.

Howd you get it already? Thought it wasnt til tomorrow?

(Store is fine for me but the browser version is down)

Scylla wrote: »
    Howd you get it already? Thought it wasnt til tomorrow?

(Store is fine for me but the browser version is down)

There's a free trial on the store, its the unlock that you pay for so I'll unlock it tomorrow when that becomes free.

At least I'm hoping that works, someone posted about it a few pages back.

Its at 98% now after nearly 11 hours, almost dial up speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When it comes to games that already have demos, what you get in PS+ is the trial unlock or the game unlock. You still need to download the demo/trial.

Usually you can just download the demo/trial in advance.

Ah Jesus Christ..... there's a 3.141 GB update to download once you have the thing installed. Why can't they put a patched version up on the store, the bloody update is bigger than the game was.

At least it not going as slow as the last DL, still going to take 3 hours though.

Ah Jesus Christ..... there's a 3.141 GB update to download once you have the thing installed. Why can't they put a patched version up on the store, the bloody update is bigger than the game was.

At least it not going as slow as the last DL, still going to take 3 hours though.

+1 they sould have the latest build for the games up, pisses me off no end!....download a 12GB game, version 1.00......ooh, you need a 4GB patch to go to 1.02 :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Is payday any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Is payday any good ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

When are PayDay, BF3 etc going up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm due to be upgraded to eFibre on Monday so will wait til then to download, I think. Will double as a test of the connection. :)

On another note. Looks like MS have annoyed their customers again with their PS+ type idea. Seems the 2 free games they announced aren't for this month but are actually just 2 games coming up in the promotion at some point. So Halo 3 could go up next month and AC2 in October. While we'd have another 3 months of AAA games by then. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

For anyone suffering with slow dl speeds on wireless I'd really recommend some home plugs. Stick it into amazon they're about 30 quid. I got them last week and the difference is just incredible. plus if your connection is that slow you'll have a hard time playing battlefield etc.

It is pretty bad in fairness. What were they thinking all sat around the boardroom table.....

"Hmmm the PSN guys have got over 60 games (a lot of them fairly recent AAA titles) And last month alone they got Demons Souls, KOA:Reckoning, ICO + SOTC, Uncharted 3, XCOM.

Let's one up them with Defence Grid".

They would have been better off staying as they were and giving nothing away than opening themselves up to those kinds of comparisons.

i get 4.5mbs with eircom but the last few days I have been getting 2.5mbs. Fast enough to play online but slow downloading.

I know this is off topic but how does a power plug increase Internet speed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

sheehy83 wrote: »
    i get 4.5mbs with eircom but the last few days I have been getting 2.5mbs. Fast enough to play online but slow downloading.

I know this is off topic but how does a power plug increase Internet speed :eek:

It doesn't - but if you are connecting wirelessly to your router then the plug is generally better. I too have a 2Mbs feed as standard and wireless speed was lower again. With the plug I nearly have the full 2Mps unless I am trashing my overall speed with things like work...

It is pretty bad in fairness. What were they thinking all sat around the boardroom table.....

there appears to be no communication within their walls. A colleague of mine was hob nobbing with head of xBox Ireland recently. After about two hours, he said "****, I've got to go. I've just been told that we've just launched xBox One".

The head of xBox Ireland wasn't told that the xBox One was about to be announced. Heard it on the feckin news.

Taltos wrote: »
    It doesn't - but if you are connecting wirelessly to your router then the plug is generally better. I too have a 2Mbs feed as standard and wireless speed was lower again. With the plug I nearly have the full 2Mps unless I am trashing my overall speed with things like work...

Router is right beside my PS3, must connect it with the cable so instead of wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Router is right beside my PS3, must connect it with the cable so instead of wireless.

Would this make it faster in downloading a big games if its connected by wire instead of wireless?

I spent nearly 5 days downloading Uncharted 3 wirelessly and router is right beside my PS3 too :rolleyes:

efiber thingy is not coming to my area until december, and I'm in the Dublin area.

Also, i'm new to PS3 and PS+, when do we hear what games are being put up for PS+ members?

I know different devices can interfere with the wireless, like our house alarm system control box is right behind the router and PS3. I'm gonna run speed tests on both wireless/wired and check it out.

Put this website in your favourites http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

The July games were announced on the 19th June but that can change. Any upcoming games, sales, PSN stuff will be on that site.

Would this make it faster in downloading a big games if its connected by wire instead of wireless?

I spent nearly 5 days downloading Uncharted 3 wirelessly and router is right beside my PS3 too :rolleyes:

efiber thingy is not coming to my area until december, and I'm in the Dublin area.

Also, i'm new to PS3 and PS+, when do we hear what games are being put up for PS+ members?

5 days means something is wrong on your end. Are you aware that downloads pause if you are doing ANYTHING online on the PS3? That includes, online gaming or Netflix or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

RangeR wrote: »
    5 days means something is wrong on your end. Are you aware that downloads pause if you are doing ANYTHING online on the PS3? That includes, online gaming or Netflix or other.

Yup, I left the PS3 on most nights while I slept. Just really bad internet in my area. I also noticed that U3 had 4 files, the mian game, 2d movie, 3d movie and Multiplayer, all added up to 40gb, I didnt download the 3d movie file as that was crazy 12gb :eek:.

Just to remind, I am new to PS+ downloads so go easy please ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement