Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VF5FS - Anyone for games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Anyone for games right now? I know it's late but meh, it's the weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I'd be up for some scrubtastic games on LIVE.

GT: thethomaseffect

if you're also crap or fancy bullying a noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Thomas-G wrote: »
    I'd be up for some scrubtastic games on LIVE.

GT: thethomaseffect

if you're also crap or fancy bullying a noob.

I'll hopefully be online tomorrow evening.

I haven't played in a few months, so I'm not sure which of those two groups I fall into.

I'm on XBL too guys so yeah, we can have some games. My GT is: LeprekaunTM.

GGs Yreval. Sorry for my laggy connection, can only really play at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I am on live also. Have not been playing this game at all as its a ghost town online for good connections.

If anyone wants a few games then add me. My GT = Major Wobbler

Anyone want some games this evening? I'll go online at about 8PM so if interested, let me know. PSN ID: Jun_Chikara. If no PSN folk can go on, I'm also on XBL. My GT is: LeprekaunTM

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wasn't even home.

Anyone for games this evening?

Anyone for games today?

• Advertisement

Mightn't be home.

Also, Dark Souls.

Anyone for games later today? Like 6-7 PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Anyone for more games tonight?

Nope, but that money match is still on offer if you feel like you're up to the challenge.

I don't gamble and I'm not in Ireland, I don't fancy paying €50 every time I go down to Dublin but when I'm back, I'll play you offline eventually. My play is legit. Stop being salty, it's really showing now.

I don't gamble and I'm not in Ireland, I don't fancy paying €50 every time I go down to Dublin but when I'm back, I'll play you offline eventually. My play is legit. Stop being salty, it's really showing now.

You're free.

Edit: 3-0 to eating flash kicks is not legit, whoever has told you otherwise is equally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

tumblr_miy9wo7YqY1s6q1oro1_500.gif

It's only gambling if you want to admit you're only winning by luck...
    :pac::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I was watching some of the SEGA Cup last night.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/apr/20/sega-cup-livestream-virtua-fighter-5-tournament-featuring-justin-wongs-virtua-fighter-debut/

No real idea what's going on, but it was nice to see high-level play with English commentary.

All I really learned is that Japanese Shuns drink everyone's milkshake.

Anyone for games tonight, bar the salty Kuro-Tao?

I'm not around all week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

I might try to get on tonight, though I haven't played VF in an age. Won't get back from work until about 1:30-2 a.m., if you're up that late.

Cool Chris :). Yeah, I usually play around that time myself so it's perfectly fine. When I see you go online, I'll send you an invite for room match.

I only get salty when I lose to lag or frauds.
    In your case, both.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Fight! Fight! Fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Fight! Fight! Fight!

Baa Fight! Baa Fight! Baa Fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    In your case, both.
    I don't understand why people get upset about online games. If it was laggy, why are you getting pissed off at the player? Gotta rep the e-peen. :confused:

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    In your case, both.

Come up with whatever excuse you like. I've played and beaten some of VFDC's (virtuafighter.com) finest so STFU before calling me a fraud. I don't think I'm the best at VF but I certainly know that I'm no fraud. Besides, do you even know what a "fraud" is? I have 1 PS3 so I don't know how I could "rank myself up" unless I had 2 PS3s. I beat you because you don't know how to play VF, it's simple as that. When you know the VF system and know Akira's weaknesses, come play me, until then, go read up the wiki on VFDC and study the matchup. I'm done with your troll talk so say whatever you like, I'm not wasting any more time with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

jMtZv.gif

Hm, needs more salt

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Chris IWS wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get upset about online games. If it was laggy, why are you getting pissed off at the player? Gotta rep the e-peen. :confused:

Jun's connection is laggy. It can't be any other way and he's said as much in the past. The problem is always at his end because of where he is and the distance it is away from the exchange.

In online the worst quality connection benefits from the netcode - an arbitrary delay has to be added which can momentarily be effective for up to 7 or 8 frames of disadvantage to the host player. In a partiularly bad game (not against Jun) I once saw a throw beat a punch, it looked bizarre, and should have been impossible. I apologised to the guy after it happened, bad way to lose a round.

In a game like this, you play someone with an awful connection, thanks to the buffer system and the input delay, you can find yourself briefly in a situation where your block doesn't work. Worst of all is what I've seen when I've had advantage, inputted a move, watched as it didn't execute, blocked the start of a string against me, then the move I inputted comes out wildly out of sequence. Fun times being both defenseless and counter-hit.

Worse still even though I've watched that happen because guard clears the buffer it probably can't have happened. Except it did.

Cherry on top is when the guy with the bad connection spouts off holier than thou when people get salty about it, like his connection somehow isn't his responsibility, like it's fun when abare that would fail offline is a bankable strategy.

Truth is no one, not even Jun, can tell how effective Jun is by how he plays online because it's not a consistent experience.

If Kuro is salty all that should mean is that he doesn't play Jun online - and that's his call to make. I won't play the guy for the reasons above, I never play anyone if I know they've a bad connection to me. It's not personal, it's general, and in general I think if someone plays online with a weak connection they have no right to demand any respect because parity clearly isn't a concern for them.

But this isn't a game to get salty about, frustrating as it can be. VF is a joke when it comes down to how active its number of players is. Competitive spirit is one thing, but it wouldn't be an issue if there were enough opponents for them to forget about each other.

• Advertisement

raze wrote: »
    Jun's connection is laggy. It can't be any other way and he's said as much in the past. The problem is always at his end because of where he is and the distance it is away from the exchange.

First of all, my connection is FINE against Kuro-Tao. I get at least 2 bars most times I play him so I would not define that as laggy. Most of my matches against Kuro-Tao (including our most recent encounter) were when I'm in Egypt, where I have a proper wired DSL connection that has excellent ping, 2Mbps DL and 512Kbps UL, more than enough to play online. If VF or PSN (which VFDC members will gladly confirm) gets laggy, it's nothing to do with my end.
    In online the worst quality connection benefits from the netcode - an arbitrary delay has to be added which can momentarily be effective for up to 7 or 8 frames of disadvantage to the host player. In a partiularly bad game (not against Jun) I once saw a throw beat a punch, it looked bizarre, and should have been impossible. I apologised to the guy after it happened, bad way to lose a round.

My play is simple. If you pay attention to how I play, I can be beaten and when I play against a top VF player, they expose my play and destroy me. I have a certain law in my offense and if that law is exposed, I can be beaten. For example, if I do P then Knee (both are guarded), technically, my knee can be considered a 15f move because the P before it gave me +2 on advantage for the knee so if you go for a mid that is more than 15f, I'll most likely beat it with my knee because of that advantage. When my knee is blocked, I'm at -13f disadvantage. This means that if you can find a move that is 13f or less and I chose to go for, let's say, dashing elbow, I will eat a yellow counter but if you choose to go for a move that's more than 13f, my elbow will connect, it's simple as that. All it takes to interrupt my offense is a standing P or a timed 2P, that's it... With Kuro-Tao, I assume he was going for mids between my moves and Jacky has no 13f mids so it definitely won't interrupt my offense.

Cherry on top is when the guy with the bad connection spouts off holier than thou when people get salty about it, like his connection somehow isn't his responsibility, like it's fun when abare that would fail offline is a bankable strategy.

All I can say is that I back up my statement on VFDC. If Kuro Tao is going to be all disrespectful instead of saying "gg" or whatever, I won't play him. I see games as a form of sport. This isn't exactly the method of good sportsmanship. If he shows disrespect, it's simple, I won't respect him.

Aside from that, I don't think it was a very good idea to bring in the VFDC post because all that does is feed the flames but it doesn't matter, like I said, I have nothing else to say to Kuro-Tao.
    If Kuro is salty all that should mean is that he doesn't play Jun online - and that's his call to make. I won't play the guy for the reasons above, I never play anyone if I know they've a bad connection to me. It's not personal, it's general, and in general I think if someone plays online with a weak connection they have no right to demand any respect because parity clearly isn't a concern for them.

If I play someone and I win/lose through a wall of lag, I immediately send a message to the other player apologising for it. My circumstances in Ireland aren't perfect so when people b*tch and moan about me having a laggy connection, I'm sorry that I can't live in the city and get super-fast broadband. My connection is intermittent, sometimes it's pretty good and sometimes it can be bad. If I didn't play online, VF would simply die for me and out of all FGs, VF is the game I enjoy most so pardon me for having a few games. There is no offline Irish VF scene like there is in Norcal or Socal or Tokyo. I think there are only 4-5 people who play VF and that hardly is a tournament worthy number so the next best thing is to just to find online matches, whether the players be in France, Germany, Italy etc. or on the other side of the pond in the US. And the whole coming to Dublin thing, well, I don't exactly have €50 to spend every weekend to go play some casuals/tournaments, it's simply not feasible. I hate the lag but there is nothing else because there is no VF community.

Advertisement