Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2012/13

Options
  • 28-10-2012 1:51pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Might as well start this now :) Season begins on Tuesday night with 3 games.
    They are
    1. Washington v Cleveland
    2. Dallas v Lakers
    3. Boston v Miami

The Boston and Miami game is going to be full tension after all the talk during the summer. Gonna be great to see that Lakers team and how they gel together.

Predictions ? I'd go for a Miami - Lakers finals with Miami taking the championship. I just think that the addition of Ray Allen just makes them too good, Lebron will be even better this year.

Looks like its going to be a great season !! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Heres some season previews etc

The Basketball Jones is my favourite NBA podcast, its a daily show from Toronto and has a good balance between serious talk and the lighter side of the league.

Pro Basketball Talk is a good site which is updated regularly and usually has good news and insights into the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Finally :D

My predictions:

Champs: Heat over Lakers

MVP: LeBron
    Finals MVP: LeBron
    ROY: Anthony Davis
    DPOY: Dwight Howard
    MIP: Goran Dragic

Nothing out of the ordinary there, but it's hard to see past any of them IMO.

Heat will cost to the east I reckon with the west coming down to Lakers and OKC. I'd give the edge to the Lakers at the minute but that's just down to their team on paper. For all we know they may not even gel straight away while the Thunder team know each other very well and will have built up a nice team spirit over the past couple of years. Still, I'd have to give the Lakers the edge until we see how things develop.

As much as I don't like LeBron (and to be honest I thought I'd still be angry about the Heat winning last season but surprisingly it didn't really bother me all that much even at the time) he's by far and away the best player in the league and will stroll to the league MVP and finals MVP if Miami are to win it.

As for my own team. It's going to be so bad not getting to see D Rose out there on the court :( We're in a bit of uncertainty at the minute, to say the least. Of our first 53 games, over half are against teams that were playoff teams last year so we could get off to a very sticky start. Don't get me wrong I think we're still a playoff team and will win the vast majority of games we're favourites for. I think we can win about 45 games for around a 7th seed in the playoff, hopefully avoid the Heat in the first round and at this stage D Rose should be about ready. Then things get interesting :)

Roll on the start of the season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I ordered espn just to watch the nba but no games on anywhere. Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

stuchyg wrote: »
    I ordered espn just to watch the nba but no games on anywhere. Wtf?

Can you order ESPN without the Sky package?
    How much is that?

ESPN are not great for games. They do a few but not a lot. They have more when you hit playoffs.

We already had sky but no sports so I ordered in espn. Was dying to watch nets v knicks.

• Advertisement

Yeah ESPN only show them sporadically during the regular season but when it gets to playoffs and finals they show a huge amount of games.

Il have to make do with the NBA action prog for now until the playoffs start. Anyone else think King James will end the GOAT argument this year. I think he will just go beast mode for the entire season

stuchyg wrote: »
    Il have to make do with the NBA action prog for now until the playoffs start. Anyone else think King James will end the GOAT argument this year. I think he will just go beast mode for the entire season

There is no argument. He'll never touch Jordan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Finally.

That felt like an awful long off season.

Can't wait to see what the Lakers starting 5 can do but it's hard to look past the Heat winning it all.

Also there is no GOAT argument for James yet, many people don't even rate him as the greatest active player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

OH NBA how I have missed you. Can't wait for tomorrow night

My predictions:

Champs: Lakers over Heat (Although I honestly think it could go either way, my gut says that Kobe wants that 6th ring too bad, and with a great supporting cast, I think it will be the Lakers

MVP: LeBron
    Finals MVP:Kobe
    ROY: Anthony Davis
    DPOY: Dwight Howard
    MIP: Paul George
    6thOY:Ginobili

• Advertisement

Show me a better active player than james, better scorers yes but not with the ability he has to dominate a game

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Do ESPN have a list of scheduled games that they are going to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

So it's Wizards up first for us.... I'm pretty optimistic about getting an opening W tbh. Our pre-season hasn't been amazing but I'm pretty happy with the young squad we have

So it's Wizards up first for us.... I'm pretty optimistic about getting an opening W tbh. Our pre-season hasn't been amazing but I'm pretty happy with the young squad we have

I wouldn't look past the Wizards so quickly. They had a pretty solid active offseason and somehow managed to get rid of the garbage Rashard Lewis contract. This is John Walls contract year and he's been pretty insignificant so far so look for him to take the bull by the horns this year. Players like Nene and Okafor are solid starters too.

From my point of view the limits of the Cavs success will depend on the forwards. You have a good back court with Irving and Waiters but there's not much at the forward spot is there ? Anderson Varajeo is a good energetic guy but he's not going to beat opposing front courts on his own. Tristan Thompson really has to step up and prove he was worth the number 4 overall pick. Watch out for Tyler Zeller. He was ery good to watch at North Carolina last year and comes from a solid basketball pedigree. His brother Cody (Indiana state) is a consensous all american and top 5 pick in next years draft.

What time are the games on at tomorrow (Irish time) lads? I have them down as the following, but with the hour gone back I'm not 100% sure, cheers:

Wizards @ Cavs (11pm)
    Boston @ Miami (12am)
    Dallas @ Lakers (2:30am)

NBA league pass have their free trial available until November 7th for anyone thats interested lads. Its handy if your unsure about parting with the cash !

It's available here

NBA league pass have their free trial available until November 7th for anyone thats interested lads. Its handy if your unsure about parting with the cash !

It's available here

Got the free trial last year and was very impressed with it. Unfortunately couldn't afford to get the proper thing with it being Christmas time and I've got NFL Gamepass this year so won't be getting NBA's too, but for those that can I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Paully D wrote: »
    What time are the games on at tomorrow (Irish time) lads? I have them down as the following, but with the hour gone back I'm not 100% sure, cheers:

Wizards @ Cavs (11pm)
    Boston @ Miami (12am)
    Dallas @ Lakers (2:30am)

Whenever you're unsure about the times, just check an Irish bookies online and go to the game.

Your times are right though.

It's available here

Great! I completely forgot about the free trial

Edit: Do you have to give c.c details, and then cancel ala Netflix free trial?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Great! I completely forgot about the free trial

Edit: Do you have to give c.c details, and then cancel ala Netflix free trial?

yup

• Advertisement

It's available here

Looks good, no charges at all if you give card details and cancel before the trial is up?

Looks good, no charges at all if you give card details and cancel before the trial is up?

Yeah exactly, just need a visa card and to cancel it in time !

Yeah exactly, just need a visa card and to cancel it in time !

That'll do thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Heres some season previews etc

The Basketball Jones is my favourite NBA podcast, its a daily show from Toronto and has a good balance between serious talk and the lighter side of the league.

Pro Basketball Talk is a good site which is updated regularly and usually has good news and insights into the league.

Oh you listen to TBJ too? it's awesome! I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Oh you listen to TBJ too? it's awesome! I love it!

+1 to that. Very good show, just listening to the season previews ATM.

For the benifit of others - it's a Mon-Fri NBA podcast thats 30mins long, they have an extended discussion show on Friday. On iTunes, or their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

Am I right in saying that ESPN UK are not renewing the rights for this seasons TV coverage? Total disaster if the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Am I right in saying that ESPN UK are not renewing the rights for this seasons TV coverage? Total disaster if the case.

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

Jesus christ, it better not end up as bad as the mid 00's, there was no coverage at all.

Sky get your finger out and sort this sh!t.

Its looking likely that the Knicks v Nets season opener tomorrow may be off tomorrow night due to Hurricane Sandy according to multiple sources...

• Advertisement

Heat are 6.5 point favourites tonight. What do you all think about that line? About right? I'd love to see the Celtics win it, really spoil the Heat's opening night, but I'm not bitter :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement