Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money talks in Ireland

Options
  • 30-07-2012 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Just reading this case this morning and I've got to say justice in this country makes me sick.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0730/lyons-jailed-for-six-months-for-sexual-assault.html

How can a 'businessman' sexually assault a woman, get a 6 year sentence and have 5 and a half years suspended?

What's going on in Ireland when the so called 'elite' can seemingly buy or wriggle their way out of trouble?

Who does this guy know, or more importantly what does this guy know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

The family of a sex assault victim have said they are very unhappy at the decision of a judge to suspend five and a half years of a six year sentence imposed on her attacker if he pays her €75,000, they said the judges ruling is a case of "Money Talks".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0730/lyons-jailed-for-six-months-for-sexual-assault.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Obscene.

Anthony Lyons, the owner of an aviation leasing company, from Griffith Avenue in Dublin, originally denied attacking the woman when arrested near the scene.
    However, ten days later he went back to gardaí and claimed he attacked the woman because he was on cholesterol medication, a defence that was rejected by the jury.
    Mr Justice Desmond Hogan today sentenced him to six years in prison, but suspended five-and-a-half years of the sentence.
    Lyons, who was convicted last month, was also ordered by the judge to pay €75,000 to the victim.
    Afterwards, the victim’s family said they were very upset by the sentence and said that this was a case where "money talks".
    Lyons is now a registered sex offender.
    He attacked the woman as she walked along Griffith Avenue on 3 October 2010.
    He came up behind her and said "are you going to get home safely", before rugby tackling her into the trees.
    She cried for help but he told her to be quiet. He put his hand over her throat and mouth before sexually assaulting her.
    The victim managed to hit him on the head with her mobile phone.
    Lyons tried to take it off her and broke off the cover before continuing. She managed to call 999 during the attack and he ran away when a passerby shouted at him.
    However, Lyons left his umbrella behind as he tried to escape and was only around 100 metres from his home when the victim, who was in a garda car, identified him and he was arrested.

How in God's name does the judge feel that 6 months is an appropriate sentence for such a sinister sexual assault? The woman in question was a teacher of one of his kids, and when in court he tried to blame his "cholestoral medication"?

This guy lives down the road from me and I certainly don't want him out in 6 bloody months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

5 years in prison @ €70k per year = €350,000 cost to the taxpayer. Maybe the judge is looking at it like that

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I was going to post that.

It would seem that provided you have enough money, you can buy your way out of being properly punished for serious crimes.

The money is to compensate the victim, the jail time is to punish the offender. The two should be treated as separate items and one should have no bearing on the other.

Six months for a violent sexual assault, which would have been worse except that it was stopped. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems fairly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

He was found guilty of sexual assault, not rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Six months for Sexual Assault.

Six years for Garlic Smuggling.

Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Skid wrote: »
    Six years for Garlic Smuggling.

This is getting overused

It's become the new "what about the bankers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Can we introduce a garlic ban to AH?

And on topic todays sentence does not look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

He was found guilty of sexual assault, not rape.

Which included digital penetration. In the first case the charges were too small, lots of countries call that rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I was going to start blathering on about not knowing the full details etc, but having read the article...

What the absolute f*ck?

Ben D Bus wrote: »

And on topic todays sentence does not look good.
    One law for the rich, one law for the rest of us.
    Certainly sends out a message to women, dont expect justice if the fcuker that sexually assaults has money and friends!
    And people in Ireland were complaining about the justice system in Mauritus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

How in God's name does the judge feel that 6 months is an appropriate sentence for such a sinister sexual assault? The woman in question was a teacher of one of his kids, and when in court he tried to blame his "cholestoral medication"?

This guy lives down the road from me and I certainly don't want him out in 6 bloody months.

Thing is though, he'll probably be out in 2 months.

Maybe it's time the people in Ireland started dispensing their own justice.

I know that if it was my daughter that he attacked, he'd be begging to be put in jail for the full six years and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

out of 6 months to serve he'll probably serve 2, in Arbour hill, cushy, then live his life like nothing happened. once again our justice system insults the victim and looks after the criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Okay, just for you Dracula.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Woke up with a dodgy tummy today, actually feel properly sick after reading about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In my opinion the Judge is a disgrace, I for one will be writing to the DPP asking that she appeal the sentence in the Lyons case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We must surely bring in minimum mandatory sentences for certain offences. I am sick to my stomach thinking about the ordeal the poor woman went through in court, her bravery to see it through and get a conviction...only for this fcking wretched judge to throw it back in her face and have this vermin out walking the streets before Christmas.

Yes, great incentive to take sexual assault cases to court for victims everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If it was a skanger off the street he would have gotten a similar sentence. Its nothing to do with wealth. Sentences for serious crimes in Ireland are always too soft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

75k can hire a lot of muscle to get things done when the courts screw you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

kr7 wrote: »
    I know that if it was my daughter that he attacked, he'd be begging to be put in jail for the full six years and more.

Bingo!
    I always think of the guy who was released after his sentace for sexual assault. He went missing and they later found his arm or something washed up on a beach. I couldn't imagine if this was my daughter, I'd happily do time for what I'd do to him.

If it was a skanger off the street he would have gotten a similar sentence. Its nothing to do with wealth. Sentences for serious crimes in Ireland are always too soft.
    If you believe that then you are deluded.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i think the girl done well to get €75k and a few months, i'm surprised he wasnt on the bus home with her tbh

sickening stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Disgraceful sentence but looking at the bigger picture, sentencing in general in Ireland is so far out of whack with other countries it's laughable. Then again if we did have the tougher sentences, where do we put the offenders since the prisons in this country are dangerously overcrowded?

Even in prison, money talks according to THIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

What!
    It's well known that if you can splash the cash on a good solicitor you have a much better chance of getting away with a slap on the wrist. Judges in general are too removed from society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

If it was a skanger off the street he would have gotten a similar sentence.

Justice is suppose to blind but in Ireland its been to specsavers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

bbam wrote: »
    What!
    It's well known that if you can splash the cash on a good solicitor you have a much better chance of getting away with a slap on the wrist. Judges in general are too removed from society.
    Sorry that is just how everything works. More money means you can buy better services. The suggestion here is the 75k got him a lesser sentence. Further suggestions are he knows people who somehow got the judge to give him a lesser sentence.
    Considering the sentence sounds like other sentences I doubt that. If somebody can show a grossly different sentence for a similar crime that would support the claims.
    The judge would consider the likelihood of repeating the offense and the effect the sentence has.
    It seems very lenient but sentences often do.
    Really weird he would try this close to his home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement