Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big spiders Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    They're crunchy little guys....not easy to kill.:(

There was no need to kill him. Think of all the dirty, smelly, disease ridden bluebottles he could have been laying the smack down on.
    Was told growing up that it was bad luck to kill a spider. They are useful creatures, unlike wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

galah wrote: »
    Also, the cat dragged a may beetle in the other day - have not seen one of those in a very long time!

Cockchafer!:p
    Got dive bombed by one yesterday. Apparently they are making a comeback

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

kevin65 wrote: »
    Was told growing up that it was bad luck to kill a spider. They are useful creatures, unlike wasps.
    And estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

And estate agents.

And gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

dan hibiki wrote: »
    And gardai.
    That was my first idea, but I bottled it and went for something more middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

kevin65 wrote: »

Me too! Reading through this I thought I was the only one who was pisreogach at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

2 huge ones on 2 different windowsills in my garage and I could swear they have been there for years lol I swear if they were to come together and fight it would be like watching rats with 8 legs collide.
    I forgot about one of them the other day as I moved a box beside the window and it moved at about 15mph. I was out that garage so quick Mr.Bolt would have a hard time keeping up :mad:
    Will try and get a photo tomorrow. Time to stick on the 200mm lens though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Arachnaphobes look away now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider

The Giant house spider (Tegenaria duellica; formerly known as T. gigantea) is a member of the genus Tegenaria and is a close relative of both the Domestic house spider and the infamous Hobo spider. The bite of this species does not pose a threat to humans or pets, although it is the only species of the whole Agelenid family to be able to bite through human skin proper (altogether).

Like most spiders, the spider possesses quite a potent venom to subdue its prey, which is not known to harm humans. Since T. duellica can penetrate regular human skin on normal occasions, the effects of agatoxin are more likely to be felt by the victim. No medically significant reports of its bites exist up to the present date.

With speeds clocked at 1.73 ft/s (0.53 m/s), the giant house spider held the Guinness Book of World Records for top spider speed until 1987 when it was displaced by sun spiders (solfugids) although the latter are not true spiders as they belong to a different order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Previous post on 07-09-2011, 17:19.

Then on 30-05-2012 13:39 an arachnophobe revives the thread with...
    markesmith wrote: »
    Coming around that time again...haven't seen anything yet, but the apartment feels like an oven at the minute and I get jumpy anytime I feel something on my arm.
    Anyone see any mad crazy arachnids down the West lately?

Masochism or what ?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Previous post on 07-09-2011, 17:19.

Then on 30-05-2012 13:39 an arachnophobe revives the thread with...

Masochism or what ?

;)

More like mentalness :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Just found an absolute beast, about the size of my palm, trying to build up the nerve to go back out to the shed and take a picture. I reckon the latest spell (2 days) of good weather has them out in swarms!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

^^^^^^^
    The size of your palm?!!??! i hope you have really small hands! a pic would be great, with something for size comparison?! :cool:

Genuinely can't find the batteries for the cameras! Who knows where she will be when I try get the bins out Thursday!? Someone said earlier that the female are the small ones, this one is beside a nest, presumably protecting it?! *SHUDDER*

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

There are lots of these ones around in the bushes, walls, etc, never seen them indoors:

dsc00239lz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

they're called cross spiders (araneus diadematus) - have some absolute monsters 'guarding' our shed and the kitchen back door. *shudder*

There's definitely an abundance of all sorts of spiders this year - anyone know why? Weird weather conditions maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just be thankful we don't have the aggressive house spider (hobo) over here.

Ours are harmless, at most an itchy bump might develop.

That said, according to wikipedia:
    The hobo spider is native to Europe, where it is a resident of fields, rarely entering human habitations due to the presence of major competitors, particularly the giant house spider (Tegenaria duellica) which is a common resident of houses and other man-made structures in Europe. As a result human contacts with the hobo spider are uncommon in Europe

Be thankful for our large house spiders then.

Crowned spider, interesting name.

Finally got the balls to get a pic of this guy, the white nest/food is about the size of a euro for scale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Come to think of it, I have seen a lot of spiders around recently. After opening this thread, I keep getting twitches on the back of my neck and start batting at it out of a paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

lucianot wrote: »
    There are lots of these ones around in the bushes, walls, etc, never seen them indoors:

dsc00239lz.jpg
    WHAT THE FCUK IS THAT!!???:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

THFC wrote: »
    galah wrote: »
    they're called cross spiders (araneus diadematus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Cleared out a pile of bottles that'd be building up at the back of the house for over a year today... came across a few massive lurking spiders among them!

THFC wrote: »

They are not so big, like a 2€ coin max. and I never seen them indoors, they prefer to be just on the center of their beautiful webs out in the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

J*sus, I shouldn't have started this thread at all. That spider in the glass, you can see his eyes :eek:

Lolz, sounds like a productive place!

You can even see the flash reflected in his eyes. *bleugh*

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

Four of these guys out in our garden...

IMG-20120831-WA0000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

OP again, morbid curiousity bringing me back here.

Woke up at 3am this morning to go to the bathroom and a massive yoke was in there. Took me about 5 mins to get the courage to whack it with a paper (inhumane I know but :eek:).

Found it very hard to get back to sleep then. After all, the apartment is now 'compromised'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Found a huge one in the bathroom, captured it and dropped it in the garden. Next day it had found it's way back in. This time it was dropped across the road. Found another one yesterday. This is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

OP again, morbid curiousity bringing me back here.

Woke up at 3am this morning to go to the bathroom and a massive yoke was in there. Took me about 5 mins to get the courage to whack it with a paper (inhumane I know but :eek:).

Found it very hard to get back to sleep then. After all, the apartment is now 'compromised'!

No point in me saying that they are harmless as you already know this. My Father was the same as you with regard to spiders but he always called my Mother to get rid of them:o.

The best thing to do is to upend a glass over them then slide a piece of paper under the glass to trap them. Then you can just take it outside or empty it out of a window.

Not only is it more humane, and they also help to get rid of flies, but you don't have a mess to clear up after squashing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Sod humane. If I find them in the house I consider it "them or us" and they get squished.

The big spider menace will not be vanquished by half measures.

Advertisement