Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Dahl is an Indian vegetarian dish made with lentils or yellow split peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Grilled chicken tenderloins with chorizo and sweet potato
    Braised lamb shoulder with gnocchi
    Prawns cooked with ouzo with salsa verde
    bread with evoo and dukka

14mpoh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dahl and Tarka Dahl. Tarka dahl is like ordinary dahl, only 'otter. :D

Dinner last night was based around aubergines. We had roast aubergine flavoured with garlic and cumin, served topped with with sour cherries, feta, toasted pumpkin seeds, chilli, mint and lemon juice. Second dish was a ratatouille type veggie stew (without the courgette), topped with feta cheese and eggs then baked until the eggs are just set. A loaf of ciabatta to mop all the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Had a foraging course at Ballymaloe today (brilliant) and were treated to an array of wild food dishes cooked in front of us. Lots of pics:

foiq95.jpg

Local smoked mackerel, beetroot, wild horseradish sauce and wild leaves:

14o0wk.jpg

Wild chantarelle mushroom frittata:

5aeyj5.jpg

Forager's salad (wild leaves, herbs and flowers):

992fkz.jpg

Carrageen Moss Pudding:

bj9639.jpg

Dilisk (type of seaweed) Soda Bread with variety of jams (damson/elderberry/blackberry/crab apple):

m9vaev.jpg

Looks like I'm going round in circles with my food. Desperately need inspiration for low carb/low calorie meals. :( I'm getting bored.

Yesterday I had sauteed chicory and vegetable burger, again. No pics.

Today I had prawns and a few scallops on coleslaw from red cabbage, carrots, red onion and chilli, garlic/yoghurt dressing.

34gpn9u.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

that looks really tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

First attempt at making Sushi, Thats grated carrot btw, NOT cheese.

221692.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ok, so I had a bunch of leftover stuff that would've been going off so I decided to cook it all together.

Pork, Kale and Mixed Peppers Stir Fry
    1 Pork Chop
    2 Small Onions
    2 Red Peppers
    1 Green Pepper
    1/3 Bag of Tesco loose Kale
    6-8 Mexican Discovery Green Jalapenos (came in jar with vinegar to preserve it i think)

- Wash the Kale and put it into microwave in a covered bowl for 3m:30s.
    - I took the pork chop, cut off all the fat and sliced it into thin pieces.
    - Slice up the Onions and Peppers into big pieces.

- Add some olive oil to frying pan / wok and heat gently.
    - Add thin pork slices and cook until starting to brown (very little brown) on both sides.
    - Add in the Peppers and Onions. Stir Occasionally

- Slice the Jalapenos and Kale fairly finely.
    - Add to frying pan / work and cook for a little longer.

Serve.

Frenchs Classic Yellow Mustard was a tasty accompaniment :)

Out of the Nyom scale, I'd give this one a Nyom Nyom :)

Hm-mmm....
    Low carb pizza today.

Cauliflower pizza crust (which in fairness is a cauliflower omelet baked in the oven). I added loads of dried oregano, basil, thyme, cayenne and black pepper. Oh, yeah and cheese.
    2d6ldoi.jpg

Pizza before baking
    29w98jm.jpg

After
    1zeifep.jpg

It was surprisingly great ! No caulflower flavour (it's going to be windy here tonight, though :o) 23 cm pizzas and 650 cal pp. Not bad for a feast day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Hm-mmm....
    Low carb pizza today.

Cauliflower pizza crust (which in fairness is a cauliflower omelet baked in the oven). I added loads of dried oregano, basil, thyme, cayenne and black pepper. Oh, yeah and cheese.

Beautiful pictures as always LaChatte! How do you make this cauliflower pizza crust, i'm very intrigued?!

• Advertisement

Made nachos for the lads on Friday night

nachos1_zps10cb9e7d.jpg

nachos2_zpsa3ec02b7.jpg

I got lazy and had a very simple but tasty dinner last night - breaded cod, peas and boiled potatoes with garlic and cheese

fish_zps072ab914.jpg

tmc86 wrote: »
    Beautiful pictures as always LaChatte! How do you make this cauliflower pizza crust, i'm very intrigued?!

Thank you !
    This is copied from my blog.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
    23 cm round pizza tin (with a slightly raised edge), lined with baking parchment - per person - 360 calories.
    Preheat oven to 230° C

Ingredients
    • 120 grs grated/riced cauliflower - 24 cal
    • 60 grs grated cheese - mine was gouda and gave me 246 cal - You can use a lower fat cheese, but you need some fat for 'melt factor'
    • 1 large egg - 90 cal
    • 1 tsp dried thyme
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • 1 tsp dried basil (yes, dried works best for this)
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • pinch cayenne pepper
    • freshly crushed black pepper and sea salt to taste
    You can obviously vary the quantities of your herbs to your own taste.

Preparation
    • Grate/rice the raw cauliflower in a food processor, it is fast and efficient.
    • Blanch the cauliflower for 2 minutes in salted boiling water.
    • Drain in a colander. Shake well to get more water out.
    • Return to the pan on a low heat to evaporate any excess moisture. Alternatively, you could press the water out with a clean tea towel.
    • Leave to cool.
    • Beat loose the egg.
    • Mix all the ingredients together and pour into your lined pizza tray.
    • Smooth it out evenly.
    • Cook in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
    • Leave to set slightly or cool completely to be topped at a later time. I made more than was required so I could store some in the freezer.
    • Choose your favourite pizza toppings and put under the grill/broiler for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it as it may burn quickly.
    • Leave to rest for 5 minutes till everything has set before slicing and serving.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Thanks, I'm definitely going to have to try this!

Also since there are no blog links, would you mind PM'img me the link?!

done

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Yesterday I had sauteed chicory and vegetable burger, again. No pics.

Hey LaChatteGitane

Always look out for your posts....this caught my eye....any more details on this - recipe etc? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Saturday Mrs Billy treated me to a kind of cottage pie but with steak & kidney instead of mince. Sweet Mother of Jebus it was fabulous! She's a keeper.

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Hey LaChatteGitane

Always look out for your posts....this caught my eye....any more details on this - recipe etc? Thanks

The vegetable burgers were shop bought. If you're looking for the chicory recipe I can post that later in the random recipe thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Steak, spinach, mushrooms, onions, potatoes for dinner tonight. Washed down with beer.

LaChatteGitane could you PM me a link to your blog please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LCG's blog link is in her sig. If you have sigs switched off go to her profile & view the About Me tab.

tHB

LCG's blog link is in her sig. If you have sigs switched off go to her profile & view the About Me tab.

tHB

Well, so I have ! And I hadn't signatures switched on myself.:o:D

• Advertisement

:D Yes, cauliflower 'rice'.

Fast day meal.

fefluf.jpg

2rca87d.jpg

2w6aq8o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

LaChatteGitane will you have that recipe on your blog soon? Those meatballs look scrumptious! :o

Tonight for dinner we will be having hake marinated in a tomato and basil/herb sauce. We will have baby potatoes and some sort of veg with it. And beer to wash it all down.

Was thinking of baking the fish, is it better baked or fried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The caliber of alot of the posts gone up here in the last few days is fantastic, fairplay to everyone.

I've spent the last four days sleeping in a frosty tent and drinking cans in a field (at a festival) so some serious comfort food was needed. I had an early dinner of roast bacon (some with jerk, some with honey/mustard) with cabbage, oven chips and a gravy made with the juices of the pork and some beef gravy granules.

205truv.jpg

Later I'll have a slice or two of the pork flashed in the pan on top of a spicey mexican tortilla (from the butcher) with sour cream and some very hot hot sauce. I'll be healthy tomorrow ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The OH made a delicious chorizo and sweet potato soup. Lovely on a stormy day like this!

ZSeHP.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

That soup looks great Faith, do you know what recipe they used?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was the Jamie Oliver one. Here's a recipe: http://porkknifeandspoon.com/2010/01/09/jamie-olivers-sweet-potato-and-chorizo-soup/ :). He says to tell you that it also works very well with butternut squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a huge plaice in the freezer so invited a couple of friends around last night.
    I baked the plaice whole and served it with lemon and thyme butter; roast, slightly spiced butternut squash; roast tomatoes (from the garden - at last!!); green beans. Washed down with a dry, Aussie Riesling.

rs_14.jpg

Also had some Biscuits Rose de Reims, and a bottle of Ratafia knocking about the house so I thought I'd do a trifle. I never made a trifle before but was very pleased how it turned out.
    I used the biscuits topped with green and red grapes and a bit of plum and generously drizzled with the ratafia. Topped this with good ole Bird's custard and topped that with a mix of whipped cream with Greek yoghurt and elderflower cordial mixed in. Finally topped with toasted flaked almonds.
    A Champagne based desert with no Champagne as we know it in it!;)
    Had it with ratafia.
    No pic but trifle isn't very pretty anyway!

Nothing too spectacular to look at, but it had the taste buds dancing.

Salad from iceberg, chicory leaves, French beans (needed extra 'filling'), pear, walnuts, Roquefort, smoked duck breast.
    Dressing from crushed garlic, grainy mustard, chopped onion, stem ginger, blackberry vinegar (homemade in 2006 :o) and a drizzle of olive oil.

33u6bcw.jpg

Autumnal and reminded me of our days living in France.

Yesterday we had another 'fast day' and we each had another portion of the chicken meatballs and more cauliflower 'rice'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

^^^
    Where did you get the smoked duck breast?

• Advertisement

I bought it in Lidl Belgium this time, but it is widely available here in any supermarket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement