Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft First Tablet - Surface !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

So far I'm liking the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga but there's loads more to come out soon. It will be interested to see what the reviewers of the Surface think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

DRose1 wrote: »
    Keyboard sounds awful to me and not something that would come close to replacing a decent one on a laptop.

Which one? There are two types of keyboard for the surface, one like a standard keyboard with moving keys, the other with capacitive touch
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095699/microsoft-type-cover-keyboard-surface-revealed/in/2859835

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Vapourware comes to mind...

I can't help thinking back to Balmer showing off the hp Slate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You should be able to use pretty much any keyboard you like. Both versions have USB, and no doubt bluetooth, so any standard keyboard/mouse should work.
    horgan_p wrote: »
    At the end of the day I think that the only way to go with both phones and tablets is walled garden. Its nice, simple and the users know what they are getting. "Power users " still have the ability to jailbreak or run custom apps on their devices , but for the majority the "out of the box" experience is good enough.
    On the one hand I can Jailbreak and run what I want , on the other hand my folks can get their email without screwing anything major up.
    Windows RT/Surface RT will be walled garden. They will run Metro style apps only (apart from some built in desktop style apps like Office), and AFAIK only from Microsoft's Marketplace.

Windows Pro/Surface Pro should run pretty much anything, i.e. Metro style apps and desktop/legacy apps. This could in theory lead to bloat, but tbh bloat isn't really an issue on Windows these days. I'm a power user, I'm constantly installing, updating and uninstalling demos, betas and all kinds of software. I used to need to reinstall windows every couple of months to keep it running smoothly, but I haven't had to do that in years.

The equivalent problem these days is crapware, but that's an area where iOS and Android are rapidly catching up with Windows. It's not really something that can be fixed by walled gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I was reading a bit more about the Surface today and a lot of the media seem to think that they will have to significantly undercut the price of the iPad for it to be a success.
    I can't see it being cheaper than the €479 Apple charge for the new iPad, If it is I'll eat my keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

54kroc wrote: »
    I was reading a bit more about the Surface today and a lot of the media seem to think that they will have to significantly undercut the price of the iPad for it to be a success.
    I can't see it being cheaper than the €479 Apple charge for the new iPad, If it is I'll eat my keyboard.

Why would you even consider the iPad next to this, only advantage the iPad has is its so called "Retina" display. that has lost that extra 100 ppi from the original iPhone.

Choice is clear for me. Its either iPod XL vs Full Tablet PC.

Tablet PC Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Which one? There are two types of keyboard for the surface, one like a standard keyboard with moving keys, the other with capacitive touch
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/3095699/microsoft-type-cover-keyboard-surface-revealed/in/2859835

Interesting, I only really skimmed through the launch blogs etc and didnt notice that standard keyboard. Will definitely keep my eye on this now.

Still miffed Win 8 wont be out until probly November-ish... Would have been ideal for me to get one around September for college... ah well.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It was a bit of a suprise that Microsoft unveiled the Surface tablet yesterday out of the blue. I think Microsoft had to show the Surface yesterday so they can show it tomorrow linking up with Windows Phone 8. I wouldn't be suprised if we see it again tomorrow :D

Google are strongly rumoured to be announcing a nexus tablet at Google IO as well, so I'm sure Microsoft wanted to beat them to the punch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

stevenmu wrote: »
    Google are strongly rumoured to be announcing a nexus tablet at Google IO as well, so I'm sure Microsoft wanted to beat them to the punch too.

They did show it again linking up with the Windows Phone 8 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

For anyone looking for a cheap Windows tablet I just saw that save on laptops have the Acer Iconia Tab W500 with Win 7 home premium for £229.99 after £100 cash back offer from Acer. I haven't looked at any reviews and don't know what the cost of a Win8 upgrade will be, assuming you won't get a free upgrade, but for someone looking for a Windows tablet it might be worth a look.

Cash back offer expires on July 21st and you will have to buy through a friend or relation in the North or UK to be able to claim.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a cheap Windows tablet I just saw that save on laptops have the Acer Iconia Tab W500 with Win 7 home premium for £229.99 after £100 cash back offer from Acer. I haven't looked at any reviews and don't know what the cost of a Win8 upgrade will be, assuming you won't get a free upgrade, but for someone looking for a Windows tablet it might be worth a look.

Upgrades are meant to be around 40 euros, have to say it's a nice functional tablet played around with it lots but its design is questionable, if you don't care about that. Great buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sonics2k wrote: »

Still wishing Microsoft would come out and tell us the price for both models...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Still wishing Microsoft would come out and tell us the price for both models...

That's my thinking too.

I have concerns, and though I'd like to get one, I'm not keen on just how quiet they're being about it all.

We have a release date and some very basic ideas. I'd really like to see the reviews coming out by the start of September.

Pricing has been announced today

$499 for 32GB with no cover
    $599 for 32GB with touch cover
    $699 for 64GB with touch cover

$119 for a touch cover on it's own
    $129 for the type cover

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Wonder how this will be priced in euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Think they needed to come in with a lower price for the RT version to really try and grab a market share.
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Wonder how this will be priced in euro.

Guessing it will be the magic conversion rate of remove the $ symbol and replace with a € then add on the extra for our VAT rate.

Some € prices out now:

Germany - €479 for 32GB no cover, €579 with Touch Cover, €679 for 64GB with a Touch Cover
    France - €489 for 32GB no cover, €589 with Touch Cover, €694 for 64GB with a Touch Cover

Link

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder is that 32GB usable storage or will windows will take up most of it.

I wonder is that 32GB usable storage or will windows will take up most of it.

As usual its just the total memory available. Good to point out that it also has a MicroSD card slot behind the stand so you can always expand that for media!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't see why that article thinks the keyboard is a bad idea, it's a feckin brilliant idea. Why would anyone think having half your screen taken up with a keyboard is better than having a dedicated keyboard?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see why that article thinks the keyboard is a bad idea, it's a feckin brilliant idea. Why would anyone think having half your screen taken up with a keyboard is better than having a dedicated keyboard?

Which article?

I dont think anyone can say that a touchscreen keyboard is as good as the physical thing where you can feel difference between the keys.

Either way, even though the Surface looks great, sound great. As more details are revealed I keep leaning towards OEM's [Lenovo Yogapad Pro, ThinkPad, Acer tablets] They seem to be a lot more expensive, but they do offer a no comprimise experience. I particullary Think the Yogapad is the best one.

Acer ones look to be great value, 18 hour battery life + keyboard and dock(even if it does look gammy) included. Id love to be able to forget about my charger for several days sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

too expensive for a 1st launch product in highly crowded market

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

I would think so too, but when you compare it to the iPad, it's pretty decent. Windows 8 Tablet's have far more functionality than anything running iOS or Android. Office as standard on RT will be a huge plus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

masker wrote: »
    too expensive for a 1st launch product in highly crowded market
    It's €100 cheaper than an Ipad.

To be honest though, I don't see the point of this device. Other than having MS Office, it has no trump cards over Apple or Android tablets. Why not just pay the extra money for a Surface Pro that let's you run legacy Windows applications?

To be honest though, I don't see the point of this device. Other than having MS Office, it has no trump cards over Apple or Android tablets. Why not just pay the extra money for a Surface Pro that let's you run legacy Windows applications?

Well we still have to see what the price of the surface pro is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

i wish it was cheaper. 32 gig for 480 euro? is that the same price as ipad 3 16 gig? to me its a no brainer, buy the surface. however joe public would probably buy the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

ordinary user dont use MS office, they only want fun stuff and lots of apps,

masker wrote: »
    ordinary user dont use MS office, they only want fun stuff and lots of apps,

Yeah they do...I was going to buy my gf an iPad last year. She didn't want it cause it didn't have Office. My mother was the very same.

Now my mum is a bit tech literate, but my gf isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Still too overpriced, was hoping the might come in around 300 euro or so, but as said there its not miles better than the others for that price, so for me, it will have to wait! :)

Advertisement