Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Used it for a couple of hours, but switched back. Too much space either side and it misses the actual "last post" on a thread so you've to scroll back up a bit to see it.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Used it for a couple of hours, but switched back. Too much space either side and it misses the actual "last post" on a thread so you've to scroll back up a bit to see it.

Try pressing CTRL+Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Never worked on a skin like this but could a "zoom out" option be added that wouldn't leave whitespace either side as you get when you zoom out with your browser?

Maybe it'd be best implemented as another skin once you've got the functionality down on this one? I like to have as much content on screen as possible.

Again, looking at this on my work laptop which is 1440*900, will have a look at it on the netbook this evening but I'm suspecting the whitespace and largers buttons are going to be a PITA on a small screen: easier to navigate, perhaps, but requiring far more navigation to read the content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice job - fresher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Try pressing CTRL+Zero.

That won't actually solve it for everyone. Anyone with a screen wider than 1400 pixels will see white space to the side as the design will not currently expand beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like it :).... the Opacity on the black bar could do with being full gray or black.... It get confusing when theres text behind it other then that Its really cool...

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Looks O.K. on my TouchPad but can't use it on my computer (Latop, WinXP-SP3, IE8) because:
    We have ceased support for your browser and you have been directed to 'old style' boards.ie. To experience the new look boards.ie and get the most from the site, please upgrade your browser to IE8+, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.
    I suspect there might be a registry setting which has been changed but no-one will confirm (or deny) that. - Still looking.

~
    Beta: at top right there are two icons; new post indicator and new PM indicator.
    New Beta: seems to have merged these and more into one indicator. I prefer being able to see at a glance - maybe it's a generation (or two) thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Looks O.K. on my TouchPad but can't use it on my computer (Latop, WinXP-SP3, IE8) because:I suspect there might be a registry setting which has been changed but no-one will confirm (or deny) that. - Still looking.

~
    Beta: at top right there are two icons; new post indicator and new PM indicator.
    New Beta: seems to have merged these and more into one indicator. I prefer being able to see at a glance - maybe it's a generation (or two) thing.

What does: http://www.quirksmode.org/js/detect.html report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Ok, I have managed to remove the features that have annoyed me so far. I still prefer this design and layout but the annoying things were just building up a bit.

I've installed a chrome extension (personalised web) to add some custom css. Removed the max-width, darkened the background a little (really helps my eyes), dropped the main text size down a size, and now the header bar has the forum list as a fixed position so it scrolls up and down the page but the rest of it doesn't.

Much improved experience. If anybody wants my stylesheet just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Would like to see the "User CP" link back, otherwise it's great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

There's too much space between the quick reply box and the last post, also the header that follows you down is way too big.

Other than that, it's A-OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dermo wrote: »
    Ok, I have managed to remove the features that have annoyed me so far. I still prefer this design and layout but the annoying things were just building up a bit.

I've installed a chrome extension (personalised web) to add some custom css. Removed the max-width, darkened the background a little (really helps my eyes), dropped the main text size down a size, and now the header bar has the forum list as a fixed position so it scrolls up and down the page but the rest of it doesn't.

Much improved experience. If anybody wants my stylesheet just let me know.

I'll give it a go if you want to share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

First gmail & now Boards. Can Boards confirm that they will not "do a gmail" & finally impose the new look on those who don't want it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,885 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The usercp is virtually impossible to access when using mobile browsers. I like the look of this but its just doesn't suit how I use the site at all.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I hate the boards.ie bar on top. It feels like something you should be able to summon when you need it. Makes the screen needlessly much smaller, and it looks cheap and tacky in the blue it's in. The "boards.ie" logo following me around the screen is very annoying and a waste of space.

Like the big chunky reply/quote/thank buttons though, and I don't mind the space on the side. The top bar really is awful though, and I'll be using the old skin until it's changed...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wish ti was a direct link to usercp instead of a dropdown to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

keane2097 wrote: »
    Same for me in that the posts are resizing themselves correctly in Firefox but not in Chrome.

yeah i dont think resizing to 75 is optimal either because it makes the text small and difficult to read. Is this just a chrome css peculiarity or something?

I had set text size to large (150%) in adjust text size settings in windows screen resolution settings. Putting it back to small solves my problem.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

From what I can see it's very nice. Will take a get of bit of getting used to but I'll let it as my default for a while and see how we go.

A few issues I have just now are:

In the boards.ie dropdown at the top, the links for "My Threads" is gone (like there used to be in the old beta skin). This is a big loss imho because it meant you didn't have to go back to the home page and then click My Threads. You could get to it from anywhere on the site with just one click.

The margins are a bit weird. There's a lot of white space.
    (Using Google Chrome on 1600X900 res)

Everything else seems really slick and shiny, just a matter of getting used to some new layout features (Preview post is now where Submit post was?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I'm used to the old beta skin. I find the contrast of the dark blue and black banners against white initially jarring - but maybe that will just take getting used to.
    An annoying thing is the 'my forums' drop down not showing them all if you have too many, and if you click more it just shows your usercp? I just want them all to pop up at once.

+ 1 to this.

Subbed forums are listed alphabetically under My Forums, so easy to find.

Now the ones later in the alphabet aren't listed. So I click on "View All" and end up in 'User CP' where they are listed in order of category - and as such, when I'm used to the former, look like they are all over the place.

Is this your way of telling us we should only sub a certain number of forums :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Been using it for a little bit now and am happy with it, but the home page definitely is very sterile looking. I know it's just the beta, and that's my only real complaint so far.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

It says I'm using "Internet Explorer 7 on Windows" ??????

but:

Version: 8.0.6001.18702
    Build: 86001
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
    Language: English (United States)
    Active Printer Samsung Virtual Printer,winspool,EBOOK

Cipher Strength 128-bit
    Content Advisor Enabled
    IEAK Install No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd have to agree with the zoom/empty space at the sides issue. I like to have as much content onscreen at once, so at the smallest readable font size. Defeats the purpose if the bounding box of the text shrinks too.

Also I've noticed on the homepage, the ad bar on the right - if you're using adblock, there's a 1 or 2 pixel horizontal line the width the ad bar would have been, but nothing underneath it. That's a bit annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

juke wrote: »
    Is this your way of telling us we should only sub a certain number of forums :(

No, it's our way of saying we can't have a design that caters for everybody who will use a feature, ever :) I'll lift exactly what I posted regarding My Forums in the mod forum where this was raised initially, hopefully it will shed light on the decision:

(The limit of 45 is) all down to design and trying to find the best balance.

For example it may be possible to accommodate more in some form of grouping (e.g. A-F, F-M) with submenus but then people will complain about the extra hover, or the extra click, or the fact they can no longer see at a glance which of all their forums have new posts. If we reduce the text size then it becomes harder to read and more cramped, like our old design. If we make it 4 columns or 5 columns then it just won't fit on small screens or people who like the browse the site in a small window. Keeping in mind that if we go with 60, or 75 forums there'll be questions about why not N+15 - there are even users following > 200 forums (though very few of those). So where does one draw the line?

To give you an idea about how far outside the standard deviations we've already gone:

There are 18,980 users following forums.
    There are 1,141 users following more than 15.
    There are 230 users following more than 30.
    There are 71 users following more than 45

wnolan1992 wrote: »

In the boards.ie dropdown at the top, the links for "My Threads" is gone (like there used to be in the old beta skin). This is a big loss imho because it meant you didn't have to go back to the home page and then click My Threads. You could get to it from anywhere on the site with just one click.

Gone from there, but not from view. Look over to the right beside your Avatar & Username. A nice new My Forums dropdown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Don't like it wastes alot of space

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

duckysauce wrote: »
    Don't like it wastes alot of space

no offence but how do i change it back! only jokin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

TPD wrote: »
    Also I've noticed on the homepage, the ad bar on the right - if you're using adblock, there's a 1 or 2 pixel horizontal line the width the ad bar would have been, but nothing underneath it. That's a bit annoying.

In my own opinion anybody who has an issue with Adblock on Boards doesn't deserve any time. Why should it be fixed when you won't even support the site via ad revenue? The mind actually boggles at the cheek to be honest. Ross used to ban people around here who admitted to using AdBlock on Boards, they were doing him out of a salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Looks cheap and generic, it could be any other interent forum on first glance.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

jumpguy wrote: »
    I hate the boards.ie bar on top. It feels like something you should be able to summon when you need it. Makes the screen needlessly much smaller, and it looks cheap and tacky in the blue it's in. The "boards.ie" logo following me around the screen is very annoying and a waste of space.

Like the big chunky reply/quote/thank buttons though, and I don't mind the space on the side. The top bar really is awful though, and I'll be using the old skin until it's changed...

Agree about the big boards.ie bar takes uo too much space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    Looks O.K. on my TouchPad but can't use it on my computer (Latop, WinXP-SP3, IE8) because:I suspect there might be a registry setting which has been changed but no-one will confirm (or deny) that. - Still looking.

~

You can reinstall IE8 if you like. Go to Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs -> Tick the 'Show Updates' box at the top and then remove IE8. Then re-run Windows Update to reinstall. It definitely seems like you have an issue related to the install of IE8 on your machine. The usual caveats apply - back up your favourites etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

No, it's our way of saying we can't have a design that caters for everybody who will use a feature, ever :) I'll lift exactly what I posted regarding My Forums in the mod forum where this was raised initially, hopefully it will shed light on the decision:

Ah, fair enough....I had a horrible suspicion you'd have a reasonable reason :)

I'll just have to go and cull 6.

No other particular complaints - unlike many, I like the new notification box - better than the red flashing icon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement