Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry County Council: what is it good for?

Options
  • 20-02-2013 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

This week Kerry County Council debated same-sex marriage and abortion, neither of which is a local authority function.

Last month they made the county a laughing stock with their proposal for driving permits in rural areas. All those Kerryman jokes were given the kiss of life.

Other councils concentrate on basic topics like roads, water, etc. Is Kerry so perfect that councillors can ignore them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This week Kerry County Council debated same-sex marriage and abortion, neither of which is a local authority function.

Last month they made the county a laughing stock with their proposal for driving permits in rural areas. All those Kerryman jokes were given the kiss of life.

Other councils concentrate on basic topics like roads, water, etc. Is Kerry so perfect that councillors can ignore them?

Some KCC councillors think they're on a par with world leaders, so can discuss matters of all descriptions. We should all bow down to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Have you put the question directly to them? Ask them to clarify why it is they are actually there? Have you raised any of your concerns or issues with them re:local council basic topics?

How were your questions and concerns addressed Bichon Lover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Have you put the question directly to them? Ask them to clarify why it is they are actually there? Have you raised any of your concerns or issues with them re:local council basic topics?

How were your questions and concerns addressed Bichon Lover?
    They are on boards, but they just ignore any questions put to them directly.

Interesting.

Surely they speak and address the issues of some people and not ignore everyone and their questions / issues / concerns :confused:

Interesting.

Surely they speak and address the issues of some people and not ignore everyone and their questions / issues / concerns :confused:
    Their profile his here.
    They seem to pop up every now and again but never have engaged in any sort of meaningful discussion with boards users (recent car tax on the Tralee thread for example).
    The council surely have more pressing issues to be dealing with, rather than these mickey mouse votes every few weeks. Is there any way we can see who voted which way on these motions or will we have to wait months for the minutes of the meeting to come out?

• Advertisement

Their profile his here.
    They seem to pop up every now and again but never have engaged in any sort of meaningful discussion with boards users (recent car tax on the Tralee thread for example).
    The council surely have more pressing issues to be dealing with, rather than these mickey mouse votes every few weeks. Is there any way we can see who voted which way on these motions or will we have to wait months for the minutes of the meeting to come out?

I don't know if that account is verified though so I couldn't be overly-concerned with correspondence from that account on here.

I would like to know though is people are having their concerns and issues ignored IRL; in correspondence via council buildings though.

Surely, the councillors are not just doing what they please and are addressing local issues :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭siblers

On a slight different tangent, I still don't understand why they have 2 men doing manual stop and go signs. Surely investment in portable traffic lights would save them thousands in the long run.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Kerry County Council

Generally we try to answer questions put to us directly.

There isn't someone in front of the screen all the time and I do find that many of the questions are answered by other posters before I get to them.

Sure, if we were online all the time someone would accuse us of wasting our time on 'd'aul interweb' instead of filling potholes!

I don't know if that account is verified though so I couldn't be overly-concerned with correspondence from that account on here.

I would like to know though is people are having their concerns and issues ignored IRL; in correspondence via council buildings though.

Surely, the councillors are not just doing what they please and are addressing local issues :confused:

Yes, people's issues are responded to. Unfortunately quite often the answer they receive is not the answer that they are looking for, which is a completely different thing.

Yes, people's issues are responded to. Unfortunately quite often the answer they receive is not the answer that they are looking for, which is a completely different thing.

Well that is good news that people are actually responded to.

There isn't someone in front of the screen all the time and I do find that many of the questions are answered by other posters before I get to them.

Sure, if we were online all the time someone would accuse us of wasting our time on 'd'aul interweb' instead of filling potholes!
    So maybe you could fill us in on these motions that have been passed recently. What is the purpose of the council voting on matters that are beyond their remit?

• Advertisement

So maybe you could fill us in on these motions that have been passed recently. What is the purpose of the council voting on matters that are beyond their remit?

The Councillors are elected representatives, in that they are elected to represent the views of the people who elected them.

This happens at Council meetings, through debates on issues that are on the agenda, and also through notices of motions that are put down by the Cllrs.

Certain issues that are raised by the Councillors fall outside of the Council remit. These can be as varied as issues relating to poor mobile phone coverage, to social welfare payments, to agricultural payments, to the frequency of flights coming into Kerry Airport.

You will see the replies for these in the Notice of Motion as: 'This a matter for consideration by the members'. In cases like these, if the council passes the motion, the relevant organistion is written to, highlighting the debate and the views of the Council and asking for a response (if necessary).

So while issues and motions like these are not within the remit of the Council, they do have an impact on the lives of people in Kerry. As such the councillors are expressing the views of their electorate through their motions and are looking to have the view/feelings of the local authority communicated to the relevant body (Govt Department/Ryanair/Vodafone etc).

Obviously, issues which are of concern and within the Council's remit are also debated.

The agenda and replies to the notices of motions are attached. Please note that Motions No. 26 was reworded at the meeting to read:

“That this chamber acknowledges the right to life of the unborn with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother and opposes any measures that do not uphold this view”

It was passed unanimously.

The Councillors are elected representatives, in that they are elected to represent the views of the people who elected them.

This happens at Council meetings, through debates on issues that are on the agenda, and also through notices of motions that are put down by the Cllrs.

Certain issues that are raised by the Councillors fall outside of the Council remit. These can be as varied as issues relating to poor mobile phone coverage, to social welfare payments, to agricultural payments, to the frequency of flights coming into Kerry Airport.

You will see the replies for these in the Notice of Motion as: 'This a matter for consideration by the members'. In cases like these, if the council passes the motion, the relevant organistion is written to, highlighting the debate and the views of the Council and asking for a response (if necessary).

So while issues and motions like these are not within the remit of the Council, they do have an impact on the lives of people in Kerry. As such the councillors are expressing the views of their electorate through their motions and are looking to have the view/feelings of the local authority communicated to the relevant body (Govt Department/Ryanair/Vodafone etc).

Obviously, issues which are of concern and within the Council's remit are also debated.

The agenda and replies to the notices of motions are attached. Please note that Motions No. 26 was reworded at the meeting to read:

“That this chamber acknowledges the right to life of the unborn with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother and opposes any measures that do not uphold this view”

It was passed unanimously.

Firstly, thank you for getting back to me. I'm just becoming a cynical with old age. And secondly thanks for posting this. It is frustrating to see the press that certain motions get, when its clear (from these documents) that there is a lot more positive work being done that doesn't get a single inch of news print.

Are these documents available on the KCC website?

Firstly, thank you for getting back to me. I'm just becoming a cynical with old age. And secondly thanks for posting this. It is frustrating to see the press that certain motions get, when its clear (from these documents) that there is a lot more positive work being done that doesn't get a single inch of news print.

Are these documents available on the KCC website?

Thanks for the positive comments. They're appreciated by all.

In relation to minutes and agendae they're available at:

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/councilmeetings/

As you can see we've up until November 2012 up, but are currently putting the rest up.

Normally the agendae are put up before the meetings and the minutes as soon as they're approved, but we've been having some gremlins.

I'll try and put up the agenda for forthcoming meetings here for info.

Hi there,

Would you perhaps have an answer for this? :)

Thanks in advance,

Hi there,

Would you perhaps have an answer for this? :)

Thanks in advance,

Agreements are in place with Bitbuzz. We would expect to have it up and running in the next few weeks.

Agreements are in place with Bitbuzz. We would expect to have it up and running in the next few weeks.

Will you get someone out there promoting this please? It's massive news for the town like!

Will you get someone out there promoting this please? It's massive news for the town like!

Closer to the date we will. We want to do some testing etc and make sure its up and running properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

When are the Council going to do something about the near death experiences I am getting every time I leave the estate in Cahersalee in Tralee? I'm sick to the teeth of people parking in front of the hairdressers and butchers blocking my view.
    Why aren't there double yellow lines or possibly traffic lights?(it seems to work without major delay near the Burger Shack).
    I would imagine this is more important than gay marriage, abortion or whatever attention seeking crap they are thinking up next whilst people are getting killed on the roads around town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

When are the Council going to do something about the near death experiences I am getting every time I leave the estate in Cahersalee in Tralee? I'm sick to the teeth of people parking in front of the hairdressers and butchers blocking my view.
    Why aren't there double yellow lines or possibly traffic lights?(it seems to work without major delay near the Burger Shack).
    I would imagine this is more important than gay marriage, abortion or whatever attention seeking crap they are thinking up next whilst people are getting killed on the roads around town.

the problem is, that even with double yellow lines, yellow boxes etc, there are so many drivers who haven't a clue what they mean, and continue to park illegally & stop in the yellow boxes!
    There was finally a yellow box put at the entrance to Slatt's carpark, across from the train station, but it makes no difference...people still continue to block the entrance/exit by stopping right inside the box & people trying to get in & out of the carpark can't! Its infuriating!

One other thing I've asked the council if they could do, is to put a feeder light on the junction turning right from Edward St. to John Joe Sheehy road. You can't turn right as there is so much traffic from the Clounalour side, and the light turns red by the time you get a chance! Please KCC get this light sorted, there is a feeder light on all the other sides!

Also, when is the dangerous junction up Strand Street with the so-called 'roundabout' being sorted out? A man was killed there over a year ago, and it is still not changed! Its so dangerous, no one knows who has the right of way!! Plus that stupid 'roundabout' at the end of Castle street is ridiculous as it isn't even centred properly! I don't even go around it if I am turning right, I just turn as do most people!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    the problem is, that even with double yellow lines, yellow boxes etc, there are so many drivers who haven't a clue what they mean, and continue to park illegally & stop in the yellow boxes!
    There was finally a yellow box put at the entrance to Slatt's carpark, across from the train station, but it makes no difference...people still continue to block the entrance/exit by stopping right inside the box & people trying to get in & out of the carpark can't! Its infuriating!

One other thing I've asked the council if they could do, is to put a feeder light on the junction turning right from Edward St. to John Joe Sheehy road. You can't turn right as there is so much traffic from the Clounalour side, and the light turns red by the time you get a chance! Please KCC get this light sorted, there is a feeder light on all the other sides!

Also, when is the dangerous junction up Strand Street with the so-called 'roundabout' being sorted out? A man was killed there over a year ago, and it is still not changed! Its so dangerous, no one knows who has the right of way!! Plus that stupid 'roundabout' at the end of Castle street is ridiculous as it isn't even centred properly! I don't even go around it if I am turning right, I just turn as do most people!

"Kerry County Council" hasn't much to say on this. I suppose its hard to sit on the fence when it comes to such issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Public input to the town transport strategy is currently been evaluated, hopefully you have made your suggestion to that, I am not 100% but there may be another opportunity for input before it is formally adopted [maybe kcc can advise ?]

The council proposal for that junction seem to push the lights well back, not too sure how that would work in reality, or maybe it is just a mistake on the drawing.

243683.png

I was only thinking about that poor man last week when I saw the council putting up all the safety features along that path by the big river.
    A man gets killed by that roundabout and a year and a half later nothing has been done to address the issue. A dog drowns in the river and the council are on site to make sure it doesn't happen again within a fortnight.

Not to belittle the death of the dog either, I had the pleasure of making her acquaintance, but it does make you wonder where priorities lie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I didn't hear about a dog drowning, when & where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I didn't hear about a dog drowning, when & where was that?

I think it was on Sky News, it was on for hours.:(

"Kerry County Council" hasn't much to say on this. I suppose its hard to sit on the fence when it comes to such issues.

Nope. Just away from my computer doing other parts of my job:).

As KingDumb has pointed out a number of the issues raised (in fact all of them) are highlighted in the Tralee Transportation Strategy. Hopefully you all had a chance to have a look at it during the Public Consultation period. There was a pretty good debate here on Board in relation to parts of it.

The submissions, of which there were many, are being gone through at the moment and will be put before the elected members when finalised.

If you look at the attached image, there are proposals for the junction into the estate at Caherslee, which include 'build-outs' to prevent parking close to the junction to improve sight-lines for exiting. And traffic lights!

The main issue with Edward JJ Sheehy Road is that the road is tight and there is difficulty in putting a right turning lane there. It is proposed under the Strategy, but it is tight. Up to now the preference has been for traffic to go up Castle Street to join John Joe Sheehy road at Austin Stack Park.

As for Castle Street, space is the issue. You're putting something into an existing streetscape, so you're working with the space you have.

As KingDumb has pointed out a number of the issues raised (in fact all of them) are highlighted in the Tralee Transportation Strategy. Hopefully you all had a chance to have a look at it during the Public Consultation period. There was a pretty good debate here on Board in relation to parts of it.

The submissions, of which there were many, are being gone through at the moment and will be put before the elected members when finalised.

If you look at the attached image, there are proposals for the junction into the estate at Caherslee, which include 'build-outs' to prevent parking close to the junction to improve sight-lines for exiting. And traffic lights!

The main issue with Edward JJ Sheehy Road is that the road is tight and there is difficulty in putting a right turning lane there. It is proposed under the Strategy, but it is tight. Up to now the preference has been for traffic to go up Castle Street to join John Joe Sheehy road at Austin Stack Park.

As for Castle Street, space is the issue. You're putting something into an existing streetscape, so you're working with the space you have.

There is a right turning lane in Edward st turning onto JJ Sheehy road already!? It doesn't have a feeder light there, the other 3 sets do!

I wont hold my breath

Thanks for the positive comments. They're appreciated by all.

In relation to minutes and agendae they're available at:

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/councilmeetings/

As you can see we've up until November 2012 up, but are currently putting the rest up.

Normally the agendae are put up before the meetings and the minutes as soon as they're approved, but we've been having some gremlins.

I'll try and put up the agenda for forthcoming meetings here for info.

Council Meeting Agenda and Minutes for March 2013 meeting today.

Is there a reason why your council workers had to grit most of our shopfront in Boherbee this morning?? They carelessly threw the grit up against our shop, which hasn't been painted long! We tried cleaning it off, but it has managed to stick so hard in places it has now removed paint!
    Thanks for that, great to see how your workers take so much care of RATE PAYING businesses.
    What doesn't make sense is why they even gritted the paths in Boherbee, as they have NEVER done so before, especially when it was badly needed. Today didn't seem to be needed, yet even then it was thrown in so far against the shop, that the grit made no difference as it wasn't even on the path!
    Thanks again, nice to know the council care so much about other's property!

I've another question:

Tell me, who should I speak with about questions that I have about the Killarney National Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Kerry county council should have it's own sticky thread rather than asking questions all over the forum.

Just said I'd throw it out there.

Advertisement