Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat 885 loosing power?

Options
  • 09-06-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Tractor is 28 years old and losing power. Well maintained i.e. filters & oil. Black smoke, lower power on hills and spreading slurry. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Did you clean out the air filter oil bath ? If its clean, try disconnecting the rubber pipe from the air filter where it connects to the inlet manifold, and then bring it for a run with a load, see what happens. Sometimes the rubber pipe can degrade and an inner layer suck together and almost close off the air supply. after that I suppose your looking at worn cylinders etc. The black smoke would suggest to me that fuel is not your problem. I suppose you did not have any work or painting done recently to the tractor, and someone put a rag in the inlet manifold to keep dirt out? Years ago I saw a tractor that was smoking badly under load, the owner had pressure washed it a week before, and had put a plastic jug over the air filter intake to keep out water. never took it off afterwards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes Iver could be on to something, but I wouldn't rule out it not getting enough diesel either. The tank is up under the back window on those if I'm not mistaken and there's a lot the can partially clog between there and the injectors. If tank was let run low, sh*t could have up along. Check fuel filters and pipes. Does it ever go to conk fully and then start going again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Black Smoke
    Blue Smoke
    White Smoke

List of causes here;
    http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes Iver could be on to something, but I wouldn't rule out it not getting enough diesel either. The tank is up under the back window on those if I'm not mistaken and there's a lot the can partially clog between there and the injectors. If tank was let run low, sh*t could have up along. Check fuel filters and pipes. Does it ever go to conk fully and then start going again?

Yes it sometimes struggles at odd times, but it seems to always struggle in a high gear or under a load.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Black Smoke
    Blue Smoke
    White Smoke

List of causes here;
    http://www.dieselsmoke.com.au/

Black smoke is the most common smoke emitted from diesel engines. It indicates poor and incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. There are many causes, including…
    Incorrect timing
    Dirty or worn injectors
    Over-fuelling
    Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel)
    Incorrect valve clearance
    Incorrect air/fuel ratio
    Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
    Dirty air cleaner
    Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
    Other engine tune factors
    Poor quality fuel
    Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
    Cool operating temperatures

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »

I changed the fuel filter and there was a noticeable improvement in power but I still think things could be improved. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Check the fuel lift pump ..is the gauze filter in it clean? Put an airline to the pipe back to the tank and give it a blast. Take cap off tank first. Also there is a fuel cut -off tap just in front of the cab on the right hand side, check it didn't get a knock and is half closed!

dungfly wrote: »
    I changed the fuel filter and there was a noticeable improvement in power but I still think things could be improved. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

AIR FILTER ??????????/

New air filter inserted. no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

New air filter inserted. no good.

do you still have the black smoke, ? exhaust valve clearances ?

• Advertisement

low power is main symptom. exhaust valve clearances ?

Advertisement