Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Mini Mux RTÉ1 & TG4 picture quality

Options
  • 10-03-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Is it me or is the SD picture quality for RTÉ1 and TG4 on the NIMM (Brougher Mountain in my case) a good bit better than the equivalent on Saorview? It's particularly noticeable on solid, on-screen graphics (not the channel DOGs) on the likes of scoreboards for sports coverage or the banners used for Nuacht TG4, Morning Ireland etc.where the contrast of foreground and background colours show a good difference in sharpness compared to the same channel on Saorview which is noticeably softer & blurry in comparison.

I don't have a DVB-T2 USB tuner to properly analyse it, but it seems to me all three video streams on the NIMM, including RTÉ2 in SD, are broadcast in full D1 resolution (720/704 x 576 pixels) compared to RTÉ1 and TG4 being 544 x 576 on Saorview.

Seems to me that other than for programme rights blocking, northerners watching RTÉ1 or TG4 on the NIMM are getting a better picture to watch compared to southerners through Saorview. Certainly if I'm watching a programme on either channel I now prefer to watch via the NIMM mux rather than Saorview. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

RTE2 though is obviously superior on Saorview due to HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

BTW are the usual teletext services available on RTE1, 2 and TG4 on the NI mini-mux (NIMM)??

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Antenna wrote: »
    BTW are the usual teletext services available on RTE1, 2 and TG4 on the NI mini-mux (NIMM)??
    No old style Aertel or new MHEG-5 digital text on NIMM platform

Souriau wrote: »

Interestingly no digital text either on any HD channels in NI on Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Are you using a freeview HD certified box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Yep, only on the Sky NI service.

Analogue text is also still carried on TV3, 3e, and TG4 on Saorview.

A digital text service is available on RTE 1, RTE 2, and RTE News Now.

I have Freeview certified PVR, Humax HDR-Fox T2.
    Digital text does work on BBC channels and Sky Text on 206 but not on TG4/RTE on channel 51, 52 or 53 via NIMM

Sky 206

?????????

RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, and TG4 are on Sky channels 161,162,and 163 respectively on a Sky HD box. RTE 2 (SD) is on 227. Analogue text is avalable through all these channels, but only via a scart connection. It wont work using an HDMI port.

The old standard Sky SD boxes have RTE 2 on 162 with RTE 2 HD on 227, though the HD service is unavailable.

There is no digital text on the Sky NI service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    ?????????

206 is the LCN for Sky text on Freeview.

?????????

RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, and TG4 are on Sky channels 161,162,and 163 respectively on a Sky HD box. RTE 2 (SD) is on 227. Analogue text is avalable through all these channels, but only via a scart connection. It wont work using an HDMI port.

The old standard Sky SD boxes have RTE 2 on 162 with RTE 2 HD on 227, though the HD service is unavailable.

There is no digital text on the Sky NI service.
    We are talking about Freeview NIMM via terrestrial not satellite transmission of RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Yep, only on the Sky NI service.

Analogue text is also still carried on TV3, 3e, and TG4 on Saorview.

A digital text service is available on RTE 1, RTE 2, and RTE News Now.

W S teletext (what you wrongly refer to as analogue teletext as all teletext is digital) cannot be decoded on most Freeview HD boxes. One exception is the Icecrypt box and it would be interesting if anyone has one to check for WST on the NI minimux.

We are talking about Freeview NIMM via terrestrial not satellite transmission of RTE

Yep, I know.

However, analogue text from RTE was mentioned. This is only avalable via digital satellite and not on Saorview or the NIMM.

The oonly analogue text service currently available on Saorview is on TG4, TV3, and 3e.

Is it me or is the SD picture quality for RTÉ1 and TG4 on the NIMM (Brougher Mountain in my case) a good bit better than the equivalent on Saorview? It's particularly noticeable on solid, on-screen graphics (not the channel DOGs) on the likes of scoreboards for sports coverage or the banners used for Nuacht TG4, Morning Ireland etc.where the contrast of foreground and background colours show a good difference in sharpness compared to the same channel on Saorview which is noticeably softer & blurry in comparison.

I don't have a DVB-T2 USB tuner to properly analyse it, but it seems to me all three video streams on the NIMM, including RTÉ2 in SD, are broadcast in full D1 resolution (720/704 x 576 pixels) compared to RTÉ1 and TG4 being 544 x 576 on Saorview.

Seems to me that other than for programme rights blocking, northerners watching RTÉ1 or TG4 on the NIMM are getting a better picture to watch compared to southerners through Saorview. Certainly if I'm watching a programme on either channel I now prefer to watch via the NIMM mux rather than Saorview. :confused:

I checked this last night

Freeview NIMM DVB-T2 platform
    RTE1, RTE2 & TG4 are 720x576

Saorview DVB-T platform
    RTE1, TV3 & TG4 are 544x576
    RTE2 HD is 1440x1080

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

The NImm doesn't seem to carry any MHEG data (i.e. no Aertel V2.0) and while I don't know about WST, it would seem pretty pointless to do so when it isn't part of the Freeview HD spec.

NIMM doesn't transmitt Digital text or EBU or WST for RTE & TG4, the only data is being transmitted is subtitles.

On RTE1 via NIMM I see this
    Stream 0 = Video 720x576, H264 MPEG-4 AVC part 10
    Stream 1 = Audio layer 1,2,3, mpga, 48000 Hz, 192kb/s
    Stream 2 = Subtitles DVB

On RTE1 via Saorview I see this
    Stream 0 = Video 544x576, H264 MPEG-4 AVC part 10
    Stream 2 = Audio layer 1,2,3, mpga, Nar
    Stream 3 = Subtitles teletext

On TV3 via Saorview
    Stream 0 = Video 544x576, H264 MPEG-4 AVC part 10
    Stream 2 = Audio layer 1,2,3, mpga, Nar
    Stream 3 = Teletext
    Stream 4 = Subtitles teletext

It's a bit ridiculous that the RTE One and TG4 picture quality in NI is better than in the south. I know there's no space to expand on Mux 1 but I'd be hoping that RTENL change the resolution of the SD channels when Mux 2 starts.

Karsini wrote: »
    It's a bit ridiculous that the RTE One and TG4 picture quality in NI is better than in the south. I know there's no space to expand on Mux 1 but I'd be hoping that RTENL change the resolution of the SD channels when Mux 2 starts.

Totally agree. Only short term answer for you might be a massive high gain aerial pointed to Black Mountain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Has anyone enquired as to why RTE has no teletext service on the NIMM? Surely lack of capacity on the MUX is not an issue?!

Antenna wrote: »
    Has anyone enquired as to why RTE has no teletext service on the NIMM? Surely lack of capacity on the MUX is not an issue?!

Interestingly no teletext service either on BBC1HD/BBC2HD here in NI via DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

Is that because they'd have to carry separate data channel on the HD mux too?

The HD multiplex seems to operate differently from the other 6 SD ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

Is there any reason why Radio na Gaeltacht is the only radio service on the NIMM. Surely RTE Radio 1 at the very least should also be on offer ? Particularly in the light of the closure of the Longwave service which was the only terrestrial platform they could be heard on in half of Co Antrim.

Advertisement