Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb or Goat brain in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi,
    Where can i get a fresh lamb brain in dublin.I have asked some butcher shops around dublin, but nobody has it.Could someone please help me with the address?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it legal to sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

what the hell would you want one for?. for the love of god please tell me your not going to eat one?:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    what the hell would you want one for?. for the love of god please tell me your not going to eat one?:o

Eating brain is probably the best case scenario if somebody is searching for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

I like eating it then why am i asking?I dont know it is legal or not?

jeez how strange never heard anyone eating that before its not on the usual Irish diet that's all. but hey each to there own i guess:D

• Advertisement

Yummy:o

Trust me it's very yummy and is considered a delicacy.I get frozen brains in some shops exported from outside but not fresh one's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I dont think its legal to sell anything connected to the major nervous system since the CJD outbreak - i.e spinal cord/brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

JustRoss23 - If you have nothing positive or constructive to add to the thread, do not post in it again.

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Have you tried FXB on Moore street ?

They have a pretty wide selection, not sure if they have brain or not.

F.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Have you tried FXB on Moore street ?

They have a pretty wide selection, not sure if they have brain or not.

F.

Will check it out.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Of course it is legal, I doubt there is a market for it anymore. My dad when he was a nipper would have sheep's brain stew or something similar to that. The butchers all sold it. He would also have sheep's head which was boiled in a huge pot.

The definition of what is a 'cheap cut' has changed massively over the 50 or 60 years. Crubeen's are possibly the only one which he would regularly have which you can still get in most average butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

FX Buckley is your best bet.
    Why would it be illegal? They kill the animal for ALL its meat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lounakin wrote: »
    FX Buckley is your best bet.
    Why would it be illegal? They kill the animal for ALL its meat.

It's illegal to sell beef brains, as it's considered a health risk, hence my asking the question ref lamb/goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Stheno wrote: »
    It's illegal to sell beef brains, as it's considered a health risk, hence my asking the question ref lamb/goat.
    Oh yeah I see. Well I'm pretty sure there's a particular standard but it's not illegal as far as I know. Cow's brain is possibly illegal due to mad cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a similar disease in sheep and goats called scrapie, but that is apparently not transmittable to humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Sheeps brain is a pretty common feature on menus in Australia. Not sure about lambs though. FX Buckley would probably be a good bet. Failing that try the butcher in Fallon & Byrne, they have ordered in unusual cuts for me before so they might be able to lay their hands on it for you as it is not likely to be in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Lamb brain on the menu in Indie Dhaba, the new Indian tapas place where Venu used to be in off South Anne Street in Dublin 2. Excellent menu, not what you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

And very tasty they are too. Fry them in breadcrumbs or a light batter and serve with garlic mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Indie Dhaba seems to be closed, unfortunately.
    Anyone knows other places by any chance (Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

XVII wrote: »

Maybe they didn't have the brains to run the operation.

Don't worry I already have my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

XVII wrote: »

That serve or you can buy to cook yourself?

That serve

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I'm 100% certain it's illegal. I've had it before and it's rank. I'll find a link and post it

Please do

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Mad-Cow.org has an article on it

There has been a ba in place for a while now.

can't access the website

• Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Lamb brain, or any brain product is in no way currently banned. There was a ban during the CDJ crisis where any product that could have spinal tissue attached to it, including t-bone steaks, was prohibited for sale. But that ban was lifted some years ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement