Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairy Dieters - my experience

Options
  • 03-09-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share my experience of recipes from the "Hairy Dieters" cookbook. The premise behind the book/TV show is that you can eat tasty low calorie versions of everyday meals in portions big enough to fill you up. Anyway the first dish I tried was pasta free Lasagna - that's right pasta free! Basically you use sheets of leek instead of pasta. Other than that it's pretty standard albeit with lots more veg than I'd normally use. It takes quite a while to prepare because of all the chopping and my knife skills are pretty ok. Also the white sauce is thickened with cornflour and only poured on top of the lasagna (I usually put a bit in each layer). They recommend smaller amounts of high flavor cheese - mature cheddar and Parmesan. It looked and smelled great when it came out of the oven but was hard to cut due to the fibrous leek sheets even though I boiled them for longer than recommended. Once it hit the plate it collapsed completely into a pool of slop - very tasty though. As is often the case it tasted better on the second night and, due to drying out a bit in the fridge, held it's shape better too. I'll definitely be cooking it again. Will post some pics tomorrow. Hope to cook their chicken Korma soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

I watched this show also and found it a little bit misguided. I mean clearly the majority of their weight loss came from them giving up the booze (i think one said he had 3-4 pints a night). Its that rather than these healthy versions that helped them lose so much. Even some of the nutritional info they provide is very dubious IMO.

In fairness if they can encourage people to try making their own stuff as opposed to takeaways and ready meals then it has to be a good thing. Even if it makes people realise that healthy food isnt all about depriving yourself fully from foods which with a little tweak can be made healthier

Also funny how at the same time they are releasing this series and book about dieting that they are flogging their Mississippi adventure book and tv show on another channel...full of full fat cakes, deep-fried food. All about money unfortunately and flogging books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Might try this tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I tried both the chicken korma and the sweet and sour chicken.

The sweet and sour chicken was really nice and I've made it a few times now.

The korma was bland and I won't bother making it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Can I recommend you use courgettes instead of leeks in your pasta free lasagne. It is a vegetable that is closer to mediterranian ingredients than leeks, so works better in this case.
    It has also a 'meatier' texture to it than leeks which helps with the overall eating pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Can I recommend you use courgettes instead of leeks in your pasta free lasagne. It is a vegetable that is closer to mediterranian ingredients than leeks, so works better in this case.
    It has also a 'meatier' texture to it than leeks which helps with the overall eating pleasure.

+1 - that's how I make pasta-free lasagne. I slice the courgettes into ribbons with a peeler and use them in place of pasta layers. Tis really tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 - that's how I make pasta-free lasagne. I slice the courgettes into ribbons with a peeler and use them in place of pasta layers. Tis really tasty

Have you a recipe for this, or is it just - lasagne with pasta replaced by courgette strips? It sounds really nice, like a cross between lasagne and moussaka!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Batigol309 wrote: »
    I mean clearly the majority of their weight loss came from them giving up the booze (i think one said he had 3-4 pints a night). Its that rather than these healthy versions that helped them lose so much.
    I still reckon most "beer bellies" are really "after pub chipper bellies", studies have shown alcohol calories do not make you as fat as the equivalent calories of sugar. Your body simply does not use them the same way, like a car will not run well if you poured in high calorie lucozade instead of petrol! I know this anecdotally myself as I am a big drinker and know several very thin heavy drinkers who would be obese if the "3500kcal will make you put on 1lb of fat" rule was true for alcohol.
    Batigol309 wrote: »
    Even some of the nutritional info they provide is very dubious IMO.
    +1, I saw them doing a curry and handing it to somebody saying something like "hard to believe this only has 300kcal, isn't it?"

I did not know what the curry was made from but the rice alone appeared to be 300kcal or more.

rubadub wrote: »
    I still reckon most "beer bellies" are really "after pub chipper bellies", studies have shown alcohol calories do not make you as fat as the equivalent calories of sugar. Your body simply does not use them the same way, like a car will not run well if you poured in high calorie lucozade instead of petrol! I know this anecdotally myself as I am a big drinker and know several very thin heavy drinkers who would be obese if the "3500kcal will make you put on 1lb of fat" rule was true for alcohol.

Yeah its not the beer per se, its the fact that alcohol is kind of a gateway drug when it comes to over eating and not moving very far. After 5 pints, or about 1000cals, you still feel hungry, so order something greasy, and in the past I have even had a kebab or burger on the way home, so another 4-600 cals depending what it is. You also are more inclined to get a taxi or a lift home rather than walk to the bus etc, because alcohol makes you sleepy, tired and comfortable. Then next day, your still craving greasy food to soak it all up so its breakfast roll time. Of a cold pint of beer weighing in around 180 calories, the body spends about 60cals warming it up and metabolising it, so really it isnt the beer that is doing all the damage. Sure it is a contributing factor, but, I do think steak and kidney pies with chips and so on have their part to play as well.

Also, speaking as the person who does the lions share of cooking and shopping in the house, preparing by hand a full meal is hard work. I'd love to know how many calories one burns making a dish versus going down the pub for dinner.
    +1, I saw them doing a curry and handing it to somebody saying something like "hard to believe this only has 300kcal, isn't it?"

I did not know what the curry was made from but the rice alone appeared to be 300kcal or more.

I think that was the korma. According to the website it is 300 cals per portion without rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I tried the Korma and everyone liked it. Seeing as it lacks coconut and almonds it's probably a bit of a stretch to call it a Korma. The sweetness comes from caramelising the onions (for a lot longer than the 15 minutes recommended in the recipe) and sugar. I ended up adding extra water as it was way too thick. It was actually reasonably spicy but I did use extra hot chilli powder. I'll be cooking it again with less sugar and no flour (wierd thing to add to a curry anyway).

By the way here's a good tip for ginger - grate it from frozen with a medium grater. For some reason the peel doesn't seem to make it through my grater.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I tried the Korma and everyone liked it. Seeing as it lacks coconut and almonds it's probably a bit of a stretch to call it a Korma. The sweetness comes from caramelising the onions (for a lot longer than the 15 minutes recommended in the recipe) and sugar. I ended up adding extra water as it was way too thick. It was actually reasonably spicy but I did use extra hot chilli powder. I'll be cooking it again with less sugar and no flour (wierd thing to add to a curry anyway).

By the way here's a good tip for ginger - grate it from frozen with a medium grater. For some reason the peel doesn't seem to make it through my grater.

I try to eat healthily, not necessarily low carb all the time, but non-processed natural stuff where possible. Removing coconut and substituting it with sugar just seems wrong to me. Especially if this is meant to be a Korma-lite.

• Advertisement

My 'korma' is always a 'lite' version as I don't use sugar or coconut.
    I use soaked dried apricots and cashews to sweeten and thicken. I then add a wee bit of greek yoghurt to give it the extra creaminess, fully realising that they also contain calories, but it 'feels' just that little bit healthier. Dried apricots btw have loads of health benefits. :D

Flour is very strange to use, but there was a time when I added chickpea flour. Not anymore, as I ran out and it really didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

syklops wrote: »
    I think that was the korma. According to the website it is 300 cals per portion without rice.
    Yeah, it was the korma. In the program they went to a takeaway and asked if they could offer customers their version. In the program he handed a customer one with plenty of rice and said it was only 300kcal and I am 99% sure there was no mention of it not including rice kcal.

I worked out the boiled rice kcal before from a takeaway near me, it was 310g which is about 480kcal.

Those microwave pouches are usually 250g and supposedly is 2 servings. This is about 190kcal, but if you look at regular uncooked rice packs they usually quote bigger portion sizes as being normal.

My alternative to korma would be a tomato based curry sauce. Since the rice packs loads of kcals they should have been looking for an alternative to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

After reading the OP I've read this whole thread in a Hairy Bikers accent...

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, it was the korma. In the program they went to a takeaway and asked if they could offer customers their version. In the program he handed a customer one with plenty of rice and said it was only 300kcal and I am 99% sure there was no mention of it not including rice kcal.

I worked out the boiled rice kcal before from a takeaway near me, it was 310g which is about 480kcal.

Those microwave pouches are usually 250g and supposedly is 2 servings. This is about 190kcal, but if you look at regular uncooked rice packs they usually quote bigger portion sizes as being normal.

My alternative to korma would be a tomato based curry sauce. Since the rice packs loads of kcals they should have been looking for an alternative to that.

Its surprising how calorific rice is. Im surprised they havnt done a cauliflower rice additive. Thats very low in cals, and with a nice spicy curry, you cant tell the difference.

Guill wrote: »
    After reading the OP I've read this whole thread in a Hairy Bikers accent...

I can't help but love these guys tho'

syklops wrote: »
    Its surprising how calorific rice is. Im surprised they havnt done a cauliflower rice additive. Thats very low in cals, and with a nice spicy curry, you cant tell the difference.

I think you can tell the difference.

I LOVE cauliflower rice. I always have it instead of rice but a few people that I've made it for haven't been impressed.

(I also love cauliflower base pizza. nyom nyom nyom)

I think you can tell the difference.

I LOVE cauliflower rice. I always have it instead of rice but a few people that I've made it for haven't been impressed.

(I also love cauliflower base pizza. nyom nyom nyom)

Can I have your cauliflower pizza recipe? Would love to try it.

Cauliflower Pizza

(This is just from memory, you might need to tweek it)

Base:
    250g cauliflower
    1 egg
    15g cheese (I use cheddar)

Blend the cauliflower until it looks like rice. Put in on a piece of kitchen paper* and squeeze as much as the water out of it as you can.

*Parchment paper is I think would work better but I haven't tried it yet.

Mix the cauliflower with the beaten egg and mix in the cheese.

Form it into a pizza shape and place it on a baking sheet.

Cook in an oven at 180 for 15mins until it's solid enough to flip.

Flip it over and put on your toppings. I put on some chopped tomatoes, chicken, sweetcorn, mushroom and some cheese.

Back in the oven for another 10-15min.

I don't think it looks very appetizing but it tastes pretty good to me.

This is one of the first ones I made.
    431577_3115558723533_1746840064_n.jpg

Im watching episode two of the Hairy Dieters and Im a bit disappointed. They said they were going to make a low fat Sunday roast, but it looks like its turning itno more like a chicken curry than a roast.

They're starting to annoy me with their, "its tasty isnt it? Oh yes man!". It might be tasty, but its no Roast Chicken is it? I don't doubt it tsates good, but its a different dish.

They're also annoying me with "We reckon its about 268 calories". How scientific is their reckoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I tried the Marsala Marinated Chicken It was a lot of work and in my opinion not worth it. The balance of the spices was just not nice - way too aggressive. Having said that the idea was a good one i.e. replacing the skin with a spiced yogurt coating so I might try my own version.

Some interesting comments here. I would have to agree that a lot of it's not traditional diet food and that some of the calorie counting is probably a bit off although I usually have a lot of faith in the beeb. It kind of suit our household as we're not all trying to lose weight and most of the recipes are pretty filling.

I think Batigol309 was spot on:
    In fairness if they can encourage people to try making their own stuff as opposed to takeaways and ready meals then it has to be a good thing. Even if it makes people realise that healthy food isnt all about depriving yourself fully from foods which with a little tweak can be made healthier

A lot of recipes on cookery programs are distinctly unhealthy. I saw a little bit of the Hairy Bikers Mississippi Adventure - burgers with cheese on deep fried in 100 year old recycled grease. They Hairy Dieters was made after this!

In fairness to them they did address the alcohol issue in the final program.

Will be trying the courgette and cauliflower rice suggestions.

• Advertisement

As with all cookery shows and recipes in general, take it as inspiration, not as gospel.

I never follow recipes to the letter, but adapt it to something that suits me, suits the ingredients I have in the store cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Great thread. My wife wants to buy this book but I'm a bit skeptical. I cook a lot and always from scratch. If a recipe calls for double cream or some other ingredient that these so called experts claim are bad for you that's what I use. I'm no expert but I'm of the opinion that people are overweight because they over eat and do not take sufficient exercise not because of what they eat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like the Hairy Bikers and I'm glad I haven't seen this series because I think it would put me off.
    The Hairy Bikers' Mums Know Best cookbook is really good, I have it and have used it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

We tried the lasagne but gave up on the leek bit as it just got messy - made it with ordinary lasagne sheets and as a standardish lasagne goes it was pretty tasty.

Also tried the Korma - thought it was definitely palatable, wouldn't turn it down if it was put in front of me.

The highlight has been the Chilli salad bowl though - proper easy to do and genuinely, delicious. The food is sensible / low calorie as long as you adopt their portion control - the Chilli was so good I reckon we polished off a serving for 5 between 2 of us which is slightly counter productive...

I did the lasagne and it worked out fine. No problems with it.

Wonder what I did wrong with the Korma. I hated it.

Wonder what I did wrong with the Korma. I hated it.

I didn't try the korma, but I didnt like the look of what they were doing. They replaced coconut with caster sugar. Dafuq?

Just watched the lsat part. God, If your man "Si" says "dude" one more time... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I was googling cauliflower rice as I never heard of it before, How do you make it, so you add other herbs etc,
    It would be much healthier than rice with a curry.

Thanks

• Advertisement

molly09 wrote: »
    I was googling cauliflower rice as I never heard of it before, How do you make it, so you add other herbs etc,
    It would be much healthier than rice with a curry.

Thanks

Did the googling not describe how to make it?

You blend it until it looks like rice. Add whatever flavours you want (i usually add cayenne pepper or onion salt). I put it in a microwave save lunch box for 3mins.

Advertisement