Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I did one of those cheap tesco ham joints they have for €5 over the weekend. I rubbed a bit of dijon mustard over the top and just threw it in on it's own, no water or anything for 6 hours. I turned out amazing, nicest ham I've ever had by far.

I've tried a few roasts with a splash of water and without, and so far I'm finding that the flavours are better without the water.

I am going to try that coke trick soon though, that sounds delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I have a question about slow cooked pork

For those who make it, where do you get the meat? I read it was a cheap cut but we had to order it (shoulder) from butcher. Is this normal, I thought we could just buy it there and then.

He gave us a big cut even though we said it was for two people, I was looking for a 1.5lb one but ours was 3.5 lb. It was 20euro too which I thought was expensive (maybe the size?). To be honest, my partner just took it and paid for it where I would have said we didnt want it that big and would have asked for I to b cut.

Anyway, it was fab for burgers, sandwiches and a stir fry over next few days so would do again. Do you all use shoulder or is there an alternative with same result?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

frogstar wrote: »
    I have a question about slow cooked pork

For those who make it, where do you get the meat? I read it was a cheap cut but we had to order it (shoulder) from butcher. Is this normal, I thought we could just buy it there and then.

He gave us a big cut even though we said it was for two people, I was looking for a 1.5lb one but ours was 3.5 lb. It was 20euro too which I thought was expensive (maybe the size?). To be honest, my partner just took it and paid for it where I would have said we didnt want it that big and would have asked for I to b cut.

Anyway, it was fab for burgers, sandwiches and a stir fry over next few days so would do again. Do you all use shoulder or is there an alternative with same result?

Thanks

My local butcher (in rathmines) sell pork shoulder cut in large peices off the bone you can get whatever amount you want.

That's what I thought. It mustnt be popular where I am in Meath so he orders it in. Pity he got us the biggest one possible!

Next time I'll pick one up in Dublin, i work in city centre so I'm sure one of the butchers will have some

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got pork shoulder in the supermarket a few weeks ago, a piece about 1.3kg. But that was in the UK; I've never looked in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We have a good butcher's section in our local supermarket and the last time I did pulled pork the butcher recommended neck. It cost only around €7 for 2.5 kilos and it was really good.
    I did have to give him a couple of days' notice to be sure he'd have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The butchers I tend to buy pork shoulder at have them out on display and at a fixed price, between €11-€13 normally for over 2kg of meat. This would be in areas that would have lots of older people who eat cuts of meat that have fallen out of fashion (like around Meath Street in Dublin) or areas where lots of immigrants would do their shopping (like Moore street). My local butcher will cut me a pork shoulder if they have a piggy with the necessary parts in but I'd have to preorder to be sure and he tends to ask me if I'm sure I want a shoulder as 'its awful tough love if you don't cook it for ages' and charges around €20 for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have some pork shoulder that I got recently, and was going to cook a piece of it this weekend, I normally just roast pork, but I was thinking of cooking it in the slow cooker?

Are there any nice, tried and tested recipes for slow cooking it? Maybe a nice rub for the meat?

Would appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

I just usually rub it with

brown sugar
    chinese five spice (lots)
    chilli
    paprika
    garlic powder
    onion powder

Then cook it in half a can of cider, there will be enough juice from the fat of the pork. Cook on low for 8 hours, take out, pull apart with two forks, put back in and cover it with a load of bbq sauce and heat it up.

I like to have it on a crusty roll with lettuce, and whatever salad you want. And with wedges.

I make my own. Cut potatoes into chips (I love the skin kept on) parboil potatoes, drain, shake around in the saucepan with a bit of oil. Then throw them on a baking tray and decide what type you want:
    cover with curry powder or mexican spice or just simply rosemary and thyme. Depends what you are feeling like. Stick in the oven for around 20/25 min at about 220 degrees.

Raoul wrote: »

brown sugar
    chinese five spice (lots)
    chilli
    paprika
    garlic powder
    onion powder

Then cook it in half a can of cider, there will be enough juice from the fat of the pork. Cook on low for 8 hours, take out, pull apart with two forks, put back in and cover it with a load of bbq sauce and heat it up.

I like to have it on a crusty roll with lettuce, and whatever salad you want. And with wedges.

I make my own. Cut potatoes into chips (I love the skin kept on) parboil potatoes, drain, shake around in the saucepan with a bit of oil. Then throw them on a baking tray and decide what type you want:
    cover with curry powder or mexican spice or just simply rosemary and thyme. Depends what you are feeling like. Stick in the oven for around 20/25 min at about 220 degrees.
    Thanks, I don't really like BBQ sauces though, I love more savoury, spicy rubs, nothing too hot though.

Sorry, I should have said in my original post, apologies.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »

About this step, are you putting the meat back in the slow cooker with all the juices and then adding the BBQ sauce? Would there not be too much liquid at that stage? How long do you leave it?

I made a similar one a few weeks ago but did not do this step. It was lovely but maybe a little tough, this might be why!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

frogstar wrote: »
    About this step, are you putting the meat back in the slow cooker with all the juices and then adding the BBQ sauce? Would there not be too much liquid at that stage? How long do you leave it?

I made a similar one a few weeks ago but did not do this step. It was lovely but maybe a little tough, this might be why!

Nah, I take the meat out, pull apart, throw out more or less all the juices and then pulled pork back in and bbq sauce all over it. Just heat it for like 30 min on medium/hot. Anything until its hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Som e one sent me a few Slow cooker/ crockpot recipes, thought I'd share. I know they are in U.S. measures but since this sort of thing is more or less to taste shouldn't be too hard to get a fair equivalency

Chicken Cacciotore in the slow cooker

ingredients:

1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
    14 1/2 ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 medium green Bell pepper cut into strips
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Put all into 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours
    on HIGH or 6 to 7 hours on LOW. Serve over hot cooked penne pasta accompanied by garlic bread.
    serves 4.

Fruited Slo cooker Oatmeal

5 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oatmeal - granular type
    1 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup dried apricots or mango
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    brown sugar or maple syrup
    chopped toasted walnuts
    milk

1. In a 31/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine water, oats. apple juice, cranberries,raisins,apricots or mango, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
    2. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours.
    3. Serve oatmeal with brown sugar or maple syrup, chopped nuts and milk, if desired.

Creamy Onion Slow cooker Chicken (serves 4)

4 chicken breast halves
    1/2 cup dairy sour cream (lowfat works)
    1- 12 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 packet dry onion soup mix

1. Place thawed chicken in slow cooker.
    2. In a bowl mix everything else. Pour over chicken in slow cooker to cover.
    3, Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or on LOW for6 yo 8 hours.
    Serve over wild rice or potatoes. May be doubled.

Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
    1 cup barbecue sauce of your choice
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Put all in slow cooker. Stir to coat well. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until chicken is very tender.
    Remove from pot and shred chicken with a fork. Return to slow cooker and heat another 5 minutes. Turn to warm setting. Serve on sandwich buns.

Fall vegetable Crock Pot Barley Soup

1 cup diced sweet onin
    3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
    2 stalks celery, split and chopped
    2 large carrots, peeled, cut into coins
    1 sweet red Bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into1/2 inch cubes
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups vegetable broth2 cups water
    1/2 cup Pearl Barley

1- 15.8 ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1-15.8 ounce can Great Northern or any white canned beans, with their juices
    3 tablespoons tomato paste or to taste

Put all ingredients except beans and tomato paste in crock pot. Set on HIGH and cook, covered for 4 to 6 hours.
    Add beans and tomato paste. Mix well. Allow to heat an additional 10 minutes before serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just a quick question about slow cookers and cooking times, I bought a slow cooker (Tesco's own brand) and did a beef stew in it today which was delicious. I had it on high for just under 8 hours. Is 8 hours the standard cooking time on high ? Or would 8 hours on low have achieved the same level of tenderness in the meat ?

Also I put pot containing the leftovers into the fridge. If I microwave the leftovers will the meat lose its tenderness ? Or if I put the leftovers back in the slow cooker how long would it take to heat it up to a safe eating temperature if I set it to high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The standard times for cooking in a slow cooker are 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
    I use these times for beef stew and you can cut the meat with a spoon. Sometimes you'd cook for longer on either, say if you were making pulled pork ( there's a great recipe in the Cooking Club if you're interested). I've cooked fillets of ham in 5 hours on high.
    I don't think microwaving would make the meat less tender, although I tend to heat stews in the oven, covered in tinfoil - or in a pot on the hob. I don't know how long it would take to reheat in the slow cooker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've tried reheating in a slow cooker and it's glacially slow. Much better to do it in a pot on the stove.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info , will check out the cooking club recipe. Will reheat the left overs in the oven as I'm not sure how long it would take the slow cooker to get up to a safe temperature.

After last nights beef stew I think I'm a slow cooking convert=)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't use a slow cooker but I reheat stews in the microwave all the time with no negative results (sometimes from frozen). Better to not use full power - a lower setting for longer give a more even heat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've microwaved slow cooker stew and it's fine. Like The Beer Revolu suggests, it's better not to use full power or you might burn some bits while others are still cold. It also helps to brake it into stages, heat for a minute or two then stir it up, then heat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

RATM wrote: »
    Just a quick question about slow cookers and cooking times, I bought a slow cooker (Tesco's own brand) and did a beef stew in it today which was delicious. I had it on high for just under 8 hours. Is 8 hours the standard cooking time on high ? Or would 8 hours on low have achieved the same level of tenderness in the meat ?

Also I put pot containing the leftovers into the fridge. If I microwave the leftovers will the meat lose its tenderness ? Or if I put the leftovers back in the slow cooker how long would it take to heat it up to a safe eating temperature if I set it to high.

I have the tesco one and find I need to cook things for 8hrs on high. I only use the low setting to warm leftovers. I leave it for hours again if it's a saucy dish but put it in the oven if it isn't

I have the tesco one and find I need to cook things for 8hrs on high. I only use the low setting to warm leftovers. I leave it for hours again if it's a saucy dish but put it in the oven if it isn't

Thanks for that, I had thought myself that the Tesco ones might not be as powerful as other versions so thanks for confirming it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm going to try cooking bread in mine later today. Will let ye know how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kylith wrote: »
    I'm going to try cooking bread in mine later today. Will let ye know how it turns out.
    how did that work out in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

vibe666 wrote: »
    how did that work out in the end?

Haven't had a chance to do it yet; the slow cooker had to be quarantined after it was discovered that someone hadn't cleaned the rice out of it after the last time it was used, leading to ickyness like you wouldn't believe. Will pop up some pics as soon as I get a chance to try the bread.

Hi guys,

I have this recipe for Lamb stew, am hoping to try it in the slow cooker, any idea how long I should cook it for?

This is the recipe.

Lamb Stew
    Ingredients

Diced lamb (enough for two people)
    2-3 Shoulder lamb chops
    Tin of tomatoes (chopped or plum is fine)
    Some sweet baby/cherry tomatoes
    Carrots
    Celery
    Potatoes
    Onions
    Garlic
    Port (optional)
    Olive oil
    Salt/pepper/oregano/basil/thyme/rosemary

1) Browned some lamb chops in a frying pan and then put them into the pot, then threw some chopped onions into the pan the lamb was in and put in some port with them, then threw that on top of the chops along with some carrots and spuds.

2) Mixed up chopped tomatoes, dried basil, beef stock pot, dried oregano, salt and pepper into a jug and mixed it up and poured it into the pot, along with some boiling water also put some port into the pan after the tomatoes etc. and after a minute or two in the pan I poured it on top of the spuds etc.

3) Leave everything to simmer for about two to two and a half hours and then serve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I tend to go four hours on high, eight to ten on low setting, for beef and venison stews.

Put the stew together and allow yourself enough time, try the meat for tenderness after a couple of hours, if it's done set the cooker to warm and wait for dinner time.
    Not done enough yet, leave it crack on for another while and check again.

Slow cookers lose very little moisture during cooking so no worries about drying out, or sticking stuff to the bottom of the crock pot. You may want to thicken your stew/sauce at the end of cooking and the cooker will not reduce the liquid.

My beef stew is nearly done as I type.
    I usually either remove and thicken (by reduction) the liquid separately, or this time I'll make a roux and thicken a few ladles fulls of the liquids in the saucepan, before tipping all the saucepan contents back in to the slow cooker to thicken the whole lot.

I prefer to use a blonde roux or a beure manie, but not cooking the flour in the beure manie leaves a cereal taste I'm not mad about. The butter and any melted collagen type stuff in the meat gives a lovely mouthfeel and flavour to the stew, bit of crusty bread for dipping.......

Best of luck with your recipe, let us know how it goes.

Advertisement