Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summarise the current situation for me? Holy grail of freesat/saorview achieved?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Previous lurker in here before I bought my clarktech combo a couple of years ago. Just wondering if someone is on top of the current situation could summarise where we are at now?

Is anyone doing a Freesat/Saorview combo?

A Freesat/DVB-T combo?

Failing that, any TV's with DVB-S2 and DVB-T built in?

Beyond that, it seems I should stick to my old 5000c and wait a bit longer?

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

The current range of Samsung Smart TVs with satellite tuner can handle both Saorview and Freesat combined, without the need for external boxes and includes the Red Button function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    The current range of Samsung Smart TVs with satellite tuner can handle both Saorview and Freesat combined, without the need for external boxes and includes the Red Button function.

Ohh :D That sounds promising :) Looking for a 40", so this would appear to my option ...

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40ES630&pages=1&prod=40ES630&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

I'll need to start saving :( :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Is anyone doing a Freesat/Saorview combo?

A Freesat/DVB-T combo?

Failing that, any TV's with DVB-S2 and DVB-T built in?

Beyond that, it seems I should stick to my old 5000c and wait a bit longer?

Any info would be appreciated.

No Freesat/Saorview/DVB-T combis. There are Saorview/FTA satellite combi STBs from Triax and Walker, also non-Saorview approved combis from other manufacturers discussed elsewhere in the forum.

Regarding combi TVs, I posted a reply to another poster requesting similar info here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79879629&postcount=140

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A Saorview TV + Freesat box is best right now.

There is NO Saorview PVR. So at loss of having no TV3/3E you can kludge a solution using a Foxsat HDR and 3rd Party SW using Freesat + Saorsat or kludge a Media PC using 2 x Sat and 2 x DTT tuners (DVBviewer with MHEG5 plugin on XP or Win7 and Myth TV on Linux).

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    A Saorview TV + Freesat box is best right now.

There is NO Saorview PVR. So at loss of having no TV3/3E you can kludge a solution using a Foxsat HDR and 3rd Party SW using Freesat + Saorsat or kludge a Media PC using 2 x Sat and 2 x DTT tuners (DVBviewer with MHEG5 plugin on XP or Win7 and Myth TV on Linux).

My ultimate aim is to one epg for dtt and sat channels with all available epg info in it (i.e. the freesat and saorview data). My clarktech can do the combined epg but not the 7 day info (tho it tries for DTT and gets more than now/next off the current sat TP, but not using the freesat data. If I could get my hands on the code I reckon i'd throw together a rom that could grab the freesat info but no chance of that apparently).

Saorview tv and freesat box makes sense money wise, prolly the best value way of doing it, but defo not going to get a combined epg that way.

MythTV, hmmmm :D I spent years playing w mythtv in my analogue cable days - great fun but not really conducive to a stable TV watching experience :) Though obviously everything will have changed by now, might be worth another look.

Turns out that Sammy telly doesn't do combined epg either, you have to change the tuner source to access the channels from that tuner :( Which wouldn't put me off it completely, but at that stage you may as well just have a freesat box (given I have a lovely harmony remote).

So hard to know what to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

I bought my clarktech combo a couple of years ago

Which model do you have? I have the 5000HD Combo - I believe it should pickup the Saorview stuff, will be trying later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Schintzel

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Which model do you have? I have the 5000HD Combo - I believe it should pickup the Saorview stuff, will be trying later this week.
    Been using this model for a long time and there is no problem with Saorview stuff. The epg is displayed ok but the format is not great, only now and next for satellite channels.
    I recently went from firmware 2.01 to 2.05 but had to go back because it changed the audio output on the stereo out connections to a fixed level which didn't work for me.
    Have just spotted that 2.08 is now available, updated to 2.08 and my audio problem is fixed:D
    Haven't noticed any other changes and the change log is not much use.

I have the 5000C plus. It does get the Soarview epg, though in a very sporadic fashion (gaps etc. and now I've lost my Saorview here in Dublin since the Three Rock change).

It actually goes one step further and gets more than now/then from the sat channels, using a technique that only works by TP (I can't remember any of the details and as I think about it I can't see how it could work. The German channels do send EPG info with the tv stream but I didn't think the UK channels did. But it is definitely getting more than now and next, though again with sometimes quite significant gaps). The implication of the TP thing is that when you are browsing the full EPG you only see data for a channel if you have accessed a channel in that TP while in the EPG mode. So really not very useful at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I have the 5000C plus. It does get the Soarview epg, though in a very sporadic fashion (gaps etc. and now I've lost my Saorview here in Dublin since the Three Rock change).

It actually goes one step further and gets more than now/then from the sat channels, using a technique that only works by TP (I can't remember any of the details and as I think about it I can't see how it could work. The German channels do send EPG info with the tv stream but I didn't think the UK channels did. But it is definitely getting more than now and next, though again with sometimes quite significant gaps). The implication of the TP thing is that when you are browsing the full EPG you only see data for a channel if you have accessed a channel in that TP while in the EPG mode. So really not very useful at all.

I have a 5000c. There are no gaps in the Saorview EPG. You must be using a very old firmware version on your 5000c+. The diffrence between the 5000c and 5000c+ is an ethernet port which the + has.

Also you can change the 5000c+ to a an Dr Dish F16 clone model which has better software, but once you do that you cant use CTech firmware anymore. F16 is russian based, CTech German. Both boxes are made by Hubtech in S Korea. The British version of the box is made under the Technomate brand (another clone). Technomate have patches that allow for 7 day epg download for 28.2 stations which load to the machines memory from scanning the Sky OPEnEPG radio transponder. This wont work on a Ctech.

Ctech's only get Now & Next epg data for 28.2, per transponder. In Europe they do receive 7 day epg but only for the Astra 1 and Hotbird stations which is a different method of EPG delivery for different stations.

None of these methods that deliver 7 day epg are true Freesat. They only mimic it, grabbing EPG data from a central transponder temporarily to the STB's memory, it will disappear everytime the box is switched off. It also requires manual interaction going to the specific transponder and letting it load the EPG data.

Freesat is a proprietary EPG delivered using Huffman tables which also allows for the interactive features on the MHEG based platform (red button etc). For this reason you cannot mix Saorview DVB-T MHEG interactivity and DVB SI EPG data within it. The combo box if set up to do it would involve a source switching jump to move from one software API to the other like you see on Combo TV's. This is because you cant use another software package within the Freesat API for DVB-T.

Linux boxes can only mimic it. This will not give you the full interactive features, most important of which is never having to update the channels which is done in the background by the Freesat API.

That is why there will not be a seamless true Freesat/Saorview all in one EPG with true freesat functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Schintzel wrote: »
    Been using this model for a long time and there is no problem with Saorview stuff. The epg is displayed ok but the format is not great, only now and next for satellite channels.

Ok great - Got Soarsat setup tonight, well almost, I have a 80cm Triax with multifeed arm - 13,19 & 28.2 already on, i placed the Infinito LNBF right next to 13D and got 83 level and 15-20 quality on first try, was able to scan the channels (after creating a transponder) but i need to get a proper triax plastic holder as Duck tape just doesnt do it! :rolleyes:

STB wrote: »

Ctech's only get Now & Next epg data for 28.2, per transponder. In Europe they do receive 7 day epg but only for the Astra 1 and Hotbird stations which is a different method of EPG delivery for different stations.

None of these methods that deliver 7 day epg are true Freesat. They only mimic it, grabbing EPG data from a central transponder temporarily to the STB's memory, it will disappear everytime the box is switched off. It also requires manual interaction going to the specific transponder and letting it load the EPG data.
    Very interesting :) I might be mistaken about the Soarview epg, as I say I have lost all the stations since the 3 rock thing. I have to gather the courage to get up onto my roof and replace the aerial :S

I am on 2.50p, the latest modified (mainly for cracked cam access I think) firmware. Since mid 2.40's the 5000 has in fact had the ability to get more than now and next on sat, in the guide if I click on a channel after a second or two it kicks it with random programs going several days ahead (but missing large chunks, so it might go from 10pm tonight to 7pm tomorrow). I can't remember where this is coming from but it definitely seems to be TP related (like the European situation I think?). So if I click on one station in the Guide, I will get several days EPG for all stations in that TP.

The freesat epg format is basically just a compressed data stream and has been used outside of a licensed freesat box before. Obviously the "freesat" license requires sticking to certain conditions, including not changing the channel numbering, but that doesn't affect the actual epg feed - there are editable EPG's in some (non official freesat) boxes that are being fed from the freesat epg. From an api/software point of view there is nothing stopping a combined epg being done. I'm not clear on the format used to provide updated channel lists, these may well be proprietary. I'm not clear on the interactive situation but MHEG5 is not only license free but actually open source - so presumably it is open to firmware developers to implement a red-button like feature to access the various BBC stream channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭haribos

What????:confused:

Just tried the F16 firmware - nice colourful OSD :D Channel skipping doesn't seem any faster, and it freezes rather than blanks :( It also loses the extra EPG info, which is a pity cos the alternative Guide mode (where it looks like a Sky or UPC guide) is definitely better than the CT rom and would benefit from the extra info.

Now to try and revert :P :D

Very interesting :) I might be mistaken about the Soarview epg, as I say I have lost all the stations since the 3 rock thing. I have to gather the courage to get up onto my roof and replace the aerial :S

? They have moved Three Rock to Channel 30. Manually scan the terrestrial channel Channel 30 in the terretrial menu. Your latest DVB-T channel might be below the old set which you might have to delete. Are you saying that your group aerial is preventing this. In Dublin ? I doubt it.
    I am on 2.50p, the latest modified (mainly for cracked cam access I think) firmware. Since mid 2.40's the 5000 has in fact had the ability to get more than now and next on sat, in the guide if I click on a channel after a second or two it kicks it with random programs going several days ahead (but missing large chunks, so it might go from 10pm tonight to 7pm tomorrow). I can't remember where this is coming from but it definitely seems to be TP related (like the European situation I think?). So if I click on one station in the Guide, I will get several days EPG for all stations in that TP.

Well as I said I have the 5000c (pre + version) and I have never seen the Technomate "phantom" patch ported to this box. Perhaps they have done it for the Ctech 5000c+ (which might make sense as the TM6900 Super is its clone). If that is the case then you simply scan 11.777 v 27.500 and whatever channels are scanned in on that frequency rename the channel EPG for ease of use. You then simply select that station in EPG mode and it will fill the 7 day epg for the 28.2 stations. It is Sky's OPENEPG data transponder not the Freesat EPG data transponder. Much the same effect. The 12hr EPG that you may have been using is the same idea but possibly the one @ 11.469 h 27.500.
    The freesat epg format is basically just a compressed data stream and has been used outside of a licensed freesat box before. Obviously the "freesat" license requires sticking to certain conditions, including not changing the channel numbering, but that doesn't affect the actual epg feed - there are editable EPG's in some (non official freesat) boxes that are being fed from the freesat epg. From an api/software point of view there is nothing stopping a combined epg being done. I'm not clear on the format used to provide updated channel lists, these may well be proprietary. I'm not clear on the interactive situation but MHEG5 is not only license free but actually open source - so presumably it is open to firmware developers to implement a red-button like feature to access the various BBC stream channels.

Yes channels EPG are delivered via Huffman tables which has been reverse engineered by Myth years back, but thats all that was reversed, the epg data. Freesat API is not just about EPG though. Forget licensing. This API also contains important important mapping information to prevent the end user from having to re-scan in the event that a station(s) move transponders etc. The API is not in the open AFAIK.

Saorview delivers the EPG data over DVB EIT. Your box populates this data from reading the Mux. Also Saorview has a data carousel which delivers the MHEG5 features for text which if used in conjunction with Freesat API could not work as the keep mappings for both are not the same or would be calling both and so would not allow it. Most likely the onboard MHEG engine would just crash. CTech boxes dont have MHEG software anyhow.

As I said there is plenty of ways of mimicing the freesat feel and look but thats all it is mimicing ala the Myth TV hack (Also implemented on the Fortec Passions) done years ago. Triax tried it with the 537 range and had mapped the red button, but anytime new streams are added/moved or new interactive features added to link same, the firmware would require updating as the link wouldnt work..... And all you are updating is the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DVB viewer with MHEG5 plug in does Freesat and Saorview MHEG5 at the same time. I presume if you could physically get a Freeview signal that it works too.

STB wrote: »
    ? They have moved Three Rock to Channel 30. Manually scan the terrestrial channel Channel 30 in the terretrial menu. Your latest DVB-T channel might be below the old set which you might have to delete. Are you saying that your group aerial is preventing this. In Dublin ? I doubt it.

Well as I said I have the 5000c (pre + version) and I have never seen the Technomate "phantom" patch ported to this box. Perhaps they have done it for the Ctech 5000c+ (which might make sense as the TM6900 Super is its clone). If that is the case then you simply scan 11.777 v 27.500 and whatever channels are scanned in on that frequency rename the channel EPG for ease of use. You then simply select that station in EPG mode and it will fill the 7 day epg for the 28.2 stations. It is Sky's OPENEPG data transponder not the Freesat EPG data transponder. Much the same effect. The 12hr EPG that you may have been using is the same idea but possibly the one @ 11.469 h 27.500.
    Just to follow up on these two points - I unplugged and replugged all the connections between the roof aerial and the the box and sure enough my terrestrials came back in at 90%+ - yay :D

You are also right re the phantom patch - it looks like that is exactly what is being used. I added in Nickelodeon (scrambled but that doesn't seem to matter) and once I hit that channel for a few seconds the 7 day epg fills up for all the channels. One thing I am noticing is that a lot of stations are missing the actual program details, I'll play around with it a bit more, maybe I'm not waiting long enough.

If only I could get a decent EPG layout (instead of just showing one channel's worth at a time like the ctech) then I might even rethink moving to a freesat/saorview TV :) There is some talk of the actual technomate 6900 super firmware working but I can't find the relevant thread that had the header ID changes needed. I'll keep looking :)

Thanks again for the insight into this box.

c

By the way just to clarify re the pixmania price I linked to earlier in the thread. It looks like that is actually a french model and I'm not confident it will have freesat. I'm in touch w pixmania to see if they'll ship the uxxu aka UK version for the same price.

By the way just to clarify re the pixmania price I linked to earlier in the thread. It looks like that is actually a french model and I'm not confident it will have freesat. I'm in touch w pixmania to see if they'll ship the uxxu aka UK version for the same price.

Just to finish this thread off, pixmania cannot supply the UK version (i'd generally be wary of buying TV's off them now tbh) and so I went into Powercity and bought the 46" ES6300. Totally delighted with it, the whole UI is like a generational shift from my old combo box. The switch between Freesat and Soarview requires a few keystrokes currently but I am searching for a discreet code to do it, otherwise I'll set up a sequence on my harmony remote.

BTW, I wouldn't go into detail but I would say its worth asking the assistant in Powercity for their best buy - I got money off what was already a promo price...

Have a look @ forum.samygo.tv

Clever guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement