Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cliff walk closed (now reopened)

Options
  • 28-11-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

This from Cllr. Stephen Stokes, posted on Facebook:
    Warning - The Cliff Walk has been closed until further notice by Wicklow County Council. There has been a major slippage in the land. Please share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Do you have a link?

No, he posted it on FB and I think you have to be "friends" with him to see it on his page there: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.stokes.549

If he posts anything else I'll pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Sign at the harbour this morning saying cliff-walk closed. No sign anwhere else all the way up to Windgates.

I think the only issues was some 'slippage' of mud along the stretch between the tracks and the harbour fencing.

No issue that I encountered. Maybe someone else noticed a real reason for closing it further along, which if that we the case, shoud have been sign posted at the Grove crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

No pixbyjohn photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

https://www.facebook.com/GreystonesTC
    Please be aware that following a serious land slippage, the Cliff Walk has been closed until further notice. Please share this post on your pages.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Anyone have any updates on this?...Just had the dogs up the 12 acre field, and must have passed at least 30 people walking from Bray.....curious where this is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, my wife walked from the Bray end yesterday, ignoring the signs, but only walked as far as where the path to Windgates joins and went up onto Bray Head from there, and had no problem, and also saw lot's of people walking from the Greystones end, so I've no idea where this mythical blockage is either. Sounds like WCC being a bit paranoid about H&S to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Sure hasn't that always been closed? I don't think anybody pays attention to the signs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, my wife walked from the Bray end yesterday, ignoring the signs, but only walked as far as where the path to Windgates joins and went up onto Bray Head from there, and had no problem, and also saw lot's of people walking from the Greystones end, so I've no idea where this mythical blockage is either. Sounds like WCC being a bit paranoid about H&S to me.

Well if they are worried about H&S it certainly does not show where the harbour is concerned. They along with Sispar are responsible for their unfinished building site at Greystones Harbour which has many H&S risks.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Well if they are worried about H&S it certainly does not show where the harbour is concerned. They along with Sispar are responsible for their unfinished building site at Greystones Harbour which has many H&S risks.:mad:

Is it an unwritten rules that every thread has to end up moaning about the harbour?

• Advertisement

Is it an unwritten rules that every thread has to end up moaning about the harbour?

My comment was not moaning. I was just pointing out that Wicklow County Council do not seem concerned about the H&S issues at the harbour but are when something happens along the cliff walk.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

hmm... slight cost difference in installing a few signs on the cliff walk, to fixing up the harbour. Anyway, lets not drag this off topic.
    The cliff walk has been closed many times, most of which I couldn't understand as there was no big landslips or danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anyway, lets not drag this off topic.

Good idea

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The cliff walk has been closed many times, most of which I couldn't understand as there was no big landslips or danger.
    Indeed, and it's become a bit of a "cry wolf" situation so that everybody just ignores the signs and walks on anyway.

Does anyone have a picture of this landslide together with it's exact location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Shouldn't the path be renamed through wasteland, along a field, up a bit muck and then a bit of cliff walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

For anyone interested the cliff walk has reopened following work on mini collapse of path. Maybe the thread title could be changed

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Here's two photos I took last week while the path was still officially closed.
    The erosion is at the cliff above the very end of the North Beach.
    Looking down at the beach, the sand seems to have been washed away, leaving just the rocks.
    The angle the waves are coming in at in the photo causes longshore drift, which would formerly have carried the sand to the other end of the north beach, towards the harbour. Then when the wind changed to the southeast, the sand could be moved back up again towards the north end.
    Nowadays that does not seem to be happening. I'm guessing that because the new piers stick out further into the sea, a rip current has been set up, which carries the sediment back out into deeper water, perpendicular to the shoreline. If that is the case, we can expect to see either a new sandbank developing offshore, or else the sand will accumulate further south along the Kilcoole/Newcastle shoreline.

recedite wrote: »
    Here's two photos I took last week while the path was still officially closed.
    The erosion is at the cliff above the very end of the North Beach.
    Looking down at the beach, the sand seems to have been washed away, leaving just the rocks.
    The angle the waves are coming in at in the photo causes longshore drift, which would formerly have carried the sand to the other end of the north beach, towards the harbour. Then when the wind changed to the southeast, the sand could be moved back up again towards the north end.
    Nowadays that does not seem to be happening. I'm guessing that because the new piers stick out further into the sea, a rip current has been set up, which carries the sediment back out into deeper water, perpendicular to the shoreline. If that is the case, we can expect to see either a new sandbank developing offshore, or else the sand will accumulate further south along the Kilcoole/Newcastle shoreline.

The 2 new breakwaters stuck out into the sea at Greystones are now resulting in what is called "Beach Starvation". This impact was pointed out to An Bord Pleanala in a number of submissions at the time of the Oral Hearings. The Greystones North Beach is disappearing at unprecedented levels and this is despite the huge erosion of the glacial cliffs into the sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Recedite, good to have the pics. Blanch is right about 'Beach Starvation', too, given that Sisk placed only 10,000 cubic metres of nourishment out of a promised total of 48,000CM up to end-2011.

They placed an unspecified amount after the big blow and severe erosion last April, but only after public uproar. That is all long gone, of course, and I suspect you are right about exactly where it ends up.

Recedite, could I ask you to put your pics on the Erosion thread also? Your post is perfectly appropriate here, but as the Erosion thread is the continuing one on this issue, they would also be a sound contribution there.

Finally, where exactly did this erosion of the path occur?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

At the north end of the beach; the picture looking down at the sea was taken from a spot close to the actual path landslide.
    I see you have put a link to the pics from the erosion thread, so that will save me from having to upload them again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement