Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intresting comment from Maureen O Sulklivan TD

• 23-07-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭

An exerpt from Maureen O Sulivan TD[Noted ICABS spokeswoman] speech on the Animal welfare bill. The whole speech is here.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/07/18/00005.asp Mostly the rant is about coursing,of course.

But you have wonder what else is up their sleeve Re shooting???

Deputy Maureen O’Sullivan: It is appropriate that, even though they relate to the remits of two Ministers, we are debating the Wildlife (Amendment) Bill 2012 in advance of dealing with the Animal Health and Welfare Bill 2012. The Bill before the House is technical in nature and deals with the current hunting licence provisions relating to the shooting of wild birds and hares during open season. In the hunting of birds there is a need to put in place a protocol on the numbers of certain species hunted in order that we might monitor the impact. We must ensure changes in the level of hunting pressure are monitored and I wonder how it is proposed to do this. There is also a need to review the listed species of birds which are hunted in open season, particularly as some of these are of concern, both nationally and on an EU basis, in terms of their conservation. Wildlife in Ireland is a good indicator of the impact of environmental changes and, therefore, the question of monitoring is significant. We are aware that some species such as the breeding curlew and other breeding wader species are suffering a serious decline in numbers.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Just read that start to finish. Tough reading. Should come with a built in ****e talk filter!
    Amazing how a central topic can be drailed by a few morons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

where? do they get this drivil from:confused::confused:what now walter mitty following u round writing down the amount of pheasants you shoot in a day! will it come to us bein limited on your licence the amount of bird species shot in a season, we are true conservationsts have they not got the picture yet,god help us,

p.s forgot to say thanks grizz for posting it up,an there is 1 td on that ,that will be getting an earfull from me nxt time he darkens my door looking for the vote :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It may sound strange but I agree with the fact that it may from time to time be necessary to adjust open season orders as numbers of certain species can slide towards dangerously low levels and an extra protection can have some positive result on numbers.

What is often not mentioned by anti-hunting people though is that other factors than hunting can have far more substantial effects on population levels, habitat destruction and changes being at the forefront.

The changes in agricultural techniques since the development of modern machinery (a necessity with the ever increasing global population in my opinion) and ill advised use of certain chemicals in the past for example have definitely accounted for more substantial changes in the decline of certain species and increases in the number of others.

And what anti-hunting people will definitely not tell you is the positive effects hunting and shooting can have. I can safely quote you my local area as an example where a number of successive years of consistent fox control has resulted in an increase of the numbers of hares, an animal that according to certain groups is on the brink of extinction.

On a practical note; a bag return will never provide conclusive numbers as hunting is only one small factor that influences population fluctuations. Before people want to start and debate implementation of bag limits in any reasonable shape or form it will absolutely necessary to carry out scientific surveys of population numbers and all factors influencing populations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I just read the extract twice. What is said seems to be fair and reasonable. Seems to be supportive of conservation which is in the interest of all hunters.

• Advertisement

yeh would agree on the conserversation side of it,which we as hunters take very seriously, but you would wonder is it bein sugercoated to please prohunting t,ds and hunting fraturnity, in order to sneak in a lead ban or something else? two things i dont trust collies and tds:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

True... I've been bitten by collies and we've all been bitten by politicians...:mad:

ah yeh collies, i wouldnt mind i grew up on a farm and we had severel of em and one bite me ,they are just a sleiveen of a dog:mad: an tds are the biggest sleiveens of time thats for damn sure:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

To me it seems to be a mishmash of everything,and its all the hunters fault anyway statement.Since when has there been a open season on Curlews?And what other waders are being affected by hunting??
    As stated without somone going out and doing a scientific study in their waders in the slobland and not in a comfy office in Brussels or wherever,it will be pointless bring in bag limits or quotas.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

FFS its only for the lads releasing pheasants and controlling vermin in the countryside there would be less bloody wildlife.
    Annoys me that they cant keep there nose out looking for votes from the countrys do-gooders is all this is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭raymonjdevine

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ...............Since when has there been a open season on Curlews?................

Usually the month of November IIRC

Not sure if it still on the list though tbh ;)

Advertisement