Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan to build $84 million Super Mosque in Dublin Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lagente wrote: »
    Look, Islam in Ireland has proven itself to be hijacked by rich Wahhabists and Salafists out of Saudi and Qatar, and is being used for political goals..

Really? You've sources for that?
    You might not have heard about the suicide bombers in Iraq that were Irish. The Ummah brigade in Syria is led from here. It's goal is sectarian war and instability for Syria. As far as business goes Saudi and Qatar need to be isolated, for the good of the middle east.

You've sources for that also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Look, Islam in Ireland has proven itself to be hijacked by rich Wahhabists and Salafists out of Saudi and Qatar, and is being used for political goals.
    You might not have heard about the suicide bombers in Iraq that were Irish. The Ummah brigade in Syria is led from here. It's goal is sectarian war and instability for Syria. As far as business goes Saudi and Qatar need to be isolated, for the good of the middle east.

Even if that is true, this is still a poor argument for undermining freedom of conscience, belief and worship. I honestly don't care how extreme peoples views are, they have a right to hold them. If anyone else finds them ill-founded or silly they have the right to challenge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrD012

Belfast wrote: »
    Good point.
    Sharia Courts in the UK are more of a dispute arbitration service than a true court system.

very often women are discriminated against in these courts which are controlled by mainly men , women who feel they have been hard done by the decision of the courts are too afraid to seek help from domestic law because they are branded as westerners by their communities and outcast .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Look, why not wait and see. If all these conflicts and issues arise then maybe the anti Mosque crew can celebrate. Not a brick laid yet. Let them build it if it's approved. The possible harm it will bring is pure speculation at the moment.

MrD012 wrote: »
    very often ......... as westerners by their communities and outcast .

Getting back to the topic, you still haven't answered the questions I put to you earlier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81274232&postcount=460

Is there some reason you're unable to do so? It's odd, because they relate to posts and claims you yourself have made on this thread.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Look, why not wait and see. If all these conflicts and issues arise then maybe the anti Mosque crew can celebrate. Not a brick laid yet. Let them build it if it's approved. The possible harm it will bring is pure speculation at the moment.

The People in the UK were probably told to "wait and see" when Islam first started to establish itself , now look , look at them , its a mess , a well documented and reported on mess .

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

very often women are discriminated against in these courts which are controlled by mainly men , women who feel they have been hard done by the decision of the courts are too afraid to seek help from domestic law because they are branded as westerners by their communities and outcast .

In case you missed what I posted earlier, the individuals behind this project, have stated in the articles of association of their company:

"To promote the education of children about their Islamic culture, and mother tongue, to promote the integration of Muslims into the community for the benefit of the general community through community activities and women empowerment programs."

Is this not more relevant than what is going on in the UK? If women are being discriminated against in these courts then that is reprehensible, I agree. But I am not up to speed on them at all so can't really corroborate or dispute anyone's assertions on these courts. If they do indeed discriminate against women, then if ever such courts were promoted here in Ireland, it will be up to our state to manage them and even prevent them if required.

What we can judge now is what the backers of this mosque have actually stated and lodged with the CRO. Seems fine to me.

The detractors of this project keep worrying about what MIGHT happen. I would ask myself what has happened in the 15+ years since the Clonskeagh facility has opened? That is our nearest point of comparison. Anything bad? As far as I know Clonskeagh and the surrounding areas are doing fine. And indeed, based on the price a friend recently paid for a house in Clonskeagh, it hasn't damaged the area one bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The People in the UK were probably told to "wait and see" when Islam first started to establish itself , now look , look at them , its a mess , a well documented and reported on mess .

So, for that you would deny and not allow the Mosque a chance here? I see your point, but you cannot have that kind of power being yielded. If Muslims get the approval, and live by the laws of the land, then what is the problem? You are only betting that they will not live by the laws of the land, and/or that there will be conflict. The Clonskeagh Mosque and its presence/success would not bolster your argument here.

Would care to answer the questions relating to your comments please?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81274232&postcount=460

Why are you unwilling (or perhaps unable) to answer questions based on comments you yourself have made?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Look, Islam in Ireland has proven itself to be hijacked by rich Wahhabists and Salafists out of Saudi and Qatar, and is being used for political goals.

if we we only to trade with countries that we approve of there would not be much of the world left to trade with.

Not sure how long the world would get along without Saudi oil.

• Advertisement

And many people have told you clearly that from living here it isn't a mess. I think at this point it's starting to look very clearly like you're an ideologue with no interest in listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

philologos wrote: »
    And many people have told you clearly that from living here it isn't a mess. I think at this point it's starting to look very clearly like you're an ideologue with no interest in listening.

Indeed, at this state there doesn't seem to be much left in this discussion other than MrD012 repeatedly stating how opposed he is to the mosque because of Islamic fundamentalism, which is perfectly fine but it's starting to look like MrD012 needs to start a blog.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And many people have told you clearly that from living here it isn't a mess.

yes but thats hearsay - somebody told me something so it must be true , all of the factual evidence suggests otherwise and its not just to do with radical elements , it has to do with integration issues such as an unwillingness to abide by domestic laws and choose shariah laws instead.

yes but thats hearsay - somebody told me something so it must be true , all of the factual evidence suggests otherwise and its not just to do with radical elements , it has to do with integration issues such as an unwillingness to abide by domestic laws and choose shariah laws instead.

How is it hearsay when I see for myself every day how Muslims live and work in Britain? That's not really hearsay. That's observational evidence. Indeed getting to know Muslims personally helps to grow understanding in that area. Why don't you try to get to know your Muslim neighbours if you have any?

It seems your view is based on not much more than blinkered prejudice and clutching at straws.

Disagree with Islam as much as you like. I do. Freedom of religion, conscience, worship and expression is a fundamental human liberty. It would put Ireland into a category of human rights violators if you banned the construction of mosques for no good reason other than said prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ice man75

Even if that is true, this is still a poor argument for undermining freedom of conscience, belief and worship. I honestly don't care how extreme peoples views are, they have a right to hold them. If anyone else finds them ill-founded or silly they have the right to challenge them.

Even if their views end up in a plot like 9/11 or London, thats ok?

ice man75 wrote: »

People have the right to hold really rotten views. Its the job of counterterrorism squads to investigate terrorist activity or terrorist plots. People have the right to hold whatever beliefs they like as long as it doesn't adversely affect me or others.

People have the right to hold really rotten views. Its the job of counterterrorism squads to investigate terrorist activity or terrorist plots. People have the right to hold whatever beliefs they like as long as it doesn't adversely affect me or others.

So we have the right to hold really rotten views, as long as there not acted upon. but the trouble with that is people who tend to hold these types of views usually try to act on them.
    And I know thats the job of "counterterrorism squad" but from a searh on the Garda.ie web site we appeareantly dont have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, at this state there doesn't seem to be much left in this discussion other than MrD012 repeatedly stating how opposed he is to the mosque because of Islamic fundamentalism, which is perfectly fine but it's starting to look like MrD012 needs to start a blog.
    It's a legitimate concern - for example the Finsbury Park Mosque was a terrorist recruitment centre while Abu Hamza was in charge, many other mosques are funded/run by Wahabbists and are little better.

We should be sure there is no Saudi/Wahabbist involvement with this thing before letting it be built IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

London was home grown terrorism, we have had some of that in Ireland for decades and decades. The dizzies haven't gone away, you know.

SeanW wrote: »
    It's a legitimate concern - for example the Finsbury Park Mosque was a terrorist recruitment centre while Abu Hamza was in charge, many other mosques are funded/run by Wahabbists and are little better.

We should be sure there is no Saudi/Wahabbist involvement with this thing before letting it be built IMHO.

As I said, it's perfectly fine to have concerns about fundamentalism, no issue with that, as long as we can have a half decent discussion.

I'd wonder why these groups haven't infiltrated the current mosques? That doesn't seem to be the case.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

As I said, it's perfectly fine to have concerns about fundamentalism, no issue with that, as long as we can have a half decent discussion.

I'd wonder why these groups haven't infiltrated the current mosques? That doesn't seem to be the case.

Do you have proof the mosques haven't been infiltrated? I doubt the preach hate out in the open it's usually cloak and dagger kinda stuff...

And as a moderator are you not supposed to be in the back ground so to speak instead of giving your opinion on topics. I'm not saying you can't have your say but maybe it should be done as a member and not someone in power as it looks bias

It seems your view is based on not much more than blinkered prejudice and clutching at straws.

how am I clutching at straws when I have linked to many articles relating to the impact of Islamic culture on western UK society , on the other hand all you have said so far is that you know people who told you something or you know a couple of muslim people , hardly representative of the overall picture or a basis to bury our heads in the sand so to speak.
    It would put Ireland into a category of human rights violators if you banned the construction of mosques for no good reason other than said prejudice.

As we've seen with Islam all around the world human rights is certainly not to the forefront of its teachings especially in relation to its women , therefore if you discourage it, you would actually be protecting human rights.

Do you have proof the mosques haven't been infiltrated? I doubt the preach hate out in the open it's usually cloak and dagger kinda stuff...

And as a moderator are you not supposed to be in the back ground so to speak instead of giving your opinion on topics. I'm not saying you can't have your say but maybe it should be done as a member and not someone in power as it looks bias

You've been watching too much Homeland, a chara

how am I clutching at straws when I have linked to many articles relating to the impact of Islamic culture on western UK society , on the other hand all you have said so far is that you know people who told you something or you know a couple of muslim people , hardly representative of the overall picture or a basis to bury our heads in the sand so to speak.

As we've seen with Islam all around the world human rights is certainly not to the forefront of its teachings especially in relation to its women , therefore if you disencourage it, you would actually be protecting human rights.

Have you ever lived or worked in the UK? How did it impact you on a daily basis?

Is the behaviour of the YIM in Bondi representative of Ireland?

Are the actions of paramilitary men and women of the IRA and the dizzies representative of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I fail to see how your linked articles are representative either btw. I also linked an article showing that the media has made up stuff in regards to Muslims, and often solely focus on the negative, which clearly put your claim of your links being representative into question. I take you have heard the term if its bleeds, it leads.

Also, one of you main examples has no bearing on Ireland btw, due to our laws.

As I said before, you are just repeating the same thing over and over again, and ignoring any information that you don't like.
    As we've seen with Islam all around the world human rights is certainly not to the forefront of its teachings especially in relation to its women , therefore if you discourage it, you would actually be protecting human rights.

So your protecting Human Rights by denying them? Straight up hypocrisy imho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do you have any proof they have been?

All I am reading in your posts is conjecture without one shred of verifiable evidence.

As for MOD 'power' - seriously, do you think posters here cannot distinguish between a personal opinion and a MOD warning? Why should MODs not be allowed to express an opinion as long as they too abide by the forum charter?

Any future concerns about modding pm me, we are entitled to give our opinions, I hadn't up to the warning, now that I have entered the discussion I wont be modding the thread.

Anyway, I asked a question, you answered it with another one which suggests you don't know either. To me the possibility of something isn't enough to stop building a new mosque. I'm sure special branch are monitoring stuff like this, that's their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

So the starting assumption according to you is that the mosques have been infiltrated? I think the burden of proof actually lies on you to demonstrate how and why this mosque has been, or will be held to the whim of people promoting terrorism.

SeanW wrote: »

By the same token should the UK prohibit the building of 'Irish' centers given the decades of 'Irish' terrorism across the UK and the fact that dissident Republicanism hasn't gone away?

How do they know that these 'Irish' centers are not breeding grounds for the next generation of kidnappers, bank robbers and cowardly bombers i.e. Fundamentalist Republicans?

Should they simply decide to tar all Irish people with the same brush and adopt a 'better safe than sorry' approach even when the evidence demonstrates that the vast majority of Irish people do not support 'our' political fundamentalists just as the vast majority of Muslims do not support 'their' religious fundamentalists?

• Advertisement

Have you ever actually met a Muslim woman?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement