Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers allowance

Options
  • 12-06-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all, Just looking for some clarity. I'm 22, just finished in college, back living at home with my dad, and actively seeking work.

I have recently signed on and am waiting on the means test, which I have been called for this Friday, however I know that because of my fathers income I will more than likely receive the minimum payment of 40 euro. However my boyfriend is moving in with me and my father in two weeks, and I just want to clarify that from the time he moves in we will be seen as co-habitants, and thus I will be allowed the exception of:

If you are living with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and living with your parents you will not be assessed for benefit and privilege, even if you are under 25 years of age.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

Should I inform the inspector when I met with her Friday of the plan to move in together, or should I do that once he has moved in.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

nessie911 wrote: »
    Hey all, Just looking for some clarity. I'm 22, just finished in college, back living at home with my dad, and actively seeking work.

I have recently signed on and am waiting on the means test, which I have been called for this Friday, however I know that because of my fathers income I will more than likely receive the minimum payment of 40 euro. However my boyfriend is moving in with me and my father in two weeks, and I just want to clarify that from the time he moves in we will be seen as co-habitants, and thus I will be allowed the exception of:

If you are living with your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and living with your parents you will not be assessed for benefit and privilege, even if you are under 25 years of age.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

Should I inform the inspector when I met with her Friday of the plan to move in together, or should I do that once he has moved in.

Thanks for any advice.

A change in circumstances will only apply from the time your b/f is co-hab with you. Any earnings your b/f may have will be assessed as means against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭nessie911

eastbono wrote: »
    A change in circumstances will only apply from the time your b/f is co-hab with you. Any earnings your b/f may have will be assessed as means against you.

He is currently on S/W so it would mean that his income would effect me but not as much as my fathers, so it works out better for us that way.

We are both hoping to do internships, and neither of us like the taught of waiting the 3months to apply for one, but we must wait. So any extra income from now till then is beneficial.

nessie911 wrote: »
    He is currently on S/W so it would mean that his income would effect me but not as much as my fathers, so it works out better for us that way.

We are both hoping to do internships, and neither of us like the taught of waiting the 3months to apply for one, but we must wait. So any extra income from now till then is beneficial.

With the jobbridge internship you will qualify for an extra €50 pw. All the best with the internship and your future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 catk123

Hi guys,

I'm new here was looking for info about the jobbridge internships. I got so sick of applying for jobs and hearing nothing that I ended up applying for an internship I started one about 3 weeks ago but i really don't like it at all I'm getting all the complicated and S**t jobs to do, I feel like such a fool. Really not fitting in out there. I'm a quiet and shy person and hate complaining but i really don't like it. I think my boss hates me and thinks I'm stupid too lol. I feel sick everyday going in there. I was just wondering if anyone had info about what to do? If i leave will i be cut off of the dole? or is the only way out of it to get a job?

Thanks smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EmerS82

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm new to boards and cannot quite figure out how to start a new thread myself.

Can anyone advise how much JSA my fiancée will qualify for when his JSB ends in January, he is currently on JSB of €188 per week. We have two children, a four year old and a five week old. I am currently on maternity leave and getting €262 per week. I will be returning to work in November where I will be getting €460 gross per week (€395 net).

Can anyone advise if he will be entitled to JSA (and if so roughly how much) once we are means tested, I cannot make head nor tail of the info on welfare.ie or citizens advice. We are worried sick that he will not get anything and if this is the case he will have to move away and leave us here which I really don't want.

I would appreciate any replies, thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

EmerS82 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but I'm new to boards and cannot quite figure out how to start a new thread myself.

Can anyone advise how much JSA my fiancée will qualify for when his JSB ends in January, he is currently on JSB of €188 per week. We have two children, a four year old and a five week old. I am currently on maternity leave and getting €262 per week. I will be returning to work in November where I will be getting €460 gross per week (€395 net).

Can anyone advise if he will be entitled to JSA (and if so roughly how much) once we are means tested, I cannot make head nor tail of the info on welfare.ie or citizens advice. We are worried sick that he will not get anything and if this is the case he will have to move away and leave us here which I really don't want.

I would appreciate any replies, thanks in advance.

I have taken the gross figure as the means test is done on gross less prsi and union dues. I get a figure of €132.40 approx. I have also done a quick calculation for you if you wanted to apply for family income supplement and I get a figure of €124.20 so it appears that as a family unit you would be better off with partner claiming jsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jensully19

Hi all,

I am just wondering about job seekers allowance.
    Firsty i am wondering about my payment , i got a letter sayin i only get €30 aweek but wen colllected my first payment last week ended up gettin €138. Do i only get 30 a week and was that paymemnt last week just arrears??
    I live with my boyfrien so his income is taken into account I know bit only asking as I think 30 a month is very little to get when we have rent to pay etc

Secondly I am wondering is it possible to arrange with the local post office for my boyfriend to collect my payment for me just for one week as I have to help my sister for one week with her toddler as she will just be after having a new baby aswell.

All answers greatly appreciated as I am very confused about the payments and the website doesn really give any clarification.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

catk123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm new here was looking for info about the jobbridge internships. I got so sick of applying for jobs and hearing nothing that I ended up applying for an internship I started one about 3 weeks ago but i really don't like it at all I'm getting all the complicated and S**t jobs to do, I feel like such a fool. Really not fitting in out there. I'm a quiet and shy person and hate complaining but i really don't like it. I think my boss hates me and thinks I'm stupid too lol. I feel sick everyday going in there. I was just wondering if anyone had info about what to do? If i leave will i be cut off of the dole? or is the only way out of it to get a job?

Thanks smile.gif

HI there, just wondering how this worked out for you?

Hey I hate Mondays,

I ended up contacting the SW and they assured me that my dole would not be affected so I told them at work I was leaving and they were fine about it. I finished my internship Friday the 29th officially, and went to my hatch the following Monday everything went smoothly thank god, I just had to put in writing why it didn't work out and also get a letter from the Host Organization. I only actually got paid my extra 50 euro last week after 6 weeks of waiting,and I didn’t get all I was owed so I ended up having to go back into the SW last week and try find out why I hadn't gotten it all. My normal hatch wasn’t open so had to go to another they didn’t know my case so they weren’t sure why but she spoke to her supervisor and said if I was owed anything it would be in the bank this week but again it wasn't so have to go back into them again tomorrow and find out what the problem is. It was a bit of hassle overall but I'm still so happy that I decided to leave as I really didn't like it there at all.

Catk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

I'm delighted it worked out for you. Would you ever do another one? I think I will try one but will take my time picking one. That is awful that you had a bad experience but it sounds like you where a hard worker and gave it your best shot. The company seemed like some shower to work for... Hope they won't take advantage again...Can I ask what type of work it was?
    Best of luck

• Advertisement

Looking back I don't think the place was bad I think it was just too much for me to get my head around. It was accounts work, which I like and have done courses in. I'm normally so good with numbers and stuff like that but I just couldn't seem to get my head round how they do things there. It was just to hard of a job for an intern, you really needed a background in accounting to be there in my opinion but I didn't have enough. I would defiantly do another if I find the right one for me. I would never rule it out so if you are looking to do one deffo don't be put off by my experience you just need to find the right one for you as you said.

Best of luck with it and let me know if you do find one :)

Advertisement