Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance - Tesco

Options
  • 25-07-2012 12:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

My motor Insurance is due for renewal around the end of August so I started doing the annual round of insurers and brokers yesterday.

My observations are that premiums (for me at any rate) have eased slightly from last year. I currently pay 440 comprehensive and the dearest quote so far is 400 (premium product with lots of protections and add-ins) - but the real news came when I contacted Tesco Insurance.

Comprehensive insurance incl. driving other cars and road-side assistance & rescue for 290 euro PLUS a free 30 euro shopping voucher, so effectively 260 euro. That has to be the deal of the year. This is a firm on-line detailed quote, valid for 30 days (I think).

The policy is with RSA, the same insurer that owns 123.ie who could only offer TPF&T for that money. Zurich wanted 337 and my own broker refused to quote because I'm outside the 30-day window for renewal. "We're only obliged to give new premiums 15 days before renewal." I'm with them 3 years but I suspect they've seen the last of my money.

Shop around folks, shop around...

If this is more appropriate to Motors please move it, but as insurance generally is dealt with here I felt this was a good place to post.

Some more detail :-

Zurich 337 internet, 365 phone
    123.ie 345 (tied broker RSA)
    FBD 411
    Aoninsure.ie 346, 360, 368, 570 (broker, 4 best quotes)
    (I waited 3 hours for a call-back from this crowd and eventually went online myself)
    Payless Direct 330 (same as ?) Munster Group, Ennis 330 (broker)
    Arachas 445 (Broker Allianz)
    Tescos (broker RSA) 290 - 30 voucher = 260

Allianz direct, AXA, Liberty and one more are sending me quotes in the post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've had Tesco the last few years for about €220, but since RSA took over they seriously reduced what you get on comprehensive, just read over it and make sure you are happy with it. TBH, if I get a quote within €30 of my last years insurance I'll move.

Well worth trying though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ... since RSA took over they seriously reduced what you get on comprehensive, ...
    Thanks. They gave me three options from the 290 above to 400+ at the top-end. I'm very happy to get in under 300 for comprehensive. It's great to have an option at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bucksja

mathepac wrote: »
    My motor Insurance is due for renewal around the end of August so I started doing the annual round of insurers and brokers yesterday.

My observations are that premiums (for me at any rate) have eased slightly from last year. I currently pay 440 comprehensive and the dearest quote so far is 400 (premium product with lots of protections and add-ins) - but the real news came when I contacted Tesco Insurance.

Comprehensive insurance incl. driving other cars and road-side assistance & rescue for 290 euro PLUS a free 30 euro shopping voucher, so effectively 260 euro. That has to be the deal of the year. This is a firm on-line detailed quote, valid for 30 days (I think).

The policy is with RSA, the same insurer that owns 123.ie who could only offer TPF&T for that money. Zurich wanted 337 and my own broker refused to quote because I'm outside the 30-day window for renewal. "We're only obliged to give new premiums 15 days before renewal." I'm with them 3 years but I suspect they've seen the last of my money.

Shop around folks, shop around...

If this is more appropriate to Motors please move it, but as insurance generally is dealt with here I felt this was a good place to post.

Some more detail :-

Zurich 337 internet, 365 phone
    123.ie 345 (tied broker RSA)
    FBD 411
    Aoninsure.ie 346, 360, 368, 570 (broker, 4 best quotes)
    (I waited 3 hours for a call-back from this crowd and eventually went online myself)
    Payless Direct 330 (same as ?) Munster Group, Ennis 330 (broker)
    Arachas 445 (Broker Allianz)
    Tescos (broker RSA) 290 - 30 voucher = 260

Allianz direct, AXA, Liberty and one more are sending me quotes in the post.

AA Offerred me the best Quote for the value,Fully Comp with all and €250 policy excess,with FULL bonus Protection for €436.56 could have got same only with €500 policy excess for €402.35 also with AA but decided on lower Policy excess. AA Also offerred Stebback Bonus Protection with €500 policy excess for €385.59. Also got €30 cash back with Fatcheese for buying through their link.
    AA Policy was the best as alows you 2 Claims unlimited amount in a 3 year period without any loss of No claims discount its was through with AA through KennCo Insurance.

Other cheapest quote was from €376.88 with AON Insure but didnt have excess details or driving of other cars available on web site or Bonus Protection so gave them a skip.

Zurich were €447.25 didnt have excess details but didnt have benefits AA had.

123.ie were €477.85 with €300 policy excess but didnt have benefits AA had.

Tesco were too expensive at €502.79

FBD were again too expensive at €565.89

I could have got cheaper but a few things to remember are
    Look at Policy Excess & Bonus Protection is it Step Back or Full and look at the benefits of Full Protection how many claims before affecting your NCD.

Hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that. Never thought of Tesco when I was renewing this year, but will be giving them a call next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Never thought of Tesco when I was renewing this year, but will be giving them a call next time.
    fbd knocked €90 off my renewal over the phone. cost me 390
    never thought of tesco but always tended to avoid them after talking to a friend who processed their claims.

• Advertisement

... always tended to avoid them after talking to a friend who processed their claims.
    ... and? Don't leave us in the dark. What did your friend find out / notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP, have a good look at your pokicy before you accept. The three options you were quoted were value comp, tesco comp and fnest comp.
    When i went with tesco first, the 'finest comp' was standard. There are a few things excluded that you presume you have on fully comp.

OK here’s a link to a table of the high points of the quotations I requested and that are to hand at this time. Points to note:

This is not a recommendation of any insurance product to anyone. The quotes are all based on my car, my driving history, my circumstances and me. In other words, a common set of criteria.

The minimum criteria I laid down were:

• Comprehensive
    • Road-side assistance / rescue
    • Driving other cars.

Some respondents chose to offer 3rd-party quotes; I ignored these options.

In getting telephone quotes some sales-people (two in particular) became highly agitated when I said I wanted to spec my own policy and wasn’t interested in add-ins / add-ons.

123.ie haven’t changed since I was a customer a few years ago. After three failed attempts to get to talk to someone yesterday, I left a message for a callback. They never did call back.

AXA, despite their slogan “Because safe drivers should pay less” were in 15th place out of 17 quotes based on price. I am demonstrably a very safe driver so their criteria don’t apply to me apparently.

Aoninsure.ie offer a nice option when they display the four best quotes on their site – they offer you the option of pricing TPF&T as well as comprehensive for their selections; useful as an option IMHO.

I couldn’t get a quote from Liberty (aka Quinn) as they told me there’s an outstanding balance on a house policy I had with them a few years ago. I can’t remember what happened but was able to confirm certain details they gave me. They’re sending me documents to check with my own records, but I can’t get a motor quote until we resolve the problem.

A general observation is that most of those who provided written quotes in the post sent reams of paper; Tom, my post-man needs to see a medic about his back after delivering the motor-quotes to the house. One document consisted of 8 pages and a cover letter. One outfit thought their 6-page quote was so good they sent it twice and two insurers and one broker (both at the high-end price wise) printed their proposals on 120gsm paper (like light card if paper weights aren't your thing) that must cost a bundle – they certainly weighs a lot.

I still have to get a written quote from Zurich as they don’t email quotations, so I won’t have that until Monday / Tuesday and can’t “score” it until then so in the interim the “RANK” column on the table is based on price alone; please bear that in mind if you’re using any of the data.

HTH

Advertisement