Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VU+ Solo Single Tuner DVB-S2 HD 0r a db800sehd clone

Options
  • 09-12-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

which of these is best and why? moving up from a db500s clone. I just want to set it up and leave it.

gbcullen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    which of these is best and why? moving up from a db500s clone. I just want to set it up and leave it.

gbcullen

I had dm800hd and dm800se clones... Sold them and got 2 vu solo clones!

Miles better and way more stable!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

where did you buy the vu solo clones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    I had dm800hd and dm800se clones... Sold them and got 2 vu solo clones!

Miles better and way more stable!
    Is that not a bit of an exaggeration ?
    I have an 800HD and with a good image its rock solid ,it does everything a Vu+ Solo can do .
    I think there is a bit of a fanboy element with the Vu+ receivers myself,I had a Solo for a while and didnt think it was better than the 800HD.
    The 800HD supports an internal HDD too ,something the Solo doesnt.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Is that not a bit of an exaggeration ?
    I have an 800HD and with a good image its rock solid ,it does everything a Vu+ Solo can do .
    I think there is a bit of a fanboy element with the Vu+ receivers myself,I had a Solo for a while and didnt think it was better than the 800HD.
    The 800HD supports an internal HDD too ,something the Solo doesnt.

I found the 800hd to be far too easy to heat up even with an external fan

The internal fan was far too noisy

Processor is very slow compared to the vu+

Yup 800 can take an internal hard drive but an external works fine on the solo...

Everyone has there opinion though!

I got one of the solos from china, the other from satboxes

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

well i have a vu+ solo clone and i have to say that i am very impressed indeed.
    i too got my box from satboxes excellent service on the site and nextday delivery
    i cant say a bad word about it

niall_b73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭irishchris

had both original dm800hd and VU+ Solo HD and have to say there is no contest it definitely has to be the vu solo. ps if you are after one i have one for sale in adverts.ie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

VU+ Uno now available for €175 delivered. Clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

STB wrote: »
    VU+ Uno now available for €175 delivered. Clone.

Any link to this please?

go to satboxes com, sorry thats the solo. and i would like a link for uno as well

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

go to satboxes com, sorry thats the solo. and i would like a link for uno as well

Does the solo have wifi built in like the dm800hd SE ?

• Advertisement

no, you would need a usb wi fi stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I own the Dreambox 800HD Clone, 800HDse Clone and Vu+Solo. I would rate them in this order:

1. Dreambox 800HDse
    2. Vu+ Solo
    3. Dreambox 800hd

The 800hdse is a powerful machine. Much faster at booting etc than other two.

If you decide to purchase a clone VU+SOLO, make sure its the ferrari version, not the chinese clone of a clone version.

Origional VU Solo here for Eur218.90 incl Delivery:

http://www.satshop.tv/VU-Solo

rco2000 wrote: »
    Any link to this please?

Sure >Mixeshop

ok will go for the db800se hd but how do I know which variant is the most recent ie what sim am I looking for and where to buy?

gbc

ok will go for the db800se hd but how do I know which variant is the most recent ie what sim am I looking for and where to buy?

gbc

Here:

http://www.mixeshop.com/800sem-version-800se-801a-m-tunner-with-software-bl84-gemi51_p1076.html

Or with Saorview builtin:

http://www.mixeshop.com/sr4-sunray4-dm800-se-sr4-triple-tunner-with-wifi-sct-in-one-all-working-now_p776.html

Allow for custums. Probably around €30

thank you, can I take it the sunray is identical to the db800se hd ie just read what goes on the db 800 se hd and put it on the sunray. I like the idea of soarview as well and a good price. I am poised to add to basket ..

thank you, can I take it the sunray is identical to the db800se hd ie just read what goes on the db 800 se hd and put it on the sunray. I like the idea of soarview as well and a good price. ..

Yes, The sunray i linked to is the same as DB800hdSE, except tuner in it is a 3 in one tuner. Sat/DTT/Cable.

Hopefully someday they make a SAT/SAT/dtt tuner for it.

I have read several reviews of the SE's with the DVB-T/C tuner (SR4's) which are not good in terms of the tuner sensitivity.

If you wait I will post up a review and pics of the Uno as I have one ordered from them, being a STB junkie myself.

No matter what you order from that site, make sure its in $ as their own exchange rates in £ and € are dearer.

I do not want to confuse the issue.But if you decide to go with the VU Uno do not buy it from mixeshop. They sell the Chinese Clone of a Clone. You will run into problems with updating images.

Nextbay sell the "Proper Clones" with patch lead included for updating images.

http://www.nextbay.biz/vu-uno-hd-stock-on-sale_p90.html?zenid=a83r8ojmi5tpdc6ikgkv7nvr23

At this price range its hard to ignore the Gigablue 800hd with Sat/DTT tuners. Not a clone and is VIX compatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭Zardoz

givecredit wrote: »
    I do not want to confuse the issue.But if you decide to go with the VU Uno do not buy it from mixeshop. They sell the Chinese Clone of a Clone. You will run into problems with updating images.
    I think Mixeshop's reputation is dropping.I have read reports of them sending out returned (faulty) Vu receivers to people .

• Advertisement

So have set up the VU+Uno special Hong Kong Version.

Added a cheap DVB-T stick based on the Alpha 9135 Chipset. The stick looks and comes like this and are available on ebay for about €9 incl postage.

440046281_238.jpg

A few screen shots of the Uno running Blackhole 1.72 (1.75 preloaded but not stable/Vix 2.45 useless/Other images crap).

Combined 7 day EPG for Satellite and Terrestrial and running Auto Bouquet Updater so no transponder updating required. Needless to say its backed up now!

€183 including DVB-T stick all in.

EPG Combined
    234280.jpg

OSD
    234281.jpg

EPG Single Summary
    234282.jpg

STB wrote: »
    So have set up the VU+Uno special Hong Kong Version.

Added a cheap DVB-T stick based on the Alpha 9135 Chipset. The stick looks and comes like this and are available on ebay for about €9 incl postage.

440046281_238.jpg

A few screen shots of the Uno running Blackhole 1.72 (1.75 preloaded but not stable/Vix 2.45 useless/Other images crap).

Combined 7 day EPG for Satellite and Terrestrial and running Auto Bouquet Updater so no transponder updating required. Needless to say its backed up now!

€183 including DVB-T stick all in.

EPG Combined
    234280.jpg

OSD
    234281.jpg

EPG Single Summary
    234282.jpg

What's the UNO clone like mate??

Have 2 of the solo's

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    What's the UNO clone like mate??

Have 2 of the solo's

Well its fine I suppose but has limitations at the moment. Comes with the HDD cable and patching tools (null modem cable etc) in case you kill it. I haven't done that just yet. I am sure it will happen eventually :)

I'll summarise my experiences so far with it which mainly fall into 2 categories.

Images

Box and remote fine. Having gotten used to smaller HD combo boxes, this box is about the size of the old Ctech 5000c/Technomate 6900 boxes.

One thing that general novices might miss upon setting up the box is the use of FPGA which programs the chip on board. If not updated the tuner will not work.

The one I got was from Mixeshop and came with a V3 sticker on it. This does not mean that it will take Vix 3 images. It doesn't. The Ferrari Dream Elite Software by the way does not work on it. The remote control becomes inoperable. So it is clear that there are different CE versions of the same box.

Image wise it came preloaded with BH1.75. This is not a stable image and short of learning python you are better off going back to BH1.72 which I did. As I have said the latest Vix Images do not work on it, it loads but the tuner is invisible to the box as compatible drivers are simply not there. I tried Vix 2.45 which was the last image before anti-clone measures. I found that Vix version limited in functionality, unstable as has too many green screens to be usable.

There is a glitch in BH 1.72 software where the tuner occasionally forgets its settings (SID not found in PAT) but there is a solution to edit some of the python script to fix same. This may be down to my 8x1 diseqc setup for my 5 lnbs.

Softwarewise fairly easy to use. Satellite transponder data dowloaded from kingofsat using Dreamset and FTPd to the box.

The Uno (Hong Kong Style) is fairly new so the abiility to use other images may improve over time. At present people thinking that because it is V3 means that it takes any of the Vix 3 images will be disappointed. There is a software update pending to circumvent anti cloning measures implemented, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

In the meantime BH 1.72 is perfectly acceptable and does what I want it to do. A single 7 day epg for DVB-T and DVB-S was my main priority.

The DVB-T end

I had noticed a thread on another forum where you had one of the cheap DVB-T sticks working with a Dreambox which is the same as the one I used and is available here and costs €6.84 incl postage.

This took a bit of figuring out. Just had to get the firmware and drivers and load it via filezilla (after much searching). The guys over on the VC BHole forum had figured it out previously. The little aerial is fine and pick up the station fine, but I will add the €2 attachment cable to run to a proper aerial.

Finding my way around E2 so I may ask you a few questions off the thread.

Heres a couple of pics of the main board inside including the tuner module.

234412.jpg

234413.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone know if the vu solo clone boxes on sat boxes.com are the Ferrari ones?

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anyone know if the vu solo clone boxes on sat boxes.com are the Ferrari ones?

If you want the ferrari ones nextbay is the place. I wouldnt buy into that whole Ferrari thing. Certainly I dont have a lot of love for the people over on Ferrari's support forum. They delete stuff they dont want to hear! Not suprisingly they are moderated by the nextbay people!

to just get an update, is it still working and is it any good for subtitles?

to just get an update, is it still working and is it any good for subtitles?

Are you asking me ? Yes it still works. Infact I changed the tuner in it to an original tuner for £20. It now performs like a original box and accepts latest images without faffing about with updating the security chip on the tuner card. I use the latest version of BH - OE2.

I have also changed my mind on the Ferrari people. They certainly know there stuff. Some top crack hackers over there :)

sorry, yes, how is it for subtitles on sat and saorview? and would it be easy for a newbie to set up? including changing the tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I see there is a Dreambox clone which has a triple tuner. Do two of the tuners work for satellite and one for terrestrial?

• Advertisement

have you a link for said box?

Advertisement