Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myson Power Extra Problem

Options
  • 19-06-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

I've got 3 plumbing questions.

Here is a diagram of the location of the important parts of the system in relation to one another.

7401165226_140bb6cd99_b.jpg

The first concerns a problem with the Central Heating. The system is 3 Zones. ie. Upstairs rads which includes the rads in the attic conversion and bathroom on the 3rd story at the back of the house(right of picture). Downstairs rads and Hot Water.

Hot Water is working. Downstairs is working but upstairs stopped working. I had a look in the boiler cupboard. After a bit of testing I discovered the following.

Turning on the Hot water and/or Downstair Zones from the control panel on the second floor makes the LED on the Myson Power Extra (Valves/Pumps???) corresponding to those zones light up and the Boiler turns itself on.

When I turn on the upstairs zone on its own, its corresponding Myson LED does not light up, the boiler fails to fire up and the temp indicator on the boiler drops from its preset 60 down into the 20's and the upstairs rads do not heat up.

If I switch the offending Myson over to Manual operation and turn on the upstairs zone, again, the boiler fails to fire up and the upstairs zone rads still fail to heat up.

With the upstairs zone Myson slider left in the manual position, if I turn on either/or the Hot water or downstair zone, the boiler comes on and those zones heat up as does the upstairs zone. ie. Even if I haven't actually turned on the upstairs zone from the control panel.

I understand why this is the case because with the offending myson switched to manual the valve for that zone is permanently open.

No fuses on the MCP are tripped. Could there be fuses in the junction box in the boiler cupboard where the 3 Mysons are wired to? Is this a simply case of a failed actuator in the offending myson that I can replace myself. Could a failed actuator also be responsible for the boiler not getting the signal to fire up when that zone is activated.

7379421584_c7a8302225_b.jpg

Mysons left to right: Hot Water(Working) / Upstairs (Not working-No LED) / Downstairs(Working)

Second plumbing problem. The Mains pipe going to the cold water tanks in the attics is knocking something fierce when the tanks are almost finished filling. I presume I need to replace the ball cock valve with an anti knocking valve. I should also get some lids for these tanks. Can anyone recommend a source for these parts and indeed for the replacement Myson actuator if thats what I need.

The attic conversion bathroom at the back of the house is fed by the 1.5 bar pump because it is almost at the same level as the cold water tanks and the boiler. Ocassionally the sink mixer tap spurts wildly and loudly. When I say occasionally, I mean that when it does it, it does it for the duration of the time you want to use it. However another day and it would not spurt at all for the duration of use. I went up to test just there. It wouldn't spurt no matter what I did. (Cold half on/full on, Hot half on/full on, Hot&Cold half on/Full on) I happen to have all zones switched on for the boiler tests mentioned above with the upstairs myson valve on manual. tbh its so cold today (12ºC in June FFS!!), the house could do with a bit of heat so I left the heating on for the whole house even after the myson/boiler tests were finished.

Could the fact that the heating zones are on as well as the hot water have a correlation with whether or not this sink tap spurts. The WC cistern refilling nor the shower(not electric) never seem to spurt despite being on the same 1.5 bar pump as the sink. Some initial research had me thinking the spurting tap had something to do with the overflow back into the cold water tank not having enough height because the tanks are to the side of the attic under the slope of the roof. I read that this lack of height can mean air is sucked back up/down?? the overflow when I tap is operated. However can this be ruled out as the problem if the Shower and WC cistern on the same pump as the spurting tap do not spurt.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

re, zone valve, have you checked the upstair room thermostat is working?
    have the grey &orange wires from the myson valve been wired in, or cut back?

+1 on the 'cinema area' you must have an understanding wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

DGOBS wrote: »
    re, zone valve, have you checked the upstair room thermostat is working?
    have the grey &orange wires from the myson valve been wired in, or cut back?

+1 on the 'cinema area' you must have an understanding wife!

That room designation back at the renovation planning stage a few years ago was 'Aspirational'. Ended up being a bedroom with ensuite. :o:D Hasn't been money in the last few years for a replacement projector anyway but when financials improve it now won't reside in a dedicated home cinema room but a discrete installation in the main Living room probably.

I don't think we have zone thermostats except on the Hot water cylinder. Every rad in the house except a towel warmer in one of the bathrooms have TRL's. At first I though the problem with the myson and/or boiler was simply that the upstairs ambient temp was higher than the highest setting on the upstairs TRL's and the TRL's were not opening on the upstairs rads. I wondered that seeing as this problem only became a problem this Summer and our habit of turning on upstairs and downstairs at the same time either manually or via the timer, meant that the hot air was rising from downstairs raising the temp quickly upstairs and the upstairs TRL's were closing before we happened to check the upstairs rads. However I discovered that the inflow pipe of the upstairs rads wasn't even getting hot so I guess the TRL's could be ruled out as the problem.

There has been no change or work done on the wiring since installation. It just stopped working sometime in the last few weeks.

No room stats turning on and off the zones??? why not??? that's part of the idea!

Timeclock signals the room stat, room stat open the zone valve, zone valve via aux switch signals the boiler.....it's called 'interlock'

Assuming you have a multi-channel timeclock (3 channel), I would expect the channel for upstair has gone faulty (new timeclock)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

When you open the valves that are working to manual does the led come on and fire the boiler?
    It's possible there is a loose connection or as DGOBS said the time clock. Is it a Sunvic 307 by any chance.

Re the hot water. It could be a mixture of where the hot feed to the pump is taken from the cylinder and the set point of the cylinder stat. It should be taken from a tapping on the side of the cylinder or a Warrex flange. If it's taken from the expansion pipe it can take air in and if the temp is up it will cavitate a lot causing the tap to spurt.

The water hammer in the attic can be sorted with a shock arrestor. It's a little vessel that connects to the pipe before the ballcock and it should do the job, they can be got in any plumbers merchants or B&Q.
    The quality of the ballcock could also be the problem. I've found some of the arms to be loose and causes it to bob in the water and cause the same thing.

DGobs, There is certainly nowhere to set the temperature for the heating zones other than on each TRV valve on each rad...that I can find anyway. The only actual thermostat that I can see is on the hotwater cylinder.

John, I'll do that test tomorrow. To clarify, you want me to switch the working hotwater and downstairs zones to manual as well as the non working upstairs zone and then turn all the zones on via the Controller and see do the LEDS come on on the Mysons for the hotwater and downstairs zones. I already know that the upstairs zones Myson LED does not come on when this zone is turned on from the controller

The 'timeclock' is a Sunvic select 307 XLS alright ! :D

I'll do some further testing in the moro. The LEDs on the Sunvic 307 controller for all the zones including the faulty upstairs zone all light up and I can hear a relay clicking for all zones including the non woking upstairs zone.

• Advertisement

There is no power going from the clock to the zone valve. If you are confident you will need a multimeter to diagnose electracly. Im suprised it won't fire the boiler when in manual, it would suggest there is no interlock in place.

Did the test suggested last night and the when I switched the working zone mysons to manual, the LEDs on the mysons did not light up. They only lit up when I went back to the sunvic controller and turned on the zones from there. On thing I noticed is that the non working middle myson manual switch does not pose as much resistance when slid across to manual, whereas the manual sliders on the other two mysons are tougher to slide across and I can hear the actuator motor whirring as I move the slider.

Today I did a reset of the sunvic. Didn't change anything.

Then I undid the 2 screws on the bottom of the sunvic. I took it off the wall and can know see how the electrical cables are wired to the back plate and how the sunvic slots on where the pins engage with the electrical clips on the backplate. First off, with the screws loosened, just touching the sunvic caused intermittent connections. A wiggle would make the screen and the leds on the sunvic flash. I'd also hear something going on up in the boiler when I'd wiggle the sunvic.

So anyway, I put the sunvic back on the wall plate and tighten the 2 screws. Reprogrammed the timer. Turned on all zones. Now the upstairs zone(middle Myson) that wasn't working now had its LED lit up but the bloody hotwater zone and downstair zone mysons that were previously working stopped working. ie. No lit LED on these Mysons.

Hotwater is more important than upstairs heating at this time. So I took the sunvic back off and put it straight back on. Did another reset. Reprogrammed it again. Now we were back to the old scenario. Hotwater and Downstairs zone mysons with lit LED's and boiler coming on and the upstairs zone myson back not working again.

Could this be a case that there actually isn't anything wrong with the upstairs Myson and nothing really wrong with the sunvic either and its just bad intermittent connections with the pins on the sunvic and the connection post/pins/clips or whatever they are called on the sunvic backplate. Assuming thats the case do I just find the fuse on the fuseboard and knock it off and tighten all the backplate posts.

Could this be a case that someone drunkenly stumbled against the panel and knocked something loose?

I have a voltage tester. Would that do. ie. yoke with 2 prongs black and red. Says 3.5-230v. Tested it on a DC battery there. Black prong to black post and red to red has a red+ LED light up on the tester. Reverse polarity and the green- led lights up on the tester.

How would I go about testing the back plate connections with this? I presume power needs to be on for this test :D

turn on the zone (at the clock) test the brown-t-blue wire going to the valve, if you have 220-240v ac, then the zone valve head needs replacing, if you havent the correct voltage and are 100% there is no room thermostat upstairs then replace the timeclock.

You should consider retrofitting a few wireless room stats to that system to improve your efficiency

turn on the zone (at the clock) test the brown-t-blue wire going to the valve, if you have 220-240v ac, then the zone valve head needs replacing, if you havent the correct voltage and are 100% there is no room thermostat upstairs then replace the timeclock.

You should consider retrofitting a few wireless room stats to that system to improve your efficiency

Ok, maybe my voltage thingie must be just a continuity tester. Theres no LCD on it to say what the voltage is.

Can the Mysons still be the problem if it seemed to start working when I refitted the sunvic control panel albeit the other two zones now stopped working. Refitting the sunvic again made it go back to the original upstairs myson not lighting up and the others working again.

Did some research and I assume my Baxi Megaflow 28HE-IE boiler has a flow switch interlock which works with the TRV's on every rad to turn off boiler and thats the reason why no room thermostat was fitted.

• Advertisement

No, TRVs do not interlock with ANY boiler, unless they are wireless programmable ones.

TBH, at this point it would suggest you have a service technician look at it.

Surprised. I was sure the latest information about the Myson Valve who's LED didn't light up starting to work after refitting the sunvic to the back plate and the other two valves stopping working at he same time and then the reversion back after refitting the sunvic to the back plate the second time, indicated that there was nothing wrong with any of the myson valves after all and the problem looked like intermittant contacts between the Pins on the Sunvic and the cable contacts on the back plate.

ie. even a moron like me could turn off the power, make sure all cables are firmly clamped in their binding posts and use a needle nose pliers to pinch the micro aligater type clips closer together so that all the sunvic pins make reliable contact all at the same time.

I thought this new information was ruling out some possibilities and narrowing things down. ie. We could rule out cable damage or a cable being pulled out somewhere else. It had to be either the back plate connections or problems inside the Sunvic itself. (To clarify, no apparent funny behaviour from the sunvic like corrupted display, error codes, flickering LEDs on the control panel etc except when I wiggled it on its back plate. All relays clicking when selecting zones, all LEDs on the control panel lighting when a zone is selected etc.)

As for the Flowswitch. Perhaps I phrased it wrong but my research seems to indicate that the Baxi Megaflow 28HE.IE has a flow switch which switches the boiler and pump off when it detects a flow rate of less than 4.5L/hr. ie all TRV's have fully closed. At given intervals it turns on the pump and samples the flow rate. If the flow rate has increased beyond 4.5L indicating some TRV's have opened up, the Boiler fires up. If the flow rate is still below 4.5L/hr the boiler doesn't fire up again, the pump goes back off again until its time to sample the flow rate again.

FrOm the info given, it's a. The Timeclock b. the valve
    You need a meter to check for voltages to find out.

A few days ago, I said sounds like the clock, and we haven't moved much further, that's why I suggested maybe get someone to have a look at it for you

I posted yesterday after noon before work. Most of the posts were last night and this morning. Our work shifts don't overlap obviously. Its not like this has been going back and forth for days and days with zero progress indicating that you're dealing with a total moron necessitating calling in the pro's before I kill myself :):D

Look I probably will call in the pro's anyway as to be honest the boiler is due a service, I was just hoping that could be delayed a few weeks for financial reasons. ie. Obviously I should ensure its all running perfectly with a service by the end of the Summer before the Autumn/Winter kicks in. If I have to, I'll find the money for the service sooner.

However now its as much a puzzle my brain wants to help solve as anything else.
    Can you explain how it can still be a problem with the Myson Valve if the thing started working again after refitting the Sunvic control panel. (The only problem was the other 2 zone mysons stopped working instead) A second refit of the sunvic got the the other 2 mysons back working again and the original back not working again.) How can the problem be anything other than intermittant connections given this new information. I am genuinely interested. I find learning why your intuition is wrong/faulty is as much a valuable learning experience as learning why you are right.

Please don't attack, after all, you are receiving impartial, free advice, that I am giving up my time to give you.

We haven't made any significant progress in my opinion, other than rule out the upstairs mv as the issue

No one is calling you a moron, you just don't have the basic test equipment to correctly diagnose the problem (a multimeter or voltage indicator)

The 'swapping' if the fault from one mv, to the other 2, is either a faulty time clock (never had that particular fault occur before, ie. the fault moving from one channel to both others, but never say never) more likely it's a wiring issue, either intermittent or caused inadvertently by yourself.

That is why checking voltages accross l-n-e can reveal the issue.

These are the reasons why I was suggesting (helpfully) you get someone it to check for you. If you want your serviceman to do this, make sure beforehand he is capable, as some service guys are not comfortable with anything but the boiler (sad but true)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

@ Calibos .
    Please do not attack the very people who are trying to help you.
    There are many professionals here who volunteer their time and experience to benefit others. If you can not ask for help in a polite and courteous manner then pay someone to come out and fix this for you.
    Personal attacks will get a ban. This is the only warming i'm giving

WOAH!! Hold the horses there lads! Who's attacking anyone!

I've reread my post to try and see where this interpretation is coming from. I thought I was good humouredly(hence smileys) pointing out that rather than this dragging on for days with zero progress that DGobs intimated, that infact most of the posts were within a 24-30 hour period and that surely we had made at least some progress.

Self depracatingly calling myself a moron not intimating that DGobs really thought I was one. I totally get that in threads like these it can be frustrating for the experts/ tradespeople giving advice if they feel that it's not really sinking in and no progress made. Ie they have to make a judgement call as to whether they feel the subject is beyond the abilities of the questioner and thus obviously make the suggestion to call in the experts. I just didn't feel we were at that point quite yet and was trying to make that point albeit hamfistedly.

The way I saw it, in 3 or 4 posts spread out over not much more than a 24 hour period albeit over the second half of one day and the first half of the next, we seemed to have ruled out the very place where the problem initially seemed to lie. ie. the Myson valve, it's actuator and/or it's wiring(at least back to the Sunvic controller wall plate) I thought that was pretty good progress for a few posts and 24 hours, hence my surprise that DGobs seemed to be throwing in the towel so to speak. I never imagined that making my surprise known or questioning why it was thought no progress had been made, might be construed as an attack.

Tbh I think DGobs might have missed the bit about the MV valve working again and the problem shifting to the other two instead. ie ruling out the MV and it's actuator/wiring and hence his opinion that no progress had been made. I went on to re-iterate that information several times in follow on posts because DGobs was still saying the problem could be with the MV.

Now of course I only had a feeling he might have missed that new information but he's the expert and I'm not. Perhaps this new info didn't rule out the MV yet like I thought it did. Thus I asked for clarification as to why the new info doesnt rule out the MV. I've a feeling this last bit is where the impression that I was attacking him came in. When I said ' I find learning where your intuition is wrong.........' , I meant, ' I find learning where ones intuition is wrong.....' ie Mine :D. I learn just as much when someone explains to me why I am wrong as I do when I am right. ie please tell me why I am wrong so I can learn.

Its only in this mornings post that DGobs acknowledged that the new info actually does rule out that upstairs MV. There was indeed some progress within that first 24 hours, but my posts must have been initiating the tldr response as its only being acknowledged now. I am not complaining about that, if DGobs missed the info which explains why he felt there was no progress, that does not cast DGobs in a bad light or anything. He's being good enough to help a complete stranger all the while dealing with his own work and home responsibilities.

Please accept that my posts were in no way an ungrateful attack.

Assuming that My understanding to date that we've localised the problem to the backplate connections or Sunvic controller is correct. Can you guys explain why I need to know the voltage and not just continuity for which I actually do have a tester for as pointed out in an earlier post.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That previous post could read either way. Unfortunately online words are all we have to go on . I accept there was no intention to offend.

I am not coming here giving up my time, the try to justify myself, I would rather just a 'thanks for your help and time'

If you wish to disregard my advice, then do so

I am not coming here giving up my time, the try to justify myself, I would rather just a 'thanks for your help and time'

If you wish to disregard my advice, then do so

Wow, you still seem to think I was attacking you and being ungrateful.

I thanked every one of your posts as and when you posted them. I do appreciate the help and time. Its unfortunate that you seemed to interpret every question I asked as a sign of ungratefulness. However there was reasonable doubt in my mind that you had noticed the new info about the problem shifting to the other MV's (thus ruling any of the MV's out as the location of the problem and hinting that the fault was at the backplate/controller pin interface). Hence the questions were not a sign of ungratefulness but just me trying to clarify whether your subsequent advice to call in the experts took into account all of the information.

Indeed you don't need to justify yourself but it is unfortunate that you erroneously accused me of attacking you almost getting me into trouble with the mods and which forced me in the course of my defense of the attack accusation to highlight that you had missed information in my posts and thus your advice to get in the experts was premature. I wouldn't have pointed that out otherwise and would indeed have said 'thanks for your help and time' and quietly ignored your advice.

We all appreciate the help and advice we get here. We all understand that you guys are giving your valuable free time to help people. We all understand that there are limits to that free time and no one expects that advice to flow indefinitely. We know there is a time when the experts must make a judgement call on whether to continue giving their time and hand holding us or to advise we get a technician in.

However, half listening/reading does neither side any favours as erroneous/premature advice might be given. If your going to help people and advise them then read everything or if your not prepared to do that then leave it to one of the other regulars who will.

Onto the progress that was made today.......

Despite asking for clarification whether my voltage tester was the correct tool and not getting it (definitively at any rate), I went ahead and tested the contacts on the backplate.

7414043244_ab893bf105.jpg7414051762_f0b330d711.jpg

Black prong to Neutral and red prong to masterLive. Red light on tester lit up. Keeping black prong on Neutral and testing Live 1,2,3,4,5,6 gave me voltage and the red light where one expected them given the circuit diagram and labels printed on the back of the Sunvic controller. ie Zone 1 Off contact gave a red light, Zone 1 On contact gave no red light etc etc

I assumed from this that the wiring in the back plate itself was fine.

It really was looking like the problem was simply intermittant contact by the connection pins on the back of the controller.

After studying/examining both parts I found what the problem was and why it seemed to develope 2 years after install.

The backplate engages with the casing of the controller on one side of the controller (the left) An uneven wall can mean the plastic standoffs on the other side of the Sunvic casing don't necessarily support the right hand side of the casing. There are buttons on the right hand side of the Sunvic controller casing. Over time people were pressing the rubber keys on that side too hard, torquing the casing on that unsupported side (plastic standoffs not making contact with the wall). This torquing eventually bent the plastic retention clips on the backplate and the plastic of the sunvic casing where they catch. This eventually allowed the Controller body not to engage fully on the back plate and one or more of the connection pins on the back lost contact with their corresponding connections on the backplate causing the symptoms I outlined throughout this thread.

7414646474_344a3a5632_n.jpg7414648238_82f71ffd02_n.jpg

My sollution was to loosen the backplate screws and put some mm thick spacers behind the wall plate before retightening the screws. This meant I could push the Sunvic controller home without need for the broken plastic backplate clip holding and warping I might add the Sunvic casing against the wall. The uneven wall was also a problem here. One was warping the casing against the uneven wall to get it to engage with the backplate clips. When the clips where unbroken, this was fine. The casing was held tighly albeit warped against the wall. However when the button pressing torquing eventually broke the clip, the casing of the sunvic rebounds back to its unstressed normal shape which then held the casing and thus pins further away from the uneven wall and backplate. Some pins now lost contact. The spacers take the uneven wall out of the equation and allowed the Controller to be pressed home fully with all pins engaging with their corresponding contacts once again. Now I just have to fit a thicker spacer behind the unsupported right hand side of the controller casing to prevent the toquing from button presses pivoting the casing and popping it off the backplate on the other side (now that the plastic backplate clips that used to hold it on are broken off). Some double sided foam adhesive tape should do the trick.

So while I do not doubt that the Sunvic 307 is prone to other types of failures and probably still deserves its reputation or lack thereof, I think what I have concluded might well explain all those 'Faulty' Sunvic 307's that subsequently bench tested as working normally.

How many service calls and €140 replacement Controller expenditures were down to this apparent simple casing design fault I wonder?

Final result, is that all zones and MV's are now operating normally and perfectly.

7414098554_753841ff36.jpg

I hope this new information is a help to others.

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted. The sunvic controller has week contacts anyway.

Advertisement