Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 24" gaming monitor?

Options
  • 11-06-2012 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a new pc monitor. It will mostly be used for gaming. Currently I have a Samsung 215TW, it cost me about €600 six years ago! I found the image great on this monitor. I would like to update to something that has a higher res as I now have a pc that can handle it. I find some of the very big monitors uncomfortable to use so I think 24" would be a good size.I'm totally out of the loop on these things and have €300-400 to spend. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/60+cm+%2824%29+/52440/Dell+UltraSharp+U2412M+%28schwarz%29.article

Look around for prices, but that's probably the best 24" monitor out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

At 24" the only resolution is either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. Here are a few examples of monitors to have a look at:

Dell U2312HM - €189.95. Great IPS monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. Many people on this forum have it and all rate it highly.

Dell U2412M - €255

Dell U2410 - €419 (A bit pricey but if you have the funds, why not?)

Dell monitors are great quality products, which is why I recommended them. If you wanted 120hz or 3d get this one:

BenQ XL2420T - €369

All items from Komplett.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've owned the 2410, and currently use the 2412. No point really going for the 2410, IMO. If it's just a gaming monitor it's wasted money. You might want to look at a Catleap monitor as well though (27", 2560x1600). Very popular here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah the 2410 is a bit expensive but it is a IPS panel and has loads of connections options which might come in handy. Should I be taking the monitors refresh rate into consideration?
    Also if I went for something with a really high res I would probably be using the non native res for some games. Would that degrade the image quality much? Last time I used a big monitor I got bad eye strain but that could have been because it was a poor monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I can game on my catleap for 3 to 4 hours without strain, whereas on my old 24" I was suffering after around 2 hours, and it was a pretty decent 24" at that.

its 2560*1440 S-IPS LED. it'd put you at the forefront of quality monitors. honestly, there isn't much you can upgrade to after owning one. it uses the same panel as the apple 27" cinema display, the same one in the 27" iMac if you've seen them.

if you're not convinced, or worried about only having one input (DL-DVI), or don't have the horsepower to game at 1440p, the DELL u2412m would be my second choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This is my first time reading up on catleap monitors, they sound amazing for the price. Not even sure if I could fit it on my desk but I will look into it.

I am currently running a 570 gtx. I don't buy new cards very often though. I would be worried about running future games at native res. Also having to order them from Asia is not so good as I can't return it if I'm not happy.

The Hanns G HZ281 was the last time I used a big monitor. My eye felt awful after 30 mins. This was the only time I can remember having eye strain after gaming so maybe it was just a poor monitor and was not a size problem.

Advertisement