Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining my chances of promotion

Options
  • 23-03-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to find a new job for the past few months but there is very little out there for my qualifications. I nearly had two positions but they both fell through at the last minute. So I figured I was going to have to stay put where I am for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of our rights that my current company are ignoring, so I had a few words with some of my colleagues and we've been very vocal about the changes we want. Last week I found out that there is going to be a couple of promotions coming up. Have I ruined any chance of getting one by not keeping my mouth shut? I am very good at my job, but I can't help thinking that the people who have kept their mouths shut will probably get the promotions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I did literally that same exact thing. I helped kick up a fuss that we kept having money been taking from our wages every week for lunch months after the canteen had closed. We were on the verge of striking over it.

About 2 weeks after it was all settled a managment position became available, one that was been promised to me for months and months beforehand. Some girl was offered it. When I asked why she got it I was told even though she wasnt ideal for the job, she has tact and understood that there is a time and a place for everything. Something that apparantly I couldnt grasp.

Another one of lifes little lessons learned the hard way :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly? Likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have to agree with the other replies here and say that yes, anyone who rocks the boat or fights a cause is likely to have "marked" put under their name and any future raises, promotions or opportunities will be denied to them, even despite plausible explanations given. I know thats really unfair and I still admire anyone with the backbone to stand up for worker rights etc but its a fact of working life that those who kiss up and give up their voice usually get very far.

I learned this the hard way, I stood up for myself in a very vocal way to two managers and a co worker over the course of my career and because of this I was denied two promotions, training opportunities and was the last person called for overtime. When I queried all of this, I kept getting the official company line, when in fact it was quite obvious they disliked me and didnt want me getting anywhere. A hard lesson but in retrospect do I regret standing up for my beliefs. Believe it or not, I dont. Its worth the loss if you can stay true to yourself, to a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I agree, those that agitate or don't know how to play the game are overlooked for promotion. You may have burned your bridges where you are, and if you are ambitious it may be wise to continue looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

The replies are pretty on the money here.

Particularly if it is a multinational.

"Organisational Savvy" is what the required skill is often called, this is not about keeping your mouth shut, it is about knowing how to go about achieving what you need to do within the written and unwritten rules of an organisation. It is an essential skill in getting on , particularly on a manager career track.

• Advertisement
Advertisement