Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Audax Calendar

Options
  • 28-10-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

The Audax Ireland calendar for next year is up on the website now. As you'll see, there are a lot of new 200s and 300s in the list, and an increasing number outside of Dublin, which we're very pleased to see.

If you're thinking about doing a full SR series (a 200, a 300, a 400 and a 600 in one year - a fair challenge for any cyclist), it's worth noting that there's only one 600 in the calendar, although there are plenty in the UK that are fairly accessible from Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I see a free choice for the Fleche - does that mean free choice of finish destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I hope to do a few 200s. What is the King's Mountain route (and what or where is King's Mountain, don't think I've heard of it)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

rottenhat wrote: »
    The Audax Ireland calendar for next year is up on the website now. As you'll see, there are a lot of new 200s and 300s in the list, and an increasing number outside of Dublin, which we're very pleased to see.

If you're thinking about doing a full SR series (a 200, a 300, a 400 and a 600 in one year - a fair challenge for any cyclist), it's worth noting that there's only one 600 in the calendar, although there are plenty in the UK that are fairly accessible from Ireland.

Thanks so much for this. The Midleton 200 in March looks like a nice Challenge Cycle for me to aim for. To date I'd be doing that over 2days: my recent 5-Lakes challanges are taking me to over the 200marker in 2 successive days, but this 200 marker in March looks like a nice challenge for me to aim.

Cheers for starting this thread and thanks to cdaly for recommending the website here for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

ROK ON wrote: »
    I see a free choice for the Fleche - does that mean free choice of finish destination?

Nope, free choice of start - as ever, all teams finish at the same location. I'm open to suggestions of where that location should be though.
    531 wrote: »
    I hope to do a few 200s. What is the King's Mountain route (and what or where is King's Mountain, don't think I've heard of it)?

King's Mountain is a new route - all I can tell you so far is that it starts from the church in Whitehall and will be fairly flat. I'm in the process of extracting more details from the organisers of the new events, so check back in a couple of weeks and hopefully there should be a page up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

rottenhat wrote: »

Yikes! Only a max of three weeks between a 400 and the 600! Thatś a fair challenge in itself...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've updated the dates on any of the existing ones on the Sportive/ Audax calendar in the FAQ

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've updated the dates on any of the existing ones on the Sportive/ Audax calendar in the FAQ

I didn't know about your linky here Captain Havoc, so Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Rottenhat

For Fleche.
    Cork as a finish.
    Very good transport options for those needing to vet back up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Plenty of options on the calendar next year, great to see!

no room for excuses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Yikes! Only a max of three weeks between a 400 and the 600! Thatś a fair challenge in itself...

No, that's about what you want...enough time to recover, not enough time to lose much fitness in between. Going from 300 to 400 is probably the toughest jump in audax - once you're fit enough to do 400 in a day, success at the longer distances is largely about the will to succeed. On the longer rides you will rarely need to go more than 400km without sleep: usually 350km per day will get you through a 1200km+ grand randonnee.

That said, unless you book your own accommodation, the sleep stop on the Red Line/Red Lane 600 is at 420km.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pinpag

The Audax Ireland 2013 calender kicks off on Sunday Feb 24th at 8am with the Kingsmountain 200km.,meeting point Whitehall church car park swords rd//collins ave at 07.30am. Cycling Ireland one day licence (euro 2.00 I believe) available on the day.All welcome full details on Audax Ireland.ie

Advertisement