Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which is the best for a first car out of these?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Which is the best for a first car out of these?
    I've done some research into to first cars. I've narrowed down a list to these.

Renault Clio , Misubishi Colt, Toyota Corolla , Nissan Almera/Micra , Seat Ibiza, Ford Fiesta , Ford KA , Suzuki Swift.

I did have Fiat Punto in mind on the list read a few reviews many said you spend a lot of time getting the car fixed.
    Also what is the best engine size no more than 1.4?
    And my parents don't drive so I'll have to be insured in my own name.
    Do you reckon I should buy a car before or after I've done driving lessons and passed my test?
    I'm aiming to spend no more than €2,500 on a car as there's the insurance costs afterwards and it is the first car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mk6 Festy 1.25

From an insurance, tax, maintenance and buying point of view

What kept happening to the Punto?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

dgt wrote: »
    Mk6 Festy 1.25

From an insurance, tax, maintenance and buying point of view

What kept happening to the Punto?

Oh I meant I heard it's a bad car that it breakdown a lot an needs repairs maybe it isn't bad. I did like the car it looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Fiesta 1.25 Renault clio or a 1.2 Polo

Never a Corsa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Toyota Corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.1 panda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv always refused to get a car smaller than 1.4

Swift. Clio. Fiesta. Corolla are all grand cars

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Are 2000 Clios any good? Have been offered one owned by a mechanic, fresh NCT, all service up to date etc, perfect condition for €900?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Are 2000 Clios any good? Have been offered one owned by a mechanic, fresh NCT, all service up to date etc, perfect condition for €900?

I'd be iffy about all french made cars, had a rather bad experience once with em...but that's just me

Can be a bit of a lottery, that one sounds better than most

Clio is easily the best modern renault

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I got a quote for a 17 year old first time driver as the main driver 1.4 corolla €4530/year. When you get your full licence the insurance drops to a more realistic level.

• Advertisement

I'd be iffy about all french made cars, had a rather bad experience once with em...but that's just me
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can be a bit of a lottery, that one sounds better than most

Clio is easily the best modern renault

Thanks lads. Might keep the search going so. Any better recommendations?

Thanks lads. Might keep the search going so. Any better recommendations?

Anything that isn't french or a corsa :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would say a 1.4 Astra (not on list) from 98-04. Not ugly, roomy and quite reliable. I had one for my first car. Ahhhh the memories. Decent room in the back too ;)

For the money anythings a gamble. Starlet is a pretty safe bet but not as modern or safe

For the record, astras are ugly

goz83 wrote: »
    I would say a 1.4 Astra (not on list) from 98-04. Not ugly, roomy and quite reliable. I had one for my first car. Ahhhh the memories. Decent room in the back too ;)

Currently driving one of these and I can vouch for every single one of those statements ;)

Currently driving one of these and I can vouch for every single one of those statements ;)

Are they not quite bad on petrol? read something on here where someone said they were getting approx 30mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

i would go with the swift

Are they not quite bad on petrol? read something on here where someone said they were getting approx 30mpg

Well I've had my one a year and I think it's fairly handy on petrol, It depends on if you look after it though, to give you a rough estimate, I got from my house in Kildare to Cork city on quarter of a tank, which isn't an awful lot, something like 20/25 quid or something

Whats bad about French cars? Would I be okay to buy a car after only a few lessons? as my parents don't drive.
    I wouldn't want to practise in someone elses car , even though I would get supervision practising in a car that was mine.

Whats bad about French cars?

Unless you give them everything they want, they stop working. In france, its called a strike.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »

Which Astra? the Opel or the Vauxhall?

Which Astra? the Opel or the Vauxhall?

Either, unless you are fussy about the badge. Same car after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A late 90's 1.3 Corolla with the unbreakable 4e-fe engine is what I recommend. If buying aim for a 99 model as they are a much better spec'd car than the 97-98 models and have abs as standard which is a bonus.

They are a very easy car to drive also with a nice light clutch and a very smooth gear change and all controls are well laid out and are easy to reach. Also build quality is top notch in these and reliability is second to none.

Imo they are the perfect car for starting off and one can be got for reasonable money these days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Whats bad about French cars? Would I be okay to buy a car after only a few lessons? as my parents don't drive.
    I wouldn't want to practice in someone else's car , even though I would get supervision practicing in a car that was mine.

I'd buy the car first and get the lessons from a friend, over 25 who has a full licence and can drive other cars (nearly all polices cover this) to teach the basics like taking off in first gear and moving to second. They can drive your car to a safe place like an empty parking lot. You should also practice the basics on your driveway if possible. This will save a few quid in lessons as any competent driver can teach the basics.

Then get professional lessons in your own car, rather than the instructor's, to get used to your own car. They will pick you up the first few times and drive you to quiet places.

I applied for my test after only a months driving, as I feel this is the best way. I passed but it' s no big deal if your fail. Just reapply. It's different nowadays as a leaner driver has to have a full licence holder in the car, so another reason not to leave it too long.

Don't take any notice of other drivers blowing the horn at you, as this happened to us all. We all have to start somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Get a fiesta OP
    Best starter car imo by a mile

It goes Fiesta> Yaris>>>>>>>>>>everything else>>>>>>>>>>>>Corsa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Walking>>>>>>>french cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

Polo would be good might not have great looks,,,,know a girl had colt for 4 yrs no problems I am older toyota man check difference in price of ins from 1lt to 1. 6lt if you can manage at all try to have your licence or they will rob you ,,ring around for quotes Good luck ...paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Well I've had my one a year and I think it's fairly handy on petrol, It depends on if you look after it though, to give you a rough estimate, I got from my house in Kildare to Cork city on quarter of a tank, which isn't an awful lot, something like 20/25 quid or something
    If you need to find out how handy it is on petrol you need to find it's mpg or km/l because saying I went from a to b on a quarter of a tank is useless information ;)

I'd buy the car first and get the lessons from a friend, over 25 who has a full licence and can drive other cars (nearly all polices cover this) to teach the basics like taking off in first gear and moving to second. They can drive your car to a safe place like an empty parking lot. You should also practice the basics on your driveway if possible. This will save a few quid in lessons as any competent driver can teach the basics.

Then get professional lessons in your own car, rather than the instructor's, to get used to your own car. They will pick you up the first few times and drive you to quiet places.

I applied for my test after only a months driving, as I feel this is the best way. I passed but it' s no big deal if your fail. Just reapply. It's different nowadays as a leaner driver has to have a full licence holder in the car, so another reason not to leave it too long.

Don't take any notice of other drivers blowing the horn at you, as this happened to us all. We all have to start somewhere.

I was thinking maybe get the first few say 3/4 lessons to see how I feel about the driving and than buy the car. How would I drive the car back when I buy it if I can't drive it? a few have said to wait until I get the full license but that would be long without a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you need to find out how handy it is on petrol you need to find it's mpg or km/l because saying I went from a to b on a quarter of a tank is useless information ;)

My car gets 40 rods to the hog's head..... and that's the way I likes it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I was thinking maybe get the first few say 3/4 lessons to see how I feel about the driving and than buy the car. How would I drive the car back when I buy it if I can't drive it? a few have said to wait until I get the full license but that would be long without a car.

You would need a friend to pick the car up for you if you buy it. Most policies cover this as long as the driver is over 25 with a full licence.

Nothing wrong with getting a few lessons first to see how you feel about driving.

I got my father to teach me the basics first in a parking lot. Got around 10 short lessons. It was free too. Then I went on the road with an instructor, and was quite comfortable taking off and changing gears. Probably saved me a few lessons as I already knew the basics. But your parents don't drive so you're in a different position.

I really can't see how you would get a full licence without owning your own car tbh. You'd need to be out on the road driving. Maybe I'm wrong.

Advertisement