Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The scum in this city.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

The problem I see is the lack of "backup" from passers by. I personally have intervened on a few occasions saving young fellas from getting robbed / beatings etc.

We have to stop "letting" these scum do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Mech1 wrote: »
    The problem I see is the lack of "backup" from passers by. I personally have intervened on a few occasions saving young fellas from getting robbed / beatings etc.

Mate of mine did that once, ended up with a knife in his chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

dan1895 wrote: »
    Mate of mine did that once, ended up with a knife in his chest.

So we give up? let them take all, as and when they want?

Yes there is a risk but you gotta grow a set of balls and get on with it. How did this country become a republic if we all where ignoring the needs of our fellow men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

So we give up? let them take all, as and when they want?

Yes there is a risk but you gotta grow a set of balls and get on with it. How did this country become a republic if we all where ignoring the needs of our fellow men.

Personally, I don't think it's worth getting a knife in the chest for a complete stranger. You can post all you like about standing up to these people but in reality it's very complicated and dangerous and probably wouldn't work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hi Tempura OP,

Hope your son has gotten over the beating and his friend is out of hospital

Absolutley terrible that a gang can just beat up 4 lads minding their own business

As with other posters my thinking is the "Parents / Guardians" of these troublemakers the only way is to fine them heavily no point in sending them to jail and make them pay the fines Whether up front or taking from their dole / wages every week I think that if 50€ for example was deducted every week it would be 50€ less they could spend on drink / drugs

Hope the 4 lads are getting over this bad experince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Fair dues to you i have done similar but... it can be dangerous these [EMAIL="f@@kers"]f@@kers[/EMAIL] can pull a knive on you as another poster has said

But i cant stand seeing a youngfella getting bashed on the street by scum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

the last thing those type of parents want is their kids handed to them at 8pm at night to look after

they were brought into this world to gain cash of the government, the actual up bringing and care for them is not high on their list

Tough. Otherwise take away their guardianship, see how they like it to have less on their dole payment

*gets coat and runs with the rabbits, so to speak*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The "Mickey Money" is the largest part of the problem here imho. It is giving people who cannot afford children an incentive to have them anyway. It should be on a sliding scale, the first will get full benefit, the second 50% and an occurence of a violent crime or drug offence will result in removal of the dependents and sterilisation of the parents.
    There are a few generations in this country that are being dragged up by absolute low-life parents with no concept of how a child needs to be nurtured and educated to have a chance of being anything better than the scumbag that bore them.

This just get worse, you think the State should have the power to force sterilise another person. So is this for just possession?

Thankfully nothing like this will ever happen. Talk about simple solutions to complex problems.

Anti social behaviour is a serious problem; but you aren't going to solve it that way. Especially as we have such a great history of looking after children taken from their families in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

ire [ahyuh r]:
    noun - intense anger; wrath.

land [lænd]:
    a. a country, region, or area
    b. the people of a country, etc

I personally haven't met too many of what I would call 'real men' in this country. There are a few, definitely, but more often than not, I am confronted with what I call 'broken robots' - the people (men and women) who will never be enlightened and also sadly, choose to avoid enlightenment for the sake of peer pressure, fear of reprisal or ostracism. They turn into, angry, suspicious, money-grubbing or sick people and live that way until death.
    Manners, respect and responsibility are just not taught by a large part of the population and it shows, generation to generation.

Of course, I know it's a global phenomenon, but by sheer numbers... Ireland sure has some kinda problems.
    I have personally noticed that since coming here in 2007, I have become hardened and I kind of wish that wasn't necessary.

Just remember to teach your boys that there are worlds apart from this and they don't HAVE TO live in Ireland.
    It is a real shame that decent men-in-the-making must become hard in order to deal with life's (or Ireland's) tortures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A few years (maybe 5+) I got "hopped" by 3 fellas one night, got the hiding of a lifetime. It was very much a case of wrong place/wrong time.

At the time I was shocked, terrified and spent a few weeks very much afraid.

Looking back now, I learned from the dreadful experience, I am a lot more aware of my surrounds when I'm out, being careful who may or may not run into. Generally limiting my exposure to the scumbag horde.

I tried to use my awful experience as a building block in the way I go about my business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Odysseus wrote: »
    This just get worse, you think the State should have the power to force sterilise another person. So is this for just possession?

Thankfully nothing like this will ever happen. Talk about simple solutions to complex problems.

Anti social behaviour
    is a serious problem; but you aren't going to solve it that way. Especially as we have such a great history of looking after children taken from their families in this country.

Didn't say that it was for possession, I am actually in favor of decriminalization of quite a few of the currently banned substances, but where a persistent chronic drug abuse problem is in evidence, i.e a long term string of convictions and suspended sentences for possession/possession with intent and associated crimes where a drug habit is cited as a mitigating circumstance then it should definitely be considered.

We're going way beyond anti-social behaviour here, I'm talking about generational social welfare abuse, substance abuse and violent criminality, not people littering or spraying graffiti or random vandalism and intimidation.

I think if the state is going to have to foot the bill for someones total abuse of their reproductive organs, then that should grant them a limited power of control over said organs.
    For people to be allowed sit back and abuse the system that every tax-payer in the country has to foot the bill for without any control of the source of the problem is a ridiculous situation. It indicates a total lack of connection with reality on behalf of those setting social welfare policy.

I am not for a second suggesting that peoples children be taken off them for minor offences, but if a parent is abusive, violent or has a serious substance abuse problem in their own personal life, do you think for a second that they can insulate their offspring from this......Get Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Didn't say that it was for possession, I am actually in favor of decriminalization of quite a few of the currently banned substances, but where a persistent chronic drug abuse problem is in evidence, i.e a long term string of convictions and suspended sentences for possession/possession with intent and associated crimes where a drug habit is cited as a mitigating circumstance then it should definitely be considered.

We're going way beyond anti-social behaviour here, I'm talking about generational social welfare abuse, substance abuse and violent criminality, not people littering or spraying graffiti or random vandalism and intimidation.

I think if the state is going to have to foot the bill for someones total abuse of their reproductive organs, then that should grant them a limited power of control over said organs.
    For people to be allowed sit back and abuse the system that every tax-payer in the country has to foot the bill for without any control of the source of the problem is a ridiculous situation. It indicates a total lack of connection with reality on behalf of those setting social welfare policy.

I am not for a second suggesting that peoples children be taken off them for minor offences, but if a parent is abusive, violent or has a serious substance abuse problem in their own personal life, do you think for a second that they can insulate their offspring from this......Get Real.

It's not only violent behavior or substance abuse alone, there is another serious problem, parents might have, which is ignorance. Turning a blind eye on their offspring's behavior. Some say 'they are only kids', some just don't want to realize, that their kids are harassing other people.
    And for me, children learn by the example, if they don't get cautioned from an early age on, they will never learn to respect others, because their parents did not show them how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

But I am getting real, the State can never have any type of control limited or not over a persons reproductive organs as you say.

You might expand on your opinion in that post, but in the one I quoted you simply state drug offenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

ire [ahyuh r]:
    noun - intense anger; wrath.

land [lænd]:
    a. a country, region, or area
    b. the people of a country, etc

I personally haven't met too many of what I would call 'real men' in this country. There are a few, definitely, but more often than not, I am confronted with what I call 'broken robots' - the people (men and women) who will never be enlightened and also sadly, choose to avoid enlightenment for the sake of peer pressure, fear of reprisal or ostracism. They turn into, angry, suspicious, money-grubbing or sick people and live that way until death.
    Manners, respect and responsibility are just not taught by a large part of the population and it shows, generation to generation.

Of course, I know it's a global phenomenon, but by sheer numbers... Ireland sure has some kinda problems.
    I have personally noticed that since coming here in 2007, I have become hardened and I kind of wish that wasn't necessary.

Just remember to teach your boys that there are worlds apart from this and they don't HAVE TO live in Ireland.
    It is a real shame that decent men-in-the-making must become hard in order to deal with life's (or Ireland's) tortures.

What a load of pseudo-intellectual nonsense. How do you think people in developing countries deal with 'life's tortures'? Roll over and get their bellies tickled until rainbows shoot out of their ears? How do you think young men in even the most-developed countries in the world deal with social issues like immigrant integration and ghettoisation? Society comes with social problems, Dublin has its fair share, but actually, relevant to its size and young population, I'd say it's one of the safest cities in the world. Where would you recommend 'young men' start their new life, out of interest?

griffdaddy wrote: »
    What a load of pseudo-intellectual nonsense. How do you think people in developing countries deal with 'life's tortures'? Roll over and get their bellies tickled until rainbows shoot out of their ears? How do you think young men in even the most-developed countries in the world deal with social issues like immigrant integration and ghettoisation? Society comes with social problems, Dublin has its fair share, but actually, relevant to its size and young population, I'd say it's one of the safest cities in the world. Where would you recommend 'young men' start their new life, out of interest?

Bollocks to you too.

I dont feel safe in this city. I never got attacked in the street in other cities I have lived, but Dublin has proved to be different.

The point is - you shouldn't have to be beaten up in order to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If this thread continues the way its going, it will be locked. If you can't be civil and have an adult discussion, don't bother posting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

had a run in with a little scumbag the other day on wicklow st. having a bad day and he stands in front of me looking for money and i tell him to piss off (I know :o should of stepped around and ignored him) and he fronted up 'what are ye gonna do' etc. Im 6ft 2" and stocky but it didnt matter to this dead eyed hardass and it very nearly came to blows but in the back of my mind I knew that he could pull a knife or syringe and effectively end my life in one fell swoop so I turned around to a barrage of abuse and kept walking as he followed me for a bit. I signed up for a krav maga course an hour later. Never felt unsafe in this city in 18 yrs till now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

sweetie wrote: »
    had a run in with a little scumbag the other day on wicklow st. having a bad day and he stands in front of me looking for money and i tell him to piss off (I know :o should of stepped around and ignored him) and he fronted up 'what are ye gonna do' etc. Im 6ft 2" and stocky but it didnt matter to this dead eyed hardass and it very nearly came to blows but in the back of my mind I knew that he could pull a knife or syringe and effectively end my life in one fell swoop so I turned around to a barrage of abuse and kept walking as he followed me for a bit. I signed up for a krav maga course an hour later. Never felt unsafe in this city in 18 yrs till now.

you would probably be better off signing up to a course which will help you to "step around and ignore"

Bollocks to you too.

I dont feel safe in this city. I never got attacked in the street in other cities I have lived, but Dublin has proved to be different.

The point is - you shouldn't have to be beaten up in order to grow up.

I dunno where you're living but I think you're describing the Projects in New York.

You don't have to be beaten up to grow up in Dublin. It's very easy to keep yourself out of things if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I dunno where you're living but I think you're describing the Projects in New York.

You don't have to be beaten up to grow up in Dublin. It's very easy to keep yourself out of things if you want to.

Yes it is easy, but is it right?

I mean if this is the attitude everybody takes, don't we deserve to live in a **** society?

• Advertisement

I live in Dublin.
    I keep myself out of the city centre after about 9pm.

Waiting for a bus on Suffolk St can be a bit dodgy. I was attacked there once and had clothes ripped, etc before I repelled the guy.

When I came here, I thought people were wearing hoodies because of the cold (yes, how naive).

Wicklow St should not be dangerous (but obviously it's not safer than anywhere else).

Most cities have 'no-go' zones. If you keep away from the bad parts of town, you're fine. Dublin isn't the same. The scum comes to you and they're not always just after your money, they often want a fight as well.

catallus wrote: »
    Yes it is easy, but is it right?

I mean if this is the attitude everybody takes, don't we deserve to live in a **** society?

I'm only looking out for myself and my friends and family. I don't really care what happens to anyone else and tbh I don't think it's any of my business. I'm definitely not gonna stick my oar in when it could potentially get me knifed!

I'm only looking out for myself and my friends and family. I don't really care what happens to anyone else and tbh I don't think it's any of my business. I'm definitely not gonna stick my oar in when it could potentially get me knifed!

And that's fair enough, i get it. But that's not the same thing as turning a blind eye to the mess that some parts of the city are in.

Congratulations. That's the attitude!
    :rolleyes:

It's anyone's right to have that attitude, nobody can criticise anyone for that. I can sympathise with it, but I also feel strongly that we, as citizens, have responsibilities with regard to bad behaviour in the country; if we don't feel we can handle it straight-on then we should at least report it, even if we feel our reports go unheeded.

If you wanna risk getting knifed then be my guest. I'll do me and you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

MarkMc wrote: »
    If this thread continues the way its going, it will be locked. If you can't be civil and have an adult discussion, don't bother posting

Ye were warned.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement