Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

hand brake problem in mercedes

Options
  • 24-04-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I have a mercedes c200. Rather than having a hand break it has a foot brake. You press it with your foot to set it and pull a lever to release it.

when i start up the car the "releases hand break" warning comes on despite the fact that i have pulled the lever. Sometimes i need to pull the lever 3/4 times and sometimes I have to put my foot underneath the lever and kick it up slightly!

Does anyone know if there is any way I can do a DIY job on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

A little lubrication can often give satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

A little lubrication can often give satisfaction.

haha, thanks spiggotpaddy.
    where to i put the oil in this situation. sorry that i need this spelt out to me but i am useless when it comes to motor DIY!

Just get a can of WD40 and spray under the pedal around the ratchet mechanism, taking care not to leave any on the top of the pedals.
    Then pull out the release lever and spray in to lube the cable or linkage, wipe any over spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Just get a can of WD40 and spray under the pedal around the ratchet mechanism, taking care not to leave any on the top of the pedals.
    Then pull out the release lever and spray in to lube the cable or linkage, wipe any over spray.

thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The normal cause of this problem is that the parking brake shoes inside the rear discs have worn slightly and need adjustment.

Adjusting the shoes correctly will help the lever to return fully when you release the parking brake. This is quite an easy job for a competent garage so shouldn't cost you too much to get done.

Spraying WD40 around the parking brake pedal is most likely a case of just treating the symptoms of the problem rather than the underlying cause.

• Advertisement

The normal cause of this problem is that the parking brake shoes inside the rear discs have worn slightly and need adjustment.

Adjusting the shoes correctly will help the lever to return fully when you release the parking brake. This is quite an easy job for a competent garage so shouldn't cost you too much to get done.

True GD but it kind of spoils the DIYer part of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Well if the OP is determined to DIY it then I suggest they invest in a Haynes manual and find the section which covers parking brake adjustment then follow the instructions. Should be more effective than spraying WD40 everywhere ;)

wd40.jpg

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Onwardandupwar

Incorrect info George sorry.you can wind the shoes off completely and it won't make a difference to this set up your problem lies at the rachet under the back seat there is a black square panel with 3 nuts to open this linkage ceases up and the cable gets stretched that goes to the foot brake so firstly you need to un cease the linkage and secondly get a new cable from the leakage to the foot pedal. The with the two rear wheels off the ground you have to adjust the hand brake shoes in through where the wheel nuts go.

After that then you will have no other problems with your park brake

Quite a cheap and easy fix for snybody that is well up on Mercedes . If u have sny hassle just ask I'd be delighted to help out

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Incorrect info George sorry.you can wind the shoes off completely and it won't make a difference to this set up your problem lies at the rachet under the back seat there is a black square panel with 3 nuts to open this linkage ceases up and the cable gets stretched that goes to the foot brake so firstly you need to un cease the linkage and secondly get a new cable from the leakage to the foot pedal. The with the two rear wheels off the ground you have to adjust the hand brake shoes in through where the wheel nuts go.

After that then you will have no other problems with your park brake

Quite a cheap and easy fix for snybody that is well up on Mercedes . If u have sny hassle just ask I'd be delighted to help out

I have a 2007 C200 estate with the same problem. Can I access the linkage from under the rear seat in the estate?
    The car failed it's test because of the brake. The pedal was pushed (with effort) to the floor and the brake did not apply.
    Is there anyone around Meath or Cavan who could fix this for me for small money? I want to sell the car but get it test passed first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement