Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setup for Home office, PSTN line but no analog handset

Options
  • 21-11-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I haven't found a recent thread for my question, so I post here for the first time.
    There is so many solutions on the internet, that I am more lost than “educated” now!

I am looking for a Voip phone solution for a home office.

My context is:
    - aDSL broadband 7.6 MPS with Imagine
    - modem Netgear DM111
    - router NetGear WNDR3800
    - PSTN landline with Imagine as well (I am in the countryside so I must keep my landline to avail a good broadband connection).
    - 2 accounts with BlueFace for incoming/outgoing calls
    - 1 account with Poivy for outgoing calls

My actual handset (analog) is dying, so I feel I won't need to replace it with the same kind. I think that a IP phone will be a better investment, and I may find an IP base phone, with 1 or more extension handset (cordless or not) connected to it.

My request is:
    - receiving incoming calls from the landline through any handset
    - receiving incoming calls from the BlueFace account through any handset
    - calling out through BlueFace account from an handset
    - calling out through Poivy account from an handset
    - I prefer wired connections and cables than WiFi

Option:
    - softphone for computer (Mac) – actually using X-Lite 5, but limited to one SIP account, and the paid version seems to be too much featured for my needs
    - routing rules for outgoing calls, depending on destinations, using BlueFace or Poivy

It looked simple at the beginning as a home office setup, but finding a right solution turned to be very difficult. I am computer savvy, but not familiar with the VoIP world. Even the Cisco phone support redirected me to a reseller, who then, for this small investment, are not really interested to reply.

Let me know if you need further details.
    Kind regards,
    Hervé

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Best I can do is to describe what I have here ....

ADSL only available option .... so landline from Eircom.

I make no outgoing calls at all via the landline, although I believe I have some allowance during off peak times.

I have a router which has two FXS ports.
    It also has a comprehensive set of utilities for VOIP built in.
    It can simultaneously register six VOIP accounts.

Each account can be set to ring on one or both lines.
    Different ring patterns are available.

I have one of the FXS lines connected to a desktop phone.
    The other is connected to a DECT phone with a few handsets.

What I do not have, that you require is a sharing of the PSTN line with VOIP on the handsets ..... although a cheap ATA-type switch device would do this.
    I have something similar for use with Skype .... it switches between Skype and whichever other line is connected (PSTN or VOIP).

So beside the sharing of the PSTN with VOIP in the handset my set up is close.
    As calls are never made on the PSTN I have never had a situation where an error has been made when selecting the output type ...... no costly landline calls have been made since this setup was introduced ;)

I suspect if the PSTN was available on the 'dialling out' handsets that the story would be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fbit_colin

Hi Herve

Your going to need to control the call routing. Have a look at http://www.3cx.com

Its a windows based PBX with a free version that isnt difficult to configure and should suit your needs

Also to have your PSTN line available to the 3CX system your going to need one of these or similar

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10027/index.html

Regards
    Colin

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rvbgnu

I have a router which has two FXS ports.
    It also has a comprehensive set of utilities for VOIP built in.
    It can simultaneously register six VOIP accounts.

Each account can be set to ring on one or both lines.
    Different ring patterns are available.
    Thank you Johnboy for your prompt reply! :)

So what I should look for is a router with FXS ports. Is it to connect a analog handset? Well I can have one, but I don't need one (the last working one is dying, keypad out of order...)
    And does your router can handles rules to route outgoing VoIP calls on different providers? And incoming calls to different lines/handset?

I have one of the FXS lines connected to a desktop phone.
    The other is connected to a DECT phone with a few handsets.
    So you don't have an IP phone, or is it the desktop phone? (sorry I am not used to the jargon yet ;)
    What I do not have, that you require is a sharing of the PSTN line with VOIP on the handsets ..... although a cheap ATA-type switch device would do this.
    I have something similar for use with Skype .... it switches between Skype and whichever other line is connected (PSTN or VOIP).
    Yes, I supposed something like Colin mentionned in his message. Can you tell us more about the switch feature with Skype? I use skype sometimes, and maybe it could avoid me to have another softphone on the computer.
    So beside the sharing of the PSTN with VOIP in the handset my set up is close.
    Yes, thank you, it really helps me to understand what I must look for.

By the way, can you tell me what is your router, so I can check and compare the features I need?

fbit_colin wrote: »
    Hi Herve

Your going to need to control the call routing. Have a look at http://www.3cx.com

Its a windows based PBX with a free version that isnt difficult to configure and should suit your needs

Also to have your PSTN line available to the 3CX system your going to need one of these or similar

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10027/index.html

Regards
    Colin
    Hi Colin,

Thank you for your quick reply also.

So I understand that the call routing features will need a piece of software. Unfortunately, no Windows computer here, but I can probably find an equivalent for Mac. I thought that some ATA or gateway will some have basic call routing features built-in. But maybe they are more expensive then?

I saw the voice adapter with router that you mentioned on the BlueFace website, but I am reluctant to buy from them, since I read, in the IP phone description: All hardware purchased through Blueface is configured to work with Blueface only and cannot be configured to another provider or setup.
    Otherwise I would have ask them what to buy, and I would have trust them and buy from them...

Anyway, any suggestion regarding IP phones? What kind of features should I look for? Maybe some handsets will be like a base phone, with routing rules, and to which I can connect simple IP phone model (I am thinking like the DECT sets, with a base and a few handsets).

Kind regards,
    Hervé

rvbgnu wrote: »
    Thank you Johnboy for your prompt reply! :)

So what I should look for is a router with FXS ports. Is it to connect a analog handset? Well I can have one, but I don't need one (the last working one is dying, keypad out of order...)
    And does your router can handles rules to route outgoing VoIP calls on different providers? And incoming calls to different lines/handset?

Yes it uses standard handsets
    Yes it has dialling rules
    Yes calls to different accounts can be directed to specific FXS port
    So you don't have an IP phone, or is it the desktop phone? (sorry I am not used to the jargon yet ;)

No, I do not need an IP phone ...... all the connection details are handled by the VOIP section of the router.

Using standard phones the cost is reduced and the variety and choice is great.
    I use a DECT set on one of the ports for convenience --- with three wireless handsets.
    Yes, I supposed something like Colin mentionned in his message. Can you tell us more about the switch feature with Skype? I use skype sometimes, and maybe it could avoid me to have another softphone on the computer.

The Skype thingie is an 'ATA' ..... an old one ..... Telbox name ..... really a cheap home ATA which connects to a PC for Skype and also takes a phone line ..... which can be PSTN or direct connection to an FXS port of the router.
    Not something I would be recommending ... just mentioned it in passing as a device that has a switching facility between VOIP and PSTN.
    Yes, thank you, it really helps me to understand what I must look for.

By the way, can you tell me what is your router, so I can check and compare the features I need?

The router I have a some 6 or more years old.
    It has been ultra-reliable. It was costly at the time, but it has more than justified the outlay.

No doubt there are newer and better routers available now.
    This is the one I have
    http://www.draytek.com/user/PdInfoDetail.php?Id=35#PdInfo

Things I did not mention which might be of interest ...

There is storage for 'quick dial' ..... using a two digit number to make calls to numbers stored for the purpose.

VOIP/SIP calls can be made direct to and from the device, without using any VOIP provider.
    I use that regularly to speak to a mate who also has a similar device.
    Because I do not have a fixed IP from my ISP, I use DynDNS set up in the router so my friend calls me using that, rather than specifying the actual IP address (which I use to call him as he has a fixed IP from his ISP).

In truth I do not use the vast majority of the functions of the router ..... I got it primarily for its VOIP, there being little choice back then.

It also has Dual WAN connections - can be used for sharing the load or the second one as a 'fail-over'.
    The USB socket will take a 3G modem dongle (list of suitable devices limited). That can be used as primary or 'fail-over' connection.

Oh yes ..... the router also logs the calls made and received ...... I don't really use it ..... it loses the details on power down, but maybe there is a facility to save them somewhere ..... I never investigated that.

Oh yes .... that USB socket can also be used to connect a storage drive ..... I think it is rather limited in its functions, but it might be useful if not using a 3G modem ......

Your best bet is to go through the manual for a few routers which might cover your needs.
    Some might even combine PSTN and VOIP lines ..... I have never investigated.

That is about all that comes to mind ...... ;)

EDIT:
    The Draytek site has lots of interesting info on VOIP in general as well as their products. Should be worth a look through.
    This diagram seems to be something like you need .....

http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=20

• Advertisement

Thank you JohnBoy! Very interesting.

I would like to read some routers' manual actually, but I am lacking of time at the moment. I will try on the next evenings and at the week-end.

Have a nice afternoon,
    Best Regards,
    Hervé

This type of device might be of more interest to you, using IP phones

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2820pbx.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Hi,
    I haven't found a recent thread for my question, so I post here for the first time.
    There is so many solutions on the internet, that I am more lost than “educated” now!

I am looking for a Voip phone solution for a home office.

My context is:
    - aDSL broadband 7.6 MPS with Imagine
    - modem Netgear DM111
    - router NetGear WNDR3800
    - PSTN landline with Imagine as well (I am in the countryside so I must keep my landline to avail a good broadband connection).
    - 2 accounts with BlueFace for incoming/outgoing calls
    - 1 account with Poivy for outgoing calls

My actual handset (analog) is dying, so I feel I won't need to replace it with the same kind. I think that a IP phone will be a better investment, and I may find an IP base phone, with 1 or more extension handset (cordless or not) connected to it.

My request is:
    - receiving incoming calls from the landline through any handset
    - receiving incoming calls from the BlueFace account through any handset
    - calling out through BlueFace account from an handset
    - calling out through Poivy account from an handset
    - I prefer wired connections and cables than WiFi

Hi,
    I have a few numbers, 2x VoIP GoldFish.ie and 1 x PSTN line. I’ve set up my phone numbers as follows.

1) I have a Siemens C450IP base station with 3 wireless handsets.
    a. Handset 1 makes and receives calls on my Irish Voip number.
    b. Handset 2 makes and receives calls on my UK Voip number.
    c. Handset 3 makes and receives calls for my PSTN number.

2) The base station is connected to an Ethernet port in my broadband router as well as my traditional phone line.

3) I also have a Galaxy S2 and an iPhone using the Voip accounts as follows
    a. Galaxy S2 (android) – I use CsipSimple
    b. iPhones – I use Acrobits
    These are best used over a good WiFi connection and the quality is perfect.

Instead of getting a load of phone handsets you could just use a smart phone as mentioned instead, for one of your voip numbers.

Note: My base station is an old model, you could try any of the newer Siemens IP base stations. They're quite easy to setup and are usually just plug and play.

Best of luck.
    AJB

Hi,
    I've just upgraded to a Siemens N300 IP allowing me to use 6 different voip accounts/voip numbers and up to 6 handsets.

Regards
    AJB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

AndyJB wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've just upgraded to a Siemens N300 IP allowing me to use 6 different voip accounts/voip numbers and up to 6 handsets.

Regards
    AJB

Hi Ajb,

Good choice, the gigasets are handy that way alright. Some allow you to connect your landline also so its voip and pstn.

• Advertisement

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Hi Ajb,

Good choice, the gigasets are handy that way alright. Some allow you to connect your landline also so its voip and pstn.

Cheers,
    I've been busy making calls on new device and quality is A1. I've a PSTN connected, shame they only allow one. Is there anyway to connect others that you know of?

Have good weekend.

AJB

Cheers,
    I've been busy making calls on new device and quality is A1. I've a PSTN connected, shame they only allow one. Is there anyway to connect others that you know of?

Have good weekend.

AJB

In this case the SPA 3102 if what your looking for to add another line. This will forward it to a SIP address (that would be on your gigaset) or your ip address of your gigaset.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10024/products_qanda_item09186a0080a359ae.shtml

If you want to add multiple landlines to be forwarded or added to voip then you will need an fxo adapter. Or you could just port the numbers to voip to save on line rental.

Thanks Guys,
    I've finally got a LinkSys Cisco SPA 3102. It seems that there is not a lot of other option on the market for one PSTN, one analog handset, and ethernet.

I will add a IP phone later, but at the moment, the Cisco support website is a bit useless if you're not an advanced user: I could not find where to insert the SPA3102 in my network!!

At the moment, i have a DSL modem -> Netgear Router (with DHCP).
    But the SPA 3102 comes with a router and DHCP as well, but only one ethernet port.
    For good QoS, what is the config?

1/ DSL modem -> SPA 3102 -> Netgear Router?
    Or
    2/ DSL modem -> Netgear Router -> SPA 3102 ?

then DHCP on SPA or Netgear?

The Netgear routeur (WNDR3800 N600) has already QoS on, but I don't really understand how all this work together...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Have good weekend.

AJB

Hi AJB,

I've just checked the Siemens N300 IP, and it seems that is what I need with six SIP accounts... A shame I bought a SPA 3102 two before your post, because I need only one PSTN. And with cheap DECT handsets, I will not need any IP phone to access my 3 VoIP accounts on SIP.
    Are you happy with your config?
    And by the way, can you tell us more about your network setup?

Thanks,
    Hervé

Thanks Guys,
    I've finally got a LinkSys Cisco SPA 3102. It seems that there is not a lot of other option on the market for one PSTN, one analog handset, and ethernet.

I will add a IP phone later, but at the moment, the Cisco support website is a bit useless if you're not an advanced user: I could not find where to insert the SPA3102 in my network!!

At the moment, i have a DSL modem -> Netgear Router (with DHCP).
    But the SPA 3102 comes with a router and DHCP as well, but only one ethernet port.
    For good QoS, what is the config?

1/ DSL modem -> SPA 3102 -> Netgear Router?
    Or
    2/ DSL modem -> Netgear Router -> SPA 3102 ?

then DHCP on SPA or Netgear?

The Netgear routeur (WNDR3800 N600) has already QoS on, but I don't really understand how all this work together...

Any ideas?

If you have a QoS feature on your DSL modem and a spare port plug it in there. Then setup QoS to drive priority traffic to the port or IP address of the linksys.

If you setup QoS through IP address than assign a fixed ip address to the linksys (assuming you have DHCP enabled) and setup QoS to that ip.

If you do not have a spare port on your modem, plug everything into the Netgear. Then setup QoS on the netgear.

If you post a screenshot of the QoS setting page I can tell you how to setup qos.

What provider are you using?

Remember its always best to get traffic for the linksys first, and then onto the rest of the network. So setting qos on the modem is the ideal way so it doesn't have to go through the netgear as well.

--
    Edit: having looked into it futher, you should plug everything into the netgear, then one wire to the linksys in the 'ethernet' port and then a wire from the 'pc' port to the netgear. Then that's it, no config needed. That's the easest but if have another voip device then you will need to configure qos on the modem.

Shout if this is too complicated :)

Hi AJB,

I've just checked the Siemens N300 IP, and it seems that is what I need with six SIP accounts... A shame I bought a SPA 3102 two before your post, because I need only one PSTN. And with cheap DECT handsets, I will not need any IP phone to access my 3 VoIP accounts on SIP.

Thanks,
    Hervé

I have a gigaset A510 and I find it excellent, can't fault it. The gigaset never deregisters. Would definately recommend it.

You could use sipscorcey which you can connect multiple sip accounts to and then set that up on the 3102.

Then the 3102 would do your inbound and outbound calls.

The only thing about the 3102 is that unlike the gigaset it will only facilitate 1 phone.

The gigaset does up to 6 handsets, 6 sip registers and up to 2 concurrent sip calls so its like a mini phone system.

Hi AJB,

Thanks,
    Hervé

Hi Hervé,

My set up is as follows......

VoIP provider: GoldFish.ie
    VoIP Numbers: 2x Irish, 1x UK
    VoIP Kit: Siemens N300 IP
    PSTN Line: x1
    Handsets: Siemens dect C450 (x1 old model) and A510 (x3)
    Broadband Router: TP-LINK
    Broadband Provider: Nova Networks (Cork) wireless connection 8mg/1mg. Lowest speeds I’ve got so far are 7.5mg and 0.9mg.

I’ve the N300 connected via an ethernet port on the router (TP-LINK). I’ve not tweaked the router settings and the QoS so far has been very good. I’ve also had the pleasure (!!) of calling a number of IVR (press 1 for sales etc etc) based systems and they’ve responded as expected when keys were pressed.

While making VoIP calls I tested the link quality as follows……

1) I did plenty of web browser loads using various sites such as Independent.ie, Yahoo.com, FT.com, Amazon.ie/com, eBay etc etc.
    2) I did large FTP file transfers to/from servers I use in Dublin.
    3) I transferred numerous files to/from Box.com.

I’m happy that all is working A1, so I’ll port the PSTN number onto the GoldFish.ie service and I’ll put it through the N300. I'll be getting rid of my fixed line totally.

The various dect handsets are seen by the N300 as basically network devices. Handsets can be allocated to one SIP account for outbound calls, you can also allocate them to receive calls from all the other numbers registered on the device. Same applies for the PSTN line.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards
    AJB

Hi,
    Just to let anyone know that's interested.... My PSTN VoIP port went active with GoldFish.ie yesterday < 24 hrs after request sent. It has past the best QoS check possible, my wife. She didn't even notice a difference.

Best wishes for the Christmas season and 2013 to one and all!

AJB

great it worked out well for you! ;)

Happy Xmas!

Advertisement